• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA, Cray, PGI, CAPS Unveil 'OpenACC' Programming Standard for Parallel Computing

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
In an effort to make it easier for programmers to take advantage of parallel computing, NVIDIA, Cray Inc., the Portland Group (PGI), and CAPS enterprise announced today a new parallel-programming standard, known as OpenACC.

Initially developed by PGI, Cray, and NVIDIA, with support from CAPS, OpenACC is a new open parallel programming standard designed to enable the millions of scientific and technical programmers to easily take advantage of the transformative power of heterogeneous CPU/GPU computing systems.

OpenACC allows parallel programmers to provide simple hints, known as "directives," to the compiler, identifying which areas of code to accelerate, without requiring programmers to modify or adapt the underlying code itself. By exposing parallelism to the compiler, directives allow the compiler to do the detailed work of mapping the computation onto the accelerator.

OpenACC is anticipated to benefit a broad range of programmers working in chemistry, biology, physics, data analytics, weather and climate, intelligence, and many other fields. Existing compilers from Cray, PGI and CAPS are expected to provide initial support for the OpenACC standard beginning in the first quarter of 2012. The OpenACC standard is fully compatible and interoperable with the NVIDIA CUDA parallel programming architecture, which is designed to allow detailed control over the accelerator for maximum performance tuning.

Directives provide a common code base that is multi-platform and multi-vendor compatible, offering an ideal way to preserve investment in legacy applications by enabling an easy migration path to accelerated computing. Based on recent data, the majority of developers have reported 2x to 10x increases in application performance in as little as two weeks when using existing directive-based compilers.1

Quotes
"Compiler directives are integral as we continue the build-out and deployment of the Titan GPU-accelerated supercomputer," said Buddy Bland, Titan project director at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, referring to a system expected to be the world's fastest supercomputer. "Our ultimate goal is to have all Titan supercomputing code run on hybrid CPU/GPU nodes, and OpenACC will enable programmers to develop portable applications that maximize the performance and power efficiency benefits of this architecture."

"OpenACC represents a major development for the scientific community," said Jeffrey Vetter, joint professor in the Computational Science and Engineering School of the College of Computing at Georgia institute of Technology. "Programming models for open science by definition need to be flexible, open and portable across multiple platforms; OpenACC is well designed to fill this need. It provides a valuable new tool to empower the vast numbers of domain scientists who could benefit from application acceleration, but who may not have the funding or expertise to port their code to emerging architectures."

"I am enthusiastic about the future of accelerator technologies," said Michael Wong, CEO of the OpenMP Architecture Review Board. "The OpenACC announcement highlights the technically impressive initiative undertaken by members of the OpenMP Working Group on Accelerators. I look forward to working with all four companies within the OpenMP organization to merge OpenACC with other ideas to create a common specification which extends OpenMP to support accelerators. We look forward to incorporating accelerator support with the full support of all OpenMP members in a future version of the OpenMP specification."

More information about OpenACC, as well as the OpenACC specification, is available today at http://www.OpenACC-standard.org. OpenACC is based largely on the PGI and Cray accelerator programming models. NVIDIA, Cray, PGI, and CAPS are members of the OpenMP subcommittee on accelerators, and intend to work within that organization to come to a common standard.

Developers interested in trying directives-based programming can obtain a one-month free trial of the PGI Accelerator Fortran and C compilers at NVIDIA's new 2x in 4 weeks web site, or by contacting Cray.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Thanks to Recus for the lead. :toast:

System Name Hhumas-PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Motherboard Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet
Memory OCZ Platinium 2x2GB
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
Storage WD Green 500 GB , WD 500 GB
Display(s) Dell U2410F
Case Casecom
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
Nvidia always show us the way

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

god i hate blatant fanboyism like this >.>

nice of you to join a thread about some complicated breakthrough for parallel computing, and trash it instantly with a pointless fanboy comment that makes out like nvidia is the best thing since sliced bread.

on TOPIC, the fact that they call this multi vendor compatible interests me. maybe the next iteration of PhysX, will actually work properly and be useful, since it'll be openly supported on CPU, and all brands of GPU simultaneously.

thought this article came out last week except it was AMD...

EDIT: ok I cant find it. But I know this might delve into a nother stupid fanboyish argument, but didnt AMD already have completely open parallel processing applications available? If so and this is nvidias first foray into it, the fact that cray would jump on it means nothing, since they did support it on AMD before also, but if everyone accepts it that is the difference maker yes? And it would be up to AMD to follow suit?

IE at this point it means nothing to us as end user. It is up to the companies we support (end user applications) to support one or the other before it effects us.

(Sorry about my affect/effect I can never remember)

Last edited:
Excellent! I love these supercomputer standards initiatives as they will slowly but surely trickle down to us consumers. :)

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
OpenCL anyone?

Oh wait, thats open and free to use and good for the consumer.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
What's the point of yet another "standard"? Being open or not, we need just one and so far OpenCL is the only one. And even OCL is not used much if at all...

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
The point is that OpenCL is taking too long to become usable. OpenCL is in a "garrage development" state, it's incomplete and even a little out of date.

The only reason you know about OpenCL is because of AMD. Their "Close to Metal" initiative failed, they didn't have a real answer to CUDA's C programming language/compiler and they pushed this open so called "standard". (The same way they did 3D, outsoursing it to 3rd party companies).

Just recently Khronos announced version 1.2 of OpenCL, and I have a feeling it was a response to today's OpenACC announcement. More or less a desperate move.

Jarman

Processor Opty 165 @ 3011 MHz
Motherboard DFI NF4 SLI-D
Cooling Koolance Exos, DD TDX/Maze4 GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill HZ DDR 500 Kit
Video Card(s) XFX Geforce 7900GT
Storage > 1.5 TB
Display(s) XEROX 19" TFT
Case Coolermaster ATCS 101
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI
Power Supply OCZ 850W
Software XP serv pack 2
Is it coincidence that the larabee successor isn't a million miles away and Nvidia has decided to embrace open source, or is that just me??

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
The point is that OpenCL is taking too long to become usable. OpenCL is in a "garrage development" state, it's incomplete and even a little out of date.

Tell you what would of helped with with that, nvidia, cray etc chipping instead of making a separate standard.

This is the kind of shit that holds everyone back.

By the by Wolfram Mathematica utilises opencl and it works beautifully.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Tell you what would of helped with with that, nvidia, cray etc chipping instead of making a separate standard.

This is the kind of shit that holds everyone back.

By the by Wolfram Mathematica utilises opencl and it works beautifully.

+1 Competition and egos getting in the way of improvements for everyone. :shadedshu