• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Calls Bluff on Gigabyte's PCIe Gen 3 Ready Claim

I was talking about ASrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, or you are going to say that is not a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard?

Which was "launched" (not on sale!) at what, July 13/14/15? this is not only a month and a half after MSI's announcements but also a good two weeks after ASRock's first Gen3 board the Z68 Fatal1ty Pro Gen3.

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/...ease-four-more-lga-1155-boards-pci-express-30
The prices and availability of the new Gen3 models have not been mentioned yet.

Again, I don't mind discussing this at all but you don't bring any facts to the table. Since you registered here and desperately wanted to make a point (Anti-MSI) I hope we can have a fruitful discussion based on facts.

Please?

jfk1024

Which was "launched" at what, July 13/14/15? this is not only a month and a half after MSI's announcements but also a good two weeks after ASRock's first Gen3 board the Z68 Fatal1ty Pro Gen3.

http://www.tcmagazine.com/tcm/news/...ease-four-more-lga-1155-boards-pci-express-30

Again, I don't mind discussing this at all but you don't bring any facts to the table. Since you registered here and desperately wanted to make a point (Anti-MSI) I hope we can have a fruitful discussion based on facts.

Please?

I said that ASrock PCI-E 3.0 motherboards hit the shelves before MSI

I said that ASrock PCI-E 3.0 motherboards hit the shelves before MSI

Maybe in some local stores in Romania (allocation?) but this is not a worldwide trend, especially not for a "later" product like the Extreme3.

Again, please, facts etc. are nice since they supporting a point in a discussion.

jfk1024

I don't care about launch date, marketing and other stuff. Important is that we could buy it first from ASrock :p.

I don't care about launch date, marketing and other stuff. Important is that we could buy it first from ASrock :p.

And that's the point, you're looking at your own circumstance and automatically assume it's "we."

I'm pretty sure that if you tried ordering it somewhere in Europe you'd had the ability. Or does the fact that I had my hands on Gen3 boards before that also count as "being able to buy it?"

Oh and you didn't buy it from ASRock, you buy it from a store at which point the store decides which product you can buy ;)

jfk1024

You remember this? This was the first thing TPU posted about a PCI-E 3.0 SW and PCI-e 3.0 motherboard

cadaveca

My name is Dave
OK guys, arguments between reps from different companies? Are you guys serious?

Like, no offense, but WTF are you doing here?

OF course, I am assuming jfk1024 is AsRock rep, and he's not here to give me motherboards for review. It's hard to beleive this discussion can happen any other way.

Interesting.

OH. Wait a minute. I understand why AsRock won't send me boards now, too. We already have some members with one :laugh:

jfk1024

OK guys, arguments between reps from different companies? Are you guys serious?

Like, no offense, but WTF are you doing here?

OF course, I am assuming jfk1024 is AsRock rep, and he's not here to give me motherboards for review. It's hard to beleive this discussion can happen any other way.

Interesting.

OH. Wait a minute. I understand why AsRock won't send me boards now, too. We already have some members with one :laugh:

I am not an ASRock rep. I think ASUS motherboards are the best. So i'm going to wait until ASUS releases a X79 motherboard.

jfk1024

I think that if we put a ivy bridge processor and a PCI-E 3.0 GPU on intel 1155 motherboard without a PCI-E SW the link between the CPU and the GPU will have a max BW of 32GB/s.

I think that if we put a ivy bridge processor and a PCI-E 3.0 GPU on intel 1155 motherboard without a PCI-E SW the link between the CPU and the GPU will have a max BW of 32GB/s.

And I know that it's not as simple as that since your board will require a redesign for new components:

There's more than this but since there's also things like NDA's there are plenty more reasons for it to not work :)

2 more points, there is an edit button so you don't have to triple post all the time, you can place everything conveniently in one.

And as for your discussion on dates, I gladly point you to media.msi.com since you seem to be good in googling asrock/gigabyte and not MSI :)
Slide number 8: http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=67153 2 weeks before Gigabytes announcement.

