• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire Celebrates Battlefield 3 Launch with Special Edition HD 6970 Graphics Card

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Celebrating the launch of the much anticipated Battlefield 3 game, SAPPHIRE Technology is introducing the SAPPHIRE HD 6970 BF3 Special Edition - featuring two SAPPHIRE exclusive technologies, SAPPHIRE FleX and Vapor-X cooling as well as performance enhancing options for the enthusiast and access to a FREE copy of the full game!

The SAPPHIRE HD 6970 BF3 Special Edition is based on AMD's award winning second generation DX 11 graphics engine with the powerful configuration of 1536 stream processors and 96 texture processing units delivering smooth and detailed graphics to the latest generation of games and applications. SAPPHIRE FleX technology allows the direct connection of three DVI monitors in Eyefinity mode without the need for special adapters, making it the simplest solution to multi-screen enjoyment, and the highly efficient SAPPHIRE Vapor-X cooling enables performance to be maximised whilst keeping noise levels low.

On this card, a Dual BIOS switch allows users to choose between two performance settings delivering the best performance in its class. The 'normal' setting has clock speeds of 880MHz for the core and 1375Mhz (5.5Gb/sec effective) for the memory, and a quiet fan profile, whilst the 'boost' setting raises the core clock to 930MHz, as well as increasing the core voltage, fan speed and overclock limits to deliver higher performance. Enthusiasts can further optimise performance using the SAPPHIRE TriXX tool, free to download from the SAPPHIRE website, which allows users to adjust clock speeds, voltages and fan speeds whilst monitoring GPU temperature.

The SAPPHIRE HD 6000 series family all have on-board hardware UVD (Unified Video decoder), considerably reducing CPU load and delivering smooth decoding of Blu-ray and other video content for both VC-1 and H.264 codecs, as well as Mpeg files and including 3D content. The UVD can decode two 1080p HD video streams simultaneously and display HD video in high quality with Windows Aero mode enabled. HDMI output conforms to HDMI 1.4 which supports Stereoscopic 3D output.

SAPPHIRE graphics cards are supported by AMD's DirectX 11 WHQL certified graphics driver which delivers support for all of the key DirectX 11 level features required for new gaming experiences and acceleration of next generation high performance applications.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
WOW!!! plus free copy of BF3

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
only a good deal if the price is right

System Name Shaman of Sexy
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE@4Ghz EK Supreme Block
Motherboard M3A79-T Deluxe Anfi-Tech Waterblocks
Cooling Magicool 360 + 120 + 120 Slim scythe slipped Laing DDC-1/T
Memory 4GB Corsair Dominator CM2X2048-8500C5D
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 EK 4870 X2 Block
Storage RAID 0 Seagate
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 22"
Case CoolerMaster Cosmos RC-1000 in mod progress
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coba Nitrox 750W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1056967
little late .....

System Name Just A Gaming Rig.
Processor AMD FX-8320 @4.1GHz, 1.268V
Motherboard ASUS M5A97 Evo R2.0
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Club 3D R9 280X 3GB royalQueen, @1115/1615MHz
Storage OS+Often used stuff: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB, Mass storage: WD Blue 1TB
Case Zalman Z3 Plus
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Software Windows 8.1 64-bit
Pfft, I already have my copy pre loaded and ready to go. They should of done this a little earlier than this, especially considering that many of us have pre-ordered the game.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified

Edgarstrong

Tried to search for it in EU, deliverable to Italy, but had no luck so far. I've been waiting for 6970 Toxic for a while now but looks like it's not going to happen so might as well take this Vapor-X version.

So aside from the included game, what makes the card so 'special' ? Theres not even anything related to BF3 on the card. At least make it similar to EVGAs limited cards (like the CoD ones).

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Toxic's are overated (I had 2 4870 Toxic cards)

all you really get is a fancier cooler and 10-15% bump in clocks something you could both do yourself. A Arctic Cooling Xtreme Plus II with cool leagues better and and a free program like TriXX or MSI Afterburner.

With this whole artsyfartsy 'OoOoO daddy look at mee - im special' Vapour-X cooler is more of a gimmick then anything else.

This is a cooler ripped off a old non ref 5850... Keep an eye out on the heatpipes.

^ Notice how the heatpipes inside split up into different directions - just like the one on this flex...

Now the underside of the cooler where the cooler makes contact with the GPU.

^Notice how small the contact area is?? for Vapour X to be a 100% more effective you need a wider contact area similar to the reference coolers to maximise cooling.,

AMD's Vapour X works on 2 levels. - the copper vapour X chamber where all the magic takes place and the aluminium fins on the second layer of the cooler that are fused with the copper layer to move the heat away when the fan blows on it.

Wider the area - more fins = better cooling.

what theyve done here is given it a small contact area and heatpipes which lead to the cooling fins which the fan blow on.

And if you take the shroud off....

^This is no doubt what this 6970 would look like if you took the shroud off.

Closer look at the heatpipe layout/setup with the shroud off.

