• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I just unlocked my x850 Pro...

szinda

And i've never really kept track of my video card temperature, but it's running at 58c idle, that's really high right? I noticed in DOD it was getting up to the 80c range. Would unlocking 4 extra pipelines cause this???

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
And i've never really kept track of my video card temperature, but it's running at 58c idle, that's really high right? I noticed in DOD it was getting up to the 80c range. Would unlocking 4 extra pipelines cause this???

your fan is most likely running in dynamic mode[sets speed of fan relating to card temp] you need to set it to 100% with ATItool or get some aftermarket cooling

szinda

it's hitting 88c when i play DOD, that's with the fan at 100%, i even checked to make sure my vid fan was running and it's running full speed. Is it possible that ATITOOL is wrong? I mean 88C, wouldn't my game crash or completely freeze at that heat?

System Name MONEY PIT
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Mouse Rat7
"it's hitting 88c" is that at stock speeds or did the bios you modded with reset speeds to higher values.. please post current stock speeds

szinda

"it's hitting 88c" is that at stock speeds or did the bios you modded with reset speeds to higher values.. please post current stock speeds

I modded my video card JUST to open the extra 4 pipelines. ATItool shows that i DO have 16 pipelines now, when i idle in windows with the stock cooling fan speeds it's around 57~. When i run games with stock fan speed my temps hit up to 90C according to ati tools (i jsut alt tab out). I changed the fan speeds to always be at 100% but i'm still reaching 90C. Could this be an error, or is it possible my card is really running that hot and still running DOD?

The bios i modded to was supposed to only open up the 4 extra pipelines, not increase the gpu/memory speeds. I show my gpu/memory speeds as 499/499, which is what they were originally.

You need to lower you clocks until you get a better cooler in order to decrease heat issues or youll shorten the life of your card.

ny_driver

System Name Overclock_Machine
Processor DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
Motherboard Opteron 146(3746MHz)
Cooling A/C Chiller w/ mod-Apogee XT/EK-FC4890 Special Edition
Memory 2 x 512MB OCZ Gold VX PC4000
Video Card(s) HD4890-Sapphire OC Edition
Display(s) Acer G235H-23" LCD
Case no, thanks
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Corsair TX-850w
Software Tiny7/XP
Benchmark Scores 6.625Ghz 965BE - CPU-Z 25,607 points 3dmark06 - 2 cards@952/1050
I would suggest you try to figure a way to get better air flow past the video card...such as an intake fan mounted below it and an exhaust fan on the upper part of the case.

something like this....http://home.twcny.rr.com/nydriver/closeup.JPG it's easy

System Name MONEY PIT
Mouse Rat7
yes it will run that hot and then ??? di you mod your current bios or did you flash card with XT or EXPE bios???? post current core/memory clocks

ok seee your speeds now as test mannually set speeeds down to 350 core 400 mem and see result temps pls post temp

Last edited:

ATIonion

were your temps. like that before you modded it?

sounds like it could be a couple of things...

1. most bios mods are made from the xt or xtpe bios, in that case the clocks are set higher for those cards and your pro may not be able to go that high...make sure your clocks are stock..500/500

2. did you make sure that the bios you used had the same RAM as the card you have?
frogger would know better then me on this, but i thought i read that if you use a bios that was made for diff. RAM then the voltages may be set diff. too.....higher voltages mean more heat...but again idk if the x850 voltage can be adjusted threw the bios.....

3. sometimes depending on who produced the card (HiS, ATI, Sapphire, etc.) the thermal paste may not be fully covering the core, or the cooler may not be making good enough contact to the core....you may want to remove your cooler and inspect the thermal paste, then make sure that the cooler is mounted good...sounds like your card is a sapphire, if so then redo the thermal paste and remount the cooler...tight but not too tight...don't bend the card..

4. fan speed needs to be maxed out100%....i know you said it was, but make sure by listening to the card....make sure you hear it wind up..cause that card will be loud when its fan is maxed out...

hope this helps you somewhat...good luck :rockout:

szinda

were your temps. like that before you modded it?

sounds like it could be a couple of things...

1. most bios mods are made from the xt or xtpe bios, in that case the clocks are set higher for those cards and your pro may not be able to go that high...make sure your clocks are stock..500/500

2. did you make sure that the bios you used had the same RAM as the card you have?
frogger would know better then me on this, but i thought i read that if you use a bios that was made for diff. RAM then the voltages may be set diff. too.....higher voltages mean more heat...but again idk if the x850 voltage can be adjusted threw the bios.....

