• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Bulldozer Beats Politicians As The Biggest Fail

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Bulldozer costed me Asus Crosshair V Formula for NOTHING :-|

You have two options:
  • Sell the board for a $50-ish loss (from the price you bought it for, there are plenty of people who'd want a good-as-new CVFmla for that much less), buy a cheap Z68 board + add $250 for a Core i7 2600K
  • Pay $250 for the FX-8150

System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
with the proper compiler, the BD is upto 30% faster than it's stock situation @ http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=open64_50_bulldozer

IIt got a 30% boost in 2/3 tests in SciMark alone, and in most other programs didn't break a 5% gain. I see no reason to get excited and claim BD is just poorly optimized when from the get-go it was mostly poorly DESIGNED

I'm happy with my FX6100 (especially at the price tag of $100 bucks).

I have 6 cores at 4.5Ghz with 1.45 volts.

Compared to my Phenom 965 which was quad core at 4.0ghz with 1.475 volts maxed out.

Nobody felt obligated to point this out to you, but that's not really true. You have 6 Modules, across 3 Cores. You can only move 1 thread at a time through each CORE, but at the same time have 1 thread at a time in each Module. Basically, you have a tri-core with hyper-threading deluxe edition. On heavily threaded tasks you should see a performance gain, but very few games use more than 4 threads, so odds are the Phenom II would perform better at the same clock than that FX given it's greater per-thread performance. Of course on things like Encoding the FX will definitely do better.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Yeah, for sure. But I feel that nVidia is in a more precarious position than AMD is. The current talk of ARM and Windows is the one thing that might save nVidia. Nvidia working with ARM designs is probably a big part of the reason there is such a push for those designs, even, and probably why we keep hearing about them. For nVidia to succeed...ARM needs to be recognized by consumers.

AMD bought ATi, as the integration of CPU and GPU into the same silicon was inevitable. If they had not made the move when they did, current FM1 chips wouldn't be as good as they are now. Those chips...are fantastic. But there's no real marketing of the FM1 platform, because board partner profits seem low within that platform.

The "percieved" failure of AMD isn't a failure at all..but merely the tough time between transitioning the company's focus from being a CPU-focused brand, to a homogenous computing brand. Of course the CPU side of things is going to suffer...that's what needs to make the greatest changes. That fact that this is ignored quite often is shocking, to say the least.

Although BD in the desktop space seem like a bad product, it's actually far more exciting than most think; it only seems bad because consumers(enthusiast sites) perceive AMD as a CPU company..which they are not.

I mean, I've said time and agian that nVidia is NOT a hardware comany...that they are a software company, that just happens to make some hardware too. Of course, I got that from nVidia's CEO making a speech...

Likewise, AMD is not a CPU company. AMD's only failure is educating their consumers on that change, as nVidia has failed to distingish themselves as a software-focused company.

I don't see why that's a big deal...or why it makes Intel better than AMD. They aren't even in direct competition with each other. Marketing would like you to think so, but truly, each has their own separate markets, and each excels in meeting that markets needs.

Desperate fanboy nonsenses. AMD failed and you can't admit facts without mentioning Nvidia?

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Desperate fanboy nonsenses. AMD failed and you can't admit facts without mentioning Nvidia?

smh, so many Intel fanboys spew nonsense and for what reason?

ok, so Intel is doing great. they have great cpus and good SSDs and are making a lot of money...

but who the hell are you to say that AMD fails when they are a widely recognized industry leader in many markets. some of their products perform the best in their respective market

just because they havent had the fastest cpu for years doesnt constitute failure... that is just one product. the problem lies in your head because you have attached AMD as soley a cpu company

using your logic I could say that Intel is an epic failure because they have NEVER been able to create jack shit for graphics!

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
using your logic I could say that Intel is an epic failure because they have NEVER been able to create jack shit for graphics!

intel is selling more graphics than anyone else on the planet, and they make more money with it than all the remaining "players" combined

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
they are a widely recognized industry leader in many markets. some of their products perform the best in their respective market

just because they havethnt had the fastest cpu for years doesnt constitute failure... at is just one product. the problem lies in your head because you have attached AMD as soley a cpu company

So AMD isn't CPU company?

Maybe because Intel is CPU company?

Yes, I am an ATi fanboy. Have stated that many times. But ATi doesn't exist any more.

If you look between the lines, I am insinuating that nVidia is the main force behind the push to ARM, and all the chatter about it. As a major player in the market with no CPU, they stand to benfit the most from ARM getting used in Windows.

Of course, admitting FACTS is a good thing...mention of nVidia is bad? We have but 3 major silicon players...Intel, AMD, and nVidia. Very few others make silicon that is used in nearly every PC, except those three, so yes, it's hard to talk about CPU/GPU designs without mentioning nVidia.

Why is that a bad thing? I don't get it. I like to talk about everyone that may have some affect in things like this...ignoring such a large part of the industry seems foolish, as nVidia does weigh in on this subject, quite specifically so, when talking about CPU designs.

I mean, you can say I am biased all you like...I will never deny that. But because I am very open with my bias, it's not an issue...you simply need to consider that bias when reading my comments. I'm not some emotion-less machine that has no personal feelings, and to deny those feelings is asinine.

Well, now I understood. :toast:

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave

Yes, I am an ATi fanboy. Have stated that many times. But ATi doesn't exist any more.

If you look between the lines, I am insinuating that nVidia is the main force behind the push to ARM, and all the chatter about it. As a major player in the market with no CPU, they stand to benfit the most from ARM getting used in Windows.

