• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First kiss

serialkiller

My first computer was a Commodore 64. That thing was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I had tons of games for it. It was my dad's computer then he bought a 286 computer and I got this one. After that was a Intel 386 33 MHz I was happy to be running 3.1 and have sound. After that was 486 AMD 133 Mhz. I played my first 3D game on it with a Riva 128, also the first graphics card I ever bought. 4MB PCI. GlQuake was awesome. After that was AMD K6 366 and I got a 2x CD Burner. I remember they were just coming out so I could copy games and take them back to the store and say my computer wouldnt work with it and get a refund. Then I went to Athlon Slot A 800 MHz and bought a Voodoo2. Then it was an Athlon XP 2000 and geforce2 mx. Now I am at a Sempron 2200 Overclocked to about 1.75 Ghz. I got the bus at 195 Right now. And I joined this forum because I just ordered a Radeon 9500. I have been an Nvidia fan forever but ATI has been looking good for a long time. I cant wait till it gets here. I hope it mods to a 9700. I guess I should say Hello and my name is Jason.

Actually there were 2 bigfoot series. The cyclone is the one everyone knows, it's slow big and crap. Later the tyrex or t-rex (whatever) came, it was 5,25"still but lower, also was 7200RPM. Just as crap though, the latter came in versions over 8Gb, cyclone stopped at 6,4 I believe.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Seems I had the oldest PC processor here, 8088s where built in 1979, could only allocate one MB of RAM, and only had an 8 bit databus (even worst than the 8086 with its 16 bit databus). I couldn't even install Windows 3.1 in that PC, as it required a 286 class proc... I remember being able to install DOS 6.22 which was ten times better OS than windows in those days... Makes me feel sooo old :D

Halki

somewhere.. over the rainbow (Zilina, Slovakia)
Nergal said:
So if anyone has an Idea what I can do with a K6/2, let me know.
Currenly, it has 2 networkcards, and works (half) as a firewall.
Perhaps a DMZ is better?

saw a cd/mp3 player once... it consisted of two wooden boxes with reproductors, in one of those was a psu, mobo and a cd-rom drve, it ran linux (but you can try win 98 if you dare), and a led panel displaying artist n title.... linux ran a prog, which had all the mp3s from the harddrive in database, and automatically replaced the hdd playlist with songs from cd when it was inserted... read it a looong time ago tho, don't remember the link mon... the tricky thing would be the cooling (but some heatsinks on steroids should do it, vents would'nt be as good because of the noise) yeah and some newer harddisk /w acoustic management would be great too

nevertheless, k6/2 could handle dvd's too?

Halki

somewhere.. over the rainbow (Zilina, Slovakia)
hmmmm.... my oldest one was a 486 sx, i think it was 33 (well, i think older was 486 dx 66, sx's were released later, but whatever, this is the competition for most shitty pc anyway :) ), it had a trident 512k gfx (i've lend it to my friend and he tried some woodoo with the bioses (maybe first bios change ever :) ) but he did screw it up, ah well)... soundcard was sbpro compatible, i think its name was mozart or something like that... had a 512mb western digital, tried to rip audio once with my 2x mitsumi cdrom... it got filled in notime... i didn't knew anything about terms like "% free space" :) yeah and i've ran win 3.11 on it (i even remember ive found some drivers for agp gfx for w311, but not sure if it wasnt only some hallucination) ... really nice os, but ive always wondered about why should i put some wallpaper on the desktop, especially when it got covered with hwite something.. not sure if i could handle win 3.11 if i had the opportunity once again .. oh, i had 8mb ram too, quite good for those times...

man, and i thought i can title myself as a veteran pc user... now it seems that i'm just another kid with a calculator :D

