• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Now, S3 Graphics Slaps Apple with Two Patent Infringement Charges

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Motherboard Asrock b550m riptide pd
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.Skill RGB DDR4 @ 3200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK319 RX 7800 XT 16gb
Storage 1x Hynix P31 1tb (os) 1x 4tb SP UD90
Display(s) 1x Acer Predator X34, 2x 13.3 mobile USBC wings
Case Jonsbo D31 mesh
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Corsair SF750w
Software Windows 11
According to your logic, MS Windows, Ubuntu and other Linux distros, ULV laptops, all shouldn't have been allowed to be made. After all, they were Macintosh/ Mac OS /Macbook Air ripoffs >.> Or were meant to compete against it in the market. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying those other products should not have been allowed to be made. But those products are all largely evolutions of a base. It's one thing to see demand for something and build a competing product, free or otherwise. But come on, look at stuff like this and say Samsung hasn't taken a very close look at what Apple's approach to design has to offer. Or look at the charging/sync cable used with the Galaxy Tab. Samsung had all the information on the iphone before anyone else, they co designed and built the chips going into them. They had all the specs and designs. I don't believe for a second that they didn't take those to their design department. Samsung has NEVER had a problem breaking the law or operating in shady areas to get what they want, and when you do that you don't get the benefit of the doubt in my books. Are you at least able to see the similarity in those officially bundled accessories?

Come on? What? who only ever manage to make 2 products???? What about HTC? They made this smartphone market in the first place, and you are forgetting WMs... thats the beginning of it all. Nobody really cares about RIM, what it was and what it will be. Mimicking OS? Come on every linux shares same fundamental features? Isn't it normal? Nobody argues because it is free eh? :wtf:
If you are starting to play high, you must be ready to pay. Apple forgot that it has nothing. Samsung does it all, they have bitten their own hand that feeds themselves with technology.
Patent system broken? What? The simple rule is, you have to share. And justice must be set -It eye for an eye... Otherwise everyone will start accusing anyone. Now the old makers teamed up, and will teach some manners. They have the masterminds and dev teams, next gen and new system, bus, technologies to shut up that apple and their patents? Isn't it quite logical?
Android is a developing platform...just as Nokia Maemo (starting from year 2005) that is more linux oriented and more even fun for dev people. Everyone had made efforts to develop its own kind of sandbox. Yes it is unpopular, but so what? It is a choice. Not to be jailed in file system.
The fact that we have limited amount of senses and only ten fingers on both hands, and two eyes defines that some features are same for every device and OS, therefor stop accusing makers that they are copying or something. It is just a natural evolution...

My point may not have been clear, for that I am sorry. But what I was trying to say was that Samsung products typically fall into one of those 2 categories. They either innovate very well and fall short or they produce something almost identical to their competitors. I remember playing with an epic samsung phone back in the early 00's that was a flip phone with a touch screen, powerful processing, lots of great built in apps and all that good stuff, something not at all like the competition at the time...but it had fatal flaws like huge idle draw that left the battery dead after about 2 days, even if you left in sleep mode. It basically had to live on a charger. Was basically designed as a cellphone with a PDA on board. It was very innovative, something that nobody else had gotten quite right before. But it was so badly thought out that it was unusable.

Then you look at things like their successful knock offs... The Samsung Blackjack was identical to the Motorola Q, the Sync was almost identical to the RAZR, the Galaxy S and S II have the exact same prominent design features of the Iphone 3G.

I agree that we only have so many ways to interact with a phone, but it is just stupid to say apple is nothing but a troll who stifles innovation when you know fine well that the smartphone revolution started with the launch of the iphone. Many ingredients were already there but it was apple who made the recipe work, and made it a success.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
I'm not saying those other products should not have been allowed to be made. But those products are all largely evolutions of a base. It's one thing to see demand for something and build a competing product, free or otherwise. But come on, look at stuff like this and say Samsung hasn't taken a very close look at what Apple's approach to design has to offer. Or look at the charging/sync cable used with the Galaxy Tab. Samsung had all the information on the iphone before anyone else, they co designed and built the chips going into them. They had all the specs and designs. I don't believe for a second that they didn't take those to their design department. Samsung has NEVER had a problem breaking the law or operating in shady areas to get what they want, and when you do that you don't get the benefit of the doubt in my books. Are you at least able to see the similarity in those officially bundled accessories?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but the looking at the images you've posted, these converters don't even come close to being similar. Although the general shape is somewhat close, the dimensions, colour, exterior layout isn't. And the Power pins/USB jack designs are standards. I'm not getting what or where you're getting with that cable though. But still, look at the data cables the old Nokias (early n70, n80 and n90 series) and the Sony Ericssons had. They looked the same, still you didn't hear anyone complaining.
We all know Samsung made the chips used in most Apple products. But that doesn't automatically make their products "rip-offs". I haven't heard of Samsung operating in shady areas. If you have any infos or links, do share.