MSI at that time didn't attack other vendors because those vendors were not pretending to do Gen3, That changed after gigabytes press release, okay? It's not fun to have to point out cheating and it requires a lot of manpower on research verifying claims one way or the other.

And this is the end of my response to your unfounded (and frankly very tiresome) accusations, since you haven't got one thing right yet and you don't seem to want to discuss anything.

Last edited:

jfk1024

And I know that it's not as simple as that since your board will require a redesign for new components:
http://www.techpowerup.com/img/11-09-07/41c.jpg
There's more than this but since there's also things like NDA's there are plenty more reasons for it to not work :)

2 more points, there is an edit button so you don't have to triple post all the time, you can place everything conveniently in one.

And as for your discussion on dates, I gladly point you to media.msi.com since you seem to be good in googling asrock/gigabyte and not MSI :)
Slide number 8: http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=67153 2 weeks before Gigabytes announcement.

MSI at that time didn't attack other vendors because those vendors were not pretending to do Gen3, That changed after gigabytes press release, okay? It's not fun to have to point out cheating and it requires a lot of manpower on research verifying claims one way or the other.

And this is the end of my response to your unfounded (and frankly very tiresome) accusations, since you haven't got one thing right yet and you don't seem to want to discuss anything.

I got it, but... anyway we will see

Last edited:

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Meh, Gigabyte and MSI are still very solid manufactures.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11

And at what point are you going to explain where being an industry narc became marketing? No one likes a rat neilz!

To be point blank, I don't remember seeing a personal invite for you to come here and try to explain why going after someone else was a good idea. If you don't have thick skin you don't belong at TPU anyways.

You know for a company rep you are very condescending to my members when you are the one who dropped in here on your own to try to be the hero! When you want to play both sides of the question and answer that is fine, but the immature way that you are picking and choosing what to answer, and if this is tiresome, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
And at what point are you going to explain where being an industry narc became marketing? No one likes a rat neilz!

Ok, Mr Tweaktown case and cooler reviewer. You're just as much a narc as he is, not identifying yourself fully. ;)

Pot and kettle, you know.

Maybe you should learn who you are talking to before you make assumptions.

I cannot beleive two days later, and you guys are still arguing over this.

my members

How about OUR, you are not the website alone.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I am not a narc, and my position as a reviewer is irrelevant to this. Unless MSI is making cases and coolers now. :p

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
not any worth my time!

Also I just looked to verify...where exactly do I look for your coolers and cases? Or you do mean the Wind plastic boxes are your case lineup? Coolers, you mean the ones that come on your cards and are not aftermarket?

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Oh wait... MSI DOES make coolers *zing*! :)

What kind of coolers? CPU, GPU, beer, food, portable, liquid based, air based, nitrogen, industrial, commercial, consumer, and/or good ones?

What kind of coolers? CPU, GPU, beer, food, portable, liquid based, air based, nitrogen, industrial, commercial, consumer, and/or good ones?

We actually started selling the Twin Frozr II seperately though we actually have decent beer and watercoolers too at the office.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
We actually started selling the Twin Frozr II seperately though we actually have decent beer and watercoolers too at the office.

I knew the first part and the latter two are not made by MSI.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
In Japan...Thanks that does us a lot of good, and at that $73 and its cooler only! What????

You mean you are saying you sell coolers for aftermarket? To me if you sell an aftermarket cooler you need to cover the Phase and everything, not just sell off overstocked "coolers". Again if you knew terminology, maybe we wouldn't be here discussing irrelevant points now;)

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator

Need any network/system admins or IT managers? I've been doing it for almost 30 years. :D

I knew the first part and the latter two are not made by MSI.

NO, but Technical guys can do fun things with Airco radiators and a gazillion 120mm fans :)

I bought plenty of aftermarket VGA coolers that didn't include heatsinks for VRM or VRAM and I think world+dog still considered them exactly the same thing.

Though it's nice to see everyone including mods go way out of their line to personally harass based on interpretation and semantics:)

Need any network/system admins or IT managers? I've been doing it for almost 30 years. :D
Open job applications are always welcome :)

Last edited: