• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RIAA suing Russian “pirate outfit” for $1.6 trillion

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
The Recording Industry Association of America has announced that it is set to sue Russian music firm Mediaservices for $1.6 trillion. Mediaservices also owns AllofMP3.com and allTunes.com and is accused of selling music illegally. Apparently the RIAA want $150,000 for each of the 11 million pirated songs. A spokesperson for AllofMP3.com claimed that the suit is unjustified because the company doesn't operate in New York and obeys Russian Copyright laws - it even pays some of its profit to the Russian equivalent of the RIAA, the Russian Organisation for Multimedia, which the RIAA argues has no right to exist. It has been no secret that the RIAA has been unhappy with Mediaservices, but this is the first real action they've taken.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
gl w/ that one...

It is crazy... the only way they could have a decent chance of winning would be to get Mediaservices to an American court - which I doubt they will.

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
It is crazy... the only way they could have a decent chance of winning would be to get Mediaservices to an American court - which I doubt they will.

that would be funny
media services can just say:
*you can kiss my balls suckers...!* :laugh:

ATIonion

years and years ago making music was written and made by artists not by record labels...but when recording companies started to become monsters they change they music industry...its no longer about making good music, but more about making alot of $$$$...

with that said i see a near future where p2p and other such systems of exchange will take back music and force many recording companies out of business....wouldn't it be nice to just have good music that was made for the sake of making it and not for the money........

i compare music and movies to going to an art museum....museums around here you can get in and walk around for free...you don't have to pay to look at anything....could you imagine paying $.99 to see a single painting? Hell no....so why should music be any different......because of the record labels is why....they will be their own undoing....:rockout:

Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI SE
Cooling 2 Exhaust fans
Memory 2x512MB DDR400 RAM
Video Card(s) Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900XT 512MB
Storage 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax
Display(s) Packard bell 17" CRT
Case Stock
Power Supply 580W Hiper Type-R
LOLOL, they want $150,00 for EACH song!! :roll: :roll: :roll: , money grabbing morons, ATIonion i back that one.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
HAHA! I wish them luck with that. On that note. Well Put Onion. well put

bornfree

Despite the bashing of the RIAA, copyright laws will always prevail in a court of law - as they should. The Russian's think they are immune from prosecution for facilitating piracy, but they are wrong. It may take some time but you can be certain that AllOfMP3 will be closed down too, just like every other illegal P2P piracy website.

The courts have no choice but to enforce law and it's right to do so. Pirates will be forced to buy goods and services - just like every other citizen in society or go without. The marketplace determines prices. If you think the price of a product is too high then stop buying it. No one needs to steal - it's simply a bad choice they make and one that can land them in jail - as it should.

Processor i7 4790
Motherboard Asrock Z97 ITX
Cooling Corsair A50 (CPU) and Antec Kuhler 620 (GPU)
Memory G. Skill 8GB 1866
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 290X
Storage OCZ SSD and 1TB Hardrive
Display(s) Dell S2415h
Case Cheap Cougar Case
Power Supply Corsair 650w PSU
Software Windows 10
It may take some time but you can be certain that AllOfMP3 will be closed down too, just like every other illegal P2P piracy website.

LOL, you seriously think EVERY P2P site will be shutdown? You have to be kidding.

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Cooling stock
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Audio Device(s) on-board

Track

Processor Intel Pentium 4 (prescott) 3.0Ghz 1M L2 cache 800Mhz FSB w/HT
Motherboard Asus P4GD1
Cooling Zalman VF900, Zalman 7700, 1x AC 80nm
Memory 1024 MB DDR400 PC3200
Video Card(s) X1900XT (512Mb) @ 745/1660
Storage 1x WD 80GB 8M cache 7200 RPM, 1x WD 250GB 8M cache 7200RPM
Display(s) Viewsonic VA712 LCD 17"
Power Supply 500W
Software Windows XP SP2 Gold Edition
Even if they take down the websites, there is NOTHING to do against P2P because its just 2 ppl exchanging data over the internet, and no one owns the internet. The only way would be to make it illegel to rip ur CDs and have the files on ur PC.

