• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ivy Bridge Quad-Core to Have 77W TDP, Intel Plans for LGA1155 Ivy Bridge Entry

I guess that they have to at least compete with themselves if they want to sell something and for that they probably need to soundly beat their previous CPUs. Bear in mind how long it's been since first Quad cores were released, and those are enough for most people. Even Core i7 is been here long enough. Enthusiasts will upgrade for a little improvement but the mayority of people will not upgrade unless there's a significant advancement*, and the market is pretty much saturated. Intel has already seen that the market is slowing down, not all quarters have been as good as they thought despite not having a real competitor, so they need to keep moving or simply see their market shrink and eventually die of starvation (Intel is big company that needs high revenues in order to survive).

* I know many people that only do office work, that still use single cores like P4, Athlon XP and heck I still have a 486 that works (if only was useful). Obviously those are not usable by todays standards, or not desirable (P4/Athlon XP), but a quad core CPU will always be enough for "home use" unless tasks like web surfing and office are deliberately made a lot harder to run, wich would stink even to illitertes IMO. So people would hold on to those for as long as the hardware lived or until there's a new CPU that brings a massive performance advantage for very little price. Intel can't just afford to sell you 1 CPU every 10 years, they need you tu buy their CPUs every 3-4 years minimum.

Excellent points. :toast:

System Name The one under the desk / Media Centre
Processor Xeon X3730@3.6GHZ / Phenom II X4 805E
Motherboard Gigabyte P55M-UD4 / Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Corsair H70 + 2*PWM fan / Arctic Alpine 11
Memory 16GB DRR3-1333 9-9-9-27 / 4GB Crucial DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Asus DirectCU GTX 680 / Gigabyte 560TI
Storage Kingston V200 128GB, WD6400AAKS, 1TB Seagate 7.2kRPM SSHD / Kingston V200 128GB
Display(s) Samsung 2343BW + Dell Ultrasharp 1600*1200 / 32" TV
Case C'M' Silencio 550 / Some ancient SilverStone brushed aluminium media centre
Audio Device(s) No.
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675W / EVGA 430W
Mouse Mionix Naos 3200 / Generic PS2
Keyboard Roccat Ryos TKL Pro / Evoluent Mouse Friendly Keyboard (Logitech OEM)
Software Windows 7 Ult x64
Benchmark Scores Nah.
I remember 775, i also remember having to buy a new mobo everytime i upgraded to a newer chip, regardless of it having the same socket.
I recently got an ASRock z68 extreme4 gen3, but i bet despite it supporting Pci-e 3 theres still some reason we'll all need a new mobo when Ivy Bridge releases.

You got unlucky. I used the same motherboard for Cedar Mill, Conroe and Wolfdale and never felt that I was missing out on anything. I can't actually think of a 775 chipset that couldn't support Wolfdale through bios flashing. Nforce 5 maybe?

Sure, both a car and a motorcycle can take you places, it's just that each is fundamentally incapable of certain tasks the other is capable of, and neither can replace the other.

That's not to say that ARM and x86 will never cross paths. Intel is struggling to miniaturize x86 to maintain performance per watt levels comparable to ARM, while ARM designers like NVIDIA dream of one day kicking out x86 processor from the PC.

Can't you see all the things that have literally migrated over to ARM platforms? See the incredible evolution since the iPhone was released?

I don't need x86 to do any of these things anymore.

-Email
-Websurfing
-Games (think Angrybirds which is now much more popular on ARM than PC)
-Videoconfrencing via skype
-Productivity software (is still in its infancy)

Hell, if I could walk up to a keyboard and monitor and wirelessly sync my phone with them I don't think I would need a PC (once MS gets their ass in gear and makes a proper ARM port of Office). The only problem right now with smartphones and tablets is the interface is sometimes not as good as the PC counterparts especially for productivity tasks. Optional sync solves this completely.

Sure some tasks require serious horsepower, but not many and rarely does the average person need it. Also, cloud processing will lend a helping hand in this respect when the time comes. This is the heavy lifting that Intel will be doing.

Anyways, its crystal clear to me. I'm surprised others don't see it.

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
You got unlucky. I used the same motherboard for Cedar Mill, Conroe and Wolfdale and never felt that I was missing out on anything. I can't actually think of a 775 chipset that couldn't support Wolfdale through bios flashing. Nforce 5 maybe?

