• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5850 Fan control?

1keith1

Somebody should try Linux and WinXP! :rockout:

I know its not helpful but I am just curious and am also at a loss for what it could be.

Afterburn does control (and master!!! hehe) the fan, as long as you dont run CCC (tested here this week)

Yet Ati Tray Tools is not able now. And less CCC.

Ati Tray Tools creator said that it is impossible (or not liked by him), and the only way around is using the Afterburner routine... Interesting stuff...

Afterburner gave me full Clock and Fan control - Autoprofiles sometimes working
Ati Tray Tools gives me full clock control, small voltage control, no fan control (=always auto) - autoprofiles working...

Hard choices :)

PD: Cheers BAGZZlash for helping me out :)

sparksltd

I've tried using Afterburner but I got fed up of having to allow it through uac everytime I bootup.

Yeah, but try running it as a Scheduled Task ;)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Yeah, but try running it as a Scheduled Task ;)

We are trying to get it to work without 3rd party overclocking programs. That's pretty much the whole reason I'm trying to do it. I've used Afterburner and it does work fine but it also doesn't retain 2d clocks.

The user who posted the registry settings has it correct. ATi drivers have a lot of control at the registry level. *Only I can't find the values they mentioned in the post

So, I confirmed this problem, set my idle clocks to 31% in RBE with a somewhat aggressive ramp up. CCC overrode it and set it to it's fan profile. After thoroughly uninstalling the drivers, including the registry and everywhere else ATi could interfere, it worked. 31% in Windows. So right now the only way to fix it is in the registry. Unless there is a way to change it in the ACE folder somewhere...

Last edited:

andyp

Hi

I am also suffering the same problem.
I note the same as above, the fan audibly spins at the correct (BIOS) speed until Win7 has loaded drivers.
I also read elsewhere that ULPS may mess up fan setting, but setting EnableUPLS=0 in the registry and rebooting makes no difference. :ohwell:

Watching the thread with interest,
Andy

Edit: Another observation. Just put an arctic cooling twin turbo pro on the card, with the fan connected to a 12v connector - ie not connected to the 4 pin fan header on the board. Everest still shows a % readout that ramps up and down the the temperature! The drivers must be screwing with reading values as well as sending them.

Edit2: Submitted Catalyst Crew feedback

Last edited:

waYan

Hi @ all

I have the same problem - has anyone found a solution yet?

There must be a way to stop the driver from taking control of the fan control ;-)

greetings
waYan

scamps

First of all: I haven´t found a solution either.

I am working on a semi-passive cooling-solution for my 5850 and did some investigations in 5850´s fan behaviour. Can anybody confirm the following:

@stock-bios and newest ATI-driver the fan seems not to be working on an expected linear curve between Tmin (55°=22%) and Tmax (100°=100%) (like one could expect after looking at the diagram e. g. of RBE). The driver or anything else seems to overwrite the values of the bios-fan curve (as already noticed).
The fan seems to be running all the time @22% (what is exactly "duty cicle min"), with only lowest gains of rpm at increasing temps (much lower as it should be regarding the bios values). But after hitting the Tmax of 100° the fan runs abruptly with 100% and falls back to the duty cicle min-value of 22% (after temp is falling below 100°) again, until the Tmin is reached again. If the load of GPU does not drop in the meantime the fan starts switching between 22% and 100% again and again :wtf:

So I tried this:

I use a PWM-120 mm fan at the 5850-fan connection (with selfmade adaptor) and an Accelero S1 Rev.2 cooler of Arctic Cooling. The 22% - value (of bios and/or driver) is to low to start the fan. So the fan is only once starting at system boot up and runs out. At idle stat the fan is generally not running at all.
But: Under load with those values mentioned in the screen the fan starts running at new Tmax of 75° with 100% (?), cools the card back to below 75°, keeps on running at approx. new "duty cicle min"-value (constant 60%) until the Tmin is reached again. Below Tmin the fan stops running again (lack of enough voltage or better: lack of enough pwm-signal I guess). It is not so easy to prove this behaviour, because the rpms are not monitored really proper and fast (perhaps my 1300 rpm-PWM-fan is to slow :D).

But I was really surprised a little bit by this behaviour. Perhaps somebody can confirm this and perhaps it is useful for somebody.

Edit:
Perhaps another useful hint. With this setup the manual control of the fan via CCC is only working properly with overdrive enabled:

Seems to disable driver´s effect on fan behaviour.

Last edited:

scamps

Did some further investigations, but was not really successfull. Ramp function does not work at all. The driver seems to smash down any change inside bios, keeps active only the Tmax setting. Hysteresis works, but with strange behaviour, too.

Found my best settings at the moment - together with Accelero S1 Rev. 2 a good and working silent solution for 5850. Small review (warning, german language only): http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f136/hd5850-mit-accelero-s1-rev-2-ruhe-im-karton-713264.html

@BAGGZlash
Still hope on your skillz ;) :toast:

ashrack

I have a HD5770 facing the same issue as the rest of you. The Ati driver ignores the bios fan settings.

Are there any workarounds yet, besides 3d party programs?

I just want to pop in here and give my thanks to the developer of RBE. :)

Having successfully flashed my Sapphire 5850 bios to a Asus one, and then again with a modified bios altering the clocks, I am left with a solid solution and I am very happy with that.

I noticed that the fan was uncontrolled and have settled my concern by relying on using catalyst control panel's "overdrive" for overclocking with the volt set in the bios, and more importantly, relying on a fixed (manual) fan speed (50%) in catalyst control panel to ensure proper cooling. With fans on auto in catalyst control panel, the fan hardly spin up and merely rise up from 21% to 30% when things get hot, which is probably the issue people have been discussing in this thread.

