• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Ships Industry's Easiest To Deploy 3TB Desktop Drive To Overcome 2TB Barrier

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Seagate today began shipments of the industry's most elegant, easy-to-install 3TB desktop drive - the Barracuda XT hard drive - a product that eliminates the need to purchase extra hardware or software to overcome the 2TB barrier. The Barracuda XT hard drive delivers the highest available capacity for home servers and workstations, high-definition video editing and production systems, high-performance PC gaming systems and desktop PCs.

Legacy PC BIOS designs and device drivers and older operating systems such as Windows XP are incapable of using hard drive capacities beyond 2.1TB. The upshot is that existing desktop drives with more than 2.1TB of storage capacity must be deployed with additional software or hardware and may also require extra device drivers to overcome this limitation.

The Barracuda XT hard drive with free Seagate DiscWizard software is a complete, easy-to-deploy solution. DiscWizard software makes it simple to configure the computer operating system and device drivers to access the full 3TB of capacity on legacy systems using Windows XP and PC BIOS and on personal computers equipped with newer versions of Windows or the new UEFI BIOS. The new DiscWizard software is available for free download here.

"Seagate is squarely focused on delivering the storage performance, capacity and innovation to ensure that technology transitions remain seamless for our customers," said Dave Mosley, Seagate executive vice president of sales, marketing and customer service. "The Barracuda XT hard drive epitomizes our commitment to providing end-user customers and PC manufacturers with the world's most advanced storage solutions."

The Barracuda XT hard drive combines a 64MB cache that optimizes burst performance in cache-intensive applications such as PC gaming and nonlinear video editing with Serial ATA 6Gb/s - an interface that delivers the highest system throughput - to enable the highest performance available in a desktop hard drive. The 3.5-inch, 7200RPM drive's 3TB of storage capacity gives desktop PC users the most space ever available for videos, games, photos and files.

The Barracuda XT 3TB hard drive launch comes only months after Seagate introduced the Barracuda Green hard drive, another Seagate desktop drive that streamlines technology transitions to simplify drive installations for PC makers and consumers. The eco-friendly Barracuda Green hard drive features Seagate's SmartAlign technology to enable all the benefits of the new 4K sector standard while simplifying drive installation. SmartAlign technology works by eliminating the need for utilities often required to ensure optimum drive performance.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit

The Barracuda XT hard drive with free Seagate DiscWizard software is a complete, easy-to-deploy solution. DiscWizard software makes it simple to configure the computer operating system and device drivers to access the full 3TB of capacity on legacy systems using Windows XP and PC BIOS and on personal computers equipped with newer versions of Windows or the new UEFI BIOS. The new DiscWizard software is available for free download here.

It says Discwizard

System Name Frankenstein v7
Processor Intel i7 2600K (@ stock)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 7870 WindForce 2GB
Storage Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S24C750
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
It says Discwizard

Which is correct.
"Disk" is the common misspelling for HDD, whereas 'disk' was originally a reference to 'diskette', which this of course is not.

Which is correct.
"Disk" is the common misspelling for HDD, whereas 'disk' was originally a reference to 'diskette', which this of course is not.

Wrong. "Disk" devices was in use long before the invention of floppy disk. They've been called "disk" form the very beginning. "disc" is an alternative spelling of the same word, but in the tech world it is used to differentiate optical media from magnetic media.

Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Case Antec P280
Wrong. "Disk" devices was in use long before the invention of floppy disk. They've been called "disk" form the very beginning. "disc" is an alternative spelling of the same word, but in the tech world it is used to differentiate optical media from magnetic media.

It's really quite academic, as both are acceptable.
The reason disc was used is a reference to the Latin discus - the shape of the item in question.
However, in this instance, DiscWizard is still the right spelling.
Why get hung-up about it?

It's really quite academic, as both are acceptable.
The reason disc was used is a reference to the Latin discus - the shape of the item in question.
However, in this instance, DiscWizard is still the right spelling.
Why get hung-up about it?

1. It's a tool for hard disk drives, not CDs or DVDs or Blu-Ray. (What does "hard drive" even means?)
2. Seagate is American.
3. I can be very anal.

Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Case Antec P280
1. It's a tool for hard disk drives, not CDs or DVDs or Blu-Ray. (What does "hard drive" even means?)
2. Seagate is American.
3. I can be very anal.

LOL!
OK, point taken xD
:toast:

EDIT: I should have written lmao. Cos I ended up in a coughing fit of laughter (in the good sense) xD

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
I don't want a 3TB drive... this is going to cause all kind of setup and driver headaches on my "legacy" systems. Nope, I don't want to have to install disckwizzard to get my drive to work. However, I'm really happy they have been launched... it should help the price of 2TB drives come down! :) And running in "2.1GB mode", ie without the drivers, it might even be faster due to the higher areal density. I would rather Seagate (who are well behind on SSD tech) started developing HYBRID drives, with a SSD partition and a HDD partition in the same device. GREAT for laptops. A 32GB SSD partition would be good for the OS, and a 250GB HDD for the D: drive for data and games, etc.

System Name POWERHOUSE
Processor Core i5 760 @ 4013 Mhz
Motherboard ASUS P7P55D-E LX
Cooling Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer 120mm
Memory Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
Video Card(s) ASUS HD6950 w/ASUS 6970 BIOS
Storage 128GB Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5-inch SATA 6GB/s
Display(s) ASUS VW246D
Case ULTRA Aluminous ATX
Power Supply Corsair tx750w
Software Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

This was always my understanding of it too. I was actually going to comment on it till I saw your post, lol

I dont think this will bring down prices of smaller drives. Seems HDDs have just hit a point where it costs the same to buy a 700GB or 2TB drive.

