• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Emerges Victorious Against Psystar, But Have They Really Triumphed? (UPDATED)

Is Mac for you?

• I'm happy with Windows

Votes: 67 91.8%
  • Apple has great notebooks

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I want a Mac but I'm poor

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I'm a Mac user

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
In a court ruling on Wednesday 28th September 2011, Apple's assertion that any kind of 'Hackintosh' was, is and always will be, illegal, was conclusively affirmed. This will bring great dismay to Psystar customers, potential purchasers of other "alternative Macs" and the many PC enthusiasts who want to run the latest Apple OS on the high-spec rigs they've built themselves from hand-picked components. This ruling has unfortunately sounded the death knell for enterprising and surprisingly plucky upstart outfit, Psystar, who showed what could be possible with an open mind and technical skill. UPDATE after the jump.

Psystar began selling their Mac OS X-capable Open Computer in April 2008, despite the fact that they unequivocally broke Apple's licensing restrictions. The EULA read:
You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labelled computer, or to enable others to do so.

For a surprisingly long time, Apple did nothing. This caused some industry pundits to suggest that perhaps Apple had given their tacit approval for a clone. However, it turned out that this was most certainly not the case and Apple eventually sued Psystar. However, what surprised many, is that Psystar quickly countersued, asserting that Apple's EULA violated the Sherman and Clayton antitrust acts.

In short, the case had more twists and turns than a whodunit novel, with Psystar actually winning a couple of small victories, although it was all ultimately for nothing. Psystar even filed for bankruptcy and just when it looked like it was all over, emerged phoenix-like from the ashes to continue fighting Apple. A surprising accomplishment in the face of such a powerful and relentless legal onslaught.

However, this Wednesday, Apple finally got the hands-down victory they had fought for so long, when judge Mary Schroeder of the US District Court of Appeals of the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco issued the final words in this case:
The district court's grant of summary judgement in favour of Apple and its entry of a permanent injunction against Psystar's infringement of Mac OS X are affirmed.

But even in defeat, Psystar won a tiny victory. Apple - in its eternal quest to protect any and all information about itself - had asked Schroeder to keep documents about the summary judgement case sealed. Schroeder refused, saying that to do so "without explanation" was out of bounds.

So there still remains the small matter of whether Apple will be able to keep select court documents sealed, which may cause a smile or two among Psystar supporters. Of course, the damages that Psystar is now liable for are going to completely sink what's left of the company. It's doubtful that Apple will actually see all the money that they're owed and likely that they won't care. It was all about stopping the competition.

So, are Apple triumphant in all this? Yes, they have been able to put the genie back in the bottle, they want to protect the 'purity' of their Apple Mac brand and keep any and all profits from the brand, which they have achieved. However, the bottom line is will this actually result in more money flowing into their bank account? It may not.

Think of the original IBM PC: it was cloned, against IBM's wishes and due to a legal technicality, they couldn't stop it. However, this made the platform grow phenomenally into the industry-dominating juggernaut that it is today, together with all the niche spin-offs, including the high performance enthusiast segment. And critically, it has made IBM's product much more successful and lucrative for them than if IBM had been allowed to keep it closed and proprietary with high prices.

So, by the same token, keeping the Mac platform closed and proprietary, Apple are likely to actually reduce awareness and interest in their products. Therefore, ironically, Apple's victory in court may actually be a bigger victory for those in the Anti-Apple camp, who want to see their market penetration remain small and who would be happy if they just faded away into obscurity. So, will Apple's current stance remain now that Steve Jobs has stepped down as CEO and no longer has such a dominating influence over the company? This remains to be seen.

By restricting their products this way, Apple have actually reduced the market penetration of their much-loved operating system, since running it on more and cheaper hardware configurations is no longer possible. Many people that like the Mac OS would normally never buy a Mac due to the sheer cost of entry to the club, which this would have lowered. In time, those same customers may well want the 'real thing' for their next machine and buy a genuine Mac. There's no reason why Apple couldn't have licensed the OS for Psystar hardware and collected a handsome royalty on every sale in the process - a win-win situation.

For more details and lots of links, head on over to The Register article this story was based on.

UPDATE

Well, it looks like this really isn't over yet. Psystar are down, but they are not completely out and are most certainly not giving up. They believe that they have a very strong case, so will be taking it all the way to the Supreme Court.

If Psystar eventually prevail, then it could mean the end of unreasonably restrictive product lockdowns by manufacturers. Read all about it over at update source, PC World.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:
Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit
who is the man now? who do we fight now, huh?

all their ads telling you to fight the man is total bs... they were are as greedy from the very start as they are today.

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
I am a firm believer that a company should only be allowed to sell a product and that it should be completely illegal for it to influence and dictate the way it should be used. Cases like this make me sad.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Well Psystar clearly had no hope of winning this. But I think what was important was seeing how far they could nudge the 800lb gorrila. Likely expose some things to the public. But that makes me wonder, who would invest in such a company if they were doomed to fail from the start?

