• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Calls Bluff on Gigabyte's PCIe Gen 3 Ready Claim

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Um...let's just put this out there...personally, I think this whole discussion is unimportant, and should have waited for just before the launch of actual PCIe 3.0 devices and CPUs. Nobody can confirm either side of this tirade, regarding PCIe 3.0, unless they directly work for an OEM, and clearly someone other than an OEM needs to address this.

msi.jpg

Enjoy your weekends, boys.

May I go back on topic and ask if having a slot running at 3.0 and another one at 2.0 is effectively the same as having an extra 50% BW?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
May I go back on topic and ask if having a slot running at 3.0 and another one at 2.0 is effectively the same as having an extra 50% BW?

;)

It's called deceptive marketing, playing on words, and frankly, shouldn't occur. There's no need for such tactics to garner sales.

And Neliz, i do think you should approach W1zz for a MSI tag under your UID, since noone else seems to want to say it.

;)

It's called deceptive marketing, playing on words, and frankly, shouldn't occur. There's no need for such tactics to garner sales.

agreed, it's intentionaly misleading, but I'd still like to know if there's some sort of "partial" gain from running 1 slot at 3.0

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Neliz said:
It seems that your biggest gripe is the TPU headline because on the page about DRT we don't mention this "exclusiveness"

From Cadaveca's post above, I'd say you've been pretty much pwned.

I'm just a bystander though, so carry on.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
agreed, it's intentionaly misleading, but I'd still like to know if there's some sort of "partial" gain from running 1 slot at 3.0

Well, considering we don't have any idea as to when PCIe 3.0 devices will even come out, nevermind how they will utilize teh connection, there's no point in even discussing it, as I said a moment ago.

Beleive me, now that this has happened, I'll be paying close attention to things regarding this, as it does fall under the umbrella that is my reviews, and directly relates to my job here @ TPU. You can expect me to be taking a look at this in close detail once PCIe 3.0 devices are launched, and expect at least a thread, if not an article about it.

How many current Sparkle cards still carry this tech?

http://sparkletw.com/calibre/products/

:)

Also no other graphics card vendor in the world currently bundles those three technologies (Propeller blade, Temp Sensor and dust removal) in one fan.

You can still say it's exclusive tech, even without all those caveats. It's an exclusive technology, that includes just those three items, maybe not a tech exclusive to MSI. It's all up for interpretation, and seemingly, done intentionally so. This is the problem about that press release.

This is the problem about that press release.

As far as I'm aware Sparkle doesn't carry that product anymore nor any thermal design with the DRT so "exclusive" would still apply solely to DRT at this point in time as well.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
That doesn't even matter, considering the actual english definition of the word. Exclusive works just fine. It's in limited release, only with 580's, correct, so that's enough. It's exclsuive to that card, even within your own product lines, currently.

It's not important, or even on topic. I just wanted to be clear here, where it was that Sneeky was coming from. I really don't want any part of that discussion.

The PCIe 3.0 thing, as I've said before, I will deal with later, months from now. Please feel free to ensure that I receive products to be able to do so. ;) :laugh:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
That issue has been resolved with AMD.

Really because I was talking about Nvidia cards and a p55 mobo, glad AMD took care of that for ya:roll:

Really because I was talking about Nvidia cards and a p55 mobo, glad AMD took care of that for ya:roll:

Yeah I had no reference so I just went with what everyone seems to be complaining about :)

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
"you just got served"

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Also no other graphics card vendor in the world currently bundles those three technologies (Propeller blade, Temp Sensor and dust removal) in one fan.

I wasn't knocking you on the fact that there may be new technology incorporated into the design which no one else uses, I was knocking you on the fact that you said there was no "exclusiveness" included in the DRT promo, which appears on the same page as the "Exclusive" claim.

Whether that is deceptive is up to the person reading the promotional literature and how much research they have done on the product. Here at TPU we tend to read the fine print and take the stance of "Caveat Emptor".

No offense or denigration to any product intended.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
No offense or denigration to any product intended.

Exactly. Myself, I pride on being 100% impartial to anything but performance. I don't care what vendor brings it, as long as it's real, and can be had by many(ie, you cherry pick my samples, I WILL KNOW, and will say so).

MSI, ASRock, GIgabyte et al can duke this out, just be sure that I wll show the truth of the matter when time, and product releases, allow.

:toast:

P.S.

We do have a policy here @ TPU, on the forums.

Behavior that is inappropriate/should be reported:

Posting "FUD" (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt), especially if the poster is trying to pass it off as legitimate news.

I'm not saying that any of this IS FUD, but I am saying that we will seek the truth of any situation.

Last edited:
Interesting, i didn't know what FUD stood for LOL.

BTW we don't even know Ivy Bridge will have PCI-E 3.0......

I look forward to your article cadaveca

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
both MSI and gigabyte are poop so who really cares?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
both MSI and gigabyte are poop so who really cares?

Naaaah, I'd go with either one really. I've had awesome boards from both of them and I rarely pay attention to marketing anyway.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
and its return again: marketing words
how many consumers get get blinded by that?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i just got some more popcorn, not too often we get to see a company rep and a mod duke it out.

MSI fake affirmation about PCI-E 3.0 :banghead: . ASrock was first :slap:

MSI announced it's first Z68 Gen3 boards on (or about) June 1st on Computex.
ASRock announed that they were "first" on June 28th, at which time MSI was already shipping and selling :)

It would be really nice if you actually backed up your accusations with something :)

http://www.techpowerup.com/live/Computex_2011/MSI.php
http://pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/MSI-shows-Gen3-PCIe-X79-Motherboard-and-GTX-580-Extreme

jfk1024

MSI announced it's first Z68 Gen3 boards on (or about) June 1st on Computex.
ASRock announed that they were "first" on June 28th, at which time MSI was already shipping and selling :)

It would be really nice if you actually backed up your accusations with something :)

http://www.techpowerup.com/live/Computex_2011/MSI.php
http://pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/MSI-shows-Gen3-PCIe-X79-Motherboard-and-GTX-580-Extreme

ASRock reached the shelves first. So, they did it first. :nutkick:

ASRock reached the shelves first. So, they did it first. :nutkick:

Hmm, not really
http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/...ses-pci-express-30-supporting-z68-motherboard

Unfortunately, despite ASRock’s bragging about the Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3 going ‘on sale now’, we haven’t found it in stores.

At which time we were already selling. At its best, they could claim listing in pricewatches (pre-ordering) at that time.

You registered specifically for this subject (burn MSI?) but you haven't brought anything to the table yet. I don't mind discussing things but you keep digging and not striking gold.

jfk1024

Hmm, not really
http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/...ses-pci-express-30-supporting-z68-motherboard

At which time we were already selling. At its best, they could claim listing in pricewatches at the same time.

You registered specifically for this subject (burn MSI?) but you haven't brought anything to the table yet. I don't mind discussing things but you keep digging and not striking gold.

I was talking about ASrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, or you are going to say that is not a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard?