• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SanDisk Launches New Enterprise Solid State Drives

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
SanDisk Corporation, a global leader in flash memory storage solutions, today expanded its Lightning(R) Enterprise Flash Drive (EFD) family with six new 2.5-inch 6Gb SAS (6 gigabits per second Serial Attached SCSI) models. The Lightning products are part of the new Enterprise Storage Solutions (ESS) division that SanDisk created following its recent acquisition of Pliant Technology.

The new drives include three SLC (single-level cell) flash drives with capacities of 100 gigabytes (GB), 200GB and 400GB; and three MLC (multi-level cell) flash drives with capacities of 200GB, 400GB and 800GB. The new drives extend SanDisk's position as the industry leader in EFD performance, performance predictability and reliability. SanDisk also confirmed today that HP has qualified and integrated the new Lightning 6Gb SAS drives into its HP Qualified storage drive offerings.

"With ever-increasing demands being placed on cloud and enterprise IT, our OEM partners require data storage solutions that don't just keep up, but help their customers stay ahead," said Greg Goelz, vice president and general manager, Enterprise Storage Solutions (ESS), SanDisk. "Our new Lightning drives advance SanDisk's industry-leading enterprise-class performance, reliability and endurance. Meeting HP's stringent qualification requirements underscores our current leadership with EFDs as well as our commitment to continue to deliver breakthrough capabilities."

The six new SanDisk Lightning 6Gb SAS EFDs provide IT managers and OEMs with new levels of system design flexibility. The SLC- and MLC-based models feature a new Single Firmware Binary technology that reduces customer qualification time and speeds time-to-market. These models feature Write Through Logging (WTL) technology, a superior solution that delivers high performance at low queue depths to avoid volatility that would otherwise require battery back-up or supercapacitors for protection. WTL operation is completely transparent to the host and maintains a predictable performance profile across different workloads.

SanDisk's enterprise-class Lightning products are integrated into HP Qualified storage drives and available to customers on HP ProLiant servers, providing benefits that include performance, reliability and efficiency for storage applications. The ProLiant DL380 G7 server has been named one of the top 10 systems in terms of price and performance by the Transaction Processing Performance Council and is included on the TPC-C list.

Today's announcement of the six new 6Gb SAS drives extends the Lighting family to 11 models, making it the industry's broadest offering of SAS SSD solutions to fit a wide range of solutions. All SanDisk Lightning EFDs are based on an advanced controller design and software architecture that delivers dramatic I/O performance and reliability improvements over competing SSD technology and low energy consumption in demanding enterprise computing environments.

The Lightning EFD Product Family
SanDisk Lightning products are available in a 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch standard form factor with capacities ranging from 100GB to 800GB. The new drives are designed to integrate seamlessly into existing SAS enterprise storage and server systems without the need for modifications to existing applications, operating systems or infrastructure. For real-world workloads, Lightning drives perform 2X to 4X better than the competition and maintain very low response times under the heaviest of workloads. This enables system designers to build high-performance RAID storage solutions with multi-terabyte capacities using fewer Lightning drives.

SanDisk Lightning EFDs Feature:
  • Predictable performance profile across enterprise workloads with mixed read/write workloads, stability over time and during peak demands
  • Full duplex, fully independent, dual-port SAS interface for high performance and data reliability; wide port support for integrators needing to aggregate bandwidth from both SAS ports for the highest levels of throughput
  • Write cache-less design eliminating data loss on power interruptions, delivering consistent performance across a wide range of workloads
  • Complete end-to-end data protection and reliability features: including background Patrol Read and Memory Reclaim, extended ECC, triple-redundant ECC protected metadata, and support for the T10 Data Integrity Field (DIF) standard
New Lightning 6Gb SAS EFD Availability
The new SanDisk Lightning 6Gb SAS models are being delivered for OEM qualification, and will be available via authorized channel partners in Q3, 2011.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
if i didn't read the headline id swear it was a solar panel

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
This picture is interesting...

... it makes the modularity of SSD quite obvious.

Seems to me that we need an SSD controller on the mainboard, and SSD-flash slots with a "standard" flash "simm" that we can populate to our own personal needs.

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
New technology mean more expensive, but anyway it's awesome, can't imagine this speed what can do.