But hey. wait! If we're thinking like this. How about LG suing Apple for the total rip off of LG Prada by the Apple iPhone? Started the smartphone revolution? How? By totally copying the LG Prada and making it simpler for dummies? They practically just took 2 buttons off and expanded the software:

Or how about HP goes after Apple for producing a tablet with a "minimal shape" like they are doing against Samsung? How about this tablet, that was made before the word iPad even existed:

So yeah, there are a lot of companies that could sue Apple but they choose not to. It's Apple who is slowly becoming insane here and is suing everybody. Of course they will fight back!

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider

My point may not have been clear, for that I am sorry. But what I was trying to say was that Samsung products typically fall into one of those 2 categories. They either innovate very well and fall short or they produce something almost identical to their competitors. I remember playing with an epic samsung phone back in the early 00's that was a flip phone with a touch screen, powerful processing, lots of great built in apps and all that good stuff, something not at all like the competition at the time...but it had fatal flaws like huge idle draw that left the battery dead after about 2 days, even if you left in sleep mode. It basically had to live on a charger. Was basically designed as a cellphone with a PDA on board. It was very innovative, something that nobody else had gotten quite right before. But it was so badly thought out that it was unusable.

Then you look at things like their successful knock offs... The Samsung Blackjack was identical to the Motorola Q, the Sync was almost identical to the RAZR, the Galaxy S and S II have the exact same prominent design features of the Iphone 3G.

I agree that we only have so many ways to interact with a phone, but it is just stupid to say apple is nothing but a troll who stifles innovation when you know fine well that the smartphone revolution started with the launch of the iphone. Many ingredients were already there but it was apple who made the recipe work, and made it a success.

It seems you didn't get the point... my car has 4 wheels and and a round steering wheel... gosh how could they steal that from me... ?

I am sorry for your bad experience with Samsung, although you haven't then experienced the worst things then. How many platforms have you owned? I can say proudly had most of them all(except Japanese gems and China "exclusives"), because of my work and profession. From old, DCT-2(MAD2) nokia, true ericssons, alcatels, sharps etc etc And I understand them most at schematic level... and if say that phone is crap I can argument it without religious/obscure arguments, just a judgment as an electronics engineer.
You forgot that there were always smartphone series. Nokia had communicator series 9110 etc y1999 (it had AMD486 inside, so x86 phone is nothing new :D, Ericsson had P800+ series (gosh y2002), not mentioning the HTC XDA phone, that ignited it all!! You forgot to mention them again HTC, I'll support them although I've never used one longer than few days messing around with custom OS and repairing them.
You say that the fact that Apple made them sell a lot, gives them kind of right to shit on others? From your point of view - you say Apple did it all? So may it be then... I'll reside still on the true history. They did nothing on the mobile scene. Did you read the news about Iphone 5 delay, because of LCD/touch module problems? It is only the start, they will loose access to quality fabs, and solutions and patches for current tech that they didn't create.
There is plenty of room for every one in the market, as we see there are makers that still create things with four wheels and and a round steering wheel, without suing each other...
So you say also, if a maker makes a phone that can only make call and text sms or for the poor ones it also a fault and lame thing. That they have an offer for every wallet size?
You talk again about copying again... we all remember 7370 nokia, but gosh... SEMC W550 had the same rotary hinge??? How could they? Everyone does like that everywhere, it is called evolution.
There are loyal people like you or me who are lazy to accept new challenging things sometimes. Like new OS, controlls etc. So why not to offer as there is plenty of room in the market? And it will bring down the damn price also?? Lets play dirty and kill the competition then eh? How sane.

I have to add... I liked the old Apple from PowerPC era, they were doing fine job, and still is a default productivity solution for artists and designers...(windows color management is pain still), but now? It is a mere replica of an PC also made at Foxconn? I'll better buy a Eurocom Panther, not some overpriced for nothing fashion toy.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

I own a GSII, and compared to a apple product, its much better. It doesn't have Ios on it, or Itunes, or I anything. I does have my stuff on it.

It may look the same, but at a distance so did my milestone, when holding it up to your ear. Apple doesn't have a problem that it is touchscreen, or that it has icons like every other device, they don't care that it has a actual button in the middle. Apple doesn't like it since it offers users a choice, a choice for better performance, and more options, a choice not to be limited. And users are jumping at it.

System Name Coming up in september
Apple opened Pandoras box, now they can deal with it, they deserve every single thing coming their way just for such massive patent abusal...

