• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATIFlash and 64-bit Windows?

I've tried the last 4 versions of AtiFlash (starting with 386 and working back), and none of them will work on the two different Windows 7 64-bit systems I tried. In all cases I'm told that it's "not the correct version" for the Windows I'm running. The Command window's title changes to "Unsupported 16-bit application." to drive home the point.

I'm pretty sure that (a) it's not actually a 16-bit application and (b) it will run fine under 64-bit Windows...which is what we're all using, right?

I've searched the forums here but can't find anything about this problem. Is there something simple and obvious I'm overlooking?

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I've tried the last 4 versions of AtiFlash (starting with 386 and working back), and none of them will work on the two different Windows 7 64-bit systems I tried. In all cases I'm told that it's "not the correct version" for the Windows I'm running. The Command window's title changes to "Unsupported 16-bit application." to drive home the point.

I'm pretty sure that (a) it's not actually a 16-bit application and (b) it will run fine under 64-bit Windows...which is what we're all using, right?

I've searched the forums here but can't find anything about this problem. Is there something simple and obvious I'm overlooking?
I used version 3.86 on W7 64 bit with no problems.

Do you have your boot files to flash in dos? If so how are you typing the flash command?

I'm using the standard Windows command prompt (Accessories->Command Prompt) to invoke AtiFlash...

I used version 3.86 on W7 64 bit with no problems.

Do you have your boot files to flash in dos? If so how are you typing the flash command?

Here's a screen shot:

Attachments

• atiscreen.png
    atiscreen.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 5,652

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Nooo do it in DOS mode... Thats what ATI FLASH is about.

Do you have a flash drive with windows 98 as the boot drive? Grab it HERE...

Follow the instructions and you wont have any problems.

Once you boot off the flash drive type this

atiflash -f -p 0 whatever the the .bin is

May I ask what card your trying to flash? That helps alot mate.

D

Deleted member 67555

I don't use DOS mode anymore I do it in Windows....
Did you run it as ADMIN?

Nooo do it in DOS mode... Thats what ATI FLASH is about.

Do you have a flash drive with windows 98 as the boot drive? Grab it HERE...

Follow the instructions and you wont have any problems.

Um, didn't you say in your first reply that you'd run it under Win 7 64 with no problems?

May I ask what card your trying to flash? That helps alot mate.

In this case it's one of those weird Radeon 6850 review cards that was really a clocked-down 6870 core. Since AtiFlash won't run at all, though, that's not a consideration at this point. FWIW, I've since found a utility called "atiwinflash" that seems to work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 67555

LOL fullinfusion had it right....I misread and was thinking you were using ATIWINFLASH...
ATIWINFLASH is easier by far

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
LOL fullinfusion had it right....I misread and was thinking you were using ATIWINFLASH...
ATIWINFLASH is easier by far
Easier yes, but stable...hmmm not all the time... I use the latest atiflash tool just so I dont need to remove my cards and flash one at a time and re-install... Dos is simple and way quicker for a multi card set up :rockout:

ati flash -f -p 0 whatever.bin for the top card
atiflash -f -p 1 whatever.bin for the second card...

Volia nice and easy..

Last edited:

rflair

System Name Main PC
Processor Intel Q9550@3.83GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5K-E
Cooling Thermalright TRU120
Memory 8 GB OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) ATI 4890@940/1100
Storage 3.5 TB
Display(s) 24" Dell, 42" Sharp Aquos
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy ZS
Power Supply PC P&C 860
Software Windows 7 SP1 x64
Easier yes, but stable...hmmm not all the time... I use the latest atiflash tool just so I dont need to remove my cards and flash one at a time and re-install... Dos is simple and way quicker for a multi card set up :rockout:

ati flash -f -p 0 whatever.bin for the top card
atiflash -f -p 1 whatever.bin for the second card...

Volia nice and easy..

Those commands work with ATIwinflash also.

You can use ATIwinflash from a command prompt in Windows just like you would DOS.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Those commands work with ATIwinflash also.

You can use ATIwinflash from a command prompt in Windows just like you would DOS.
Cool and thanks for that, I guess your problem is fixed then?