• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

x58 classified FF problem.

System Name Good enough
Processor I5 3570k
Motherboard ASrock Z68 Extreme 7
Cooling Megahalem
Memory 16G crucial sport BLS2KIT8G3D1339DS1S00
Video Card(s) 1080 ti strix
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III
Display(s) 3440 x 1440 microboard
Case Lian Li Knockoff ABS black pearl
Audio Device(s) HyperX 7.1
Power Supply Evga SuperNOVA 1600.
Mouse Corsair's newest pos mmo mouse
Keyboard Das with the blue switches.
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores Not really.
First, thanks to the board hosts and the helpful people on this forum. This site has been great to me over the years.

I did buy this board here and it's used with a 920 chip it's the evga 759 classy model. Most specs in sys specs on the right are accurate. I've got access to the corsair 6x1 and the budget avenix 3x2 ram.

Ok, if you google FF error there are plenty of hits for this board. I just thought I'd hit the pro's here up.

So far the led readout simply reads ff. Cpu fans, gpu fans spinning. No signal to monitor. I've tried different ram, I've connected and disconnected the 24 pin, the 8 pin and video card connectors multiple times.

I've tried both of the 8 pin slots for motherboard power, the manual says either one will work and two are not required.

I've attempted to boot with one stick of ram in multiple slots, then 3 gig in multiple slots.

I've run a check on the psu with a tester, it's within working parameters.

Next step is to pull the motherboard and re-seat the chip and check for bent pins.

Anyone else got an idea on a troubleshooting steps or tips to recommend?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
FF on my board means it is done with POST which should rule out RAM/CPU/motherboard. Have you tried a different GPU and perhaps a GPU in a different PCI Express slot?

System Name Good enough
Processor I5 3570k
Cooling Megahalem
Software win 10
FF on my board means it is done with POST which should rule out RAM/CPU/motherboard. Have you tried a different GPU?

I've got two 5850 toxics I first attempted to boot with both, then took one out. I'll pop the other one in, good idea as one of em is one I've never tested.

Just saw the different pcie slot comment, will try that too.

Different slots, cards, no workie. Trying some connectors.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I don't see it listed but have you tried clearing the CMOS?

When you turn it on, do the numbers change at all or does it just show FF right from the beginning and doesn't change?

X58 Classified Manual

If it never changes, I would lean towards the motherboard being bad.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you try the "re-seating the bios fix"?
Info found at evga forums; here and here.

Pics they posted:

Edit:

A lot of times with chips mounted like this, all you need to do is put your finger on top of it and apply slight presuure to seat it into the holder. They do and can work themselves out/loose over time, with the shake up during shipment from here and there; and, expansion/contraction during use. I have had it happen on other devices mounted in this fashion.

A word of warning if you are static prone.
Safety tip: Turn off power and un-plug your system before touching the components!
Use a wrist strap to ground yourself, touch the case, or some other grounded item to discharge yourself first.

Last edited:

chuchnit

Clear cmos and check all the jumpers (CB and strap). Make sure there arent set wrong or the plastic pieces are still there. That bios chip was never loose before noe did it cause problems. However if you didnt clear the cmos before putting different ram in, the board can act stupid. It always did when switching kits. Hit me up via pm if you continue to have problems.

System Name Good enough
Processor I5 3570k
Cooling Megahalem
Software win 10
I don't see it listed but have you tried clearing the CMOS?

When you turn it on, do the numbers change at all or does it just show FF right from the beginning and doesn't change?

Yeah, there's on onboard clear cmos. Tried that multiple times. Last night pulled the battery and put it back in today to no avail. It does show ff from the beginning, doesn't cycle through the other codes before hitting ff.

Did you try the "re-seating the bios fix"?
Info found at evga forums; here and here.

No thanks for those links. Maybe some clarification. Does that bios chip come out? don't want to yank on it otherwise, I did push down on it and rebooted, nothing...

I pulled the motherboard and turned the board on with only the 8 pin and the 24 pin connected, still auto ff.

Clear cmos and check all the jumpers (CB and strap).

CB & Strap? Not sure what that means. I know when my p6t6ws revolution died and it came back from rma there was a jumper preventing it from starting, not sure what ones if any on this motherboard might do the same thing.

I got off my butt and pulled the motherboard out and 3 pins did seem a bit out of place, a slight nudge with the tip of a knife set them back in place. I'm hoping that was the problem. Will post back here if it fixes it.

I've got one more thing I can try, older video card with the blue connector to monitor (forgot what that's called) and an old 15" monitor with the same connector. Will try that connection if it still fails. If I can get to post I should be able to install the motherboard drivers and hopefully if that's the problem it'll fix it not liking the hdmi connection.

Thanks for the feedback.

chuchnit

CB & Strap? Not sure what that means. I know when my p6t6ws revolution died and it came back from rma there was a jumper preventing it from starting, not sure what ones if any on this motherboard might do the same thing.

I got off my butt and pulled the motherboard out and 3 pins did seem a bit out of place, a slight nudge with the tip of a knife set them back in place. I'm hoping that was the problem. Will post back here if it fixes it.

I've got one more thing I can try, older video card with the blue connector to monitor (forgot what that's called) and an old 15" monitor with the same connector. Will try that connection if it still fails. If I can get to post I should be able to install the motherboard drivers and hopefully if that's the problem it'll fix it not liking the hdmi connection.

Thanks for the feedback.

The "CB" jumper is at the end of the dimm slots towards the pcie slots. I can't remember the technical name but it was for cold bugs. The memory strap jumper is on the other end of the dimm slots by dimm slot 1. Please let me know if it is working now after fiddling with the pins.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
I've got one more thing I can try, older video card with the blue connector to monitor (forgot what that's called) and an old 15" monitor with the same connector.
VGA, specifically D-Sub 15

chuchnit

Oh yeah. The pcie slot that you are trying may be disabled. Make sure the jumpers are enabled too. I may have disabled a couple.