• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

talking about OCing a 9600 256

Processor Intel I7 2600k@ 4.5
Motherboard Gigabyte p67 ud4 b3
Cooling AC Cuplex kryos Hf
Memory 8096 Exceleram 1600@ 1333 Cl9 1.35v
Video Card(s) Palit Gtx570@950/1900@1.063v
Storage Ocz Vertex 3 120gb, 2tb Seagate 7200rpm s-ata3
Display(s) Asus 24inch Lcd
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi with Teufel Magnum Power Edition
Power Supply Coolermaster 700W Silent Pro Gold
Software Linux?^^ ;P Windows 7 64bit
for a 9600?
for best cooling the arctic cooling or the zalmman 700cu they give not much when it cmes to cooling for volume the arctic should be better

gaminfool

just a little friendly advice I had to reinstall windows yesterday because my video card when I first got it I had read how greart the 9600 pro OCed so like a dumb^$$ I went gung ho and set the clock from 400/200x2 to 500/250x2 and of course it looked like a light show from the 60's so I reclocked and thought nothing of it but ever since then I had been crashing randomly with error messages
'device driver error' vpu failure" so I thought it was the drivers and I tried at least 8 diffrent drivers and still would crash out of the blue well after the last crash it wouldnt even boot to windows after I reinstalled windows and 50 other gigs of lost stuff I learned that OCing can cause corrupt files and not just driver damage other registry files and that was my problem if I wouldnt have had to reinstall XP I would still be trying to figure out what was causing me to crash, SO I suggest dont do like I did no matter what always take your time run the max mem/core scans for a good long time and dont try to make your card do something it cant over OCing just caused me all kinds of problems and lots of time to just get a unstable 3-4 FPS more remeber unless your competing against other comptuers,your games dont give a hoot what your 3dmark/ aquamark scores are that extra 100 points dont matter if you keep crashing every 20 min. while in game. dont make the mistake I did be more concerned about preformance not numbers I learned the hard way :(

JFTR i HAVE BEEN GAMING NON STOP SINCE WITH MY SETTING ON HIGH NO LAG NO CRASHES JUST LOTS OF FUN AND iAM NOT OCED MORE THAN 5% 5% :D vs 15% :mad: YOUR CHOICE :)

Last edited:

chrispycrunch

What's a better overclock?
401.14/337.5 (core/memory) or 397.8/345 (default core and o/c memory)?
Assume neither gives artifacts after 10 minutes.

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
They are both so close it wouldn't make much difference. Usally a higher core will give more performance, but in your case your talking 4Mhz in core and 10 in mem, It wont do much. Run something like 3dmark and see how many points difference theres is. Then you'll know. ;)

-Dan

gaminfool

I agree with what he said if you look at my clock speeds they are very conservitave but thats because of the night mare I just went through you should be safe to oc about 10% IE 400/400 would be 440/440[220 w/ ddr] when you start pushing above 15 to 20 % and up you are asking for trouble even if you dont get artifacts you shorten your card life considerably or worse but the higher the clock the more preformance ,every card is diffrent even same make and model cards have thier own personality

vlado79

chrispycrunch said:
What's a better overclock?
401.14/337.5 (core/memory) or 397.8/345 (default core and o/c memory)?
Assume neither gives artifacts after 10 minutes.

Both is equaly important.To rise clock on only on one is useles.You just made bootleneck on
other.My recomendation for MEM is up to 25-30MHZ without aditional coolers (for 200-300MHz ram).
I even take off case side (just to be shure).As fot the core it depends on chip quality.
My Sapphire 9000 could be clocked to 310/238 (250/200 stock).It had even passive cooler,so I just
mounted 120mm fan bellow it.
My present GeCube 9600pro can be clocked up to 430/228.
So my opinion is that OC depends on owerall quality,and there are strict no rules.

vlado79

chrispycrunch said:
Hi y'all - I luckily found out the 256mb cards sometimes come with slower memory, and that because the card isn't very fast, you'll never use memory/resolutions that high.
Anyway, my max o/c is 429.55 (core) and 345.6 (memory). However, I can only use 401.14/337.5 for a stable (no artifact) overclock.

Having read the thread I'll have to run an artifact scan for at least 15 min to check the clock is okay.

Also, I have a Sapphire card - they come with cheap cooling fans and now after 2 mths it makes lots of noise. I tried to oil it but it's not working. Please recommend a solution (preferably if i can get it in Toronto/Canada). Arctic VGA Silencer? Zalman?

Just warrning Sapphires fans are real shit I now for 2 cases when they just died without any warning.
One was OK but other destroyed motherboard on wich she was.Becouse heat she made power wariations strong enough to destroy it.