• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you think multi GPUs are worthy ?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
To a point this is true, i dont have many of those issues (touchwood) but i do have in alot of games if vsync is turned on i get mouse lag, this is why i turn it off.

Yeah, mouse lag can happen, but that's usually a problem with the game engine not being properly written. One shouldn't be forced into this.

Also, many times, there are settings one can change to reduce this, which might be hidden away in .ini files or something.

Funtoss

System Name My Heater
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Asus P5B-E Plus
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 NT
Memory Patriot 4GB 800MHz DDR2
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 460 1GB
Storage 2x Western Digital 640GB (1.28TB)
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2349wm 24"
Case Raidmax Hurricane
Audio Device(s) C-Media 8738
Power Supply Aywun Megapower 650w 80+
Software Windows 7 64 Bit
Gotta repect the power of a single GPU

but then again Multi GPU's are people's option that get more performance for a cheaper price ;)

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
Well, give me a single GPU setup which can run 5760x1080 with respectable performance and I'll gladly replace my cards with it.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Could this really be true that multi card set ups have not been perfected ?

That the industry promote multi card set ups knowing they are inefficient and terrible value ?

I would just like to say that I have not read the other comments, so maybe this has been said already.

1. Absolutely.

2. It's not terrible value. Sometimes dual cards scale really well.

And microstuttering happens sometimes, but with some tweaking most of the kinks can be overcome.

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
I would just like to say that I have not read the other comments, so maybe this has been said already.

1. Absolutely.

2. It's not terrible value. Sometimes dual cards scale really well.

And microstuttering happens sometimes, but with some tweaking most of the kinks can be overcome.

I've never noticed micro-stuttering I've owned up to 3 cards and I can confidently say that you won't experience any major or noticeable stuttering at all, It will still run as smooth as a single card, this is what I've experienced. And in regards to scaling it always scales really well it is only sometimes that it doesn't depending on the title. It's not perfect but it is completely viable, you definitely will get the performance you've paid for, the only downside is there are "some" games that may need an extra tweak or two that you'll require to do to get it running optimal which will most likely be for an older game as newer games that do have crossfire issues are now much better supported than before, for example Crysis 2 and The Witcher 2 both games received performance patches and hotfixes from the game developer side AND the GPU manufacturers Nvidia/AMD themselves and now have crossfire running optimal for both games without the need to tweak anything.

Imo in terms of gaming and performance a single GPU will never beat multi-GPU setups when it comes to maximum settings. But the question is are you willing to pay the price for maximum settings?

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I've never noticed micro-stuttering I've owned up to 3 cards and I can confidently say that you won't experience any major or noticeable stuttering at all, It will still run as smooth as a single card, this is what I've experienced.

I'll second that. With vsync turned on and no dropped frames it will indeed be smooth as butter.

You only get microstutter where vsync is off and it will happen whether the rendered frames are going faster or slower than the monitor refresh.

System Name White Theme
I'll second that. With vsync turned on and no dropped frames it will indeed be smooth as butter.

You only get microstutter where vsync is off and it will happen whether the rendered frames are going faster or slower than the monitor refresh.

Ah I forgot about the people who play without V-Sync, I wouldn't know too much in that area as I prefer not to have screen tearing as opposed to having higher numbers on fraps.

dnottis

After many attempts at multi GPU setup... I've settled for fastest single card on the market the last few generations and I'm much happier. I went with a 120Hz LCD and gaming is butter ...and you don't need vsync - sorry but the input lag with vsync was a show stopper for me.

Recently a few friends finally dumped their multi GPU setups too... driver (issues including flashing issues and seeing smoother performance with one card over two), microstuter (which I'm particulary sensitive too), heat were factors that came into play... I'll say this they are much happier now with their one GTX 570 vs their multi GPU setups. It might not benchmark as fast but gaming is more enjoyable.

I've attempted it many times but I've found gaming is just more enjoyable with one high end GPU.

iamthewizard2

System Name QD Blu-Ray 280 i7
Processor Quad Core i7 965 4.2 gighertz - 4.2 gigahertz max from turbo boost mode.
Motherboard Gigabyte x58 EXTREME motherboard
Cooling Air
Memory 12gig Patriot Triple Channel DDR3 OC to 1850Mhz
Video Card(s) Duel Geforce GTX280 SLI + gold lined DVI cabling
Storage x2 WD Velociraptor 300gig in raid-0, x2 WD 75 gig Raptor Drive, x2 Seagate 1 terrabyte NS Drives, x1
Display(s) Samsung T220 Blue, LG W2252TQ 22', 19' Dell
Case Lian Li V2010B Hairline Brushed Aluminium Case
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Software Windows Vista 64bit, Photoshop CS4, virtually every PC game!
dude i dont know which planet you are from but ive owned many nvidia graphics cards in my life...in fact i upgrade at least once-twice a year. i havent noticed the microstuttering issue on ANY NVIDIA CARD (in SLI mode) that was made after the 9800 GX2. Man i keep hearing gamers rage and complain about this issue....err what microstuttering???....either something is wrong with your computer, your settings or your eyes.

