• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Reinstall Question

infocus

Processor Q9550 Quad
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500 AT
Memory G.Skill DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) PNY GTX260 core 216
Storage Intel SSD-WD Blue 640
Display(s) 22" HP LCD
Case Cooler Master 690 Nvidia
Power Supply Corsair TX 750w
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
I need to reinstall Win7 .I have all games and third party programs(NERO,STEAM,games,perfectdisk,pictures,music) installed on my second harddrive.Will these still work "after" the reinstall?Thanks

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
I need to reinstall Win7 .I have all games and third party programs(NERO,STEAM,games,perfectdisk,pictures,music) installed on my second harddrive.Will these still work "after" the reinstall?Thanks

Most games will work just fine, no problems at all, some games may give you an error that its missing a DLL file, just google and download them to fix that problem.

pretty much if a game dosnt work it will tell you why its not working and its usualy a very quick fix.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
OK, so for steam, whut you do is this:

once the OS is installed, drivers, etc, go into the STEAM folder, and rightclick the STEAM .exe and select "run as administrator".

This will make STEAM reset the installation routine for all apps, allowing a fresh install of the games when you first start, without and data loss, and no downloads(minor downloads for file verification). Each time you start an app in STEAM the first time, the install will rn, and you can be sure that your STEAM apps run properly.

Basically everything else is FUBAR'd.

What you can do, if you are using the same drives, etc, you can backup your registry, and then replace it, however, if you are re0installing because of OS issues, this might be the last thing you really want to do.

So, I recommend jsut re-installing the other apps outside of STEAM.

I do do this very often, and very rarely do I have any issues with activation, or such stuff. All my software is legit, so if something doesn't work, usually a quick phonecall to the app maker, and it gets sorted.

------------------------------------------------------------------

All that said, all teh data on the secondary drive will still be there, so your music and pictures should be safe. Jsut make sure you do not install windows with that drive plugged in...leave it unplugged from mobo until you finish windows install.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
If the application(s) place proprietary DLL's in the System directories, or use is dependant upon specific registry settings, then they will most likely stop working correctly.

infocus

Processor Q9550 Quad
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500 AT
Memory G.Skill DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) PNY GTX260 core 216
Storage Intel SSD-WD Blue 640
Display(s) 22" HP LCD
Case Cooler Master 690 Nvidia
Power Supply Corsair TX 750w
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
Hey,thanks for the quick reply you guys..Very helpful...

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
There are ways to mitigate this (to some extent) but it's usually just easier to re-install the apps to make sure you have everything that you need.
Just make sure to do a backup of the entire system (especially your data) in case something goes south.
Games are a little more resilient and you can just put things back where they belong (like save games and such ... this includes Steam/Impulse games), but back all that up also.

We are just trying to help you avoid an "AWW !@#$$$" :banghead: moment as much as possible. ;)