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
The problem is simple: if you don't make claim against the property rights YOU HOLD, then someone else can claim them buried in another patent, and you can risk losing your rights. It's the same with copyright law. You need to actively enforce your property rights, or you will lose them. And given Apple's track record, if you dont defend YOUR patents, Apple will bury similar concept into THEIR patents and then sue YOU for using THEIR patents!

How much is VIA and S3 really going after Apple (to make money) or basically stating their claim on prior property rights and at the same time using the same established method of Apple which is: my rights, acknowledge, or cease trading your products.

I am not in favour of the current state of the patent system... but at the same time we DO need a patent system. And the winners are? The lawyers. It's a racket.

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but it apparently doesn't do much to fend off lawyers.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
the point is:

wanna make money fast?

take a few patent ,put them in a mixer , take out the iphone and sell it.

and keep your mouth shout about this

shit forget to pay the guy who press the mixer switch.. now he's calling all the patent owner.. i'm busted so better run and fire myself

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Processor Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Motherboard Asrock b550m riptide pd
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.Skill RGB DDR4 @ 3200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK319 RX 7800 XT 16gb
Storage 1x Hynix P31 1tb (os) 1x 4tb SP UD90
Display(s) 1x Acer Predator X34, 2x 13.3 mobile USBC wings
Case Jonsbo D31 mesh
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Corsair SF750w
Software Windows 11
please don't excuse me as some loyal fanboy, my views are like everyone else's - based in fact, opinion, research, and experience. Like you say, a car is "just 4 wheels and a round steering wheel" but what makes one different from another is design, materials, and the passion and work that goes into each.

Just because people don't like apple for what ever reason doesn't mean they cant defend themselves when they feel their patents and products are being threatened. I can't help but wonder if people would be this far against Google if they were in the same position. Or if any other company was the apple of today.

All these other devices that people list predate the "smartphone revolution" are all legitimate points to argue. I acknowledge they existed first, we can all see some direct and indirect links between old models of other devices. But it's just a failure to acknowledge history to say apple didn't get the recipe close enough to drive everyone crazy. Before the iphone phones were not headed on the path we are on today, we were headed towards PDA and blackberry type devices. There were virtually no independent developers selling their own software, there was no enormous public demand for them. I'm not denying that you could run doom on an arm based phone before apple launched their device.

If google launched and maintained android without the app store then would any one of you still use it? If you were limited to a dozen preinstalled programs and there were no developers making new ones readily available? That is probably apple's biggest contribution, they made a market for 50mb apps and showed the world that independent developers as well as massive publishing houses can make millions off of them. The process of getting programs working on those "pre revolution" devices was a pain in the ass and we basically had to either wait until an official port came along or we waited till smart hackers released an image.

I don't have to be an apple fan to understand they made a market and a demand for the very things that made a smartphone a success. I know you guys have made very valid arguments, but doesn't it bother you when all you read around the internet is a denial of success and innovation from a company simply because it's a popular company to hate?

They have a right to protect their property as much as any of us. I think it's clear they have a reason to go to court and argue their side of things, if a judge agrees with them or not is a different matter. But to say you want the biggest name in the industry to fail and hundreds of thousands of people to lose their jobs just because you don't like something is just so...wrong...

Also I don't hold the opinion that the android os is inferior to ios. It is a different approach to the same concept. As much as I like to tweak, it is not my solution. I like the closed apple environment, I like knowing that any app i download is going to run fine, and not have to wonder if my phone is running a different resolution, or aspect ratio, or cpu, or gpu, or is missing some other feature the developer's phone had that mine didnt. Or vice versa, I don't want to buy a premium phone and realize there is no apps that utilize my new features I paid extra to have. Some people like apple's approach and it is just prejudice to say they are stupid because of it. Some people like google's approach and it is just prejudice to say they are stupid because of it. How many people here buy an ATI card over an Nvidia card because they prefer the image quality, or the driver stability, or the overclockability, or the cooling design, or what ever. I just cant stand the hate and bigotry that comes out of people sometimes.

But on another note, don't think google is innocent in all of this. They are the ones who benefit in the end, and now that their OS is arguably the market leader, and they now own a handset maker...having a giant patent war isn't going to bother them. Samsung however, is looking more towards their own BADA os (shipped about 4.5 million bada phones in Q2 2011), HTC already has plans to develop a proprietary os. And there is a number of rumors about who could buy up HP's webos as their mobile platform of choice. I wouldn't be surprised if google failed to back any of their "loyal" fanbase at this point. If all other android phones were suddenly banned and you could only buy the official google one made by their in house handset maker, will google shed a tear? :p

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
All we need now is a Sue Apple App.

Bill "I wanna sue Apple for patent infringement"

Bob "There's an app for that"

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
god apple is just getting ripped now!

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
Hope they win.

But this does explain why apple stuff is so overpriced, someone has to pay for their legal team.:D