Flashing my Sapphire bios to the reccomended Asus one, might in itself have solved an issue I got when overclocking above "max values" in catalyst control panel with the old bios and MSI Afterburner, with Youtube/flash + hardware acceleration + dual screens causing a crash or simply a BSOD. Having used RBE to alter the bios to new clock speeds, I no longer experience the Youtube/flash/hardware-acceleration crash, and yet keep the UVD and "2D" mode working flawlessly for my two screens.

Currently using a Sapphire 5850 card, w. Accelero Twin Turbo Pro w. Thermalright VRM R4.
@ 900MHz core, 1155 MHz memory, 1.225 volt (Ati catalyst 10.10 driver)

Attachments

• clock.jpg
    clock.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
Hey guys ;)

I'm reviving this thread because i just found out the exact same problem on my XFX HD 5850 BE v2.
The display driver overrides all fan settings in the BIOS and that's pretty annoing because it use very bad ones. The fan runs way too slow and the card gets unhealthy hot.

Any new information on how to disable this driver fan control now?

dynomo

I have an xfx5870 V2 that would not take any notice of RBE fan control setting everytime it booted to windows after i flashed it's bios. Interestingly my cards fan was running at 55% all the time from stock. I found on the xfx website another bios that slows the fan to 30%. Flashed that bios over to the card and booted into windows and the ccc set the fan straight away to 30% fine. I have compared the fan control of both the original and new bios and both show identicle fan control settings in RBE? Looks like maybe RBE is missing something?

hovering

I found on the xfx website another bios that slows the fan to 30%.
Confirmed. Moreover, being thrilled by above, I looked into the bios file and isolated 8 bytes, which, when altered, are eliminating so-called "settings are being overridden by driver", lol. Now I can easily get fan 30% or 55% idle on almost any 58x0 bios ATI driver/3d party soft independently. Corresponding bytes are residing @ hex 0000BB73 (though it varies on some bioses). Oh, and RBE seems to be completely unaware of these settings whatsoever. Flashing altered bios into card has to be done with -f switch, and flasher will report device and bios as n\a due to incorrect crc I guess. But it's totally reversible with just flashing back any of "original" bioses — checked it a few times myself.

Sorry for possible spelling, I'm not a native english speaker.

Last edited:

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Corresponding bytes are residing @ hex 0000BB73 (though it varies on some bioses).
Could you post the corresponding BIOS file, please? There are 8 bytes in a row to be changed from this position on, right? What values are they to be changed to?

hovering

Could you post the corresponding BIOS file, please? There are 8 bytes in a row to be changed from this position on, right? What values are they to be changed to?
Sure thing, bios file's attached. Now you're looking for following hex sequence:
Code:
4C1D3421B80B8813
I didn't really have much time to play with it, though found that changing bytes
Code:
B80B
(30% idle revs) to, say,
Code:
1F7C
will set idle revs at 55%.

Attachments

• 587XZD17.zip
    45.1 KB · Views: 269

naranhito82

System Name lga775
Processor Quad core Q6600 @3520
Motherboard P5Q-E
Cooling Termalright ultra 120
Memory 4x1g 555-15 1103 Corsair Dominator Performance=7
Video Card(s) Sapphire toxic 6850
Storage samsung 750 gb sata2
Display(s) acer s222
Case cooler master sniper black edition
Audio Device(s) realtek
Power Supply corsair hx 850w
Software W7X64 SP1 ultimate
Confirmed. Moreover, being thrilled by above, I looked into the bios file and isolated 8 bytes, which, when altered, are eliminating so-called "settings are being overridden by driver", lol. Now I can easily get fan 30% or 55% idle on almost any 58x0 bios ATI driver/3d party soft independently. Corresponding bytes are residing @ hex 0000BB73 (though it varies on some bioses). Oh, and RBE seems to be completely unaware of these settings whatsoever. Flashing altered bios into card has to be done with -f switch, and flasher will report device and bios as n\a due to incorrect crc I guess. But it's totally reversible with just flashing back any of "original" bioses — checked it a few times myself.

Can yo tell me what is that sequence of bytes in that bios or what tool can i use to known it?

I'm very newbie in this please excuse my possible nescience
If i change this 01 to a 00 (like enable 1/disable 0) in the position 3 of file 0000bb70 the driver does'nt override the bios fan control ?? i can use the rbe fan cyle? :confused:

Last edited:

hovering

Sorry pal, but your firmware seems to have a totally different structure, hence no idea what it may look like there.

dynomo

Great, good job I posted this info then :toast:

Processor i5-750 @ 3810Mhz (1.192v)
Motherboard MSI P55-GD85
Cooling Cogage Arrow
Memory 4gb G.Skill PC-12800 Ripjaw
Video Card(s) 2x ATI HD5850 (Gigabyte non ref, XFX ref)
Storage Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB 2x F1 500GB 1x F3 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW
Case Coolermaster HAF922 (window mod+painted)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi Titanium Fatality Pro
Power Supply XFX 650W XXX
Software Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
So will RBE ever support changing the fan profiles on the 5850 bios? I'm running a 5850 crossfire setup and my reference XFX card will not go past 33% fan speed and gets too hot for my liking. Now i cant use Afterburner to control the custom fan profile of the XFX card because my other card is a non reference Gigabyte 5850 OC that will lock up if I use Afterburner to manually set the fan and Afterburner wont allow me to set indvidual fan profiles for each card, it just applies the same fan profile to both cards :S of course I can set the XFX cards fan manually in CCC overdrive but tbh its a PIA to do this everytime I wanna game. So it would amazing if RBE actually supported this in the next release i'm sure a few people are suffering the same issue as me. Of course i'd also welcome any other suggestions or solutions.