3. sometimes depending on who produced the card (HiS, ATI, Sapphire, etc.) the thermal paste may not be fully covering the core, or the cooler may not be making good enough contact to the core....you may want to remove your cooler and inspect the thermal paste, then make sure that the cooler is mounted good...sounds like your card is a sapphire, if so then redo the thermal paste and remount the cooler...tight but not too tight...don't bend the card..

4. fan speed needs to be maxed out100%....i know you said it was, but make sure by listening to the card....make sure you hear it wind up..cause that card will be loud when its fan is maxed out...

hope this helps you somewhat...good luck :rockout:

Well i know for sure the fan is at 100% speed, i just tested it, set it to 50% and the vid card got much quieter, back to 100% it got very loud. I also reverted to the original bios @ 12 pipelines (the one on the flash utility). It still shows the GPU as running at 51 idle now. I don't think the air circulation in my case is that good, but i do have 3 fans, that couldn't account for such a huge temperature increase though could it? Is it possible, that like you said, the manufacturer just didn't do a very good job of mounting the heatsink/fan onto the gpu?

System Name MONEY PIT
Mouse Rat7
"the manufacturer just didn't do a very good job of mounting the heatsink/fan onto the gpu?"
possible who made card???

szinda

"the manufacturer just didn't do a very good job of mounting the heatsink/fan onto the gpu?"
possible who made card???

It's an ATI card, manufactured by ATI. Would me adding more case fans possibly fix the problem? Or would i need to buy a new heatsink/fan for my video card if i wanted to get temperatures around 25-30C?

ATIonion

that couldn't account for such a huge temperature increase though could it? Is it possible, that like you said, the manufacturer just didn't do a very good job of mounting the heatsink/fan onto the gpu?

ya its possible...i have seen it many times...from sapphire (usually older 9xxx cards) and from VisionTek cards...

but i should also say the just because you are able to unlock does not mean that the xtra 4 pipes you have are good pipes....some say that the PRO line was just made from XT and XTPE cores that didn't meet specs....

edit: you posted while i was typing this post....ATI brand cards usually have the better thermal paste coverage...almost sounds like your core is just running hot....any chance you can RMA it if you can't solve this problem?

also when you open those pipes, usually your card won't clock as high as it did when it was 12 pipes....in fact in my case when i overclocked at 12 pipes my AM score was very close to the score i got with overclocking 16pipes...

if you are going to check your thermal paste then make sure you have some to re apply....if you were getting that hot then the copper plate will most likely take most of the paste off when you remove it...or worse yet they have used thermal tape...

my card with stock cooling at 12 pipes sat 40C idle and upto 75+ load....that didn't change for me when i opened the pipes....51C still sounds a little high for idle...

szinda

Well i'm honestly thinking about selling this card anyways, and getting a new card. It's running at 51C idle right now @ 12 pipelines. How much of a difference do you think bad air circulation could account for? I'm about to completely rebuild my system with a new processor, mobo, and ram so i may just see if adding more fans and rearranging the way my case is setup will help, but i don't see it changing the temperature by the 15-20C that iw ant.

System Name MONEY PIT
Mouse Rat7
but i should also say the just because you are able to unlock does not mean that the xtra 4 pipes you have are good pipes....some say that the PRO line was just made from XT and XTPE cores that didn't meet specs....
and the pipes wre disabled some times because the created heating probs

....any chance you can RMA it if you can't solve this problem?
this would solve heating prob for sure at least for the vid card

if you are going to check your thermal paste then make sure you have some to re apply....if you were getting that hot then the copper plate will most likely take most of the paste off when you remove it...or worse yet they have used thermal tape...

if you remove stock heat sink to reapply paste you will void your RMA

???

ATIonion

one time i simply just turned 1 single fan around to blow the other direction and to my surprise my card temp went down 11C.....

the best way and most common way to cool with fans is to pull air in from the front, side, and top...and exhaust it all out the back...a fan mounted on the side case panel is a big must...

just make sure that the air is moving threw the case and not around inside of it...

good to know that bad pipes can cause overheating...i wasnt sure..

as if none of us have ever changed coolers:laugh: ...not to mention how could they know if you looked....i'm not one for breaking something then doing a RMA...but if the maker didn't build the card the way it should be then it's still the makers problem...but you are right in saying reapplying paste they would notice...

System Name MONEY PIT
Mouse Rat7
Well i'm honestly thinking about selling this card anyways, and getting a new card. It's running at 51C idle right now @ 12 pipelines. How much of a difference do you think bad air circulation could account for? I'm about to completely rebuild my system with a new processor, mobo, and ram so i may just see if adding more fans and rearranging the way my case is setup will help, but i don't see it changing the temperature by the 15-20C that iw ant.

bad air circulation could account mabe 10 /15c...just try taking side off case
did you under clock the card to see if temps went down ...if they stay same[51c] at under clock then card prob has bad Quad and moving back to 12 pipes[3 quads] did not compleatly disable 4th quad= heat

System Name MONEY PIT
Mouse Rat7
i'm not one for breaking something then doing a RMA
ok
...but if the maker didn't build the card the way it should be then it's still the makers problem
untill you remove the heatsink then it's yours[it's in the fine print}

...but you are right in saying reapplying paste they would notice...

