• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking an i7 2600k on an asus sabertooth

newls1

As I noted above, it's only 8+2 compared to the 12+2 on the pro, and 16+2 on the deluxe. It's not a good idea to base motherboard purchase solely based on aesthetics.

Come on, you do realize that the choke/phases on the sabertooth are 2 times the size as the chokes on the other asus boards right?? The sabertooth has nearly the same exact power phases / chokes as the maximus board and the WS version P8 board. Why do people always think, "Oh my board has 37 chokes and a 4*16 power setup so it must be better then a board with only 8 chokes." I dont understand the knowledge:twitch:. I've had both boards the P8P67-PRO, and the Sabertooth..... My OC using the same 2600k was 200MHz higher on the sabertooth using less voltage... explain that huh? Sabertooth is a superior board hands down then the p8p67 series boards, and you do pay a small fee for it. YES, the board has a "thermal Armour" that is nearly pointless, and YES, the board is somewhat ugly.... WHO CARES!!! the board performs excellent. And maybe im 1 of the few, but I can speak with 100% proof behind my statements as i've used board boards... Some people just "TALK" cause it's what they have "READ" on the internetz forumz....... but have nothing to back up statements..... END RANT----------:D

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Come on, you do realize that the choke/phases on the sabertooth are 2 times the size as the chokes on the other asus boards right?? The sabertooth has nearly the same exact power phases / chokes as the maximus board and the WS version P8 board. Why do people always think, "Oh my board has 37 chokes and a 4*16 power setup so it must be better then a board with only 8 chokes." I dont understand the knowledge:twitch:. I've had both boards the P8P67-PRO, and the Sabertooth..... My OC using the same 2600k was 200MHz higher on the sabertooth using less voltage... explain that huh? Sabertooth is a superior board hands down then the p8p67 series boards, and you do pay a small fee for it. YES, the board has a "thermal Armour" that is nearly pointless, and YES, the board is somewhat ugly.... WHO CARES!!! the board performs excellent. And maybe im 1 of the few, but I can speak with 100% proof behind my statements as i've used board boards... Some people just "TALK" cause it's what they have "READ" on the internetz forumz....... but have nothing to back up statements..... END RANT----------:D

Easy there, killer. I've never owned the Sabertooth, so of course we discuss what we've read and compare/contrast it with what we actually know. The wonderful thing about an open forum is that people can add or contradict knowledge based upon their experiences. Members before you already pointed out the difference in phase design, etc. That is good. I also had issue with the board only having support up to 1866. That was found to not be true too. That's also good, because now others considering the board may now buy it because of that information. I welcome those people in the know to challenge what I or others assume. I just prefer people not be jackasses in doing so. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 74752

Consider any of the Biostar mb's...you will not be disappointed. ;)

newls1

Easy there, killer. I've never owned the Sabertooth, so of course we discuss what we've read and compare/contrast it with what we actually know. The wonderful thing about an open forum is that people can add or contradict knowledge based upon their experiences. Members before you already pointed out the difference in phase design, etc. That is good. I also had issue with the board only having support up to 1866. That was found to not be true too. That's also good, because now others considering the board may now buy it because of that information. I welcome those people in the know to challenge what I or others assume. I just prefer people not be jackasses in doing so. :laugh:

I 100% did not mran to come off as a jackass, but rather frusturated when I keep reading false info... Good day sir!

System Name HAL
Processor core i7 2600K
Motherboard P67 Extreme 6
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 8GB
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 @ R9 290X
Storage OCZ Vertex 3
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster T220
Case Corsair Graphite 600T
Audio Device(s) build in
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
P67 Extreme 6 here.

4.5 GHZ 24/7 in just one mouse click. H70 cooler.
Highest oc I've reached stable was 5.0.