I had Nforce 6 which couldn't overclock 65nm quads or any 45nm chips for shit, and an old 975 board that didn't like either.
I also got a p45 to replace the p35 i had for pci-e 2, admittedly that one wasn't necessary

^ Even Microsoft is now into the ARM game.

Windows 8 will run on ARM.

Honestly, what part of this isn't a direct, immediate and future threat to Intel and x86?

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Intel's threat isn't AMD.

Intel's threat is ARM, and they need to move fast on die shrinks and aggressive power saving to meet this threat. It's coming.

Intel's thread is also Vision. Where AMD is doing relatively well.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Why impressed? Remember LGA 775?

Yep I remember, my Pentium 4 board (socket 775) wasn't compatible with a Pentium D and a Pentium D board wasn't compatible with Core 2 Duo. They were changing the chipset instead of the socket.

But anyway, Ivy looks really good I think we could expect an 8 core desktop part as well...

Processor i7 950
Motherboard Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory Kingston HyperX 3x 2GiB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 570
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 120GB + 8TB
Power Supply Chieftec 750W
When ARM finally will meet requirements of a modern workstation (execute complex javascript powered webpages/webapps; run games; encode/edit videos etc; able to run VMs/virtualize) it will be just as heavy/"power inefficient" as x86. And everybody will choose x86 because of tons of legacy software supported.

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
Can't you see all the things that have literally migrated over to ARM platforms? See the incredible evolution since the iPhone was released?

-Email
-Websurfing

Hell, if I could walk up to a keyboard and monitor and wirelessly sync my phone with them I don't think I would need a PC (once MS gets their ass in gear and makes a proper ARM port of Office). The only problem right now with smartphones and tablets is the interface is sometimes not as good as the PC counterparts especially for productivity tasks. Optional sync solves this completely.

Sure some tasks require serious horsepower, but not many and rarely does the average person need it. Also, cloud processing will lend a helping hand in this respect when the time comes. This is the heavy lifting that Intel will be doing.

None of them things have 'literally migrated' to mobile devices at all, sure they can do them, but every single one is substandard compared to doing them on a pc or mac

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
When ARM finally will meet requirements of a modern workstation (execute complex javascript powered webpages/webapps; run games; encode/edit videos etc; able to run VMs/virtualize) it will be just as heavy/"power inefficient" as x86. And everybody will choose x86 because of tons of legacy software supported.

Those ARM Processors are doubling in cores with pretty much the same power efficiency and increasing in Ghz.

Legacy software support can only be there for so long, if Intel and the market keep progressing for so long. The idea is, everything pretty much get's to old, and sometimes it's replaced with something completely different. (Take for instance, Steve Job's and everything he has changed drastically.)

@ the rate ARM processor's are going, there going to be very fast, fast enough to run java, encode video's, and add VM's.
What make's you think they will progress to heavy, power hogging design's where EVERYTHING in there trend is to stay small, no matter what.

ARM processor's are going to keep there market, they have to because that's what they compete the best in, there going to grow enough where they can finally address other market's with there own version's of software and compatibility.

It's like saying, ARM's will never progress, because the only thing ARM processors are not doing right now, is everything you mentioned above. Believe it when you see ARM processors with java capability's, Vm's, Encoding, Heavy gaming.

Because that's all they got left to start progressing towards.

And if anything there will be ground breaking new software that will do exactly everything you said above, for ARM processor's that's all they have to look forward to. Nothing's necessarily stopping them.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
How do we know if our motherboards support
" The motherboards feature ME8L UEFI update. For this:
o Your motherboard support currently feature a UEFI firmware
o It should support ME8L update process at the physical level, where the EEPROM is sufficiently large" ?

Will be buying the MSI Z68A-65GD G3

You can find out if the board you're about to buy features UEFI by looking up reviews. As for "sufficiently large" EEPROM, We need to find out more about what's "sufficiently large", and what else goes into making a UEFI-driven motherboard capable of ME8Legacy update. One thing that's clear is that upgrading to that Ivy Bridge-compatible firmware isn't looking to be as easy as flashing your board. Boards with legacy BIOS are technically already locked out of Ivy Bridge, unless Gigabyte's BIOS engineers pull off some hack like they did with HybridEFI (which isn't actually EFI, but legacy BIOS with an address space tweak that lets it boot from large volumes).

