• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

iPhone or Android recommendations

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Work is upgrading my REALLY old (sarcasm) Blackberry Torch and have given me the option of an iPhone (I assume 4s) or an Android one, now my personal phone is an HTC Wildfire which is Android though I know they have come on leaps and bounds since then in power and resolution, it will come as no surprise that I really don't like Apple and have refused to buy into the whole iPhone/iPad thing since it became a fashion accessory and is just bought by sheep, so I want to know what are the "in" Android phones? would like something with a large screen, good resolution and decent CPU, am really out of touch with mobiles so any help would be appreciatted.

Darkgundam111

Processor QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 940, 3500 MHz
Motherboard Biostar TA790GX XE
Cooling fans and hs
Memory CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 800mhz 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 460 [retired -> XFX 8600 GTS (931/1917/2300)
Storage OCZ Vertex LE
Display(s) Acer G235H
Case Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Audio Device(s) motherboard built in
Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W
Software windows 7 ultimate 64
The new android phones are quite nice and speedy but then imo the iphone still has the most extensive app store which is great for finding something you might need to use or just to burn time. the only problem with the 4s is people have been having issues with the battery draining rather quickly and also the iphone 4s is not jailbroken yet if that matters to you (jailbroken is for more customization to the iphone). From my experience tho, the iphones never seem to have any real big issues in terms of usage whereas the android phones I used to have were a bit sluggish over time and sometimes even buggy to the point where it was annoying. However, the new android phones do look promising but I haven't found a need to switch over to them. Ultimately I would go with the iphone cuz thats what I have had good experience with overall (even tho I know it sounds like jumping onto the apple train, but hey whatever works, I dont get any of their macs).

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I would say android, The feel of it is much more of iphone feel. It is more wide open sourced OS. The OS is used in many phone makers instead of just Apple.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Get the iPhone. Especially if you're getting it free, it costs the most money.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Did you pay for your apps on the droid if any or at all?

If you get a droid you can use all the apps you paid for and all your numbers and stuff will be saved via your gmail.

If you switch to an iPhone you will have to buy all your apps again (assuming you paid for them), make a new account, agree to new (Dictator like) terms and be full of restrictions.

Funny story.

My cousins iphone 4s unwillingly changed screen resolution on her so not everything would fit on the screen. So consequently she couln't unlock her phone thus do anything at all. She turned to me and asked for help in which I said Why don't you just pull the battery out? She turned and looked at me with this expression of "How dare you..." and disbelief.

So I replied oh my bad I forgot you can't do that with an iphone.

And she hit me.

Last edited:
Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Even though I also do not like Apple and what they represent, I am suggesting getting the iPhone. Just because it's free and you personally are not supporting them (unless you buy their apps). Not to mention your company is going to be picking up the check each month on the line, so I would say give it a try, who knows, you might end up turning into a sheep and loving it :laugh:

My cousins iphone 4s unwillingly changed screen resolution on her so not everything would fit on the screen. So consequently she couln't unlock her phone thus do anything at all. She turned to me and asked for help in which I said Why don't you just pull the battery out? She turned and looked at me with this expression of "How dare you..." and disbelief.

And she hit me.

That was pretty funny :laugh:

IlluminAce

System Name Ace2
Processor Intel i7 2600
Motherboard ASRock Extreme4 Gen3
Cooling Zalman CNPS10x Extreme
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4x4)
Video Card(s) Asus HD 6970 DirectCUII
Storage 4x Samsung 1TB 7.2krpm
Display(s) 1x 24" 16:10, 1x 20" 16:10, 3x 19" 5:4
Case Fractal Design R3
Audio Device(s) TBD
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Debian dom0 (on Xen hypervisor)
To summarise, half the people will say the iPhone - it's slightly more "user-friendly" - and half will say Android - it's more open, ethical and "free" (in Stallman's freedom-not-beer sense).

I'm part of the group that generally recommends Android. I dislike being told what I can and can't do with my own products, and don't particuarly approve of Apple's armies of lawyers chasing their competitors around brandishing armfuls of worthless patents, trying to force them to stop selling perfectly legal products.

As for the phone itself, that's personal preference. Go to a phone shop and try them all out - because everyone here will make good points for and against. "This one is lighter", "this has more apps", "that one only has v2.2" etc, but until you go and try them out you won't know exactly which points matter to you the most :)

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813

And she hit me.

Wait, you cant take the battery out?

I actually said my boss was being cruel cause I said I wuld never buy an iPhone, but giving me this choice I wont be buying one, that said I wont be able to jailbrake as its a work phone and wont be able to buy apps so only free ones for me, iPhone recommenders still say iPhone despite that?

