• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Announces Fast and Stylish CX640 and CR640 Multimedia Laptops

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Who says laptop computers are all the same? MSI has unveiled the CX640 and CR640, two epoch-making notebooks in terms of both appearance and functions. Details, like the F1 racecar push start power button, the slender, layered, forward-tapering profile, the touchpad with crystal diamond finish, the concealed hotkey design, the flat black case with metallic brush finish, and the streamlined DVD drawer button, combine to give you the feeling that you are at the controls of a sophisticated high-end racecar.

Eric Kuo, associate vice president for global sales, MSI Notebook, points out that the new generation CX640 and CR640 sport Intel's powerful 2nd generation Core i5/i7 CPU and MSI's fast boot technology which gets these impressive laptops up and running in half the time that it takes most other notebooks. They also feature other MSI innovations, such as enhanced data protection which employs MSI's own software and hardware technologies to bolster structural design to safeguard the hard drive against sudden shocks. Another example is Time Stamp backup and restoration which backs up data in just seconds. Two layers of protection technology to double your peace of mind.

Urbane, chic, streamlined
Flat black case with metallic brush finish: The stylish look inspired by high-end racecars, MSI's design team incorporated a flat black finish revealing a metallic luster used in luxury automobiles into the exterior of the CX640 and CR640. In addition, the touchpad's crystal diamond finish and the layered texture of the recessed speakers set off the overall look, giving a randomness to the gradation of lights and shadows, producing a urbane look evocative of high-end racecars.

Push start "ignition switch": Situated on the left side of the CX640 and CR640 is an AC-in power jack designed to resemble a racecar fuel intake and on the right side is a round push start ignition switch. The two details set each other off and are evocative of an F1 racer. Press the button and feel the performance.

eTapered profile and hidden hotkey design: The forward-tapering silhouette of the CX640 and CR640 notebook computers is also evocative of F1 racers and the layering of materials that compose the sides cause the bright layers to blend into the delicate etching of the flat black strata, exuding an artsy yet unpretentious feel. In addition, the hotkeys on the CX640 and CR640 are ingenisously integrated into the metal mesh strip above the keyboard, so while the hotkeys are still easily accessible, these chic machines maintain their overall design integrity.

Performance is the name of the game
2nd generation Intel Core i5/i7 Processor: The CX640 and CR640 feature Intel's powerful 2nd generation Core i5/i7 processor and new generation Turbo Boost 2.0 technology to accelerate all cores. Quick Sync Video technology enhances multimedia file computing performance during conversion, synchronization, and compilation. In addition, MSI's fast boot technology gets the CX640 and CR640 up and running in half the time that it takes other laptop computers.
*Boot-up time will vary with different hardware specs and environments.

GPU Boost: The CX640 is a discrete-graphics model that features nVidia GeForce GT520M discrete graphics card with 1GBDDR3 and supports DirectX 11 for enhanced performance. The automatic graphics switching in MSI's GPU Boost technology kicks over to discrete graphics card mode to enhance graphics processing and when performing general word processing tasks or surfing the Internet, it automatically cuts to the power-sipping integrated graphics chip mode, striking the ideal balance between performance and battery life.

Maximize your multimedia enjoyment
SRS PC Sound: The CX640 and CR640 come with new generation SRS PC Sound for natural wrap around high fidelity sound whether you use the built-in speakers, external ones, or headsets. These laptops are designed to satisfy your craving for crisp, clear sound.

USB3.0 and Bluetooth 3.0: MSI's CX640 and CR640 come with new USB3.0 ports which boast transfer speeds of 4.8Gbps-10 times faster than USB2.0, and 80% faster power transmission, providing vastly higher data transfer rates and charging speeds for external hard drives, flash drives, and other handheld electronic devices. The new generation Bluetooth 3.0, which boasts data transfer speeds of 24Mbps, is three times faster than Bluetooth 2.1, is also optional.

Data protection you can trust
Time Stamp backup and restoration: Data back up and restoration are no longer a hassle with MSI's Time Stamp software. With one touch of a finger this new application backs up or restores data on the CX640 and CR640 in just a few short seconds. You can set Time Stamp to back up automatically and it only takes ten seconds to finish data back up. You don't even have to turn your computer on to execute systems restoration and get your computer back into tiptop health.

"Air tight" protection: Traditionally, hard drives are located in one corner of laptops, so if a laptop is dropped accidently, there's a good chance the hard drive is going to be seriously damaged. With this in mind, when designing the CX640 and CR640 notebook computers, MSI made a point of placing the hard drive to further safeguard it. MSI also packed the hard drive in reinforced protection to form a sort of "air bag," providing protection against shock.

