• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Calls Bluff on Gigabyte's PCIe Gen 3 Ready Claim

jfk1024

Gigabyte made that explanation AFTER the final requirements were known.
They retroactively applied this to all older boards, hoping no one would notice. (fool customers, they're really good at it)

Gigabyte probably DOES have an 22nm CPU sample AND PCI-e 3.0 testing cards at the time of the announcement, otherwise they wouldn't have the G1.Sniperv2.

Is it clear for you this way?

(and no, I don't know dazz!)

no, because Gigabyte made that affirmation before G1.Sniperv2 was released

Let's wait and see what happens :p. It's better to wait until bulldozer and sandy bridge-e are released and forget about future proof motherboards :confused:

Of course. Don't get me wrong, I have an Asus P8P67 Pro that will run at PCIe 2.0 speeds even with an Ivy Bridge CPU + Kepler GPU, and I couldn't care less. By the time I need more BW I'll get a new motherboard, and I'll have a lot better options to choose from by then, new chipsets, etc....

The thing is that many users in the market now for a new system will be making a decision based on PCIe 3.0 among other factors. To futureproof, in the hopes that it will help performance or whatever. GB's announcement may not have promised anything, but will surely lead many to mistakenly believe that they will be getting a fully PCIe 3.0 ready board when it's not true (unless they pick the G1 Sniper V2, that is)

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11

jfk1024

Of course. Don't get me wrong, I have an Asus P8P67 Pro that will run at PCIe 2.0 speeds even with an Ivy Bridge CPU + Kepler GPU, and I couldn't care less. By the time I need more BW I'll get a new motherboard, and I'll have a lot better options to choose from by then, new chipsets, etc....

The thing is that many users in the market now for a new system will be making a decision based on PCIe 3.0 among other factors. To futureproof, in the hopes that it will help performance or whatever. GB's announcement may not have promised anything, but will surely lead many to mistakenly believe that they will be getting a fully PCIe 3.0 ready board when it's not true (unless they pick the G1 Sniper V2, that is)

yes, you're right but it doesen't matter, you said it yourself : "By the time I need more BW I'll get a new motherboard, and I'll have a lot better options to choose from by then, new chipsets"

is this clear to you? Why sit here and bash GB when you all have yet to answer how you "developed" a tech http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151660, yet SPARKLE had it in February http://www.techpowerup.com/115132/S...-Cards-With-Dual-Layer-Fan-Blade-Cooling.html

Even if what you say rings any truth, MSI are hypocrites and your opinion is invalid!

Let me check the press release because no where do we say that Dust removal tech is an MSI only feature: http://event.msi.com/vga/msifantechnology/page3.html

It seems that your biggest gripe is the TPU headline because on the page about DRT we don't mention this "exclusiveness"

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
No you stole the idea! Why would the fan on the Sparkle go backwards at boot. just for giggles? So because they don't say dust removal that makes it right for MSI to lie and say they "developed" the tech versus the truth that you just stole it?

Why is it marketing 101 is fine when you use it, but not when GB tries. Why not worry about the old rep of burning GPU's and motherboards from crap parts and not have to attack another company to make MSI feel better about itself?

No you stole the idea! Why would the fan on the Sparkle go backwards at boot. just for giggles? So because they don't say dust removal that makes it right for MSI to lie and say they "developed" the tech versus the truth that you just stole it?

Calm down man, the "Develop" is ONLY in the TPU headline.
In the press release we don't say it's MSI's unique invention or our own development.

Chillax and have a beer or something, you don't have to defend your purchase with unfounded aquisations

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
So stealing ideas and making it seem innovative is proper marketing to MSI?

Why not say hey we saw this cool trick and we are on their nuts so we took it from them!

So stealing ideas and making it seem innovative is proper marketing to MSI?

Stealing or ...purchasing?

If you have no idea how this works it might be the wisest thing to not get all up in a bunch over this.

yes, you're right but it doesen't matter, you said it yourself : "By the time I need more BW I'll get a new motherboard, and I'll have a lot better options to choose from by then, new chipsets"

It doesn't matter to me, no. But the point is that it matters to some, and they won't like it when they realise what they bought is not what they thought they were buying

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Stealing or ...purchasing?

If you have no idea how this works it might be the wisest thing to not get all up in a bunch over this.

Yup you are so right about me not knowing anything about marketing or anything on the inner workings of the ways of PC marketing. Maybe you should learn who you are talking to before you make assumptions. Also nice way to blow over the fact of fires with your components and picking on GB to make yourselves look better. Why not just develop and design your own stuff and keep your nose out of other companies business, or is this marketing 101 too?

Who died and left MSI as Big Brother?

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Yup you are so right about me not knowing anything about marketing or anything on the inner workings of the ways of PC marketing. Maybe you should learn who you are talking too before you make assumptions.

You seemed ill informed and basing your whole tirade on a single word from one website that was not used by the original party.

Also nice way to blow over the fact of fires with your components and picking on GB to make yourselves look better. Why not just develop and design your own stuff and keep your nose out of other companies business, or is this marketing 101 too?

I think it's generally a decent thing to warn people when there's fraudulent behavior going on. But I'll let you be the judge of your own ethics :)

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11

At least when I broke my DFI boards I didn't get two RMAs that caught fire just like the original I RMA'd did, unlike MSI.

@ neilz, If you are all so honest, why doesn't the press release from the fan give credit to the true innovator, you are playing the marketing game with it to hit the people who don't know that you are offering something new, which you aren't. So who has the ethics issue? It sure isn't me!

@ neilz, If you are all so honest, why doesn't the press release from the fan give credit to the true innovator, you are playing the marketing game with it to hit the people who don't know that you are offering something new, which you aren't. So who has the ethics issue? It sure isn't me!

The true innovator is probably a third party (certainly not Sparkle) that has plenty of opportunity to bring out their own press release, really :)

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
The true innovator is probably a third party (certainly not Sparkle) that has plenty of opportunity to bring out their own press release, really :)

We can just do that? I invented the Sandforce 3000 controller. I will work on the Press Release since its first come first server.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
And yet you don't even mention buying the tech or who may need credit for the money you are trying to make. Your marketing is just as bad, and as I said way back in the beginning in both threads. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Yet you are still glossing over the fact you are attacking GB to make MSI look better by proxy.
No matter what you say, your ignoring the more important fact that in most buyers minds here, we saw DonInKansas burn 3 cards in a row, and due to MSI using low layer counts in motherboard PCBs allowing the 24-pin to melt (ColdStorm), we aren't buying your trash! At least I wont!

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
LOL, I love this board's moderation :p

Sorry for not being a sheep, maybe that's why I am a mod to begin with? hell I don't really care about my mod status. Point is here I need to bring a shovel for all this BS in this thread.

My UD4 box doesnt say shit about PCI-e 3.0 anywhere on the box, and I would have to be a retard to think shit magically appears with a bios update. Fact is since no one can actually test the bandwidth, this is all just BS on a technicality.

Sorry for not being a sheep, maybe that's why I am a mod to begin with? hell I don't really care about my mod status. Point is here I need to bring a shovel for all this BS in this thread.

Which you drove in with your Sparlke story? :p

(hug)

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Which you drove in with your Sparlke story? :p

(hug)

Again look in your data base, you aren't convincing me that a company that allows cards to go out that burn in a customers hows good business, yet you are here acting as if MSI is the champion and never did anything dirty!

Again look in your data base, you aren't convincing me that a company that allows cards to go out that burn in a customers hows good business, yet you are here acting as if MSI is the champion and never did anything dirty!

That issue has been resolved with AMD.

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65