• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ViperJohn's Mod on a X850-XT

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
I have seen 3/8 the most, but I don't look to hard cause I don't have money for a cooling system like that. :( No point in teasing myself. :p

-Dan

gerrynicol

System Name Home built
Processor Core i7-920 4.0Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6t OC
Cooling Akasa Nero
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-1348Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX GTX 285 SLi
Storage 160GB, 250GB, 320GB
Display(s) 24" dell(1920X1200)
Case Coolermaster HAF
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, logitech Z5500
Power Supply Corsair HX 1K
Software 7 ultimate 64
I think you may need al arger rad though, what case do you have?, can't really see from the pics. If you go to a larger case( I have a Tt armour, it has space for X11 drive bays, I got my rad up front filling X7 bays, X2 for optical, X 1 for temp and X1 for power/reset. by the way my cpu temps at the mo are 28-32 idle - 30-37 load.

Gerry.

System Name Onus
Processor E8500 @ 3.95ghz ~1.25v
Motherboard ASUS P5E Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Orochi cpu, 5x 120mm Zalman red LED case fans, stock GPU coolers
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G.Skill PC8000 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) 2x ASUS 3870x2s
Storage 4x160gb RAID 0 Main, 2x 500gb RAID 0 media storage.
Display(s) LG W2600H
Case Lian Li PC-A70B, painted black and other modded aspects :)
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker. Klipsch RF-3II fronts, Yamaha NS-A222 rears, Klipsch RC-3II center, Klipsch SUB12
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, lots of games, photoshop n stuff.
Morlak said:
Since my goal is to go with a R520/X850 Crossfire, even a 600 Watt supply might not do the trick then. Maybe a 800Watt? External DC supply? I have a 100Amp 12V supply. It weighs about 50lbs, but hey. whatever works. lol.

I think the 1/4" system just doesn't move the volume of water required to take massive heat away, and running a 3.4 P4 at 4.2Ghz, and a 520/540 card at 667/637 produces massive heat. No lie, It heats the room. The Power Supply does the room heating btw. A new, or additional radiator may help in the short term, but a 1/2" system would be much better. I can run the card at high clocks and run the CPU stock, or vise-versa with no problems at all. Combined though it's just too much. It slowly looses ground, and it's kinda cool to watch the temps.

Almost all products out there except the Tt Big-Water are either 3/8" or 1/2". The best pumps made are mostly 1/2". Look at Swiftech or PolarFlow. Those two companies make the best pumps, I think, period. I know that doesn't mean squat, but check em out. Just from my own limited exposure to water cooling, the pump seems to be the key, followed by the radiator. I may be wrong, but thats what I feel. It seems the cooling system's ability to pull heat is related to volume and flow rate above anything else. Many other things have an effect, but those two things are the most important. This system does a real good job, at mild overclocks up to 20% or so, keeps everything nice and cool. The Tt is a begineer's kit. It's neat, it helped me learn a great deal, and it will eventually have a good home in a server that isn't a constant experiment. I do want dual radiators, but have not decided on which ones. I may even keep this one, its not the problem :points at gimp pump:
How about 850w? I was going to link this on my last post but I didn't think one would want to spend $500 on a power supply.

Morlak

gerrynicol said:
I think you may need al arger rad though, what case do you have?, can't really see from the pics. If you go to a larger case( I have a Tt armour, it has space for X11 drive bays, I got my rad up front filling X7 bays, X2 for optical, X 1 for temp and X1 for power/reset. by the way my cpu temps at the mo are 28-32 idle - 30-37 load.

Gerry.

Wow thats an awesome cooling setup! Do you have pictures? We have a pictures thread that wtf8269 started. It breifly had a flame war in it :eek: , but its back on track now.

My case is a small Tt Soprano. I didn't think my little hobby box warranted much more lol. Actually I wanted a small case because it sits on a desktop, and eventually might have a phase-change unit as a base that will make it pretty tall. I could mount two 80mm rads inside, or one 120mm inside, or outside. This cooling system will only be used for two video cards, and the chipset "if" I eventually get the vapor chiller. Thats a fairly big if, they are not cheap.

Last edited:

Morlak

wtf8269 said:
How about 850w? I was going to link this on my last post but I didn't think one would want to spend $500 on a power supply.

Yeah thats more like it! Thats a real PSU if I ever saw one lol. I am going to wait and hear what John has to do for CrossFire first before I go beyond the water setup. I know he has a prototype cooling system for the new 520 cards using some high-wattage thermo-electric parts, in addition to 1/2" water. Im sure that must have to use an external power source if you had two of em. Maybe he will visit and clue us in on the power requirements of the new cards, and the uber cooling he has planed. I know this card sucks power down like mad when it's overclocked really high.

Oh yeah Wtf8269, you are not the only one who doesn't think anyone would spend $500 on a power supply, but people using SLI must have the power to run two high power cards, its gotta come form someplace.