Anarion

Processor amd HAMMER SERIES 62% oc
Motherboard epox 8NPAJ
Cooling Active, Noisy , air
Memory gSKILL 2gb
Video Card(s) 2900 xt 1g
Storage diamondmax+
Display(s) 215TW HDCP 95%+! color accuracy
Case aluminium sHOW CASE BP
Audio Device(s) Behringer dj pro hpx4000
Power Supply acBel Ai iS
Software xp pro sp2
15th Warlock said:
Seems I had the oldest PC processor here, 8088s where built in 1979,

wow, many of us even didn't born , Morlak said he used a (kinda 76 pc if could call pc :D )

but u had it , wooow :eek: :eek: :eek:

DanTheBanjoman said:
Actually there were 2 bigfoot series. The cyclone is the one everyone knows, it's slow big and crap. Later the tyrex or t-rex (whatever) came, it was 5,25"still but lower, also was 7200RPM. Just as crap though, the latter came in versions over 8Gb, cyclone stopped at 6,4 I believe

it seems u had a crush on that hdd thing though :p :D ,bye the way, really impressive, how did u remember such stuff , (which i :mad: ) :D

Halki said:
saw a cd/mp3 player once... .....
:eek:

i just a little confused , whta was all of this about ?? :confused:

Halki said:
man, and i thought i can title myself as a veteran pc user... now it seems that i'm just another kid with a calculator

:D

Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
I guess the title to the oldest computer goes to Morlak, he beat my old 8088 proc by 3 years :)

Anarion

Motherboard epox 8NPAJ
Memory gSKILL 2gb
Video Card(s) 2900 xt 1g
Storage diamondmax+
Power Supply acBel Ai iS
Software xp pro sp2
15th Warlock said:
I guess the title to the oldest computer goes to Morlak, he beat my old 8088 proc by 3 years :)

yep , but u had that oldi, morlak said use that & it ain't belong to him :rolleyes: i guess so

DanTheBanjoman said:
What does he win?

First Kiss :rolleyes: :D

DanTheBanjoman said:
What does he win?

Two Royal Caribbean tickets for a pleasure cruise to the Bahamas with all expenses included. All he needs to redeem the price, is to present the original proof of purchase of that 1976 computer :p :D

thumper

I had an old atari 512 if that counts if not the next one after that was a p2 233 with mmx

ndgoh

My first....

486DX4-100Mhz
850mb HDD
512kb trident (later upgraded to 2mb S3Virge, then add RAM to 4mb)
4mb RAM (later upgraded to 12mb)
14" SVGA
No Cd Rom (later upgraded to a creative 6X... Whoa!!!)
No S/card, no speaker

And I'll never forget...... WAR CRAFT I....... sigh..... :D

Anarion

Motherboard epox 8NPAJ
Memory gSKILL 2gb
Video Card(s) 2900 xt 1g
Storage diamondmax+
Power Supply acBel Ai iS
Software xp pro sp2
thumper said:
I had an old atari 512 if that counts if not the next one after that was a p2 233 with mmx

i stiil have the atari but i think it is out of order now :D :mad: ,
;) about counting , i have no idea, but atari had a adventure karate game & air plane game which they were best of best sssssiiiiiigggggghhhhhhhhhh arghhhhhhhhh... :(

ndgoh said:
512kb trident (later upgraded to 2mb S3Virge, then add RAM to 4mb)

And I'll never forget...... WAR CRAFT I....... sigh..... :D

that was so funny each 0.5mb of vram about 5 or 6 bucks , :mad:

& war craft ver 2 was alot better but also agree @ its time was unique.

ndgoh

Anarion said:
that was so funny each 0.5mb of vram about 5 or 6 bucks , :mad:

And you can pluck the RAM out of the board and put them back! Quite interesting isn't it? Hmmmm.... maybe nVidia and ATI should come out with a VGA card where the RAM is upgradeable! :D How nice!! :p

C&C Freak 2K

I was born and raised on a Mac. Right around when we moved to Milpitas, CA (1992), dad brought home a Mac Quadra 610, which featured a 24MHz 68040 processor and 16MB RAM. It also had a grand total of 800MB HD space, divided evenly between the internal disk and an external drive named only Hammer. Man...I'd give ANYTHING to play Cosmic Osmo again. Ran System 7.5.3. It had a CD-ROM drive but it was one of those caddy loaders.

