• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

LSI Implements SAS 12 Gb/s Interface

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Well if you believe post #21 (not saying anyone should) and he only meant high I/O scenarios this whole time, then he does have at least a little standing.

It wouldn't hurt if John Doe stated that at the BEGINNING of the thread instead of at the END. :slap:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
It wouldn't hurt if John Doe stated that at the BEGINNING of the thread instead of at the END. :slap:

i'm pretty sure he changed his argument as to not look so bad.

J

John Doe

Yes SSD will take over, but right now? Not even close, SSD's in enterprise solutions is still quite rare, it is getting in there but SAS HDD's still hold their ground.
The biggest issue with SSD is their number of writes, they would be raped in heavy write environment. And this I say from my own experience.
SCSI/SAS HDD's have no issues working for 5 years 24/7 while getting hammered, now let me see an SSD do that.

Wrong. You should do some research regarding to current flash cell write levels. Especially on those that're true single cell.

Well if you believe post #21 (not saying anyone should) and he only meant high I/O scenarios this whole time, then he does have at least a little standing. Million IOPS systems were comprised of ~750 short stroked 15K hard drives only five years ago. Performance of two full racks now can be had in 4U thanks to SSDs.

It's not a "little standing". The OP was %100 on about high I/O scenarios, so I went on about that. No in no line I said "HDD's aren't used anymore". They obviously ARE still the most used way of storage. Let it be home or enterprise. The thing you said there is the reason to prefer an SSD instead of hundreds of HDD's.

P.S, the guy on drugs needs reading compherension. You know who I'm referring to. But he seems to like banning people. :D

This arguement was done late at night. That's why I couldn't word it properly at first.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
P.S, the guy on drugs needs reading compherension. You know who I'm referring to. But he seems to like banning people

Really can't see why you would have been banned on the EVGA forums :rolleyes:

J

John Doe

Really can't see why you would have been banned on the EVGA forums :rolleyes:

Well I was referring to "I banned the mailman". Now I'm not going to lie. Yes, the other reason I was banned for was attacking people. I got pissed off of their fanboys and sometimes even went as far as insulting and calling names (but that's not the point).

He, as a mod, called me "on drugs" and didn't give credit to anything I said.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Wrong. You should do some research regarding to current flash cell write levels. Especially on those that're true single cell.

You keep talking about research, well then please show me an SS based drive that can last 5 years like I said (And tested!). And please don't just put some theoretical numbers up because we all know real world isn't like that.

Companies wouldn't bother with improving SAS drives if SSD is taking over so much like you are saying. SSD's still have a long way before they enter heavy enterprise environments.

And also how can I be wrong when I experienced it first hand? I guess you like marketing slides more than real life.

J

John Doe

You keep talking about research, well then please show me an SS based drive that can last 5 years like I said (And tested!). And please don't just put some theoretical numbers up because we all know real world isn't like that.

Companies wouldn't bother with improving SAS drives if SSD is taking over so much like you are saying. SSD's still have a long way before they enter heavy enterprise environments.

And also how can I be wrong when I experienced it first hand? I guess you like marketing slides more than real life.

Those numbers are according to RW. SLC can write off tens of Gigabytes per-day.

Companies that can afford are moving to PCI-E SSD's and especially I/O drives. You didn't seem to have experienced anything;

http://www.micron.com/products/solid_state_storage/enterprise_pcie_ssd.html

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Those numbers are according to RW. SLC can write off tens of Gigabytes per-day.

Companies that can afford are moving to PCI-E SSD's and especially I/O drives. You didn't seem to have experienced anything;

http://www.micron.com/products/solid_state_storage/enterprise_pcie_ssd.html

Per day? How many per 1-2-3-4 or more years, if they survive that is.

You did exactly what I said you should not, you gave me some theoretical numbers and those are performance numbers. So I'll ask you again, can you give me any numbers after 5 years of constant duty?

I never said they won't move to SSD, they are as we speak but for now only on those areas where you don't need very high reliability.

And who are you to say what have I experienced and what I haven't? And even more funny you link me some marketing crap after that sentence :laugh:

So just to sum it up, give me real world (Not predictions or theoretical stuff) data about SSD's reliabilty in heavy write environment after a longer period of time.

Anyway, I see that you are just trying to save yourself here so I'll just end it here, my last post.

J

John Doe

Per day? How many per 1-2-3-4 or more years, if they survive that is.

You did exactly what I said you should not, you gave me some theoretical numbers and those are performance numbers. So I'll ask you again, can you give me any numbers after 5 years of constant duty?

I never said they won't move to SSD, they are as we speak but for now only on those areas where you don't need very high reliability.

And who are you to say what have I experienced and what I haven't? And even more funny you link me some marketing crap after that sentence :laugh:

So just to sum it up, give me real world (Not predictions or theoretical stuff) data about SSD's reliabilty in heavy write environment after a longer period of time.

Anyway, I see that you are just trying to save yourself here so I'll just end it here, my last post.

50 petabytes. Do the math.

It hasn't been 5 years SSD's became a norm. The first line of SSD with Micron controller started coming out in around 2007, and those were plagued with controller issues. That's why some people are still concerned. They have nothing to do with the enterprise SSD's of today.

To think that SAS HDD's are the only reliable option is laughable at best, really. :rolleyes: I/O drives have unmatched reliablity, more so than a mechanical disk. Google ZeusIOPS... :rolleyes:

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
very impressive!

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
No in no line I said "HDD's aren't used anymore". They obviously ARE still the most used way of storage. Let it be home or enterprise.

I will jump into it, I feel frisky and cocky. You said they "aren't much used anymore", which is incorrect if we are to believe bta's sources, which I think we should.

J

John Doe

I will jump into it, I feel frisky and cocky. You said they "aren't much used anymore", which is incorrect if we are to believe bta's sources, which I think we should.

No, I said, they aren't "much use" anymore. Not used. Under high input/output conditions since SSD's are superior in that case.