Every detail designed with you in mind
8 hours of battery time, fast battery recharge: CX640 and CR640 NBs feature the ALS system which adjusts screen brightness in accordance with ambient lighting, so your eyes don't feel fatigued even when you use the screen for long periods. It also extends battery time when the computer is in standby mode. In addition, the CX640 and CR640 come with MSI's own ECO engine power saving technology, so with one touch; you can initiate the Turbo Battery to significantly extend battery time. Tests have shown that these laptops can operate for as long as eight hours on battery. MSI's exclusive technology recharges them 1.5 times faster than traditional laptops. About 80 minutes is all you recharge to 80%. *Actual time required to recharge the CX640 and CR640 will vary with different environments. Intuitive smart function and instant scenario change keys: Simply depress the "Fn" key and the frequently used function key menu pops up, so you can open/close or make adjustments to screen brightness, volume, the webcam, the wireless network, the mute function, or standby. What's more, you can set the CX640 and CR640 to display wallpaper for various scenarios. Press the function key twice to quickly change default wallpaper to match the task at hand.

Clutter-free design and all new heat dissipation design: The new generation CX640 and CR640 laptops' all-new heat dissipation design which places heat generating parts and components, like the processor, chipset, and graphics card, in the upper left part of the computer body. The thermal block structural design then concentrates heat in that same area, so that the palm rest areas maintain a temperature on par with that of the human body to ensure comfort of use. Furthermore, traditional computer cable connector designs do not take user convenience into consideration, so cables tend to get in the way of the user. MSI made it a point to put frequently used slots, like the USB 3.0 and HDMI, on the left side of the computer, while the DVD player is on the right. This provides an obstruction-free area for the mouse. The CX640 and CR640 also have frequently used I/O ports, like the card reader and audio jack, placed along the front side, so you can quickly and easily access them. HiFre Antenna enhances wireless transfer: The CX640 and CR640 feature HiFre Antenna technology provides wireless that is 1.3X better and more stable than that of traditional laptops, allowing them to find signals where other NBs can't.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD R5 3600
Motherboard ASUS X370 Prime Pro
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000Mhz C15 @ 3600Mhz C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 FE
Storage 4x 1TB SSD
Display(s) Benq XL2411Z 144Hz + Asus VS24H
Case Corsair 270R
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AG03 + Rode Procaster
Power Supply Corsair AX 650W 90+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight
Keyboard KBD67 Lite R3 (Gazzew Boba U4 + AKKO Midnight)
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w

STCNE

System Name Lycanthropy
Processor i5 2500K
Motherboard ECS p67-h2a2
Memory 8GB Muskin Radioactive Series
Video Card(s) MSI R7770
Case Lancool K62
Audio Device(s) Ultra-Fi Dac41, Vintage Sherwood amp, STAX SR-5 Headphones
Power Supply XFX 850W
Software Win 7 64-Bit(Tried Win8 and never going back)
Benchmark Scores Reboots in 35 seconds flat, with a standard HDD. I'm a bit of an OCD tweaker. Using less than 100GB
Stupid question, but would this be able to play Minecraft maxed out? I'm in the market for a laptop, and that is really the only game I play right now.

Processor AMD R5 3600
Motherboard ASUS X370 Prime Pro
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000Mhz C15 @ 3600Mhz C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 FE
Storage 4x 1TB SSD
Display(s) Benq XL2411Z 144Hz + Asus VS24H
Case Corsair 270R
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AG03 + Rode Procaster
Power Supply Corsair AX 650W 90+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight
Keyboard KBD67 Lite R3 (Gazzew Boba U4 + AKKO Midnight)
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Stupid question, but would this be able to play Minecraft maxed out? I'm in the market for a laptop, and that is really the only game I play right now.

Probably not. I'm having trouble running minecraft at 1600x900 on a six core with a gtx260 (and that's on normal distance, on far I can't run it).

rick22

System Name bubba
Processor e something
Motherboard old but good mobo
Cooling my farts
Memory can't find it
Video Card(s) EVGA 250 took a shit..back to my 4850..fk off ati fanboys
Storage i think i have one
Display(s) not sure but it sucks
Case lol my mouth
Audio Device(s) me
Power Supply ass farts
Software that sucks to
Benchmark Scores i'm so fat i sat on the bench and smashed assssit
MSI sucks..every laptop they make has a bad rating

STCNE

System Name Lycanthropy
Processor i5 2500K
Motherboard ECS p67-h2a2
Memory 8GB Muskin Radioactive Series
Video Card(s) MSI R7770
Case Lancool K62
Audio Device(s) Ultra-Fi Dac41, Vintage Sherwood amp, STAX SR-5 Headphones
Power Supply XFX 850W
Software Win 7 64-Bit(Tried Win8 and never going back)
Benchmark Scores Reboots in 35 seconds flat, with a standard HDD. I'm a bit of an OCD tweaker. Using less than 100GB
Probably not. I'm having trouble running minecraft at 1600x900 on a six core with a gtx260 (and that's on normal distance, on far I can't run it).

Are you serious? My dads computer has a core 2 quad at 2.5GHZ and a Radeon 4650 and I can max it on 1680x1050. No problems on my computer either i5 750 3.6GHZ, Radeon 5770. It lags a bit on multiplayer but my internet runs under 1 mb/sec.