• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noises About Radeon HD 7900 Series with XDR2 Memory Grow

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Reason GDDR5 is used is because it can get more data thruput over a 256bit bus and still be cheaper than GDDR3 or DDR3 over a 512bit bus.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
So what’s Rod Dhat Solution Marketing Manager for RAMBUS using? How do you know who is or who’s not making chips? Then why did AMD seemingly start branding Radeon memory that might have been Hyundai (Hynix)? Your entire dither presents the dumbest argument. You're saying a company like AMD can’t find somewhere/someone to make R&D samples and production? ...wow is your thinking that pathetic! :wtf:

AMD making rebranded memory is not the same as someone instantly making a new type of memory, verifying it, and then producing it. That takes months. Yet it's the fact that no one is sampling XDR2 memory and launch is in 2 months. It's not a question of if, but a realization of the impossible. If you want more reading go over to the S|A or Beyond 3D forums. The people who are in the industry always laugh when this rumor comes up since it is impossible.

If you want more reading see Digitimes. Yes it is old, but it shows how much Rambus pissed off the only people that can make their memory. Rambus makes nothing except IP.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
GloFo is partnered with Rambus, FYI. GloFo gave them an award for some innovation of SoC designs:

http://www.rambus.com/in/news/press_releases/2011/110830.html

They(Rambus) are already using GloFo's 28nm-SLP process.

Wouldn't be hard to beleive that XDR2 would come out of GloFo, considering they are already working together on 28nm designs. And if the specs are true, it would be killer for AMD to have exclusive partnership rights to the design and manufacturing process of XDR2, leaving nVidia left with "older" technologies.

•Rambus, for its high-speed low-power next-generation memory technologies developed on GlobalFoundries’ 28nm-SLP technology.

http://semimd.com/blog/tag/rambus/

So there's your memory foundry producer, connected directly to AMD, even.

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110i Icue Push/Pull
Memory G Skill TridentZ F4-3600C16-16GTZNC 64GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 M.2 PCIe NVME
Display(s) AOC CU34G2X 34" Curved UltraWide QHD 3440x1440, VA Panel, 1ms 144MHz
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mesh
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1
Software Windows 11 Pro
GloFo is partnered with Rambus, FYI. GloFo gave them an award for some innovation of SoC designs:

Wouldn't be hard to beleive that XDR2 would come out of GloFo, considering they are already working together on 28nm designs. And if the specs are true, it would be killer for AMD to have exclusive partnership rights to the design and manufacturing process of XDR2, leaving nVidia left with "older" technologies.

Now that is very interesting news... :toast:

Ok now I am selling my XFX HD-695A-CNFC AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB :D

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I dunno that it's interesting, really. Just wanted to highlight tht these rumours didn't come out of nothing, and the comments that noone is making XDR2 might be unfounded. Fact fo the matter is that Rambus does already have a foundry partner in GloFo, and are already working with current lithography technologies.

That doesn't mean that this rumour has any merit to it at all...but the fact it persists is based on the truth that it is very very possible.

I wouldn't get rid of those cards just yet. We have word mobile parts are coming in December(not that that is anything new), and high performance desktop parts were always expected next spring. Still got the winter to deal with!

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Volumes are a non-issue. Rambus already has biggies like Elpida mass producing XDR chips for Playstation.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Case CM HAF 932
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Anyone want to put money on this?

No one is sampling XDR2. How do you go from no one sampling to full swing production in 2 months? What does an agreement between GF and Rambus have to do with the fact of no XDR2 samples? Even that PR has nothing to do with XDR2 or sampling of such memory.

Not even considering that AMD is probably already been in full swing production on 79xx parts. Which means that they've already decided what memory they are going to be using for the parts.

Volumes are a non-issue. Rambus already has biggies like Elpida mass producing XDR chips for Playstation.

XDR is not XDR2. I know your trying to point out that the volume capabilities are there. I'm just pointing out the obvious (to me at least). The fact of no XDR2 samples.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Anyone want to put money on this?

No one is sampling XDR2. How do you go from no one sampling to full swing production in 2 months? What does an agreement between GF and Rambus have to do with the fact of no XDR2 samples? Even that PR has nothing to do with XDR2 or sampling of such memory.

Not even considering that AMD is probably already been in full swing production on 79xx parts. Which means that they've already decided what memory they are going to be using for the parts.

XDR is not XDR2. I know your trying to point out that the volume capabilities are there. I'm just pointing out the obvious (to me at least). The fact of no XDR2 samples.

I dunno, I read this as NOT XDR used in the PS3:

•Rambus, for its high-speed low-power next-generation memory technologies developed on GlobalFoundries’ 28nm-SLP technology.

You have no idea(nor do I for that matter) bout who is sampling what behind closed doors. Just like noone really knew I was going to be doing reviews for TPU, MONTHS before my first review was posted. A few people did, but the majority of the TPU membership had NO idea. Likewise, Rambus is working on SOMETHING using GLoFo's 28m-SLP process, and their designs must have worked, or they fixed an issue for GloFo, and hence the award theey received from GloFo. BTW, XDR is considered to be using a LOW SPEED serial bus.

All I can think is how everyone was so sure of BD release dates, that went, and then they were sure of the next...but nothing ever came of it, for months and months.

That said, of course this could be false. Hence the word "rumour" attached to it. I don't see why you are getting so worked up about it...

Myself, I cannot deny the possibility that GloFo has been producing XDR2 since August, 2 months ago.

Also, I do not expect the cards that will use this memory until the end of April, next year. That's 5 months out yet, and plenty of time for stuff to eb out, and sampled.

