• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate Ships Pulsar XT.2 Enterprise SSD

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Seagate today began distribution channel shipments of the Pulsar XT.2 solid state drive (SSD) that combines outstanding and consistent performance with the data integrity and drive endurance needed for the most demanding enterprise environments, and is on track to commence channel shipments of the Pulsar.2 SSD, the first Multi-Level Cell (MLC) Flash-enabled SSD from an enterprise hard drive maker, on July 29.

The Pulsar XT.2 SSD combines Single-Level Cell (SLC) flash with a native 6Gb/s Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) interface to make it the fastest drive in the Seagate portfolio. The 2.5-inch SSD with up to 400GB of capacity is optimized for complex, mixed workloads typical of enterprise environments such as online transaction processing (OLTP), database or web indexing, and email.

The Pulsar.2 SSD has been designed specifically for data centers, unlike typical MLC SSDs built for consumer applications, which lack the robust data integrity and reliability required for enterprise applications. The drive, featuring up to 800GB of capacity, automatically detects and corrects any number of data errors that could otherwise plague normal drive operations, delivering the price/performance, data integrity, and endurance needed for performance-hungry enterprise applications. The Pulsar.2 SSD supports both native 6Gb/s SAS and Serial ATA (SATA) 6Gb/s interfaces for primary and secondary server storage.

"Most SSD suppliers aren't fully aware of the needs of the enterprise," said Jim Handy of Objective Analysis. "It isn't just a fast interface like SAS, Fibre Channel, or PCIe that they need, and it isn't just IOPS levels in the tens to hundreds of thousands. Without data integrity and reliability, an SSD is worthless to most enterprise users. Seagate's undeniable leadership in the enterprise HDD market has given the company a deep understanding of the necessity of data integrity and endurance."

Pulsar XT.2 Performance Validated by Industry-Standard SPC-1C Result
The Pulsar XT.2 400GB SSD has met the rigorous standards of the Storage Performance Council (SPC), a vendor-neutral consortium that defines, administers and promotes industry-standard storage benchmarks, for consistent and sustainable enterprise-class performance. The new SPC-1C Result demonstrated that the Pulsar XT.2 SSD delivers the sustainable storage device performance enterprises need round-the-clock - regardless of the workload complexity or changing server input-output (I/O) intensity levels.

Fluctuating workloads, background media management and program/erase functions can lead to erratic SSD performance, compromising a data center's ability to meet stringent service-level agreements. These concerns can be alleviated by SSDs that hold up under exacting performance tests requiring the devices to sustain maximum I/Os for extended periods.

In a single storage device configuration, the Seagate Pulsar XT.2 SSD produced an SPC-1C Result* of 20,008.82 SPC-1 IOPS with an average response time of 2.05 milliseconds over a 10-minute duration, compared to an SPC-1C Sustainability Test result of 20,011.07 IOPS with an average response time of 2.08 milliseconds over four hours, demonstrating outstanding and consistent enterprise-class performance over time.

The real-world SPC-1C benchmark, designed for storage components, consists of I/O patterns typically found in online transaction processing (OLTP) applications, with a focus on random accesses. Unlike Iometer testing, which gauges IOPS performance using discrete measurements of random reads, random writes, sequential reads or sequential writes, SPC-1C benchmarks test storage components using a dynamic blend of random and sequential reads and writes to emulate real-world enterprise workloads. Storage professionals worldwide view the SPC as the definitive source for independent and verifiable comparisons of real-world application performance.

As part of the SPC-1C Result, the Pulsar XT.2 SSD also met the new SPC-1C requirement for data prefilling. Prefilling reduces any potential performance gains storage component vendors may produce by destroking a device, or limiting access to certain portions of the storage space to artificially increase performance. Prefilling writes random data to the entire addressable space of the drive.

Details of the Seagate Pulsar XT.2 SSD SPC-1C Result can be found here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Crappy IOPS with no throughput info. Why doesn't Seagate invest more in hybrid drives is beyond me. Only model they ever released was Momentus XT, a 2,5" drive. Why no 2TB and 3TB hybrid 3,5" monsters!?

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I think you missed this part about "IOPS":
The real-world SPC-1C benchmark, designed for storage components, consists of I/O patterns typically found in online transaction processing (OLTP) applications, with a focus on random accesses. Unlike Iometer testing, which gauges IOPS performance using discrete measurements of random reads, random writes, sequential reads or sequential writes, SPC-1C benchmarks test storage components using a dynamic blend of random and sequential reads and writes to emulate real-world enterprise workloads.

AFAIK hybrid drives have very complicated firmware and it's not that much faster than normal HDD.

And don't forget this is Enterprise SSD, you don't want to experiment with untested products/technologies in this segment of the market.
You need reliability with these drives, not crazy speed with bad reliability.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
Crappy IOPS with no throughput info. Why doesn't Seagate invest more in hybrid drives is beyond me. Only model they ever released was Momentus XT, a 2,5" drive. Why no 2TB and 3TB hybrid 3,5" monsters!?

Cuz they only do well in certain operations, I have one in my work laptop and it isn't really that much faster than my personal laptop that has a WD scorpio in it, not by a noticeable amount anyway, the only place it is noticeably faster is loading windows and quicken. And lets be honest 2TB and 3 TB drives are for back up and storage no OS and such. SSD's are the future and are almost at the point of 120-240 GB drives being at the $1 per GB price ratio.