:D

szinda

I took my side panel off my case, and installed 2 spare case fans i had from a while back. Even with the additional air circulation it's still idle at 50C. Can it be concluded that this is some sort of issue for the manufacturer to fix?

ATIonion

if you remove the stock heatsink and reapply paste you will void your RMA

i just thought of this....the BIOS flash voided that already...:laugh:

I took my side panel off my case, and installed 2 spare case fans i had from a while back. Even with the additional air circulation it's still idle at 50C. Can it be concluded that this is some sort of issue for the manufacturer to fix?

i would say yes...

did you just buy this and can return it for another one? if so then return it for another...or depending on how much you have spent and what bus it is (agp pcie) you may consider a diff. card...

if you spent around $130 for it and it's pci-e then maybe going with a x1800gto or a 1900gt...but if you are running agp then stick with the x8xx line for that kind of money...

if you can't return it and it's under warranty, I'm not sure what they will do about it, because tech. nothing is wrong and they may say that those temps won't hurt it....imo higher temps could shorten the life of the card....

never the less i think something is not quit right with it and i would RMA if possible...:rockout:

szinda

i just thought of this....the BIOS flash voided that already...:laugh:

i would say yes...

did you just buy this and can return it for another one? if so then return it for another...or depending on how much you have spent and what bus it is (agp pcie) you may consider a diff. card...

if you spent around $130 for it and it's pci-e then maybe going with a x1800gto or a 1900gt...but if you are running agp then stick with the x8xx line for that kind of money...

if you can't return it and it's under warranty, I'm not sure what they will do about it, because tech. nothing is wrong and they may say that those temps won't hurt it....imo higher temps could shorten the life of the card....

never the less i think something is not quit right with it and i would RMA if possible...:rockout:

Yeh i already filed for an RMA, i guess i'll just sell it. What do you think a good price for this would be, considering it is unlockable? I haven't overclocked it at all, i've just underclocked it. I'm sure if you added a decent heatsink/fan to the GPU in place of the stock cooling the temperature would go way down. My new mobo has an AGP and pci-e slot as well, so i'd like to make the switch to PCI-E while i'm at it.

ALSO, when i first flashed my bios to 16 pipelines, i didn't save my original bios. So when i flashed back, i flashed back to the bios that was included in the 4 or 5 different bios options. I flashed back to the original 12 pipeline bios, is it possible that that one was running a higher voltage? Like 2.0 instead of 1.5? I noticed that under the original bios page for techpowerup there is a 1.5v and 2.0 version for this same card, is there anyway for me to see what voltage the card is running at with a program?

Last edited:

ATIonion

from what i have just read, the voltages cannot be changed from the bios on the x850 line...and i have no idea what would happen if you had a card with the 1.5samsung and use a bios made for the 2.0....

szinda

So pretty much the only option i have to fix the problem myself is take off the heatsink and apply new thermal paste right? Is this difficult? Does it just scew off then screw back on once i've applied it? Also, are there any major stores like comp usa that carry video card HSFs? I might just buy a whole new HSF for my video card.

Last edited:

szinda

Welll i bought a video card cooling fan that goes in the 2 pci slots below my AGP, my processor is now runniing at 32C idle....from 52-54, i'd say that's a pretty monstrous improvement! It's also very well worth noting that there was a SH*TLOAD of dust in my HSF. So after spraying that out, and installing this new cooler, i should be able to go back to 16 pipelines no problem! HooOo RAY! Thx for your help fellas

One more quick question, i have all my fans in my case facing inside except the ones on the back, should i make my side fans blow out of the case? Or should it blow into the case?

System Name MONEY PIT
Mouse Rat7
Welll i bought a video card cooling fan that goes in the 2 pci slots below my AGP, my processor is now runniing at 32C idle....from 52-54, i'd say that's a pretty monstrous improvement! It's also very well worth noting that there was a SH*TLOAD of dust in my HSF. So after spraying that out, and installing this new cooler, i should be able to go back to 16 pipelines no problem! HooOo RAY! Thx for your help fellas

One more quick question, i have all my fans in my case facing inside except the ones on the back, should i make my side fans blow out of the case? Or should it blow into the case?

:toast: congrats for sure go back to 16pipes.... leave the side fan blowing cold air into case.
enjoy your gaming F:) ;)