System Name White Phantom
Processor i5 2500K @ 4.4ghz = 1.360-1.368 vcore
Motherboard asrock p67 pro (not pro3)
Cooling prolimatech megahalem with 2x nocuta in push pull (thanks to the 54thvoid) ;) , stock phantom fans
Memory 16gb Kingston hyper x ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Asus strix 970 ocd 1.5ghz core
Storage 240gb ssd , 1tb Western digital Black, western digital 320gb
Display(s) samsung syncmaster p2450 via DVI @1080p 60hz
Case White and blue NZXT Phantom (carbon fibred sides/door)
Audio Device(s) onboard , philips AMBX pro speakers 80watts rms
Power Supply Xfx750
Mouse Rat 3
Keyboard Act cheapo "gaming"
Software windows 10
Benchmark Scores world record for most amount of times machine has pissed me off ....
Wait, you cant take the battery out?

I actually said my boss was being cruel cause I said I wuld never buy an iPhone, but giving me this choice I wont be buying one, that said I wont be able to jailbrake as its a work phone and wont be able to buy apps so only free ones for me, iPhone recommenders still say iPhone despite that?

i'd say if possible get the galaxy s2 great phone and extremely nippy plus you dont want to be a apple slave and stuck ina walled garden of what you can and cannot do with the phone, on android you don't even have to jailbreak the phone to get apps just google search them and install simple defo the android side of things 120million percent

p.s i have owned both and never again apple products

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I'm going to switch my recommendation because of the battery thing and the fact that you can't jailbreak it. So I turn back to my roots. ANDROID!!!

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
go to the store and try them first, but I would say android as its more open than iphone, and apps are cheaper on the market.

but a good bit of the big name apps on iphone are on android also now,

make sure you research what GPU the phones have too, they are important and underlooked

Processor A10-7850k
Motherboard MSI A88X-G43
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x4 Gskill PC3 1600
Video Card(s) MSI R9 270
Storage 120gb ssd / 640 gb hd
Display(s) Acer 24in
i have the motorola droid x2 and love it. i would go android.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard Gigabyte AB350 GAMING 3
Memory 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
I am going to get a Droid Razr in a couple minutes. I will do a little mini review if your still in the market. Who is your work service provider? I think the Droidi Razr is Verizon Wireless only (Idk if there are hacks to open it up)

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Samsung Galaxy S2, I have more friends with that phone than all of the iPhone (3GS,4,4S) combined. All of them recommended me get it rather than continue to use a dumb phone.

Edit: If work does not offer you a dual core Android phone, you might as well get an iPhone 4(S). That phone is quite polished and end user experience is very good.

Last edited:
System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Android, as a pc enthusiast you probably like customisation and fiddling with stuff.

Even non rooted Android is brilliant for fiddling!

Lots of different launchers/dialers/contacts lists/widgets/lock screens/ other UI additions/changes to download.

+ Apps! Most Apps on Android are free as well and the number of app in the market is rapidly catching up to the App store.

But having said that I am massively biased lol

JustaTinkerer

System Name Just need to tidy it up now
Processor FX-8120
Motherboard Asus M5A99X EVO 990X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 280 H2OC
Storage OCZ ocz vertex plus(60GB), 2TB hdd
Display(s) 1x ACER x19ws ( need new one)
Case Custom
Power Supply (GOT) OCZ GameXStream 1010 Watt
Software LOL
Benchmark Scores Soon, very very soon, just need to tidy it up.
Get the iPhone. Especially if you're getting it free, it costs the most money.

Not going to lie, this is great advice, that being said Im a PC :laugh:

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Not going to lie, this is great advice, that being said Im a PC :laugh:

He can't sell it it's a work phone.

Other wise I would say Iphone aswell, then I'd sell it to a suka and get myself a phone for £200-300 quid :laugh:

Processor Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Motherboard Asrock b550m riptide pd
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.Skill RGB DDR4 @ 3200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK319 RX 7800 XT 16gb
Storage 1x Hynix P31 1tb (os) 1x 4tb SP UD90
Display(s) 1x Acer Predator X34, 2x 13.3 mobile USBC wings
Case Jonsbo D31 mesh
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Corsair SF750w
Software Windows 11
Having owned both iOS and Android phones, and currently using a 4S, I think the iphones are still the better devices. I hated how splintered the Android app market is and how annoying it was to try and figure out if your device was supported properly as some apps required certain level of hardware, or designed for a certain resolution. The big names are generally very good about this but it's not always there. I also don't like how many different app stores exist on Android, makes it a nightmare to track down certain apps that were once listed on one and now on another.