Look how thin the base/contact area is....

you can cool a 5850-6870 with the same setup without the whole 'Vapour X' malarky

The Vapour X setup will WORK but I highly doubt that it makes and huge difference in temperatures due to the use of heatpipes and not a cooler similar to a reference one.

a similar arguement can be said about the whole 'Direct touch' feature on CPU coolers back when socket 775 was released. Direct touch might have worked. but compared against a cooler that didnt have Direct touch - there was hardly any difference at all.

The more contact the cooler makes with the CPU the better it can take heat away.

------

Obviously these are just based on my own personal observations and you may refute my claims as much as you like. but IMO Sapphire are using it as an empty marketing ploy as they know 6970s run hot

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Where a vapour chamber by it's self isn't all that great.

I've always wanted to see a vapour chamber cooler the size of a motherboard ( with 10mm high fins) to bolt to the cpu/motherboard as that would be a good use of the vapour chamber technology ( expensive and difficult to make though)

Heatpipes do just a good of a job if not better as more heatpipes = more surface area contact with the fins them self.

( vapour chambers only have the edge of the fin to transfer heat to)

A combination of the two technologies would be best.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
Too bad that I'm at the end of my upgrades for this generation. I am going with a higher end card to start out with when the 7000 series launches.

Edgarstrong

Obviously these are just based on my own personal observations and you may refute my claims as much as you like. but IMO Sapphire are using it as an empty marketing ploy as they know 6970s run hot

Thanks a lot for the info, I found it very useful. I always try to buy graphics cards with custom cooling solutions, mostly for lower noise levels. I admit that I must be an easy target for companies charging premium for what they claim to be a superior product but it is not easy to make a purchasing decision without having actually seen and experienced all these cards in action. Well there are reviews of course, but in my opinion they often seem to be somewhat generous to major manufacturers, for some reason.

I did have some Vapor-X cards in past and I was happy with them, but lately I heard a lot about them being somewhat hot and loud, still better than reference designs of course, but still...By the way, if I may ask, what do you think about Asus Direct CU II coolers on HD 69xx cards?

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
but still...By the way, if I may ask, what do you think about Asus Direct CU II coolers on HD 69xx cards?

I think the DirectCU II cooler is a pretty good one. however there are a lot of conflicting reviews out there with some reporting load temps of 83'c while others report at 61'c

the cooler seems to do a decent job, but i dont think its worth the extra money.

If you play on just running 1 single 6970 then grab something from Arctic cooling. If you run dual graphics then its better to get a graphics card with a good or above average cooler as aftermarket cooling can take up 3 PCI slots per card which puts them dangeriously close together as the top card can and will overheat. due to there not being enough space for airflow between the cards - trust me, Ive experienced this with 2 5850s with AC Twin Turbo's mounted.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
I'd like it more if Sapphire wasn't so terribad.

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Toxic's are overated (I had 2 4870 Toxic cards)

all you really get is a fancier cooler and 10-15% bump in clocks something you could both do yourself. A Arctic Cooling Xtreme Plus II with cool leagues better and and a free program like TriXX or MSI Afterburner.

With this whole artsyfartsy 'OoOoO daddy look at mee - im special' Vapour-X cooler is more of a gimmick then anything else.

This is a cooler ripped off a old non ref 5850... Keep an eye out on the heatpipes.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/FinalFreedomEclipse/SDC10388.jpg

^ Notice how the heatpipes inside split up into different directions - just like the one on this flex...

Now the underside of the cooler where the cooler makes contact with the GPU.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/FinalFreedomEclipse/SDC10389.jpg

^Notice how small the contact area is?? for Vapour X to be a 100% more effective you need a wider contact area similar to the reference coolers to maximise cooling.,

AMD's Vapour X works on 2 levels. - the copper vapour X chamber where all the magic takes place and the aluminium fins on the second layer of the cooler that are fused with the copper layer to move the heat away when the fan blows on it.

Wider the area - more fins = better cooling.

what theyve done here is given it a small contact area and heatpipes which lead to the cooling fins which the fan blow on.

And if you take the shroud off....
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/FinalFreedomEclipse/SDC10390.jpg
^This is no doubt what this 6970 would look like if you took the shroud off.

Closer look at the heatpipe layout/setup with the shroud off.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/FinalFreedomEclipse/SDC10391.jpg

Look how thin the base/contact area is....
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n210/FinalFreedomEclipse/SDC10393.jpg

you can cool a 5850-6870 with the same setup without the whole 'Vapour X' malarky

The Vapour X setup will WORK but I highly doubt that it makes and huge difference in temperatures due to the use of heatpipes and not a cooler similar to a reference one.

a similar arguement can be said about the whole 'Direct touch' feature on CPU coolers back when socket 775 was released. Direct touch might have worked. but compared against a cooler that didnt have Direct touch - there was hardly any difference at all.

The more contact the cooler makes with the CPU the better it can take heat away.

------

They run hot but not room warmer that are Nvidia....Fanboy comments need not apply they are telling us of a new card not how you think 6970 suck if they run hot yet you use a 400-500 nvidia card go figure.I have never had overheating issues with mine(just a bad driver 11.10 so far too) and it is almost a year ago they came out,Mine in GPUZ never goes over 60-65 degrees.

I wish they don`t have the special aluminum case one like they did for the BC2 Vietnamese edition...$100 more then the card board box (LE one in my case)which was $30 more.