• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OCZ Announces New Indilinx ''Arowana'' Flash Translation Layer for SSD Suppliers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a leading provider of high-performance solid-state drives (SSDs) for computing devices and systems, today unveiled the Arowana Flash Translation Layer (FTL) from Indilinx. Supporting both existing and upcoming Indilinx controllers, this firmware subset dramatically improves performance and enterprise capabilities and enables SSD suppliers to deploy cost-effective 2xnm NAND flash memory.

"We are always driving to add more value for our clients, and the exciting new Arowana Flash Translation Layer delivers both major performance and feature-set enhancements," commented Daryl Lang, VP of Product Management at OCZ Technology Group. "Arowana not only boosts IOPS performance by up to 500%, but does so with the support of the industry's latest 2xnm flash technology, making Indilinx solutions now more competitive than ever."

The revolutionary new Arowana FTL enhances performance of Indilinx controllers with HyperQueuing, which significantly increases sequential write speeds and random IOPS over the previous generation FTL. In addition, Arowana's support of 2xnm flash provides SSD suppliers with the ability to offer end users a more attractive product with lower cost NAND components. The new Arowana FTL also maximizes the life of low endurance flash with INXtend Technology.

Arowana will continue to offer Indilinx's proprietary Ndurance Technology to extend the lifespan of flash devices with sophisticated wear-leveling algorithms, reduced write amplification, and advanced over provisioning. Furthermore, the new FTL supports TRIM along with superior idle time garbage collection that requires no operating system interfacing as well as the innovative Indilinx Wiper tool for non-TRIM systems.

Arowana will be made available immediately in new firmware updates to current Indilinx SSD controller customers as an upgrade package, and will be deployed in future Indilinx products.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Cool. So if i understand this right, existing Indelinx based drives users will get these improvements for free on existing drives (from OCZ).

araditus

If someone could help me understand the words in this article:

Is this the news I have been waiting for to finally buy an SSD, a while ago I said to myself, I will wait till a true 2nd generationg of SSD's comes out becuase right now I dont trust them for various reasons and they need to iron out a few issues.

Example: When the Venice cores of AMD came out in 2004 or whatever it was HOT stuff, man they killed pentium 4 right? But then 4 months later or what have you the DUAL CORE came out, 2 anthlons!! So I bought a 4800+ x2.

Second Question:
"Furthermore, the new FTL supports TRIM along with superior idle time garbage collection that requires no operating system interfacing as well as the innovative Indilinx Wiper tool for non-TRIM systems."

Does this mean that as of right now when RAID is applied you cannot used TRIM with SSDs right? With this new controller has this problem been eradicated as well? If so I am sure many SSD user around the world will rejoice.

Is this that news I have been waiting for to buy an ssd?

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Is this that news I have been waiting for to buy an ssd?

I doubt it. There are already much better options than an indilinx drive with some caching gizmo. Looks like a way for Ocz to get better performance out of crappy cheap nand and a slower controller.

I doubt it will come close to sandforce drives....

System Name Ladpot ◦◦◦ Desktop
Processor R7 5800H ◦◦◦ i7 4770K, watercooled
Motherboard HP 88D2 ◦◦◦ Asus Z87-C2 Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Mixed gases ◦◦◦ Fuzion V1, MCW60/R2, DDC1/DDCT-01s top, PA120.3, EK200, D12SL-12, liq.metal TIM
Memory 2× 8GB DDR4-3200 ◦◦◦ 2× 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 ◦◦◦ heaps of dead GPUs in the garage
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 2TB ◦◦◦ Samsung 840Pro 256@178GB + 4× WD Red 2TB in RAID10 + LaCie Blade Runner 4TB
Display(s) HP ZR30w 30" 2560×1600 (WQXGA) H2-IPS
Case Lian Li PC-A16B
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S / Contour RollerMouse Red+
Keyboard Logitech Elite Keyboard from 2006 / Contour Balance Keyboard / Logitech diNovo Edge
Software W11 x64 ◦◦◦ W10 x64
Benchmark Scores It does boot up? I think.
RyderOCZ said:
this will support 34nm only
link

That rules out many Barefoot drives afaik.

System Name Late 2013 rMBP 13'' w/ 250 GB SSD
Display(s) Dell P2416D @ 2560x1440 & Dell U2211H @ 1920x1080
Audio Device(s) NuForce uDAC-2 w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 & Sennheiser HD595
Mouse Logitech G400 @ 1600 DPI
Keyboard Razr Black Widow
Software OS X
Interesting... I've got an old cheap OCZ Solid 2 60GB that uses the Indilinx Barefoot controller. Apparently this drive uses 34nm flash -

From Andandtech -
OCZ recently announced the Solid 2, a horrible name (the old Solid was based on a JMicron controller) but similar approach to the Agility.

The first Solid 2 drives are being built now and they use the same Indilinx controller as the Vertex and Agility. The difference? Once again, it’s the flash. These drives use Intel’s 34nm flash.

The initial Solid 2 specs were very low and I’ve received confirmation that they were simply conservative. Performance is changing on a daily basis now and OCZ simply made the announcement to get pre-orders started. Apparently there are issues getting the Indilinx controller working with Intel’s 34nm flash but OCZ is making progress.

Anyways, I've enjoyed this drive for over a year now. It certainly performs beyond the specs OCZ announced for it. It's going to be put in my second rig when I upgrade to a bigger and faster SSD in my main rig soon.