• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5850 Cooling questions

grassy

System Name Grassy
Processor Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 4GHz
Motherboard P5Q PRO Turbo
Cooling Water
Memory 4GB G.Skill Black Ed PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 5850 (OC with ASUS 5870 Bios)
Case CM Storm Scout
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster x-fi xtremegamer
Software Win 7 64Bit
Hey guys,

First time I’ve posted here but not the first time I’ve ever use the site for info find these forums quite helpful!

I’ve been playing around with OC for a while now but first time I’ve tried with my GFX card first of all i wanted to get the most out of my stock cooler (ovisuly i won’t be OC it very much on this cooler) but for now i want to try and remap the fan speed graph on the bios I’ve been using RBE and Win flash to do so.

I made up my own map in RBE and then re-flashed it worked fine asked me to restart i did so, After i got back into windows i tried it loaded up a game (BFBC2) load on the GFX card went up to 99~100% temps started to rise... The fan speed did not... fan speed was at 29% ~ 75ºc in the fan map i made i set it to 65% @ 75ºc.

I tried to re-flash it a few more times with no luck...

My system OS is quite fresh, i have installed ATI Afterburner but i did not like how every time i restated my system i had to push yes on the WAC warning box, I uninstalled that.

The 5850 is a Sapphire.

Thanks much
Grassy

streetfighter 2

Firstly, insure that you didn't inadvertently set manual control of the fan to 29% in CCC Overdrive panel. Also check that you don't have any other utilities running that might be overriding the fan's firmware control (such as Afterburner, TriXX, RivaTuner, ATI Tray Tools, etc.).

If it's still not working then it might be that you have a non-reference HD5850 and therefore the fan profile is useless in the card's BIOS. If this is the case you'll have to use something like MSI Afterburner or Sapphire TriXX to do software fan speed regulation.

i have installed ATI Afterburner but i did not like how every time i restated my system i had to push yes on the WAC warning box
WAC? I guess you mean UAC? Is it really that bad? ;)
Also, ATI Afterburner == MSI Afterburner?

grassy

System Name Grassy
Cooling Water
Case CM Storm Scout
Software Win 7 64Bit
Hey thanks for the reply yes I did mean uac and msi sorry for the confusion how do I find out if my card is a non-reference card?

grassy

System Name Grassy
Cooling Water
Case CM Storm Scout
Software Win 7 64Bit
Is there anyway to make uac like MSI Afterburner with out disabling uac?

streetfighter 2

grassy

System Name Grassy
Cooling Water
Case CM Storm Scout
Software Win 7 64Bit
Thanks for ya help mate :) I'm over it now and im just going to get a cooler for it using that msi afterburner I loose like 5~ fps because of the fan update I'm guessing it is non-ref because of that fps loss... Cheers man! :)

grassy

System Name Grassy
Cooling Water
Case CM Storm Scout
Software Win 7 64Bit
i fitted a Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo Pro onto the card with the lil heat syncs that came with it for the VDDC phases etc.

Did some tests GPU down to 33ºc on idle but the vddc's where very high like hitting over 80ºc was not happy...

I didn’t want to buy any other coolers... So what i did after a lot of mucking around i put the original metal plate from the bottom of the standard cooler back on the card and then fitted the Twin turbo works like a charm! gpu temp low and vddc phases all low!