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You can find out if the board you're about to buy features UEFI by looking up reviews. As for "sufficiently large" EEPROM, We need to find out more about what's "sufficiently large", and what else goes into making a UEFI-driven motherboard capable of ME8Legacy update. One thing that's clear is that upgrading to that Ivy Bridge-compatible firmware isn't looking to be as easy as flashing your board. Boards with legacy BIOS are technically already locked out of Ivy Bridge, unless Gigabyte's BIOS engineers pull off some hack like they did with HybridEFI (which isn't actually EFI, but legacy BIOS with an address space tweak that lets it boot from large volumes).

I'll be keeping my PCIe 3.0 samples to check out how it works, when an updated BIOS and these CPUs are released. I've made commitments to both MSi and GIgabyte to cover the issue when devices are available in the retail space.

Because most gigabyte boards support dual BIOS, I could see them flashing to backup BIOS first, and then an updated EFI firmware might be possible.

And you are right, it's nothing more than a "tweaked drive controller BIOS" currently, as "address space tweak", i do not think covers how much of a hack it really is.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

-Email
-Websurfing

What makes the most money out of us consumers? Games. The gaming industry is huge. No matter how powerful smartphones become, playing Fallout 5 or COD MW17 on a 3.5" screen still sucks balls.
Consoles and PC's will continue to evolve as long as the desire for immersive escapism is there. Cloud will address some things but latency issues and down time still make it a not for fun option.
Productivity tasks again done on a small screen form are tiresome. Sometimes you need a large 15" screen to get things done.
Miniaturisation of form factor us all fine on dandy but it entirely depends upon the needs basis of the consumer.

I'm with BTA on this one. It is two different avenues that run parallel. And please note as devices become more powerful, battery life is not progressing as much so devices still do not give the operational run time of a mains powered 10kg leviathon (or 17KG as my fat desktop is!).

No, I like my bike for zipping about but when i need to take the kids and dog to the beach, I'll use my 4x4.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
What makes the most money out of us consumers? Games. The gaming industry is huge. No matter how powerful smartphones become, playing Fallout 5 or COD MW17 on a 3.5" screen still sucks balls.
Consoles and PC's will continue to evolve as long as the desire for immersive escapism is there. Cloud will address some things but latency issues and down time still make it a not for fun option.
Productivity tasks again done on a small screen form are tiresome. Sometimes you need a large 15" screen to get things done.
Miniaturisation of form factor us all fine on dandy but it entirely depends upon the needs basis of the consumer.

I'm with BTA on this one. It is two different avenues that run parallel. And please note as devices become more powerful, battery life is not progressing as much so devices still do not give the operational run time of a mains powered 10kg leviathon (or 17KG as my fat desktop is!).

No, I like my bike for zipping about but when i need to take the kids and dog to the beach, I'll use my 4x4.

If ARM processor's get power enough to run game's like you said, what makes you think there going to play it on a 3.5inch screen.......

What's stopping those engineer's from creating an docking station, or link between wired connection to a monitor if its that fast.

See what you guy's are forgetting is, ARM processor's have no limitation's, what's stopping it from communicating with a big monitor via any type of connection.

There are no limitation's to ARM processor's.

I could see in the future, devices so powerful it is literally a computer in your pocket, and if the user wanted to have more capability's he can connect that device dock/wire/wireless to a bigger panel.....

Imagine the portable platform, when you do not need that big platform, you can remove the device and take it on the go like a psp, something so intertwined with you it compete's in multiple market's.

Nothing is stopping ARM processor's, and there continued innovation to be faster, more portable, and reliable to the consumer, its open....

**EDIT** With battery life, there are limitation's on how fast that progresses, but with all this hogging of Non-renewable resource's, were eventually going to really have to rely on batteries.
Eventually there will be enough of a movement and innovation that we will eventually master the art of saving electricity, because if we dont.
Were going to in the dark age's very very soon.

Last edited:

WarraWarra

Good stuff Intel, finally thinking and not just spam producing mixed confusion parts.

