• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Appoints Mark Papermaster as Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer

Processor Core i7 @ 3.5GHz stock voltage
Motherboard MSI Eclipse
Cooling Noctua NH-12P SE
Memory 6 GB 1066MHz
Video Card(s) 2x GTX260 @ 701/1506
Storage Raptor 74 GB
Display(s) NEC MultiSync 2080UX+
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Win7
First they fired Dirk, then they started selling RAM when the market hit record lows, now they hire Mark "Antennagate" Papermaster. Good job AMD.

Yup.
Which presupposes a couple of points:
1. Globalfoundries can actually produce a "shit load" of Bulldozer CPU's in a time frame acceptable to OEM's, and..
2. AMD and successful marketing are as synonymous as Tahiti and alpine skiing. This is, after all a company that marketed it's top-of-the-line desktop CPU's using a comic book.

On that note bear in mind the FX-6100 is at $165 release price, the 1100T was a $265 part, there's plenty of price reduction in the 6-core as it a binned (cut-back) 8-core and are probably abundant considering yields. The best part is the FX-6100 is the same clock as the 1100T (8% less than its 8-core brethren), and it from all accounts aligns nicely with the 1100T (coincidence?). It’s not single thread "happy", but good enough for normal desktop work, while multi-thread and media encoding better than the X6 does and the X6 was the previous favorite and is showing similar power consumption. Though here's the "phenomenon" the 1100T is a 125W part, the FX-6100 is a 95W, while the FX-6100 has a maximum operating temperature of 70°C; (1100T 62°C) so sustaining in OC the FX-6100 I’d say it has better headroom.

While not a “light-year” better than the 1100T, a darn nice OEM offering at such volume pricing. It would be interesting that if AMD releases “lighten mobo” with an OEM discrete 28Nm card, in December which I'm sure is doable. Ivy Bridge would single-thread fast, but saddled with "GMA Craphics" not much for equilibrium, while would Intel vie on price. The balance of FX-6100 and Southern Islands, and low cost mobo is enticing, evoking the game plan they have APU’s for low end, and this for the discerning performance buyer... they don’t IGP anymore.
;)

Another thought... APU uses the regular mobo ram, Right? What if AMD was able to have a discrete card with little or no on-board GDDR, a light mobo could be really curtailed, doesn’t need VGA/HDMI, the backing plate would have USB and audio. Isn't memory controller, all contained in the Bulldozer chip at this point? A super cost effective mobo and discrete graphics, while much reduced power from both those parts. Would transferring the workload to Bulldozer cause it to jump that much in efficiency it might already be powering some of this? OEM's could install 8Gb (cheap) and handle all the workload. While the PCI-E slot is the same, so if you want an upgrade you can with a card with 1Gb on-board or whatever. Just imagine graphics of say HD5670 level and not even pulling 40W under a load, and a simple heatsink.
I originally thought this as a answer high-end Laptops, but OEM mini-towers make sense.

I'm a dreamer (Steve Jobs type) I know. :toast:

Last edited: