• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fractal Design R3 vs NZXT H2 Classic

Thassodar

System Name BNSAUCE
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard MSI 870-G45
Cooling Case fans, Zalman HSF
Memory 8GB (4x2GB) Corsair XMS3 1333 Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATi Radeon HD 6950 (Unlocked Shaders)
Storage Samsung 2TB 5400RPM, 1.5 TB Seagate 7200RPM, 500 GB WD Caviar Green
Display(s) AOC e2243Fw 21.5" Monitor
Power Supply Antec TruePower TP-650 650W
Software Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Alright guys I'm at a crossroad. I'm stuck between two pretty awesome cases (from the reviews at least :)) that look almost the same except for some small differences.

My main problem with the R3 is my video card: will it fit? I have the reference design 2GB PowerColor Radeon HD 6950 which is just about 11 inches long. From the reviews I've watched it doesn't LOOK like it would fit in the R3, and I find conflicting answers through Google. The R3 also only comes with one front fan vs two in the H2 Classic. I know for a fact that my card will fit in the H2 Classic, but I can't find the release date anywhere :banghead:!!!

The Classic also has the hot swap HDD bay on the top. The R3 is missing USB 3.0 as well but my mobo doesn't support it anyways so that's not too much of an issue. The R3 is made mostly of steel from what I gather, the H2 Classic has some cheapy plastic under the front door as stated by some reviews.

The bottom line: They're almost the same. One is available now, the other is "early April". I think two weeks in counts as early April, yet it's still not out :shadedshu. On the R3 I have to buy more fans, the H2 Classic comes with fans AND they have a neat swap feature. They're also mounted DIRECTLY in front of the HDD bay which I like. What do you guys think? Wait it out for the H2 Classic or grab the R3 RIGHT NAO?

STCNE

System Name Lycanthropy
Processor i5 2500K
Motherboard ECS p67-h2a2
Memory 8GB Muskin Radioactive Series
Video Card(s) MSI R7770
Case Lancool K62
Audio Device(s) Ultra-Fi Dac41, Vintage Sherwood amp, STAX SR-5 Headphones
Power Supply XFX 850W
Software Win 7 64-Bit(Tried Win8 and never going back)
Benchmark Scores Reboots in 35 seconds flat, with a standard HDD. I'm a bit of an OCD tweaker. Using less than 100GB
On the H2 Classic i dont like my hard drives mounted that way, i prefer the bays facing the side panels so you can mount cables away easily. You'll still need to add a top optional fan to the NZXT H2 Classic.

NZXT adds in other features like USB 3.0, a really good bottom dust filter, some cool wireless fan feature too and a hot swap bay on top if you like those.

NZXT H2 Classic is what id wait for because even though it doesn't mount hard drives the way i like it looks like a good rip off of the R3 with more features.

You can check out a video review here (a proffessional review btw).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6uqupcZHN0

EDIT: Watch for clearance issues on the NZXT. I dunno it really depends on if you think those new features are enough to make you get the NZXT. Forgot to add i dont like how they had a side fan on a silent case on the Fractal R3 because if you dont add one there is just a hole for it that looks a bit out of place to me.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
i replaced my thermaltake eureka with the nzxt h2 and i'm very happy with it. getting everything to fit was not easy

sniviler

System Name NZXT PHANTOM MENACE
Processor PHENOM II 970 BLACK EDITION @4.1Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Scythe RASETSU
Memory G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX470 OC
Storage 3x 2TB WD Black drives 2x OCZ Vertex 3 SSD's
Display(s) Gateway FHD2400
Case NZXT PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) X-FI
Power Supply Thermaltake 750w
Software WIN 7 64bit
just curious have you looked at the nzxt phantom ?

I like the white R3 ;]

Forget what i said just add in a side fan

Usual story with NZXT of old, they just tried to rip another case off and ended up getting the build quality wrong. Its like Lancool and Lian Li, the features are definitely there but they need to drop the plastic front panels because im my experience plastic front panels are nothing but shite.

Thassodar

System Name BNSAUCE
Motherboard MSI 870-G45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHcyWTorjdU
I was also looking at these two cases, after watching the video posted above, I'm certain I'm going for the R3.

I saw that review originally, it almost seems like he was having a bad day and decided to pick on the H2 Classic because he has such a boner for the R3 :laugh:.

On the H2 Classic i dont like my hard drives mounted that way, i prefer the bays facing the side panels so you can mount cables away easily. You'll still need to add a top optional fan to the NZXT H2 Classic.

NZXT adds in other features like USB 3.0, a really good bottom dust filter, some cool wireless fan feature too and a hot swap bay on top if you like those.