Considering WDs 3TB drive is $300+ and their other drives prices have not changed I dont expect a price drop from Seagate either.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3 1200 @ 3.7 GHz
Motherboard MSI B350M Gaming PRO
Cooling 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12
Memory 2x4GB GeIL EVO POTENZA AMD PC4-17000
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Radeon RX 560 2GB
Storage Samsung SSD 840 Series (250GB)
Display(s) Asus VP239H-P (23")
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C TG
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar U3
Power Supply CORSAIR CX450
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K65
Software Windows 10 Pro (x64)
I believe the correct usage is "hard disk" versus "optical disc," but when considering the way language is developed, I'm not going to fret about it. If enough people say it, it becomes true.

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
2. Seagate is American.
3. I can be very anal.

lol if you looked at the drive it is a disc inside it not a disk as you claim ......silly dude with pot .....

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
DISC

A disc refers to optical media, such as an audio CD, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, or DVD-Video disc. Some discs are read-only (ROM), others allow you to burn content (write files) to the disc once (such as a CD-R or DVD-R, unless you do a multisession burn), and some can be erased and rewritten over many times (such as CD-RW, DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM discs).

All discs are removable, meaning when you unmount or eject the disc from your desktop or Finder, it physically comes out of your computer.
Disks

DISK

A disk refers to magnetic media, such as a floppy disk, the disk in your computer's hard drive, an external hard drive. Disks are always rewritable unless intentionally locked or write-protected. You can easily partition a disk into several smaller volumes, too.

Disks are usually sealed inside a metal or plastic casing (often, a disk and its enclosing mechanism are collectively known as a "hard drive").

System Name POWERHOUSE
Display(s) ASUS VW246D
Case ULTRA Aluminous ATX
DISC

A disc refers to optical media, such as an audio CD, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM, or DVD-Video disc. Some discs are read-only (ROM), others allow you to burn content (write files) to the disc once (such as a CD-R or DVD-R, unless you do a multisession burn), and some can be erased and rewritten over many times (such as CD-RW, DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM discs).

All discs are removable, meaning when you unmount or eject the disc from your desktop or Finder, it physically comes out of your computer.
Disks

DISK

A disk refers to magnetic media, such as a floppy disk, the disk in your computer's hard drive, an external hard drive. Disks are always rewritable unless intentionally locked or write-protected. You can easily partition a disk into several smaller volumes, too.

Disks are usually sealed inside a metal or plastic casing (often, a disk and its enclosing mechanism are collectively known as a "hard drive").

Word.

T

TAViX

I don't know, but any drive over 1TB should come with something better than S.M.A.R.T. for data integrity monitoring. Personally I find a little stressful to have 3TB of important data, and suddenly loose all when HDD is failing...
An advertise system included in HDD's hardware should be installed just to worn the user that something is not right. Supposedly SMART should be able to do that, but so far I haven't seen at one disk to do that...

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
You don't need monitoring software to know that a seagate is going to fail. Just wait a few weeks.

System Name Loose nuts & bolts
Processor FX-8350 - EK Supreme HF full nickel
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Water EK goodness all around 2xBlack Ice X-280
Memory 2 x8G HyperX Fury 1600 @ 9-9-9-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX RX 480 w/EK-FC RX 480 nickel+Acetal
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + 2xWD Black 500GB in RAID0
Display(s) Crossover 27" 2560x1440 110Hz OC
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) on board
Software Win 10 Enterprise x64
System Name POWERHOUSE
Display(s) ASUS VW246D
Case ULTRA Aluminous ATX
You don't need monitoring software to know that a seagate is going to fail. Just wait a few weeks.

lol... I have only bought one Seagate drive and it was because a had a WD that just totally died with out warning after about a year and a half. I almost cried losing all that data. To be fair tho, I also have 2 other WD drives that are still running fine and they are 10 and 6 years old, but rarely used.

I must say, the Seagate has lasted as a primary drive with heavy daily use for ~8 years, and I still have it installed for low priority storage and its still kickin' after a total of 10+ years. :rockout:

I was just in the market for a new backup/storage drive in the 2TB flavor and ALMOST bought a WD until I remembered back to that dreadful day. I decided to give Samsung a try this time.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
Now im not to up to date on this stuff... but wouldn't it be easier for the company to do a 2Tb partition and then the rest on another partition?:confused:

System Name POWERHOUSE
Display(s) ASUS VW246D
Case ULTRA Aluminous ATX
Now im not to up to date on this stuff... but wouldn't it be easier for the company to do a 2Tb partition and then the rest on another partition?:confused:

Yes, but anyone can buy a 3TB drive and make a 1TB partition on it, that's not the point here. I don't know of any drive maker that makes drives with partitions on them from the factory either, at least not for the general public.

The point of this is to have legacy hardware/software be able to utilize the full 3TB of drive space with out having separate volumes.

You may be wondering "Who cares about older software/hardware and who uses them?", but the fact is that many (I forget the percentage) businesses and home users still use Windows XP and would love to have the extra TB of space on a single volume.

Seems Seagate has provided them with this ability.