Track

Processor Intel Pentium 4 (prescott) 3.0Ghz 1M L2 cache 800Mhz FSB w/HT
Motherboard Asus P4GD1
Cooling Zalman VF900, Zalman 7700, 1x AC 80nm
Memory 1024 MB DDR400 PC3200
Video Card(s) X1900XT (512Mb) @ 745/1660
Storage 1x WD 80GB 8M cache 7200 RPM, 1x WD 250GB 8M cache 7200RPM
Display(s) Viewsonic VA712 LCD 17"
Power Supply 500W
Software Windows XP SP2 Gold Edition
wouldn't it be nice to just have good music that was made for the sake of making it and not for the money........

If they couldnt make a profit off of it, they wouldnt be doing it.

i compare music and movies to going to an art museum....museums around here you can get in and walk around for free...you don't have to pay to look at anything....could you imagine paying $.99 to see a single painting? Hell no....so why should music be any different......because of the record labels is why....they will be their own undoing....:rockout:

No, thats because u get to keep the song, where as u cannot take the painting home. A museum is like a radio station where u can listen to songs just once, and u pay a little extra so that u can choose what songs are played.

ATIonion

The Russian's think they are immune from prosecution for facilitating piracy, but they are wrong.

I don't pretend to know about international laws and how one country would go about suing another country...So what i say isn't set in stone....however who do they prosecute? how do they prosecute them?

and who the hell has $1.trillion to payout anyway...if record labels have lost out on $1.6 trillion to this, then i have really under guessed the amount of P2P and piracy that occurs...

It may take some time but you can be certain that AllOfMP3 will be closed down too, just like every other illegal P2P piracy website.

I don't think that could happen....trying to stop all P2P would be like telling everyone to stop listening....the way in which P2P works may change to side step legal issues....

The courts have no choice but to enforce law and it's right to. No one needs to steal - it's simply a bad choice they make and one that can land them in jail

i agree that the courts have no choice but to do what they have to do.....and sure no one needs to steal...maybe in a life or death situation to steal could be justified...but we aren't talking about a loaf of bread or some milk for the baby...

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
The Russian Organisation for Multimedia, which the RIAA argues has no right to exist.

Man, the RIAA really needs a damn reality check.

I can understand why the rest of the world hates the US they think they a the world police.

ppl in the US need to get a fucking life.

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
Nice find Jimmy, I heard about it in school today, and was going to post it, but... ;). From what I can tell...A- It's not possible for the lawsuit to actually go through. You can't sue a Russian company from New York, because Russia is not governed by the United States of America. B- $150,000 a song is outrageous and ridiculous, especially for a completely legitimate business in Russia. C- In the unlikely event that this gets into court and is actually accepted, they are asking an unreasonable amount of money. The gross national income of Russia is 1.5 trillion, and they're asking for 1.6. D- Once again, if this went through, a counter suit would be completely reasonable.

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Cooling stock
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Audio Device(s) on-board
I can understand why the rest of the world hates the US they think they a the world police.

ppl in the US need to get a fucking life.

i don't hate the usa, just their government and some stupid laws

DMSMac_Consult

I wouldn't be surprised if the case was dismissed outright on jurisdictional grounds, or transferred to a Russian venue where Russian law will prevail.

And $1.6 trillion? If any judge actually considered letting a case proceed with such an egregious amount sought for damages, he should have his head examined. Is this like the largest lawsuit in history?

ATIonion

If they couldn't make a profit off of it, they wouldn't be doing it.

sure they would...music was around well before people started making huge profits from it....music is vital to all society.....music just wouldn't stop because you couldn't make money from it....

No, thats because u get to keep the song, where as u cannot take the painting home. A museum is like a radio station where u can listen to songs just once, and u pay a little extra so that u can choose what songs are played.

i think you're looking a little too deep into what i said....tho i see your point...i'm not sure how to argue such a topic....we all have ripped from a friends CD...back in the day it was cassette tapes....then cd, and now MP and whatnot......we have all either recorded or have a recording of a live concert....

I'm not saying this is all OK, but its clear that huge changes are coming...and i think after time it won't be an illegal thing to worry about...they can't control it really, and more and more people are going to P2P networks to get movies and music.....after time it can only hurt those industries..

D

Deleted member 24505

i'd just tell the riaa to fuck off and set the russian mafia on 'em.:roll:

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
With how easy it is to move content, the RIAA is soon going to be forced to try to outlaw music on the internet (fat chance) or to put their head between their legs and kiss their ass goodbye.