I think its important to note that Psy revealed a clear hole in Apple's lineup that Apple refuses to exploit. Not everyone needs or wants the Pro towers with server chips/etc. They like the OS but now that OSX is on x86, they gotta ask themselves as have I,"why can't I run this on my own PC? The hardware is the same now." The Mac Mini is not the answer. In fact, that desk coaster has increased in price ever since the switch.

These clones were the Macs that some of us would like. Decent power, OSX, and a price that is within reason.

I only hope some good comes of this and maybe with Steve gone, Cook will start to embrace the idea of a Mini Tower again. Maybe even a real budget Macbook. There should not be i5s or i7s in the low end models. That is just an excuse to make up for replacing discrete with shoddy IGPs again. Lookie lookie, we've got high end CPUs now in low end Macs! They are better because they are faster!! :roll:

I'd really love to buy another Mac, but after going PC for years. I'm not the Mac fanboy I once was. Not going to fall for it. Gimmie a good balanced system with moderate power like an APU. All running OSX, you got a deal. Then if I want more power, give me something in the i7s with a decent GPU too. Pro level machines need to be Pro level. Not just the CPU and linked with a weak GPU to save battery.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
I'm sorry, but Apple triumphed... Keep telling yourselves that they are losing money by eliminating the competition

I don't agree with pretty much everything Apple says, but the case here is rather clear. They decided that their OS can only be bundled with their hardware. It's their decision which quite frankly doesn't really affect anyone. I mean why would you want MacOS in the first place unless you're an Apple freak and you own Apple device anyway?

Last edited:
It's their software and they set the rules. Get over it.

And seriously, The Register? *groan*

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
The Mac Clones almost killed Apple in the mid 1990's. They aren't interested in playing that game again and probably never will be. If you don't like the way they run their business you are welcome to create your own and buy products from someone else.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I'm sorry, but Apple triumphed... Keep telling yourselves that they are losing money by eliminating the competition

No, this remains an open question. Think, normally companies will do anything for increased market penetration, because they know that it eventually leads to bigger profits.

I think what we saw there was the control freak hand of Jobs more than anything else. When he finally leaves completely, will the company have the same outlook? I don't think anyone can say. This is a wait and see situation, no getting around that.

Processor C2D E8400@3.9GHz (488x8, 1.4v :( )
Motherboard Abit IP35-E
Cooling Thermaltake Sonic Tower+120mm fan
Memory 2GB kingmax ddr1066@976MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Radeon X1800GTO @700/1400MHz with Accelero S1+Glacialtech fancard
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 793s... just you laugh...
Case some Aplus case
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC888
Power Supply Chieftec 450W
Software Win7 x64
I mean why would you want MacOS in the first place unless you're an Apple freak and you own Apple device anyway?

well, there are some specific cases, i have two friends running hackintoshes because of a single piece of software - logic studio. it's an music production software, you might say a top one at that, i do some production too and would like to give it a shot but i'm too lazy to go bother with the installation and don't have the moniez for a mac.

and today's music industry being musical taste killing piece of shit that it is, no wonder apple runs a big part of the show on that front too.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
and today's music industry being musical taste killing piece of shit that it is

I disagree here. Small acts have never had such possibilites to put out their own music as they have now. The part of the industry that is bad is the popular music (well some of it anyway) but you don't have to be a part of that.

And I don't see anything wrong with this. Apple having control of the hardware is a big part of OSX's success imo.

System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Why there's no "I hate Apple" option in the poll?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I disagree here. Small acts have never had such possibilites to put out their own music as they have now. The part of the industry that is bad is the popular music (well some of it anyway) but you don't have to be a part of that.

And I don't see anything wrong with this. Apple having control of the hardware is a big part of OSX's success imo.

I'd say it isn't. Microsoft doesn't try to lock down the hardware* and look how their OS dominates. In the end, people quite reasonably prefer open systems.

For another fine example, look at HTC. It came from nowhere about three years ago with its open Linux-based Android OS and now it's leading Apple's iPhone in several markets.

*Ridiculously, it seems like they'd like to though. :rolleyes:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I'd say it isn't. Microsoft doesn't try to lock down the hardware* and look how their OS dominates. In the end, people quite reasonably prefer open systems.

Well maybe so, but it certinaly is part of their image. And I still don't think it's wrong of them.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL

For another fine example, look at HTC. It came from nowhere about three years ago with its open Linux-based Android OS and now it's leading Apple's iPhone in several markets.

*Ridiculously, it seems like they'd like to though. :rolleyes:

Yes but don't forget Microsoft never had an opportunity Apple had to control everything like Apple does. This gives Apple a much easier job.

TBH, Windows targets different people than Apple does.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Yes but don't forget Microsoft never had an opportunity Apple had to control everything like Apple does. This gives Apple a much easier job.

TBH, Windows targets different people than Apple does.

Dang it, I hate to say it, but I have to agree :) MS certainly didn't have that control opportunity that Apple has.

