• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Expands Customer Choice with First Configurable Intel Atom-based Processor

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
With the debut of six products based on the Intel Atom processor, Intel Corporation is making it easier for customers to go-to-market with differentiated, custom-made designs. The company today announced the configurable Intel Atom processor E600C series, which features an Intel Atom E600 processor (formerly codenamed "Tunnel Creek") paired with an Altera Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) in a single package.

The new Intel Atom processor provides greater flexibility and faster time-to-market for customers, who can now more readily handle design changes without complicated hardware changes - helping to lower development costs. In addition, the new processor offers board space savings and better inventory control due to the single package, as well as a simplified manufacturing flow and single vendor support through Intel.

"Our customers' needs are continually evolving and they look to Intel to provide leading-edge products and technologies that will help them differentiate and compete in the markets they serve," said Doug Davis, Intel vice president, general manager, Embedded and Communications Group, Intel Corporation. "Our new configurable Atom series helps to address these customer needs and provides greater flexibility with a simplified product choice, through one vendor."

Based on Intel architecture, the Intel Atom E600C processor series provides original equipment manufacturers with the flexibility to incorporate a wide range of standard and user-defined I/O interfaces, high-speed connectivity, memory interfaces and process acceleration to meet the evolving needs of embedded device market segments.

The Atom E600C processor series comes with Intel's extended 7-year-long life-cycle manufacturing support, and industrial and commercial temperature options, which makes it ideal for market segments such as industrial machines, portable medical equipment, communications gear, vision systems, voice over Internet protocol devices, high-performance programmable logic controllers and embedded computers.

Kontron, a leading embedded computing technology solutions manufacturer, has Atom processor E600C-based prototype boards available now, with full production beginning in the second quarter of 2011.

Formerly codenamed "Stellarton," the Intel Atom processors E665CT, E645CT, E665C, and E645C are scheduled to be available within 60 days. The E625CT and E625C are on track to be available in the first quarter of 2011. Prices range from $61 to $106 in quantities of 1,000.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

newfellow

System Name ID
Processor Q9450 ~3.74Ghz
Motherboard ASUS-P5E
Cooling Air
Memory G.Skill CL4-8GB
Video Card(s) ATI/Geforce 5850/9800
Storage A-lot
Display(s) BenQ G2400WT
Case 900
Audio Device(s) Shitty ASUS FX;P
Power Supply OCZ GXS 850W
Software -
Benchmark Scores too many machines to spec
"with full production beginning in the second quarter of 2011"

^ heh, PR crap.. Release the damn cores and get them to people like AMD does, atm.

System Name iLLz-CreaTionZ
Processor Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.5 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Z170-A
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16GB G.SKILL TridentX DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB @ 1287 MHz Core (1400 MHz Boost)
Storage Corsair Force SSD 240GB; 2 x Seagate 7200.10 320GB RAID 0; 1 x WD 1TB; External Seagate Pro 500GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Case DeepCool Tesseract
Power Supply PCP&C SilentCool 750 Quad Black
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard Razer DeathStalker
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Wait what?????? What has AMD got to the people lately? Bulldozer? Fusion? You enjoying them right now? I'm all for Intel and this custom design. Its part of these FPGA they are manufacturing for other companies and actually rolling them into and Atom chip.

Interesting. A CPU with an integrated FPGA die. I guess this means Atom is extremely popular for integrating into weird little custom devices.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Dug Davis needs to cut 50% of the repetitive self-congratulating aggrandisement PR crap, AND go out and hire a proper actor that can remember his lines without an autocue and can deliver the voice stresses and intonations properly and authentically without looking like some kind of handicapped person with headshake.

The video is awful.

It's a shame, because the product might actually be interesting. Some case study examples of how the FPGA can be used would be far more educational than just referring to "industrial and embedded". Yawn. This guy just wants his Wharhol 15 minutes. He's had it, now please leave the building.

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
Interesting. A CPU with an integrated FPGA die. I guess this means Atom is extremely popular for integrating into weird little custom devices.

These things are usually used in all kinds of automated manufacturing machines from printing presses to conveyor belt robots and I don;t think any of them are little :D
Basically the atom runs the interface and the FPGA moves the machine. FPGAs are a mixed bag. They can be very fast but only at a certain task.

Processor Core i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock Z87E-ITX
Cooling Stock
Memory 16GB Gskill 2133MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Storage 256GB Corsair M4, 240GB Samsung 840
Display(s) 27" 1440p Achevia Shimian
Case Fractal Node 304
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W
Software Windows 7 Pro x64

It's the ideal CPU at the moment for X86 work... a small footprint, high level of integration (system on a chip for the most part), and extremely low TDP, but also clocks up high enough in some configurations to have some real computing power for embedded apps. Having the FPGA just adds another level of embedding, saving PCB space, cooling solutions, and the price of additional components.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I don't get it. What's so configurable about it?

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional

An FPGA is a Field-Programmable Gate Array. By "burning" an FPGA image onto the device you can make it emulate the actual logic gate arrangements of a different chip. At work we use FPGAs to emulate future devices for which the actual silicon is not yet in production in order to test out the logic design and the firmware.

FPGAs can do two main things which make them very worthwhile:
1) Keep development costs down (We are using the same FPGA setups with different images for the emulation of several future products at work, some of them with widely different specs).
2) Allows the design of flexible hardware which can be tailored for a specific task in the field.

However, they are typically slower than actual silicon dies by around a factor of 10 (that is, they run at a clock-rate 10 times slower than the actual device they emulate), so they cannot simply replace all non-FPGA devices with more flexible systems. They are also quite expensive.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003

Think of an FPGA nothing more than a "really stupid, but very flexible computer chip". It is like a processor and a bios and a bit of ram all stuck together, but with "1980's" type of computational abilities.

What do you do if you want to design the "brains" in a microwave oven? Or a car dashboard/computer? Or a washing machine? Or an ABS braking system? You can either start with a blank piece of paper and develop silicon from scratch to do this (it will take you years and be very very expensive in R&D), or you can take a FPGA, an FPGA programmer attached to a PC, and FPGA development software, and design your piece of silicon in days if not weeks on a chip you can buy off the shelf in large quantities. R&D and time to market are very much reduced.

FPGA are also very good at handling I/O. So whereas we think of a CPU as the brains and the chipset that does the I/O, and FPGA really is a very very rudimentary "CPU" but very flexible in the I/O. (It's all relative, of course nothing is as flexible as a PC with a professional I/O card, but try sticking one a PC in your car to manage the ABS brakes for less than $10! LOL)

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
but try sticking one a PC in your car to manage the ABS brakes for less than $10!

automotive stuff like abs is all asics noadays because at some production volume getting your own silicon made (high initial cost, low volume cost) becomes cheaper than using fpgas (low initial cost, but doesnt get significantly cheaper with volume)