Fast forward to 1998. TRW (yes, the very same, now Northrop-Grumman) had a change-over from Macs to PCs. TRW was selling its old Mac equipment at base price to its employees. Dad brought home a PowerMac 7600/120, which sold as such a unit would sell...except TRW didn't know it was upgraded with a 300MHz G3 upgrade card (I looked inside, the heatsink was quite monolithic). It had a 5GB disc, with each of us family members getting 1GB of space (which totalled to 3), plus dad's partition, which was also the system partition, which constituted 2GB. It featured the G3 and 224MB RAM. I still remember blowing shit up in Escape Velocity. Man, those were the days. Ran System 8.5.1. Had a tray loading CD-ROM drive.

2000. I come home from middle school to find dad finishing setting up our first PC: a Dell Dimension (the model number eludes me and I'm too lazy to go out and find it). It features a 900MHz Pentium 3 socket version, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, a 40GB 7200RPM IDE hard drive, and a TNT2 AGP. Were it not for Dell, I probably would never have discovered Deus Ex. It ran Windows Millenium Edition. It never hit me how much it sucked until later on.

Now? Well, my current PC happened around October 2001. It was an HP Pavilion 7955. Featured a Pentium 4 at 1.5GHz (one of those iffy Williamette cores), 256MB PC133 SDRAM, and also had a TNT2 AGP. I upgraded it heavily: Now it totals 512MB PC133 SDRAM, a GeForce2 Ti (which was upgraded again and is now a Radeon 9600 Pro), winmodem replaced with a U.S. Robotics modem, and it packs a SB Live! 5.1. The original hard drive was a Hitachi 40GB 7200RPM, which bit the dust after 4 faliures. It was replaced with some other drive (I can't remember), which was replaced with a Seagate 60GB 7200RPM, which I'm VERY happy with. Just last Christmas, dad got me a WD 80GB, which died and we got RMA'd (it has worked ever since and stores my digital media). The case was replaced about a year and two months ago with a POWMAX black and silver case with a window. Just about a month ago the power supply died (it was a cheap switching one), and got replaced with an Antec SmartBlue 350W. Hopefully I can replace the motherboard and CPU and have this thing completely rebuilt.

So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:

Anarion

Motherboard epox 8NPAJ
Memory gSKILL 2gb
Video Card(s) 2900 xt 1g
Storage diamondmax+
Power Supply acBel Ai iS
Software xp pro sp2
ndgoh said:
And you can pluck the RAM

maybe nVidia and ATI should come out with a VGA card where the RAM is upgradeable! :D How nice!! :p

u know , ati & nvidia just ARE/WERE , DOOM inc!s - perfidious to every user that love'em - just take a look @ their competition they have ; "big losers just were/are we .!" As always.

we live on money/profit/take world . (MPT same as nuclear organization :D )

BTW , can rermember those DOS days & managing Memory for play-ing, like upper memory back memory sometin called hyper & ...... we must organise the memory for playing & if NOT , some times games prompt memory not enough ,128 kb is short. :D :D

& & we buy some memory(cache) for MB , but they were even more expensive than Vrams :D :D :D :D

C&C Freak 2K said:
born and raised on a Mac

and I'm sticking to it.

those days , yep , it was greatest , but after a while , billions of games utility , app , had/have been make for dos/win/... , after that (who cares about photo shop run close 3times faster on a mac with about 1/3 speed of a p3 :D ) , mac is/was ,always expensive .too(& every thing relate to it - but not as an vital option for many (like me) for not to be boughten!) many like me just consider, wow, look, games, wow, look , new prog , THE variety is life