I still think it ultimately helped MS's bottom line, but no company can resist a power grab instead of sharing wealth, even though sharing is likely to make them more money.

Apple made its own computers Microsoft never did and this is where the 2 fundamentally differ. Sure Macs run on intels and no longer proprietary hardware but they still make their own machines.

Microsoft are mainly in the OS business selling you a piece of software for your computer.

Processor C2D E8400@3.9GHz (488x8, 1.4v :( )
Motherboard Abit IP35-E
Cooling Thermaltake Sonic Tower+120mm fan
Memory 2GB kingmax ddr1066@976MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Radeon X1800GTO @700/1400MHz with Accelero S1+Glacialtech fancard
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 793s... just you laugh...
Case some Aplus case
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC888
Power Supply Chieftec 450W
Software Win7 x64
Small acts have never had such possibilites

true that, that part is awesome, but i don't really view small acts as a part of the industry and most of them shun it too. the industry part is all commercial now, the days of true originality and talent getting on top of the charts are long gone imo (don't get me wrong, i ain't saying that current most successful musicians don't know shit) since 99% of the music that actually gets promoted by the industry and therefore actually makes some substantial profit is MADE TO SELL, nothing else.
what i hate the most about the industry are the loudness wars - ppl seem to really not give a fuck about the quality of the hardware reproducing their music and they no longer give any attention to the track, it's so over compressed that it's simply being shoved into their ears.

end rant :shadedshu

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
I don't understand why Apple wouldn't be fine with this. To allow their OS to reach farther into the PC market, thats just stupid.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I don't understand why Apple wouldn't be fine with this. To allow their OS to reach farther into the PC market, thats just stupid.

Duh! :rolleyes: +1

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403

I thought the point of moving to Intel processors and basically the PC platform was to start gaining a customer base for their OS. Would make a ton of sense, apple is making a ton of money selling their own stuff, and while they are ahead of M$. You can't ignore that the majority of Gates money was made selling an OS, not a whole setup. To be able to market your product to people who like to build their own rigs, it's a decent market, and to be able to sell it to companies like Dell, it could add a lot of profits I would think.

Only reason I see them saying no is, they would have to drop their prices on their hardware probably. Even right now, anyone with half a brain that knows little about computers can walk into Best Buy, see a Windows PC and a Mac and see the specs are the same, but the cost is $1500 or more apart. Some people are smart enough to notice that and say "what the hell". Others just see that Apple logo and don't care. But if OS X went onto PCs more commonly, it might confuse their brainwashed fanbase, and some of them might start buying the PCs with the OS vs the more expensive full solution from them.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
thank god not all companies are apple ie if they had their way we would all be playing shit net games on shit gpus with restrictive draconian apple raking a great deal more money.

imagine a world without apples though, damn that would be bleak id have less people to laugh at

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I thought the point of moving to Intel processors and basically the PC platform was to start gaining a customer base for their OS. Would make a ton of sense, apple is making a ton of money selling their own stuff, and while they are ahead of M$. You can't ignore that the majority of Gates money was made selling an OS, not a whole setup. To be able to market your product to people who like to build their own rigs, it's a decent market, and to be able to sell it to companies like Dell, it could add a lot of profits I would think.

Only reason I see them saying no is, they would have to drop their prices on their hardware probably. Even right now, anyone with half a brain that knows little about computers can walk into Best Buy, see a Windows PC and a Mac and see the specs are the same, but the cost is $1500 or more apart. Some people are smart enough to notice that and say "what the hell". Others just see that Apple logo and don't care. But if OS X went onto PCs more commonly, it might confuse their brainwashed fanbase, and some of them might start buying the PCs with the OS vs the more expensive full solution from them.

Well said, I couldn't put it better myself. :toast:

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Motherboard Asrock b550m riptide pd
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.Skill RGB DDR4 @ 3200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK319 RX 7800 XT 16gb
Storage 1x Hynix P31 1tb (os) 1x 4tb SP UD90
Display(s) 1x Acer Predator X34, 2x 13.3 mobile USBC wings
Case Jonsbo D31 mesh
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Corsair SF750w
Software Windows 11
Why would apple be fine with this? They validate all the hardware that goes into their boxes, work with companies to offer decent drivers and support for various features and so forth.

Saying apple should let other companies build cheap little clones and sell them is akin to saying Ford should just start putting Ferrari badges on the Focus cause really, they are the same hardware..just cheaper version. Never mind the effort that goes into designing, building, marketing, and selling a Ferrari, just let Ford call the Focus a Ferrari and profit from someone else's success in a niche market. Hel why stop there, Kia can make an even cheaper Ferrari! We can all have One! Never mind that it just wouldn't be the same, or as good.

Apple sells premium hardware, full stop. They don't want to offer anything under $1,000 and that's their business model. Maybe things will change later, but for now apple sells what they sell. And premium doesn't always mean absolute peak performance, the software, design, aesthetics, and so forth are all part of the equation.