Of course, admitting FACTS is a good thing...mention of nVidia is bad? We have but 3 major silicon players...Intel, AMD, and nVidia. Very few others make silicon that is used in nearly every PC, except those three, so yes, it's hard to talk about CPU/GPU designs without mentioning nVidia.

Why is that a bad thing? I don't get it. I like to talk about everyone that may have some affect in things like this...ignoring such a large part of the industry seems foolish, as nVidia does weigh in on this subject, quite specifically so, when talking about CPU designs.

I mean, you can say I am biased all you like...I will never deny that. But because I am very open with my bias, it's not an issue...you simply need to consider that bias when reading my comments. I'm not some emotion-less machine that has no personal feelings, and to deny those feelings is asinine.

intel is selling more graphics than anyone else on the planet, and they make more money with it than all the remaining "players" combined

Intel basically owns the entire industry. they are THE major force in nearly every market they have products in, and nearly everyone else marches to the beat of their drum.

Not 100%, no. They also make GPUs and chipsets. It's a weird mix not seen elsewhere in the same ratios, and kinda explains why they are having issues. They need to switch focus.

Last edited:

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
http://s4.postimage.org/1gtp3vup0/grin.gif

Maybe because Intel is CPU company?

idk this, you are really trolling sometimes :slap:

AMD merged with ATI sometimes back, there offices and CEO's manage both video cards and processors. They release platforms via graphics, and processors, and chipset and code-name them.

There not considered to be only a CPU company. Other then the entire bulldozer architecture low performance and disappointment, everything else they have released has been great sense 07-08. People are still running llano CPU's. amd apu's were also a good release for there side.

Intel is also not just a cpu company either, they manufacture Motherboards, CPU's, SSD's. They fail in there own aspects, their greedy, real greedy sometimes. They have never released anything with price in consideration, that being said, the competition is usually slower by minimal percent. Not talking Pentium or value CPU's, a genuine high end model out priced compared to the competition which performs with 90+% of there product.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor

I can assure you that their graphics arent being sold because of their merit

it quite simply is because they are bundled in a product that uses their own cpu

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I can assure you that their graphics arent being sold because of their merit

it quite simply is because they are bundled in a product that uses their own cpu

And for most users that is perfect.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
And for most users that is perfect.

yes, it is- but so is AMD's solutions for those same users

one of AMD's problems is that Intel has far greater mindshare

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
yes, it is- but so is AMD's solutions for those same users

one of AMD's problems is that Intel has far greater mindshare

Ill tell you this, when I was working at my local tech shop in my valley.
My boss would tell me and I would notice that people are really all about the name.

He would not stock much AMD product simply because the people did not approve of the name, tons of customers would always head to "Intel" which we stocked in store much more often basically because of the name.

Intel really does have more mind share, and the more commercials and advertising released, the more AMD needs to push to compete with that.

Intel sounds better to the average ipod smart person then AMD does, still to this day.

But with AMD on the console game, and on Mac's there eventually might be some leveling in quality and appeal to the norm of customers.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
Ill tell you this, when I was working at my local tech shop in my valley.
My boss would tell me and I would notice that people are really all about the name.

He would not stock much AMD product simply because the people did not approve of the name, tons of customers would always head to "Intel" which we stocked in store much more often basically because of the name.

Intel really does have more mind share, and the more commercials and advertising released, the more AMD needs to push to compete with that.

Intel sounds better to the average ipod smart person then AMD does, still to this day.

But with AMD on the console game, and on Mac's there eventually might be some leveling in quality and appeal to the norm of customers.

You know......I've never seen an amd comercial.......ever. is it just me or they never made one.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Even if every AMD bulldozer chip blow up on use it would not beat Politicians BS.. Anyone who thinks other wise must live in the middle of no were.

System Name Negra5
Processor i5 6500
Motherboard ASUS Z170M-Plus
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Memory Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) PNY GTX-1070, XFX RX480
Storage Gigabyte 256GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD, WD 4TB HDD.
Display(s) SAMSUNG 32" FullHD
Case GAMING EAGLE WARRIOR CG-06R1
Audio Device(s) nVidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair GS800W 80 Plus Bronze
Mouse Cooler Master Devastator MS2k
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator MB24
Software Windows 10 20H2
Benchmark Scores Pfft
Just give me a damn PhenomII for AM3 with 8 cores on 28nm Clocked to 4.5ghz and i am happy as hell, keep that Bulldozer shit away from my wallet.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
I can forgive AMD for failing occasionally. Maybe their latest BD offerings weren't up to the expectations but AMD still has a good portafolio of products, beginning with Sempron 140 all the way up to a Phenom X6.

I can't forgive Intel for failing, not even once, they've got everything to make things right from the beginning, huge resources, great engineering team, marketing dominance, etc. Still they may fail, they did with the SB chipset bug, but they fixed it on time. Still don't know why they don't put bigger efforts on the GPU side, but I can conclude they don't care/don't need, or they try but they just aren't good at it, despite latest improvements over here and there.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
I can forgive AMD for failing occasionally. Maybe their latest BD offerings weren't up to the expectations but AMD still has a good portafolio of products, beginning with Sempron 140 all the way up to a Phenom X6.

I can't forgive Intel for failing, not even once, they've got everything to make things right from the beginning, huge resources, great engineering team, marketing dominance, etc. Still they may fail, they did with the SB chipset bug, but they fixed it on time. Still don't know why they don't put bigger efforts on the GPU side, but I can conclude they don't care/don't need, or they try but they just aren't good at it, despite latest improvements over here and there.

Yes gpu wise intel. Sorta kinda stink...but they're working on it compute gpus showing some promise.....I think nvdia + intel = awesome squared