• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte X79 UD3 and UD5 Final Design Motherboards Detailed

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I will only ever consider the products I have tested. I have stated this numerous times. As the board reviewer here @ TPU, I can only EVER comment about real-world facts I can back up with hard numbers and benchmarks that any user can repeat. It's pointless for me to comment on products I don't have, as my opinion is what gets me the stuff in the first place. ASUS didn't see it fit to send me one, so you bet I won't consider it an option. Clearly ASUS doesn't think I need one, and I will always say that if an OEM doesn't send me a board, it's becuase it's broken, or it will not pass my testing requirements. I don't review to please OEMs..it's their job to please me. If they don't, the product gets a low score. No big deal.

16GB is NOT ENOUGH for some users. I agree, that the amount is far more than most would need. Even 8GB is too much...1366 had it right with 6, for sure. However, when trying to push boards to the limit, and testing whether they can meet their claims, doing things like running 16GB whether used or not is kinda of par for the course, because you and I both know that people are gonna do it, whether it makes sense or not. Even the need to overclock is questionable with today's CPUs, as high performance as they are. Then, when a user reads my reviews, and wants to know how they behave with 16GB kits, they'll have their answer.

This kit is for X79 boards, anyway. Same sticks that I showed a single one of above. More than likely, I'll get one of these boards in the OP from Gigabyte to test, and they'll have to run these 4x 4GB sticks, as they are relatively cheap, and X79 is all about quad channel. I have 2 GB sticks to use as well as some other sticks from other OEMs. I epxect these sticks to run 2133 MHZ on X79 though.

stargazer7

no oem "has to" send you any products at all. some will get it, some wont. its not an indication of a product being good or not. and i'm sure you can't call the Maximus IV a broken board.... if you couldnt talk it up to Asus, i wont blame you. i would blame them, but that doesnt mean their product is junk. they have some of, if not the best Sandy boards

16GB is not enough for? ray tracing? ppl buy these things for gaming. the sniper is a %100 gamer oriented board. thats a moot point.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
the sniper is a 100% gamer oriented board. thats a moot point.

Hmm. Very true. But here I am, wanting it to do a bit more than it should, and it does.

Um, win?:laugh:

ASUS? lulz. I can say whatever I like...everyone is entitled to their opinion. They make decent products, sure, but I'm hearing more and more that people are sick of red and black.

And yes, I will ALWAYS state that if I haven't reviewed a product, readers should NOT buy it. Like I've said, I cannot comment about products I do not have, and you'll find many posts in the comment section of my reviews with users stating they bought the product solely based on my review. I'm not going tell users to buy a broken product...and i cannot tell users to buy a product I don't have...so both are the same, to me. Yes, broken logic, but there ya go.

stargazer7

you can lol at aSucks as much as you want.... but thats not going to change the fact that Maximus is one of the best boards. brand doesnt matter, product matters. yes, their colour scheme is crap. again, they got strong boards

so what you're saying is basicly only "your" opinion matters. you arent the only reviewer out there, and wont ever be. im not saying you're a good reviewer or not, but there're a number of other reviews on internet. please

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Oh, I know. LuLz. I fully expect people to read other reviews..I'd be offended if they didn't.

But yeah, I'm a bit overconfident. So? LoL. Not news to me, let me tell ya.:laugh:

And I'm sure the Maximus IV-Z o0r whatever it is, is a good board. But as you saw by the picture, I hardly need another board. :p I've got hte Gene-Z, and it's pretty solid, for sure.

you know all that stuff you just listed doesn't matter unless you are benching, which then the Sniper 2 wouldn't be the best option. but we are talking about gaming, and that is what asus likes to think the M4E is built for, but the Sniper 2 better fits the bill at the same price. For OCing yea id go with the M4E, but the Sniper 2 has no problem maxing out a CPU. I hit 5.5ghz on mine.

For benching i would go with the M4E, but for gaming there is much you bang for your buck with the Sniper 2. but that is my educated opinion. you have never used the Sniper 2, so IDk why you think you feel entitled to tell someone who has used both boards that the one you never used a gimmick.

For the same price you get an updated NIC and a Sound Card built in, along with all the fan control, monitoring, and stable BIOS.

Last edited:

stargazer7

yes, but the Maximus comes at $250. for $80 more, get a refurbished Auzen Bravura. one of the best sound cards out there. and an intel pro 1000 ct for $20. for the same price, you get better EVERYthing for the fraction of losing a slot or two.

you're UNeducated. intel nic has a better processor and regularly updated better drivers. Maximus has a better bios. you also can get a much much better sound card. you have all those listed in a Maximus. and better stop.

Z68 Vs P67, the Sniper 2 offers full Ivy bridge compatibility even PCi-E 3.0, for me id spend the extra if i planned to upgrade in a year or two.

stargazer7

pci 3.0 is bull... ivy, yeah but 2500k is the best balanced chip. you can get a maximus-z or an Asrock extreme7 z68 along with a sound card. cut it off

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The cost of hardware isn't a concern for everyone. The two boards in the OP are cheaper alternatives.

You're funny, anyway. Thanks for some entertainment.

stargazer7

cheaper? what are you talking about? the Maximus is a better board and extreme7 trail the maximus. cost being an option or no, you still can get them and put a better nic/sound card. they WILL be better. do you just go by the hardware you tested, or listen to people? you said you do both, and i'm sure you do. but you're only doing the former here. thanks

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
This thread is insanely off topic. It was an entertaining read, but still, wtf is going on.

Really liking that UD5 btw. In the running for my x79 / trifire board.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
This thread is insanely off topic. It was an entertaining read, but still, wtf is going on.

I guess noone has reported a post, so noone cares? :laugh:

I'm not so interested in blue/black on the UD5. I kinda like the UD3 colors better. Too bad.

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Yeah I agree the UD3 looks better. It would be nice for budget tri-fire + raid card + pcie x1 soundcard. I am considering that one also. I don't like blue on mobo's, so the all black is really appealing.