• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MySpace will offer spyware for parents

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
Due to unrelenting pressure from the press, angry parents, and politicians, MySpace is releasing software that will monitor a MySpace user's activities on MySpace. The software, codenamed 'Zephyr', does look a lot like spyware, but will only report MySpace activities to parents, not unlike AOL's Parental Controls. The software would allow parents to see what name, age, and location their children are using on MySpace. 'Zephyr' would run even if the user logged in from a different location, and does not record highly private/sensitive information such as MySpace comments and email. The main reason MySpace is doing this is because a massive amount of USA senators (33) are threatening to take legal action against MySpace if it does not do something to verify the age of it's users. Other popular social networking sites, such as Facebook and Xanga, will not allow anything like 'Zephyr' on their sites, as it is a direct violation of their Terms of Service.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

bornfree

Since when did proper parenting become SPYING?

For the clueless, the responsibilities of proper parenting involves supervising the growth of your children and their behavior. If we had better parenting we would have a lot less crime in this world, less people on welfare, fewer environmental issues and a much better world to live in. Instead we have parents who use the TV or PC as a baby sitter for their kids instead of proper supervision. As a result these impressionable kids learn all kids of bad things to do like drugs, alcohol, sex, crime, etc. Proper parental supervision guides children past these pitfalls of life and molds them into productive, useful citizens instead of Pirates, sex offenders, drug dealers, etc.

Denial doesn't change reality. MySpace and uTube along with many degenerate TV and radio programs contribute to the delinquency of minors who turn into adult garbage in many cases as criminal records substantiate. There is no better time to save a child than when they are so naive and gullible to the online, cable and TV scum that exists today. Ignoring these detrimental online sources increases the ever escalating problems of kids adapting to reality.

Bob The Fish

System Name Neo2
Processor Intel Core i7 CPU 920
Motherboard ASUS X58 Sabertooth
Cooling Water cooled
Memory HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) x 3
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon HD 5850 1024m x2
Storage 1x 60g Corsair CSSD-F60GB2, 1 x 1000g WD Black 2x 500g SATA2, 1x 320g SATA2
Display(s) x3 HP 2210ms
Case Thermaltake Armor VA800BWS
Audio Device(s) PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series on Z-5000 Digtal speakers
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
I live in Edmonton were the servers are hosted and with all the power and bandwith they use its not hard to tell how big MySpace is. With sue happy americans and parents wiiling to blame a website for there lack of parenting skills and there lack of controll over there children. As with everything else thease days. People just need something else to blame, case and point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b1cyNigny8. I am glad my Mother was smart enuf to learn about the internet and what it can do. I started on the internet when i was 11, my mom realiseing that this needed to be montaired and contorled did what parents should do and because of that my 2 younger brothers and myself were raised to use the net responablely. Its not hard, but parents use the internet and vid games as babysiters so they dont have to take care of there children and then blame the babysiter for whats rong with there kids.

My question is:
Who bought the computer that the child used to surf Myspace?
Who payes for the internet that is used to surf Myspace?
What about the Power?

I wounder if the Judge that will reside over this case will think about these questions...

D

Deleted member 24505

i totaly agree with you russianboy.and full of pedo's.

bdguido

Processor AMD 965 BE
Motherboard ASUS M4N82
Memory 4 GB OCZ
Video Card(s) 2* 8800 GTS(g92) SLI
Storage WD 320
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply OCZ 700W
Software Vista
It should be renamed to "mywasteoftime"

System Name The Darkside
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4
Cooling OEM
Memory 16gb G.Skill Fortis
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 1070
Storage 500gb Mushkin Pilot NVMe
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4k UHD
Case Corsair iCue 465X RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Reltek
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Software Windows 10
the only reason I use Myspace is so I can keep in touch with my friends from high school, college and where I used to live. Plus I found 3 of my cousins I havent seen in 10+ years! so its not ALL bad. All my friends on myspace I know in person, I dont just add ppl to see how many friends I can get. Use it with caution and ur fine. and Im no pedophile either:wtf:

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
My parents never did either, but I was raised by good parents who made sure I didnt get into trouble. I have 5 brothers and 3 sisters, so there is 9 of us all together. some of my family, as they got older and moved out, made their own decisions, as far as drugs, smoking, crime and stuff like that. Some had it rough, my father married 3 times all together. One of my brothers, who OD'd, did so, in part, because he wasnt my fathers son, and my fathers first wife, abandoned him (so my mom raised him, went to court over him, and shit like that). You cant monitor your kids 24/7, not like you want. You do your best and hope that how you parent, treat and discipline them will stay with them, when you are not around. I agree that alot of parents have been using the TV and games to watch their kidS (as in, they are home, but rather not be bothered). But its not all that. People make their own decisions. No matter how good a parent you are, it ultimately comes down to the kid. My niece has completely did a 180. She went to the Kingdom Hall, out in service, preached and stuff. Got into high school. Made some different friends. she couldnt do what they did, so now, shes rebelling. She had a great upbringing, limited from doing alot of stuff that would get her in trouble and down the wrong path. In the end, it came to her to make her decision. Now its one she has to live with. You cant blame the parents for wanting stricter control. And you cant blame alot of us for saying, that some parents, had an alternate method of parenting.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
the only reason I use Myspace is so I can keep in touch with my friends from high school, college and where I used to live. Plus I found 3 of my cousins I havent seen in 10+ years! so its not ALL bad. All my friends on myspace I know in person, I dont just add ppl to see how many friends I can get. Use it with caution and ur fine. and Im no pedophile either:wtf:
I agree. The only thing I use it for is keeping in contact with friends and family. I don't add anybody that I don't know in person (Well, except for Dethclock and "Gill the Crab". lol)