TiN

System Name selfmade caseless :D
Processor Intel ES
Motherboard EVGA X299 DARK ES :)
Cooling LN2
Memory G.SKILL DDR4 @ 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX Kingpin's
Storage Intel P4500 4TB
Display(s) Philips BDM4350
Case none
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA NEX 1500W's
Mouse None (trackball)
Keyboard Steelseries APEX RAW and Corsair K-something
Software W2k8 R2 64bit SP1, FreeBSD 12
Benchmark Scores http://www.hwbot.org/community/user/tin?oldstyle=true
There is some really expensive big FPGA on bottom side of main PCB, from view of ball fanout :) $>30kUSD i bet

WarraWarra

3 ssd's in one with tape connection lol

Imagine if each had it's own sataIII connectors to "raid 0 of sorts" the 3 sataIII connectors together.
Want more speed then connect 2nd / 3rd sataIII connector and voila instant speed boost 1.8gbps .

Processor intel i5 2500k,atom280@1930mhz
Motherboard msi h61
Cooling i have cooler master V8 but now im on stock :P
Memory team group elite 2x2 1600 @1333 7 7 7 20
Video Card(s) sapphere 5850 toxic@900/1250
Storage WD 1TB green 5400 32mb ,WD 250gb 7200/8mb
Display(s) HP 22" 1680x1050 hdmi
Case asus vento
Audio Device(s) creative XFi fatality+creative gigaworksG500 5.1
Power Supply cooler master gx 750
Software win7,64bit
System Name Blue Monolith (working on name)
Processor AMD Phenom II 1090T... on H2O
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7
Cooling EK-Supreme with 2 radiators for the moment ~ 22 celsius
Memory Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR3 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 KHX1600C8D3K2
Video Card(s) hd 6870 Sapphire 1GB
Storage 8x 500GB Seagate Barracuda on LSI controller
Display(s) Samsung 206BW
Case Aplus Black Pearl WCR with water cooling mounts :)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Platinum Fatal1ty Champion
Power Supply Gigabyte ODIN GT-800 (that with software)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores WORKING IN PROGRESS P10464 in VANTAGE(this is the old score)
at frist view.... for me look like a sattelite with solar power ... :D

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
mlc must vanish but current manufacturer must sell this to increase profits; current market seems to be invaded by mlc and buyers don't really know or they just afford this kind of investment without thinking if is worthy;i won't buy mlc period;i need unlimited re-write ssd without fearing to loose data at decent price ratio/gb and than i may consider changing the mechanical ones

System Name Fishy's Computer
Processor Intel e8400 3.0 ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-e
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gb Mushkin hp2
Video Card(s) XFX 9800GTX Artifact Edition
Storage 640 gig Western Digital, 200 gig Samsung
Display(s) LG W2242P
Case Cooler Master 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard ftw!
Power Supply Corsair hx 520
Software what ever i run.
Benchmark Scores none yet
mlc must vanish but current manufacturer must sell this to increase profits; current market seems to be invaded by mlc and buyers don't really know or they just afford this kind of investment without thinking if is worthy;i won't buy mlc period;i need unlimited re-write ssd without fearing to loose data at decent price ratio/gb and than i may consider changing the mechanical ones
SLC, MLC; Doesn't matter all of them will have a limited amount of writes, but hey hdds do too.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
3 ssd's in one with tape connection lol

Imagine if each had it's own sataIII connectors to "raid 0 of sorts" the 3 sataIII connectors together.
Want more speed then connect 2nd / 3rd sataIII connector and voila instant speed boost 1.8gbps .

IMO this is completely the wrong way to go about things. Raid and SATA were born to solve HDD controller and HDD hardware limitations.

A far better solution is to have a SSD controller put on the mainboard with it's OWN dedicated PCI Express 3.0 lane. You than have 4 simm-like slots. And you plug in a standardised flash module.

This was MASSIVELY improve performance and remove the need for raid and sata... nothing more than protocols and hardware that "get in the way". Moreover, putting the controller on the mainboard, and standardising flash "simms" would massively reduce costs.

It's a performance and a dollar win. Who will do it first? Intel, AMD, or a third party board manufacturer in combination with one of the SSD controller companies? Let's wait and see...