• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooler for 1155, that doesn't require removing motherboard?

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
There are hardly any coolers for LGA 1155 that doesn't need a bracket.

Well if you find one that doesn't need a bracket for LGA 1156 then it doesn't need one for LGA 1155...

There are hardly any coolers for LGA 1155 that doesn't need a bracket.

Well if you find one that doesn't need a bracket for LGA 1156 then it doesn't need one for LGA 1155...

Alright, in that case, I think I'll go with the one above. It seems to cool fairly well for the size/price anyhow. :)

streetfighter 2

Discovered the stock heatsinks with sandy bridge cpus are absolute trash (was hitting about 80c !)
The stock heatsink is a bottlecap with some thermal paste on it. :roll:

As entropy13 it isn't really possible to get a 1155 heatsink that doesn't have a bracket. What I believe you want is a heatsink that doesn't require a "back plate". However, since you have an Antec P183, I suggest you disregard your unfounded desire to ditch the back plate. Installing a cooler with a backplate is trivial with the Antec P183, and there are considerably more coolers to choose from.

Nevertheless the ZALMAN CNPS5X is a pretty nice cooler and is a fine decision. :rockout:

As entropy13 it isn't really possible to get a 1155 heatsink that doesn't have a bracket. What I believe you want is a heatsink that doesn't require a "back plate". However, since you have an Antec P183, I suggest you disregard that absurd desire to ditch the back plate. Installing a cooler with a backplate is trivial with your case, and there are considerably more coolers to choose from.

Nevertheless the ZALMAN CNPS5X is a pretty nice cooler and is a fine decision. :rockout:

Yeah, I was amazed at how little metal there was... even compared to the old 775 stock heatsinks. My friend was showing me the awesome rifle coolers that Intel was originally going to ship with unlocked sandy bridge cpu's, what happened to those. 0_o

Yeah, I meant one without a backplate. Mostly because it would be awesome to not have to install the motherboard twice in one week (somehow doing so feels wrong). :laugh:

These, but, can't find reviews on the DeepCool IceWind series, but they look nice...:ohwell:

No, back plates, it seems.:)

IceWind

IceWind FS

Geeks has 'em and so does Directron - IceWind and FrozenCPU

Cooler Master makes the Hyper TX3

:)

The TX3 looks fairly nice... Why is it so cheap I wonder?

Last edited:
Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu

As entropy13 it isn't really possible to get a 1155 heatsink that doesn't have a bracket. What I believe you want is a heatsink that doesn't require a "back plate". However, since you have an Antec P183, I suggest you disregard your unfounded desire to ditch the back plate. Installing a cooler with a backplate is trivial with the Antec P183, and there are considerably more coolers to choose from.

I beg to differ on that cooler. Might be better than stock, but for that price I'd get a Cooler Master Hyper 212, and just do the extra work involved in installing the back plate. The installation for the Zalman is terrible. It just didn't feel secure when I put one on for a customer that insisted on that cooler. If you want something even better, there are several excellent and not too expensive coolers that do need a back plate, like the Venomous X or Megahalems.

I beg to differ on that cooler. Might be better than stock, but for that price I'd get a Cooler Master Hyper 212, and just do the extra work involved in installing the back plate. The installation for the Zalman is terrible. It just didn't feel secure when I put one on for a customer that insisted on that cooler. If you want something even better, there are several excellent and not too expensive coolers that do need a back plate, like the Venomous X or Megahalems.

Ah really? Yeah I was wondering exactly how stable it would be, although it seems like a fairly light heatsink at least?

Would you recommend canceling the Zalman and getting the Hyper TX3 (if you have any experience with those)?

streetfighter 2

Yeah, I meant one without a backplate. Mostly because it would be awesome to not have to install the motherboard twice in one week (somehow doing so feels wrong).
What I was saying earlier is that your case has an enormous (read gargantuan) access hole behind the mobo so that you do NOT need to remove the motherboard to install the backplate.

I spent about 40 minutes the other day cutting a backplate access hole in a Cooler Master Elite 335. Without the aforementioned convenience, I wouldn't buy a cooler with a back plate. I managed to fit one of these in an Elite 335 :laugh:.

What I was saying earlier is that your case has an enormous (read gargantuan) access hole behind the mobo so that you do NOT need to remove the motherboard to install the backplate.

I spent about 40 minutes the other day cutting a backplate access hole in a Cooler Master Elite 335. Without the aforementioned convenience, I wouldn't buy a cooler with a back plate. I managed to fit one of these in an Elite 335 :laugh:.

Wait what? I thought that my P183 didn't have a mobo access area, it was only on the newest revision?

Here is the one I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129061&Tpk=p183

System Name Evolv Xtreme
Processor Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E
Cooling EK Hardline Tubing
Memory 4 x 8GB Corsair RGB Pro @ 3000 MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 2080 Ti FE w/ Full cover EK RGB Waterblock
Storage 2 x Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, 1 x Seagate Barracuda 8TB
Display(s) ASUS MG28UQ
Case Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Samsung WAM7500
Power Supply EVGA G2 1000W
Mouse R.A.T.6
Keyboard Das Keyboard 5Q
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hyper 212+ is a great value for money. I wish they'd kept the LED fan from previous rev.