((the way u go , is in my mind nice-st , coz ; less expenditure as possible , more performace as can get. yep, we live on real world when u play games At desire-d rate . then why must pay almost a grant for just vga.which it next year is as half . & two years after that u just see games that need that power !))

i didn't mean to be awkward to any other ppl (romp jumpy HW enthusiast) , it was just a private conv.

wow 3d1 x850 xt pe . wow great , wow let's go for it (don't read aboves "(())" )

:D

regg187

MY first system was pre- commodore 64,(time frame around 1976 or 1977) used a commodore pet and an apple (around 1978), then an apple II, and an apple IIE,( 1980-81) Bought my first sys from a friend. it was an HP with a AMD K-5 333MHZ with a 5 inch 8 gig hd and a hp cd burner it had 64mgs ram (2001)

Chrisophe

My first one was a ZX81 from Sinclair (I think that the ZX81 was the first PC in Europe)
1ko, no HD and your fingers and a pen to save datas :)

Anarion

Motherboard epox 8NPAJ
Memory gSKILL 2gb
Video Card(s) 2900 xt 1g
Storage diamondmax+
Power Supply acBel Ai iS
Software xp pro sp2
woooowww. is it possible send a pic (i mean maybe u can find an old pici some where)

am hell eager to see what it was look like

Bob7317496

Our first computer was an old 8088 we got for free... It sported a crisp CGA monitor, 500-something KB of RAM and dual 5.25" floppies! (My first ever computer repair was actually to fix one of the floppies - the cable was loose and it wouldn't work). Later, we got another 8088 that had a 20MB hard drive! 20MB! This is the one that I learned all of the intricacies of MS-DOS on with help from a book from the library.

The first computer we had that was ever worth anything was a 66mhz 486DX with 20mb of RAM and a 512mb notebook harddrive. After that came a hand-me-down Pentium 133 with 16mb of RAM, which I got for myself after the family upgraded to a 433mhz Celeron eMachine (which was probably the most uninformed purchase anyone could make - EVER). I remember how the Pentium flew when I upgraded its RAM to 32mb, and put a 2GB hard drive in it!

The parents moved from 433mhz Celeron to 566mhz Celeron to 1.1Ghz Celeron until I finally convinced them just to buy a 3Ghz P4 Dell 3000 in December - the LCD monitor sold them. I just got done building the rig in my signature a couple of weeks ago to replace am AMD 2400+ laptop I got for my 18th birthday (which I had to pay for most of).

I think that's a pretty needlessly thorough history of my computer ownership... Enjoy! :)

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
My first PC :
Comet - 8086 CPU
10 MB Harddrive
0.5 MB memory
1 x 8 inch floppy
1 x 5.25 inch floppy
CGA graphics
Second PC :
Noname 286 CPU ( 16 MHz I guess )
20 MB Harddrive
2 MB memory
Trident 0.5 MB GPU
Running DOS v. 3.0 and Windows v. 1.0 ( really fast stuff )

bcgone5150

Processor AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Motherboard Asus A7V8X
Cooling 2 80mm Intake, 3 80mm Out, Thermaltake on cpu
Memory 1 G
Video Card(s) ATI Raidon 9550
Storage 40G Maxtor 80 Western Digital
Display(s) Old 21 in Gateway
Audio Device(s) On board
Software XP 32-bit Pro
First computer was a Commodore 64, Moon Patrol oh those were the days and we had an apple IIc with the green screen.

LOL, the good ol days.

Avun

My first computer was a Dell Opti Plex GX 100 I got in 01, Then I got my my P4 rig and I was so blown away when I noticed the performance difference.. Yes im fairly new to computing but I know alot for my newness!

Anarion

Motherboard epox 8NPAJ
Memory gSKILL 2gb
Video Card(s) 2900 xt 1g
Storage diamondmax+
Power Supply acBel Ai iS
Software xp pro sp2