Just becuase you think(or have confirmed via a board partner) there are no samples, doesn't mean that there is none...just perhaps NDAs are so tight that noone is willing to talk about it.

It is Rambus, after all. If I was AMD, I'd want to keep it under wraps until I was confident that it was a "sure thing". And in this industry, nothing is a "sure thing" until it launches, and users can buy it. But that announcement from GloFo about some next-gen memory design on 28nm is confirmation enough that GloFo is producing samples of SOMETHING for Rambus.

As far as I am concerned, the FX-8150 is a myth, as is the boxed version that is supposed to come with a watercooler. I cannot buy either, so they don't exist. So I really do understand your opinion here. I just don't agree.

I don't think it's even likely, like you do not. But i cannot deny that it's possible. Show me EXACTLY what GloFo is produsing for Rambus, and I might be more skeptical.

Last edited:
System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Case CM HAF 932
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
I dunno, I read this as NOT XDR used in the PS3:

You have no idea(nor do I for that matter) bout who is sampling what behind closed doors. Just like noone really knew I was going to be doing reviews for TPU, MONTHS before my first review was posted. A few people did, but the majority of the TPU membership had NO idea. Likewise, Rambus is working on SOMETHING using GLoFo's 28m-SLP process, and their designs must have worked, or they fixed an issue for GloFo, and hence the award theey received from GloFo. BTW, XDR is considered to be using a LOW SPEED serial bus.

All I can think is how everyone was so sure of BD release dates, that went, and then they were sure of the next...but nothing ever came of it, for months and months.

That said, of course this could be false. Hence the word "rumour" attached to it. I don't see why you are getting so worked up about it...

Myself, I cannot deny the possibility that GloFo has been producing XDR2 since August, 2 months ago.

Also, I do not expect the cards that will use this memory until the end of April, next year. That's 5 months out yet, and plenty of time for stuff to eb out, and sampled.

Just becuase you think(or have confirmed via a board partner) there are no samples, doesn't mean that there is none...just perhaps NDAs are so tight that noone is willing to talk about it.

It is Rambus, after all. If I was AMD, I'd want to keep it under wraps until I was confident that it was a "sure thing". And in this industry, nothing is a "sure thing" until it launches, and users can buy it. But that announcement from GloFo about some next-gen memory design on 28nm is confirmation enough that GloFo is producing samples of SOMETHING for Rambus.

As far as I am concerned, the FX-8150 is a myth, as is the boxed version that is supposed to come with a watercooler. I cannot buy either, so they don't exist. So I really do understand your opinion here. I just don't agree.

I don't think it's even likely, like you do not. But i cannot deny that it's possible. Show me EXACTLY what GloFo is produsing for Rambus, and I might be more skeptical.

Your absolutely right I do not know anything about sampling XDR2. Though when everyone on the S|A and B3D forums is saying it is fake and the same ones have been right times before, I've got no reason to believe this XDR2 nonsense. Especially those who are in the industry on those forums and they are saying the same thing.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Especially those who are in the industry on those forums and they are saying the same thing.

You mean the same people who said BD was going to be awesome, and that it was launching in September? :laugh:

I chose to beleive NOONE, and will wait for AMD to actually confirm before I beleive it's true, myself, but, as I said, it does seem possible.

And frankly, if someone in the industry comments on unreleased products, they don't know shit. NDAs ensure that those who talk about stuff are usually full of it. And you can guaranttee that the info stream from AMD on unreleased stuff is going to dry right up now that they have let go of some many people in the wake of the BD launch.

Then again, the same applies to this rumour. Personally, I think this all spawned from that award GloFo gave Rambus. Like, nearly everything usees ram, including cell phones and stuff, so Rambus could be pushing out nearly anything from GLoFo.

It just bugs me that noone knows what those products actually are, so I must remain willing to accept that it COULD be VGA ram. But I'm just as skeptical as you are...

I want to see AMD innovate. Perhaps using XDR2 could change things a bit.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro

Read up a little on XDR2. It's pin-compatible with XDR (so also bump-compatible on the dies), and achieving higher densities is just a fab-process function. Elpida and Samsung already have the fab-processes with which they make 2 Gb GDDR5 chips. For them to make XDR2 in high volumes is as simple as a specifications change.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Amd did innovate with Gddr 4 and 5 5 was very innovative cuz it could output more over a 256 bit bus vs the 512 bit bus.
You mean the same people who said BD was going to be awesome, and that it was launching in September? :laugh:

I chose to beleive NOONE, and will wait for AMD to actually confirm before I beleive it's true, myself, but, as I said, it does seem possible.

And frankly, if someone in the industry comments on unreleased products, they don't know shit. NDAs ensure that those who talk about stuff are usually full of it. And you can guaranttee that the info stream from AMD on unreleased stuff is going to dry right up now that they have let go of some many people in the wake of the BD launch.

Then again, the same applies to this rumour. Personally, I think this all spawned from that award GloFo gave Rambus. Like, nearly everything usees ram, including cell phones and stuff, so Rambus could be pushing out nearly anything from GLoFo.

It just bugs me that noone knows what those products actually are, so I must remain willing to accept that it COULD be VGA ram. But I'm just as skeptical as you are...

I want to see AMD innovate. Perhaps using XDR2 could change things a bit.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Amd did innovate with Gddr 4 and 5 5 was very innovative cuz it could output more over a 256 bit bus vs the 512 bit bus.

I agree, but I'd like to see them continue to innovate. And since they have innovated on the memroy front so often, it kinda makes sense for them to go with XDR2 if possible.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Case CM HAF 932
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+

No. They were saying that the September rumor for BD was wrong. They were saying it for a long time too.