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
850watt psu, what a beast. I thought having a 600watt was high, but after seeing that... :p

Nice score you got there Morlak. ;)

-Dan

gerrynicol

System Name Home built
Motherboard Asus P6t OC
Cooling Akasa Nero
Case Coolermaster HAF
Software 7 ultimate 64
I will try and get some pics and get them posted on a site,

EDIT - I found a host, hope this link works ok, pics are a bit fuzzy, I don't have a proper camera, they are taken with my P900

http://photobucket.com/albums/y281/Gerrynicol/

Gerry.

Last edited:

Morlak

gerrynicol said:
I will try and get some pics and get them posted on a site,

EDIT - I found a host, hope this link works ok, pics are a bit fuzzy, I don't have a proper camera, they are taken with my P900

http://photobucket.com/albums/y281/Gerrynicol/

Gerry.

Nice radiator Gerry but I had trouble seeing detail on it. With a 4 drive raid, I would not have room for that even with a bigger case. One or two of SwifTech's 120mm, 80mm, or a combo of both radiators might do the trick for me.

Here is a belated pic of John's Temp Readout option. Nice to be able to watch temps realtime when in full-screen 3d.

Attachments

• GPU-Temp-Readout.JPG
    GPU-Temp-Readout.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 446

gerrynicol

System Name Home built
Motherboard Asus P6t OC
Cooling Akasa Nero
Case Coolermaster HAF
Software 7 ultimate 64
Yeah the pics are BAD! sorry bout them. Thats a nice option john done. The Tt armour and kandalf both have rear HDD cages, I got two sata drives at the back and one ide in the front where the power switch is. The cage at the rear can hold X3 drives though, you might want to look into one of these cases, they are huge though.

Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
Thats a cool read out. Even has john's signature on it.

-Dan

Morlak

Oh thats just the L.I.S. 2 Information Center. It can report on variables or you can program it (CG Builder) with anything you want it to say, and it also does fans, plus a ton of other useless but cool stuff. I caught it when it said ViperJohn (I built it with cgbuilder, see below), most of the time I have it set on reporting CPU realtime clock, and or memory usage, or scrolling through various screens of info.

Their site is http://www.vlsys.co.kr and you can pick up one at any number of online shops.

Attachments

• LIS2-Control-App.JPG
    LIS2-Control-App.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 426
Processor AMD 5800x
Software Windows 10
Thats a cool little device. :D

-Dan

Morlak

gerrynicol said:
Yeah the pics are BAD! sorry bout them. Thats a nice option john done. The Tt armour and kandalf both have rear HDD cages, I got two sata drives at the back and one ide in the front where the power switch is. The cage at the rear can hold X3 drives though, you might want to look into one of these cases, they are huge though.

Yeah I looked at all of them when I picked this one. I picked this mid-tower mainly because I wanted to spend more on other parts, and knew it would be a few Grover Clevelands, plus I didn't want a five foot tall computer on top of my desk after the chiller is added lol. A SwifTech 120 rad will cool two video cards im pretty sure.

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
You could always try something like this:

Fix a dual 12mm or 8mm radiator upside-down on the bottom of your case and construct a stand for it to stand on. So you have a system that looks like vapochill etc. but it's just a long radiator. That way you'll also be able to upgrade to a vapochill without radically changing your system. Although you'll have to cut a hole in the bottom for the water pipes though. And you'll have more than enough room left for other components and the much stiffer 1/2" pipes.

Just a thought though...
Nice job with the X850 too! John sure knows what he's doing :D

System Name Onus
Processor E8500 @ 3.95ghz ~1.25v
Motherboard ASUS P5E Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Orochi cpu, 5x 120mm Zalman red LED case fans, stock GPU coolers
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G.Skill PC8000 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) 2x ASUS 3870x2s
Storage 4x160gb RAID 0 Main, 2x 500gb RAID 0 media storage.
Display(s) LG W2600H
Case Lian Li PC-A70B, painted black and other modded aspects :)
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker. Klipsch RF-3II fronts, Yamaha NS-A222 rears, Klipsch RC-3II center, Klipsch SUB12
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, lots of games, photoshop n stuff.
It's a little late to be asking this, but I just thought of the question: are those RAM fans loud?

ViperJohn

Radeon Mod God
Morlak said:
Since my goal is to go with a R520/X850 Crossfire, even a 600 Watt supply might not do the trick then.

You can not mix an R520 and an R480 in a CrossFire. The card have to be from the same family as is in
two R420 and/or R430 , two R480's, two R520's, etc.

John

Morlak

ViperJohn said:
You can not mix an R520 and an R480 in a CrossFire. The card have to be from the same family as is in
two R420 and/or R430 , two R480's, two R520's, etc.

John

Thanks John, Since that original post, I have figured that one out as well. It's too bad though lol. I wonder if they will introduce the R520 and a CrossFire version together at launch. It will be interesting.

ViperJohn

Radeon Mod God
Morlak said:
Thanks John, Since that original post, I have figured that one out as well. It's too bad though lol. I wonder if they will introduce the R520 and a CrossFire version together at launch. It will be interesting.

I would say it is a very good bet they will produce master cards at or very close to
launch. It is also safe to say that vendors will drive extra nails into the 4x4's they use
to shove up your backside when it comes to the price on them too!!!

Viper