dnottis

dude i dont know which planet you are from but ive owned many nvidia graphics cards in my life...in fact i upgrade at least once-twice a year. i havent noticed the microstuttering issue on ANY NVIDIA CARD (in SLI mode) that was made after the 9800 GX2. Man i keep hearing gamers rage and complain about this issue....err what microstuttering???....either something is wrong with your computer, your settings or your eyes.

Some people are more sensitive to it... others aren't. its real, it's documented, we know what causes it and why. Its there. Whether it bothers you or not is something that you cannot control. Either you see it or you don't.

iamthewizard2

Processor Quad Core i7 965 4.2 gighertz - 4.2 gigahertz max from turbo boost mode.
Cooling Air
Storage x2 WD Velociraptor 300gig in raid-0, x2 WD 75 gig Raptor Drive, x2 Seagate 1 terrabyte NS Drives, x1
I went with a 120Hz LCD and gaming is butter ...

err.....you really dont understand how monitors and framerate work do you???? a faster refreshing monitor doesnt mean you get smoother or faster framerate dude. that depends on your graphics card, how demanding the game is and whether or not you have vsync turned on or off to prevent screen tear. it also is dependent on the graphical settings and what resolution you are playing on. to say a 120 hz monitor is faster than an ordinary 60hz monitor is so...welll....BS. you need to research better.

trust me...i have a wealth of experience in the graphic design business....

dnottis

err.....you really dont understand how monitors and framerate work do you???? a faster refreshing monitor doesnt mean you get smoother or faster framerate dude. that depends on your graphics card, how demanding the game is and whether or not you have vsync turned on or off to prevent screen tear. it also is dependent on the graphical settings and what resolution you are playing on. to say a 120 hz monitor is faster than an ordinary 60hz monitor is so...welll....BS. you need to research better.

I never said it was "faster". You have no idea what you are talking about clearly.. you can feel the difference of a 120hz LCD on the desktop. The mouse movement is smoother.

Unfortunately your wealth of experience didn't get turned into something more useful. I worked in pre-press and graphic design for 8 years but that has nothing to do with refresh rates and gaming without tearing ...:wtf:

iamthewizard2

Cooling Air
Some people are more sensitive to it... others aren't. its real, it's documented, we know what causes it and why. Its there. Whether it bothers you or not is something that you cannot control. Either you see it or you don't.

i do know what microstuttering is...like i said previously ive owned many many nvidia setups in my life. back in the day of the 9800 i noticed the microstuttering...very very obvious+++....now with my duel GTX 580s and duel 480s on my other pc...no microstuttering whatsoever.

iamthewizard2

Cooling Air
you can feel the difference of a 120hz LCD on the desktop. The mouse movement is smoother.

so you're version of 'gaming like butter' is 'faster mouse movement'....ROFL.....

dnottis

so you're version of 'gaming like butter' is 'faster mouse movement'....ROFL.....

yea, cause thats what I said... :wtf: Come back when you are capable of having a conversation not just "ROFL blah blah blah durrr ROFL".

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

Eh, what? I'm sorry, but it's you who doesn't understand this.

Having a faster screen refresh on your monitor increases your temporal resolution, so yes, the movement literally is smoother. You can certainly feel the difference even on the desktop, too.

Having a game animate smoothly at 120Hz (vsync on, no dropped frames) is quite literally twice as smooth as one animated at just 60Hz (also with vsync on and no dropped frames).

In my old CRT days, I was able to get a refresh of around 200Hz or so with no dropped frames and movement was smooth like liquid, truly unbelievable. It's hard to describe, but it was fantastic.

Note that I was running at only 800x600 and playing an old, undemanding game, to prevent frame drops. Oh and the picture wasn't exactly sharp, either. :)

If you don't believe us, just google it. This is basic stuff.

I never said it was "faster". You have no idea what you are talking about clearly.. you can feel the difference of a 120hz LCD on the desktop. The mouse movement is smoother.