NZXT H2 Classic is what id wait for because even though it doesn't mount hard drives the way i like it looks like a good rip off of the R3 with more features.

You can check out a video review here (a proffessional review btw).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6uqupcZHN0

EDIT: Watch for clearance issues on the NZXT. I dunno it really depends on if you think those new features are enough to make you get the NZXT. Forgot to add i dont like how they had a side fan on a silent case on the Fractal R3 because if you dont add one there is just a hole for it that looks a bit out of place to me.

That review was better thought out and it mentioned a few of the things the guy above said in his review. Now, though, I'm thinking I may need to go to a different cases altoggether. They said the H2 Classic can fit 11" cards BUT you'll lose about 3 HDD slots. That means if I want to CrossfireX I'll lose SIX HDD bays, which is unacceptable. Unfortunately that may be the same case with the R3...

Before looking at these two I was looking at the BitFenix Shinobi, but there are NO reviews of that case on Youtube. The reason why I took the Shinobi out of the running was because it had no sound dampening, which I think I would enjoy immensely on the other two cases. On the other hand, though, the Shinobi can hold two 6950s without sacrificing HDD bays most likely, which is awesome.

My beef is I'm a gamer but I hate super gaudy LED ridden cases, I like to keep it simple. The only ones I've seen recently are either server/workstation cases that support WAY more stuff than I'll ever need OR are cases that look nice but are cheaply built. My current case (some $50 CoolerMaster) has to give up a few HDD spots for my 6950 as it is, I want to avoid that if possible. So do you guys have any suggestions for simple non-flashy cases in the $60-$120 range that can fit two 6950s (11" each) without a hitch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus V Gene
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced
Memory 8GB Samsung Green@ 220Mhz 10-11-10-28 T1 1.55v
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce GTX460 768MB 850Mhz/1999Mhz
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 120GB + lots of other drives
Display(s) 27" AOC e2795Vh
Case Bitfenix Shinodi
Power Supply Corsair GS 800W
Software Windows 7 64bit
I saw that review originally, it almost seems like he was having a bad day and decided to pick on the H2 Classic because he has such a boner for the R3 :laugh:.

That review was better thought out and it mentioned a few of the things the guy above said in his review. Now, though, I'm thinking I may need to go to a different cases altoggether. They said the H2 Classic can fit 11" cards BUT you'll lose about 3 HDD slots. That means if I want to CrossfireX I'll lose SIX HDD bays, which is unacceptable. Unfortunately that may be the same case with the R3...

Before looking at these two I was looking at the BitFenix Shinobi, but there are NO reviews of that case on Youtube. The reason why I took the Shinobi out of the running was because it had no sound dampening, which I think I would enjoy immensely on the other two cases. On the other hand, though, the Shinobi can hold two 6950s without sacrificing HDD bays most likely, which is awesome.

My beef is I'm a gamer but I hate super gaudy LED ridden cases, I like to keep it simple. The only ones I've seen recently are either server/workstation cases that support WAY more stuff than I'll ever need OR are cases that look nice but are cheaply built. My current case (some $50 CoolerMaster) has to give up a few HDD spots for my 6950 as it is, I want to avoid that if possible. So do you guys have any suggestions for simple non-flashy cases in the $60-$120 range that can fit two 6950s (11" each) without a hitch?

How about a Cooler Master 690 II Case with noise dampening kit?

Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
Fractal design = awesome !!

Thassodar

System Name BNSAUCE
Motherboard MSI 870-G45
How about a Cooler Master 690 II Case with noise dampening kit?

That case looks almost IDENTICAL to the one I have now, but the inside is much better thought out. That's a very practical option now! Thanks for the recommendation :toast:.

Now is the noise dampening on the case? Or do I have to buy it separately? The Hardware Canucks review of the case didn't mention anything about it.

Processor Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus V Gene
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced
Memory 8GB Samsung Green@ 220Mhz 10-11-10-28 T1 1.55v
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce GTX460 768MB 850Mhz/1999Mhz
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 120GB + lots of other drives
Display(s) 27" AOC e2795Vh
Case Bitfenix Shinodi
Power Supply Corsair GS 800W
Software Windows 7 64bit
That case looks almost IDENTICAL to the one I have now, but the inside is much better thought out. That's a very practical option now! Thanks for the recommendation :toast:.

Now is the noise dampening on the case? Or do I have to buy it separately? The Hardware Canucks review of the case didn't mention anything about it.

You would have to buy a kit separately sadly :( but if you shop around they can be quite cheap.