• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

game installation question

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
hi to all,
i have just installed a vertex-3 60 gb ssd as my o/s drive and am using a 500gb hdrive for storage,im not used to this setup and have never done it this way before,i want to install some games i have from disc like bbc 2 and others,do i install the whole game onto (d)=500gb drive[create battlefield folder etc] ,or do i install it into (c) :\program files(x86) battlefield\etc \etc and then move it over onto (D) later on into a created folder ,

will it run off of (d) if the whole game is installed onto (d)? or does it need to be in program files(x86) to run properly?
i have steam tool and steam mover,so i could use those after installing onto my ssd-(c) drive,,although its not a steam game,
i hope im making sense here,:eek:
gracious thanx for any input\help as always!
ps,im amazed by the amount of collective knowledge on this site,:toast:

If i'm understanding you correctly, you want the game to run off your 500gb hd correct? You can just point the installation to the drive you want to run it off of, which in this case is D:

Not directly related to the topic, but you can actually change the default location of %program files% to a different directory if you intend to use your ssd as an OS drive only. For example I have my C: as windows and D: as program files and installers recognize d:\program files as the default directory

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
If i'm understanding you correctly, you want the game to run off your 500gb hd correct? You can just point the installation to the drive you want to run it off of, which in this case is D:

Not directly related to the topic, but you can actually change the default location of %program files% to a different directory if you intend to use your ssd as an OS drive only. For example I have my C: as windows and D: as program files and installers recognize d:\program files as the default directory

good stuff homeless,i do only want it as os drive,i thought as much,but thought its better to ask first before going thru the hassles of installing and then having to delete if wrong,now i know,good man,thanx,installation goes ahead as of now,

thats great to know with c\program files folder too,with only 55gb useable and 10/15% for over provisioning,what is it-13gb? for win 7 64bit,it really only allows 30-35gb thereabouts left over etc,thanks again,ms.:toast::)