Unfortunately your wealth of experience didn't get turned into something more useful. I worked in pre-press and graphic design for 8 years but that has nothing to do with refresh rates and gaming without tearing ...:wtf:

Yup, +1.

System Name White Theme
After many attempts at multi GPU setup... I've settled for fastest single card on the market the last few generations and I'm much happier. I went with a 120Hz LCD and gaming is butter ...and you don't need vsync - sorry but the input lag with vsync was a show stopper for me.

Recently a few friends finally dumped their multi GPU setups too... driver (issues including flashing issues and seeing smoother performance with one card over two), microstuter (which I'm particulary sensitive too), heat were factors that came into play... I'll say this they are much happier now with their one GTX 570 vs their multi GPU setups. It might not benchmark as fast but gaming is more enjoyable.

I've attempted it many times but I've found gaming is just more enjoyable with one high end GPU.

Of course you can say you don't need vsync, you have a 120hz monitor. You get MUCH MUCH more screen tearing with Vsync off on a 60hz for obvious reasons. Also you'd need Jesus' eyes to notice any micro stuttering on the newer cards. Heat etc, really all depends on how well you can accommodate these factors as it is definitely the reason most of us here invest on a well ventilated case to support overclocks and multi-gpu setups.

dnottis

Of course you can say you don't need vsync, you have a 120hz monitor. You get MUCH MUCH more screen tearing with Vsync off on a 60hz for obvious reasons. Also you'd need Jesus' eyes to notice any micro stuttering on the newer cards. Heat etc, really all depends on how well you can accommodate these factors as it is definitely the reason most of us here invest on a well ventilated case to support overclocks and multi-gpu setups.

after I gave up on multi GPU setups I went with a 120hz LCD. I didn't invest in 120hz till just recently but will never go back to 60hz LCD now.

I water cool GPU and CPU so heat was never my issue. Just micro stutter.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Theres a good article at Toms about micro stuttering and crossfire/sli performance.

Toms is very critical about both companies:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

I always tell people to buy the fastest single GPU you can afford. For people with multiple monitors or really high res and need a second GPU, your best option is 2 highend cards.

2x low-mid range cards isnt good according to Toms.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
I just read that Toms article very interesting I don't however suffer from micro stutter whilst using 2x HD5770's but then I also don't run high AA (above 4x) either I don't find the need for it at 1920x1080 I find MLAA does a much better job and is faster than 4x AA

and according to Tom low end/mid range cards don't come with 2x CF bridge connections well that's just bollocks my HIS HD5770 comes with two

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
and according to Tom low end/mid range cards don't come with 2x CF bridge connections well that's just bollocks my HIS HD5770 comes with two

It'll likely depend on the brand and which country it's sold in, so I wouldn't say there's no truth in it.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Theres a good article at Toms about micro stuttering and crossfire/sli performance.

Toms is very critical about both companies:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

I always tell people to buy the fastest single GPU you can afford. For people with multiple monitors or really high res and need a second GPU, your best option is 2 highend cards.

2x low-mid range cards isnt good according to Toms.

hardly a throrough review, but it does show that 2 cards in sli are less likely to experience it than 2 in crossfire. perplexingly though it also shows that if you do have it in 2 card crossfire, just add another card as that will fix it.

as shown on the graphs properly configured sli and 3 or 4 way crossfire looks very much like a single card experience as far as frame variation goes. This pretty much proves what most of us have been saying. Microstutter? what microstutter?

this is especially true as microstuuter tends to be less the higher average frame you're rendering. So with higher end cards it will be less noticible simply because they're rednering higher frames.

and to be fair even single cards give off the microstutter phenomenon if you look at the graphs.

System Name Titan
Processor AMD FX-8350 4.6ghz
Motherboard AsRock 990FX Fatal1ty Professional
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX Double D 7970 3gb
Storage Western Digital Green 2TB 64mb Cache/ Western Digital 500gb
Display(s) iMac Display 2560 x 1440
Case NZXT Switch 810 White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Personally I absolutely love crossfire/sli setups. With anything, there's ups and downs. But in my opinion, way more ups than down.

It brings me great joy that my 380USD crossfire 6870s kill a 500 USD GTX 580, 480, and 5970. Great performance for the cost. When it works, it works.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
2 HIS 6870 in crossfire at stock. Only issues pop up Depending on drivers(preview) and a clean install of drivers. The caps usually smooth everything out. I usually max everything out just,because I paid for 2 cards 2 b able to. Worth it.2 me yes for the tripple monitors