Still would reduce this to 3 levels. (high - mid - low) and having max 3 or 4 cpu's per level.
12 cpu models vs 128 cpu models should cut down on time + money wasted and Intel running around like a headless chicken that Intel used to be.

Laptop should have max 3 or 4 cpu's in total, embedded / Atom 4x at max products.
Laptop and low power can be merged as they share same concepts except.

Would be ideal if desktop and server could be the same where server has the cherry on the cake or just extra cache or some extra featured using the same base / actual desktop cpu model.
This can then share same sockets and those with the cash can use the server cpu's in their desktops if they have the cash or high end motherboards that allow this.

Processor i7 950
Motherboard Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory Kingston HyperX 3x 2GiB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 570
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 120GB + 8TB
Power Supply Chieftec 750W
I could see in the future, devices so powerful it is literally a computer in your pocket, and if the user wanted to have more capability's he can connect that device dock/wire/wireless to a bigger panel.....

This will happen, but i doubt it will be anytime soon. Have a look at desktop PC processors/mobos/vgas - size haven't changed at all in last 15 years. Those components mybe even got beefier - customers demand more and more power and chipmakers cant just shrink their chips - they have to shrink them AND double/tripple the transistor count :) . Something really crazy must happen, if we want sizes to go down on mainstream PCs/consoles/laptops - worldwide cloud adaption, some new crazy tech that goes beyon 1nm (NOW!) etc.

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
A computer in your pocket in the future? That's the way it's always been. My smartphone is about as powerful as a 10 year old PC.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
I doubt smartphones and tablets will pwn the PC. Aside from the many hardware limitations, the OSs and frameworks running them just can't stand to those of the PC. Sure you can pop a few green pigs on your iPhone, but ever thought on what was this game programmed ? Yep, on a PC !

I see what you did there ;)

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
Office computer is still running Socket 478 Pentium 4 2.66Ghz Northwood (130 nm)!:rockout: Still runs great on XP. and my gaming comp. LGA 775 Q6600 is still rocking! But I might upgrade to Ivy Bridge and turn my current comp. into my office comp.

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
My guess is that the TDP is 7w for the GPU part and 70w for the CPU part.

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
My guess is that the TDP is 7w for the GPU part and 70w for the CPU part.

you're forgetting the GPU has always been 1 process behind on Intel CPUs, it may very well be the tradditional 65W CPU with a 12W GPU

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
If ARM processor's get power enough to run game's like you said, what makes you think there going to play it on a 3.5inch screen.......

Why, is that a 17" TouchPad I see sticking out of your pocket? :roll:

ARM processors still have a long way to go before they can compete with the likes of even a low-end Sandy Bridge processor.

Benetanegia

What makes the most money out of us consumers? Games. The gaming industry is huge.

That's not true at all. If it was true Intel wouldn't have 60% of GPU shipments. And half (or more) of the remaining market share wouldn't be integrated graphics from both AMD and Nvidia. And the remaining wouldn't be primarily dominated by low end GPUs not suitable for gaming.

Laptops and nettops wouldn't outsell desktops, etc.

If ARM can grab the entire non-gaming, non-enthusiast, non-workstation market Intel could still easily loose 80% of their consumer market. Sure that's not going to happen anytime soon, but even a 15% loss would completely change the landscape and would make them have to cut some corners in the company. Add the fact that they also compete with their own previous generations* and Intel could be facing some real challenges in the near future.

* Like I said any Quad from the past 4 years is enough for 95% of the people. Also most people expect their PCs to last more than 5 years. These people who are buying PCs right now will not be willing to buy anything for the next 5-8 years, because they trully don't need it. If by 2015 ARM can put out octo+ cores, that are out of order and can reach 4 Ghz, that will be a good enough upgrade for them. Cortex A-15 is already OoO superscalar and is expected to come in at 2.5 Ghz. So what I said above is more than doable, hence it would all become a matter of price, wattage etc. and there ARM is a much better contender. Not that Intel could not contend in that situation, but it would need to become a much more "slim" company in order to be able to be sustained selling $10-$50 chips intead of current ones.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
If this is true that's pretty dammed amazing.

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
you're forgetting the GPU has always been 1 process behind on Intel CPUs, it may very well be the tradditional 65W CPU with a 12W GPU

Yeah that makes more sense, plus they are supposed to buff up the GPU from 12 to 16 EUs