• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Reports Financial Results for Third Quarter Fiscal 2011

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) today reported revenue of $843.9 million for the third quarter of fiscal 2011 ended Oct. 31, 2010, up 4.0 percent from the prior quarter and down 6.6 percent from $903.2 million from the same period a year earlier.

On a GAAP basis, the company recorded net income of $84.9 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, compared with a GAAP net loss of $141.0 million, or $0.25 per share, in the previous quarter and GAAP net income of $107.6 million, or $0.19 per diluted share, in the same period a year earlier. GAAP gross margin was 46.5 percent compared with 16.6 percent in the previous quarter and 43.4 percent in the same period a year earlier.

"We have turned the corner," said Jen-Hsun Huang, NVIDIA's president and chief executive officer. "We have restored our speed of execution and are regaining share in desktops. Only seven months after shipping our first processor based on the Fermi architecture, we have begun production on seven more GPUs, including the GeForce GTX 580, which sets a new standard for performance. The Fermi architecture is now in every segment of our desktop, notebook and workstation product lines.

"We've also made big strides this quarter in positioning ourselves at the center of cloud and mobile computing, which are transforming the computer landscape. Tesla now powers some of the world's fastest and greenest supercomputers. And Tegra will soon be featured in a range of smartphones and tablets we're building with our partners," he said.

Outlook
The outlook for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011 is as follows:
  • Revenue is expected to be up 3 to 5 percent from the third quarter.
  • GAAP gross margin is expected to be flat.
  • GAAP operating expenses are expected to be approximately $300 million.
  • GAAP tax rate is expected to be 18 to 20 percent.
Third Quarter Fiscal 2011 Highlights:
  • NVIDIA held the second annual GPU Technology Conference, which highlighted the growth of parallel computing, with five times more papers submitted and twice as many sessions.
  • The Tianhe-1A supercomputer, which incorporates 7,168 GPUs, was unveiled as the world's fastest supercomputer. Housed in the National Supercomputer Center, in Tianjin, China, the system is three-times more energy efficient than an equivalent CPU-only system and takes up half as much floor space.
  • NVIDIA launched 12 new GPU products, including the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 and GT 430.
  • After quarter end, NVIDIA launched and shipped the GeForce GTX 580 graphics card, which was received positively by media and industry analysts.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

T

Taskforce

Boy oh boy that fool huang sounds happy, wasn't he saying Fermi was a failure the other day.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Boy oh boy that fool huang sounds happy, wasn't he saying Fermi was a failure the other day.

I thought he said that something like aspects of the development > manufacture > retail failed as opposed to "fermi" was a failure? we all kind of know that it took too long anyways.

T

Taskforce

I thought he said that something like aspects of the development > manufacture > retail failed as opposed to "fermi" was a failure? we all kind of know that it took too long anyways.

I'm pretty sure he explained how the architecture failed in some respects, don't really remember but something about too many crossings cause interference of some sort, don't quote me on it though i could be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benetanegia

He was talking about GF100 afaik. GF100 != Fermi. GF100 uses Fermi architecture, just like GF104, GF106, GF110 and all the GPUs that Nvidia will release until at least 28nm chips (Kepler) come out. Even then it's not known if Kepler will be based on Fermi or not. GF100 can be labeled as a "relative failure", seeing as how it should have been what GF110 is, but Fermi architecture is not a failure by any means.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
gf100 was not a failure, huang pointed outwhat broke down in the manufacturing process and why it happened (no oversight between two arms of the company so eahc arm had it's manager but no one took responsibility to fix the issue, he stated that he'd put someone in place to bear final oversight for each new product from now on).

the product itself works. huang merely explained the reason for the delay both on the technical side and the business side.

now on the financials they have been making descent gains in this last quarter so I'd expect markets to open well, which it looks like they are, 5% rise out of the gate.

edit: actually thinking of picking up a few shares, nvidia's P/E is through the roof right now.

Last edited:
System Name His - Hers - Guest - Guest - Guest
Processor 2700X - i7 5960x - i7 990x - 930 -i7 870 - i7 870
Motherboard MSI B450 ITX - Evga X99 - X58 - x58 - P55 FTW 200's
Memory 16GB - 8G
Video Card(s) Radeon VII - GTX770 x 3
Storage SSD
Display(s) 4K
Case Antec 1200, 1200, 900, 900
Power Supply Antec 1200 watt
Software Windows 7 Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Who cares
edit: actually thinking of picking up a few shares, nvidia's P/E is through the roof right now.

i would watch it. :p Tech could be in a bubble, I have seen over 80%(ytd) return just from my tech holdings. Still slimming them down as the market hold's 11k.

lane

Processor I7 950
Motherboard Gigtabyte UD3R F7D
Cooling EK Supreme HF full Nickel
Memory Mushkin Redline 1600mhz 6-8-6-24
Video Card(s) 2x HIS 5870 1gb
Storage WD Black 1To
Display(s) Samsung P2370
Case CM HAF-X
Audio Device(s) -
Power Supply -
Fermi Architecture is not a failure, the way it have been released was ... They have face a lot of trouble, and this is a failure for the Engineering team of Nvidia... They have just not be able to release what they was supposed to do, not ever in time, but too on the original specification of the product as it was presented... ( all peoples who work in the industry know you will face problems and this things can happend, i will not bash them ).

It have take 1 years to Nvidia for release the Initial GF100 Fermi as it was presented on October 2009. (aka GF110, a optimised and tweaked /fixed version of the GF100 released in March 2010)

Ofc he will not come and say to Financial partners this, but he rather tell they have finally
launch 7 GPU's since the first GTX4xx launch, and they don't have to be worry ...
Anyway I will be really curious to have the complete numbers for the DX11 family gpu's separated of olders product and professional supply as the Quadro, Tesla...

Last edited: