• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choosing a Brand

Bigpapa42

System Name Burning Hammer of the Gaming Gods
Processor Intel i5-2500K Sandy Bridge
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
Video Card(s) HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Case Cooler Master HAF X
After doing a fair bit of research, I've settled on a Radeon HD 6950 2GB video card for my new build. I just have not yet decided which brand to go with. Looking at user reviews, they all seem to be around the same (occassional bad experience, mostly posititve) and I realize there is no difference in technology. Right now, I'm looking at price and warranty as the deciding factor but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking more important factors.

For example, having an ASUS motherboard and ASUS GPU wouldn't hold any advantage over an ASUS mobo and XFX card, would it?

I'm trying to decide between XFX and HIS right now, with Gigabyte being another possibility. The XFX has a "double lifetime warranty", which sounds nice but I can't find much info on it...

Thanks for any assistance.

streetfighter 2

For example, having an ASUS motherboard and ASUS GPU wouldn't hold any advantage over an ASUS mobo and XFX card, would it?
Nope. Not unless Asus intentionally sabotaged their motherboard (which is highly unlikely).

I'm trying to decide between XFX and HIS right now, with Gigabyte being another possibility. The XFX has a "double lifetime warranty", which sounds nice but I can't find much info on it...
I seem to recall reading that it can be quite a hassle to get XFX to honor their warranty, but I have absolutely no personal experience with them. XFX does appear to allow you to change the heatsink though. Like all warranties the XFX one is going to vary from region to region.

I usually don't worry too much about warranties myself. Any defect is usually going to become apparent within the first 6 months. The fans can (and will) break so it's nice if the company sells OEM replacements, but none ever do :eek:. Just remember to register it when you buy it.

Last edited:
System Name Something Esoteric 2
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS Prime B650-Plus
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360MM AIO
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000Mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus RTX 3090 OC 24GB
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB NVMe
Display(s) 2 x Dell S2721DGF IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Samsung Buds2 Pro, SteelSeries Siberia 800
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P3 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X6
Software Windows 11 Pro

First of all, take this with a grain of salt but I'm aware of at least one member of these forums who swears against XFX as having "the cheapest videocards humanly possible", and yes that's a quote. Again, this is just what I've heard so apply it to your policy regarding hearsay.

Second of all, I personally had an HIS video card (It was a x1950 Pro IceQ 3 Turbo) and the fan failed on me within a year. To be fair, it didn't "fail" in so much as "make horrible screeching noises as it spun that couldn't be solved with carefully targeted WD-40". However the x1950 was a while ago so MAYBE they've improved their build quality, who knows.

Third, your choice of a 6950 begs the question if you intend to flash the BIOS and unlock it to a 6970. If you are, and even if you aren't but you'd like it as a possible future-proofing option down the road, I would recommend looking for threads/posts that mention the brands of 6950s that are successfully unlocking to 6970s, and even better, the company behind the memory modules (Samsung, Hynix, etc.). The brand/module information will tell you which 6950 to throw down the $$$ for, as all engines are indeed the same until you floor it, then suddenly you see the same 2~3 brands snatching the checkered flag consistently.

And finally, reference cards > non-reference cards when it comes to overclocking/unlocking due to their "standard issue, work from this copy" nature and inclusion of chips and other hardware that can be removed or modified on a non-reference custom PCB.

Cheers.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Second of all, I personally had an HIS video card (It was a x1950 Pro IceQ 3 Turbo) and the fan failed on me within a year. To be fair, it didn't "fail" in so much as "make horrible screeching noises as it spun that couldn't be solved with carefully targeted WD-40". However the x1950 was a while ago so MAYBE they've improved their build quality, who knows.
Using WD-40 on a fan bearing is one of the worst thing you can do. :shadedshu

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just some FYI... You do have to register the XFX card to get the (Double) lifetime extended warranty.

Quote from their site:

" The limited hardware warranty lasts for a period of two years. However, to be covered by the XFX Double Lifetime Limited Warranty, you must register your card within 30 days of purchase."

And, it varies by region. See here > Warranty Information

:)

Bigpapa42

Case Cooler Master HAF X
Thanks guys. I've been looking at Newegg user reviews for these and some other cards to try to get a feel for what people's experiences have been like. I feel like I'm "overthinking" this to an extent... but I'd rather do some legwork now than spend the $300 and end up with a paperweight.

I haven't decided for sure if I will try to flash the card to a 6970. Very likely at some point as it just seems like a bonus. I've been using the success chart on the how-to page here and all the brands I've looked at seem to unlock, though some have experienced rendering errors afterward.

I'm now feeling a little leery of XFX. I did like that XFX responded to a couple of hte reviewers who were having problems... but they were minor issues. HIS did it on one review where there was a driver issue.

It seems like the Sapphire cards are very popular, but I've reviews where people have had issues with their customer service and with getting rebates back... yet they end up being rated very well overall.

System Name Something Esoteric 2
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS Prime B650-Plus
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360MM AIO
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000Mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus RTX 3090 OC 24GB
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB NVMe
Display(s) 2 x Dell S2721DGF IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Samsung Buds2 Pro, SteelSeries Siberia 800
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P3 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X6
Software Windows 11 Pro
Using WD-40 on a fan bearing is one of the worst thing you can do. :shadedshu

I didn't know any better in those days. It didn't make it any worse though. :)

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
I find Sapphire makes very reliable products. I own 2 4850s and have personally recommended a 5830 and 5850 to personal friends w/o any problems in over the year they have owned them. XFX is another good choice for reference model cards, the 2x lifetime warranty is sweet and since all reference cards are pretty much the same I would take the XFX.

Edit: I have never used a rebate on anything I have bought computer related. im always prepared to pay the asking price @ the store or on the website. Just a personal choice and also I usually hit my local comp store up for parts when limited instant rebates are available.

Undead46

Processor i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz - 1.335VCore
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution (B3)
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 2133MHz 7-11-8-27-1N (F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH)
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6950 (Unlocked)
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD (OS & Games), 500GB WD Caviar Blue, 250GB WD Caviar Blue
Display(s) Dell 23" U2311H IPS Monitor
Case Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Professional - 64bit
My personal favorites are XFX and Sapphire.
Of course, all 6950 2GB's are the exact same reference card, there shouldn't be any difference between any of the cards physically.

So whichever one is cheaper or has better warranty if that's what you're interested in.

I personally have the Sapphire 6950 2GB and unlocked, so warranty wasn't a big factor for me. Works great.

Bigpapa42

Case Cooler Master HAF X
I ended up going with the HIS card. I wasn't intending to order today but the motherboard I was waiting on finally came available, so I purchased everything. Does not take long to go through $1k...

System Name Frankenstein v7
Processor Intel i7 2600K (@ stock)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 7870 WindForce 2GB
Storage Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S24C750
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
I ended up going with the HIS card. I wasn't intending to order today but the motherboard I was waiting on finally came available, so I purchased everything. Does not take long to go through $1k...

Spending is always faster than receiving :p

As for XFX: I've owned a few of their GFX cards over the years, and have nothing but good experiences with them - including support.
Even my current HD5850 is from XFX and has been a solid performer. Contrary to what most people seem to endure with FurMark, my card never overheats and eats that program for breakfast .. not in the fastest way, but still ;)
That said, I do tend to agree with XFX not necessarily employing the best of components (so OCing is possible, but probably won't gain you as much as other cards might), although reliability seems fine.
I even have an old 6800 Ultra (AGP 8x) from them that's still going fine since purchase in 2004 :)

Enjoy your new stuff mate!