Private FTP, shared e-mail accounts, hell every messenger out there allows transfers. Talk to someone and get the new CD at the same time.

WTF do they think they are going to do about it?

ATIonion

With how easy it is to move content, the RIAA is soon going to be forced to try to outlaw music on the internet (fat chance) or to put their head between their legs and kiss their ass goodbye.

Private FTP, shared e-mail accounts, hell every messenger out there allows transfers. Talk to someone and get the new CD at the same time.

WTF do they think they are going to do about it?

i agree...

now the question is what will movies and music be like without the big $$$$ being spent on them....last i heard movie makers say they lose about 8% a year, and growing, to pirating....so we have a ways to go before that time...pretty obvious what would happen to the movie industry...they would have to sell a shit load of Pepsi ads in the movies, if they don't sell ads then the movies will begin to really suck...imagine DooM with guys in rubber suits like in Godzilla..lol....but do you guys think it will be good or bad for music industry???

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
i agree...

now the question is what will movies and music be like without the big $$$$ being spent on them....last i heard movie makers say they lose about 8% a year and growing....

I would atribute the movie industry losses on the fact that they keep churning out the same crappy movies over and over again and the number of crappy movies has grown leaps and bounds in the past years, while the number of good movies has declined sharply.

overcast

Processor AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz Stock Voltage
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling Stock Opteron
Memory OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 2 x Western Digital 74gb Raptors
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12-500
Software XP 32bit
years and years ago making music was written and made by artists not by record labels...but when recording companies started to become monsters they change they music industry...its no longer about making good music, but more about making alot of $$$$...

with that said i see a near future where p2p and other such systems of exchange will take back music and force many recording companies out of business....wouldn't it be nice to just have good music that was made for the sake of making it and not for the money........

i compare music and movies to going to an art museum....museums around here you can get in and walk around for free...you don't have to pay to look at anything....could you imagine paying $.99 to see a single painting? Hell no....so why should music be any different......because of the record labels is why....they will be their own
undoing....:rockout:
Museums are heavily financed mostly by wealthy private individuals. Often times you have to pay to attend artists exhibits. Your comparison make absolutely no sense. The record companies put up all the capital, produce the albums, pay all the people working on the albums, the artists, AND THEY OWN IT. They aren't allowed to defend what they own? Get a clue. These arguments are so stupid, you have absolutely ZERO right to their music. You are paying for a licensed copy of the music, you don't own it. Saying you have a right to steal their music is just ridiculous. These laws weren't created with the invention of distributable music/movies. They were created because people are stealing them. YOU CAUSED IT, YOU DEAL WITH THE REPERCUSSIONS. You can't honestly believe that you have a right to free music and movies. I guess I have a right to free cars and houses right? Who is going to make this magical music for the sake of making music? Are you going to feed these people? Pay for their mortgages, their cars? A Communist country might suit you better.

ATIonion

I would attribute the movie industry losses on the fact that they keep churning out the same crappy movies over and over again and the number of crappy movies has grown leaps and bounds in the past years, while the number of good movies has declined sharply.

last i heard movie makers say they lose about 8% a year, and growing, to pirating....

i made an edit to what i said....they estimate 8% a year to just pirating...im sure they have a lose figured in the crap movies they put out tho...

Museums are heavily financed mostly by wealthy private individuals. Often times you have to pay to attend artists exhibits. Your comparison make absolutely no sense. The record companies put up all the capital, produce the albums, pay all the people working on the albums, the artists, AND THEY OWN IT. They aren't allowed to defend what they own? Get a clue. These arguments are so stupid, you have absolutely ZERO right to their music. You are paying for a licensed copy of the music, you don't own it. Saying you have a right to steal their music is just ridiculous. These laws weren't created with the invention of distributable music/movies. They were created because people are stealing them. YOU CAUSED IT, YOU DEAL WITH THE REPERCUSSIONS. You can't honestly believe that you have a right to free music and movies. I guess I have a right to free cars and houses right? Who is going to make this magical music for the sake of making music? Are you going to feed these people? Pay for their mortgages, their cars? A Communist country might suit you better.

argue what you want....thats apart of TPU, but remember when you read this stuff that its mostly opinions....to get all upset over a simple discussion is a waste...and it makes you look like a dick....