• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Here's an interesting take on this ...
A very interesting move by Google this morning, buying handset hardware maker Motorola for $12.5 billion.

But let's be real: This deal could end up being a disaster.

How?

Well, let's have a look at the host of questions and challenges the deal raises, starting with this one:

How do HTC and Samsung, two of the leading Android-based smartphone makers, think about the fact that their "partner" Google is now competing directly with them for hardware sales?

And we mean, how do they really feel, internally, not "what are they saying in public?" (The quotes Google has assembled from HTC, LG, et al, all appear to have been written by the same PR person--note the similarity in the language.)

The only reason Android (and Google) have any share of the mobile game, after all, is because hardware makers like HTC and Samsung adopted Google's software platform. And now Google is stabbing them in the back.

By now, it's probably too late for Samsung and HTC to switch to another platform, so they'll have to smile and make the best of it. But still... having your software "partner" suddenly fire a missile down your throat can't feel too good.

And if Google-owned Motorola starts to gain share in the hardware business, the feeling (and tension) will only get worse.

Second, is this an acknowledgment that, in smartphones, Apple's integrated hardware-software solution is superior to the PC model of a common software platform crossing all hardware providers?

It certainly appears to be.

Android's biggest weakness thus far has been its fragmentation: The combination of many different versions, plus many different customizations by different hardware providers, has rendered it a common platform in name only. To gain the full power of "ubiquity"--the strategy that Microsoft used to clobber Apple and everyone else in the PC era--Google needs to unify Android. And perhaps owning a hardware company is the only way to do that.

Third, how is Microsoft feeling? Is this a great deal for them...or confirmation that they're screwed?

So Google investors are smart to be worried.

Yes, there's a chance that Google could pull off a miracle here and transform the Motorola Mobility business into a direct competitor of Apple's--in which Google gets not only Android distribution, but super-fat iPhone-like profit margins to boot.

But doing that will be super-challenging. Motorola's current hardware team has displayed none of the magic that Apple's has. And the more Google tries to mimic that magic, the more Google's other Android partners will likely rebel against Google's competitive threat.

Far more likely, Google will just continue Motorola's mediocre also-ran status in the handset business, thus adding a big, crappy commodity hardware business to its glorious monopoly software business in search. And that won't make investors happy.

Bottom line, a bold move by Google. But one that raises a lot more questions and challenges than answers.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
yep, and with motorola google has bigger chance to boost android better than before
about samsung and the other i guess its like racing they have factory team and sattelite team
google has taken motorola as factory team the other would follow as satelite team

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
Google said Motorola should remain a separate entity. I really think they bought them to fight Apple in the patent war. Motorola has some very nice patents and i dont think this will effect HTC or Samsung in anyway. This might actually improve android for HTC and Samsung because of the patents google has now acquired.

Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard Asus B550 Gaming-F
Cooling Ek 240 Aio
Memory Gskill Trident Neo 4000 18-22-22-42 @3800 fclk 1900
Video Card(s) 2080ti
Storage 1 TB Nvme
Power Supply Seasonic 750w
Software Win 11
Seems like Motorola is looking to concentrate on it's industrial business.

Here's an interesting take on this ...
Quote:
A very interesting move by Google this morning.... big quote

while things could go that way it is probably more profitable for google to keep HTC, samsung, etc in the game. How much does google actually make off of each of these comapies handsets?
Ideally Google will be releasing a Handset ala the Nexus series and force the other companies to provide a certain standard for their products. eg. more frequent updates.. longer support for updates, minimum level of hardware specs etc. by providing a specific quality for their Motorola products.
Another big reason for this buy is lots of patents. now they have a better position to settle the patent litigations out of court.

Guys, remember that Motorola also produces set-top boxes for many Cable companies...do I see a Google TV link in there somewhere? ;) Also, if many of the other cellphone manufacturers object, Google *could* quietly shut down the hardware cellphone division of Motorola and keep the rest of the company humming along nicely. And they now have a HUGE patent war chest to defend themselves against any miserable company trying to sue them.

I love Google! :cool:

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
Maybe they'll start patent trolling Apple. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

System Name WAZAAM!
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming
Cooling Kraken x62
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC
Storage Micron 9200 Max
Display(s) Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz
Case Corsair 600D
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Bose Companion 2 Speakers
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
I really don't see this as google trying to compete with HTC and Samsung in the hardware space. The issue is about patents. Microsoft and Apple are starting to charge HTC and Samsung licensing fees on the patents they own.

Those fees start to make Android handsets more expensive than Windows or Apple devices. With Motorola's patent portfolio (which is obscenely huge) Google now has clout to keep MS and Apple from charging fees or they can do the same thing.

This should keep phone prices low because fewer license fee will be charged. (or prices skyrocket as they play one giant game of chicken).

It's not about hardware, though. It's about patents.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
This us about a business move, google sees a good oppertunity to purchase a well known vendor at a good price and moto needs cash. Google gets to keep their reputation untarnished with android by removing the biggest hurdle to free develpment out there, a software/hardware conglomeratr that has a woody for everything locked. I have beenwondering to myself for some time if the reason moto left so much locked is their security keys were not the same across multiple platforms, and unlocking one and getting access to the key would allow other moto peoducts to be unlocked, such as cable boxes.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
This us about a business move, google sees a good oppertunity to purchase a well known vendor at a good price and moto needs cash. Google gets to keep their reputation untarnished with android by removing the biggest hurdle to free develpment out there, a software/hardware conglomeratr that has a woody for everything locked. I have beenwondering to myself for some time if the reason moto left so much locked is their security keys were not the same across multiple platforms, and unlocking one and getting access to the key would allow other moto peoducts to be unlocked, such as cable boxes.

That's my take on it as well, this just means the possibilty for more feature rich phones and other media devices, Apple can't be happy about this.

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
i'd love to see an Atrix II with better laptop dock. I got an atrix and hooked it up to the dock at a bestbuy mobile store. It was nice to have a keyboard but i couldn't set the keys as controls for games. that and when using tegra games it was slow as hell for w/e reason on the larger screen. would probably run better if it switched to the game res rather than stretching it to fit the higher res of the monitor. some videos stored on my phone played rather slowly too. but for web browsing it was nice. if they made an Atrix II with one of the newer 1.5ghz quads and w/e nvidia comes out with as a sequel to tegra then it would probably be better on the dock thing... and firefox for the browser of an android laptop dock? really?

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I saw this, Motorola has been disillusioning customers with mobile devices and the "open" platform for awhile. They almost went under but their great Droid helped them through, but their not so great policies for the rest of the world, and many other devices showing their true shit brown souls helped them to have a non stop barrage of insults on their facebook Europe page, and on most of their forums.

Motofail is almost a household name for those of us that paid hundreds of dollars for "the phone without compromise" only to learn how the compromising was of our ass, they sold a locked phone that took months and months, to fix issues with a phone that was sold with no flash and other major issues.

Tis why I now own Samsung Galaxy II instead of another moto product.
Yeah, my Atrix is android, but is still locked. Pissed me off when I found out about it. Hopefully I'll get an official bootloader unlock out of this.