My biggest fear with Android right now is security though. So many reports talking about Android being the biggest target, the least secure, or at least the most likely to impact the average user. It's scary to think that Google's lax policy could put your personal data, as well as your company's data, at risk just because they would rather have the stance as a more "free market" than what Apple offers. Perhaps Apple is too strict, but Google may also be too open in my opinion.

Android is getting better with each release, but you're still pretty much at the mercy of the carrier or handset maker as to when or if you'll ever see a version of android beyond what it ships with. I don't like that approach, especially because I still find some droid devices to feel so sluggish and that is often addressed with the newer releases being able to better utilize gpu accelerated menus and what not. Sure you can root it and run custom images but again, your work might not like that especially if you have to run any specific software assigned by them for what ever reason.

In terms of battery life, the iPhone 4 and 4S still rank among the best on the market. Some metrics trade blows but for web browsing as an example, the 4/4S has a steady 3 hour+ lead over its nearest competitor. 3G talk time there are several Android phones that get better life, and if one of the ones offered to you is among them then I'd weigh how important that is to your usage. The battery bug on the 4S is somewhat strange because I own 2x 4S iPhones and while my white one gets exceptionally good battery life - just as good as my iphone 4 did, the black one I originally purchased (now used by my mom) is effected by the bug even with the 5.0.1 update. It means she has the charge the phone every day and it is quite bothersome. So heres hoping for a fix, luckily as a dev I can get easy access to the beta updates and will hopefully get a fix soon for her. Also...anyone who says you can't remove the battery on an iphone is just...well...flat out wrong.

Removing and replacing the Iphone 4/4S battery is as simple as can be. You remove 2x Pentalobe (3.6mm) screws that are down at the dock connector, push the rear panel up (towards the top), and the panel slides and pops out of place. From there you remove 2x small screws that hold the battery connector to the logic board, pop the contact off the terminal, then pop out the battery. Sure it takes a few minutes, but its hardly a nightmare...especially to anyone who has ever done something as complicated as...oh i dont know...building a pc? Easy as Apple-Pie with the ifixit guides. Replacement battery is only $30 if not less. So really, it's an extra few minutes compared to popping off a plastic panel and yanking out the battery. The tools are easy to find and usually come with the battery as a kit anyway.

Android still gives you lots of non-rooted configuration options as pantherx12 points out, but frankly I only see that as needed because google refuses to put any real polish on their devices. Maybe their solution of "let someone else fix it" works for people willing to do the research and test a hundred different keyboards and colors and what not, but for me...I like the Apple keyboard as it is and don't care to replace it. Looks great, works great, nuff said in my book. But you don't get the option of using Swype or any of those other neat new methods, which is a real shame.

I still vote Apple, but since I have a backlog of iOS apps from my previous iphones and ipads it's easy for me to see the value in sticking with Apple.

Go get a NOKIA (N8 or newer), it's a a PHONE with more than enough "appz", much sturdier and classy 8)

It has Exchange connect and what not, plus an amazing camara!

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
If i had opportunity to get iphone for free i would take it any day.
Android phones technically are better than iphone due to there hardware specifications,also you can customise and there is actually more free apps on androids compared to apple iphone.
But people will get iphone because they hold a better value in my opinion,also developers are huge on iphone compared to android,android will catch up eventually though. But Apple has apps and UI that interest a lot of people.
I moved from my Blackberry torch to an iphone 3gs which had better specs but the iphone felt 10x better just because i like the design of each app and the choice of apps are endless compared to blackberry which has limited apps and much more expensive.

All comes down to preference really,what you want.
Customisable and higher end hardware built in or iphone with less customisable but with tons of apps and value.

Processor 2700x under H100i progeebee
Motherboard ASUS x470 prime
Cooling Fans
Memory gskill ripjaw 3200
Video Card(s) MSi Vega 64 ref
Storage 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2E SSD - 500Gb Games - 1.5tb Storage and Media
Case CM HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Win 10
Well you started a thread asking others what phone to get.... you like people telling you what to do....

Clearly you should get an iphone.

All kidding aside get a Galaxy s2. The best phone on the planet just waiting on Android 4 update. Hope Apple doesnt sue google because they released a "4.0" update first :eek:

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
android for sure
got thousand android phones and you just choose one that you want:D

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
would like something with a large screen, good resolution and decent CPU, am really out of touch with mobiles so any help would be appreciatted.

Samsung Galaxy SII has all you need.

I would go with a Nokia N9 though, if you can find it. Or consider a Windows Phone.

But the iPhone is seriously good too. That "only bought by sheep" comment is just ignorance.

specks

System Name Spreadsheet powerhouse
Processor Two P4s glued together
Motherboard Asus P5KPL-AM EPU
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper TX3
Memory 2gb (2x1gb) Kingston Value Ram DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4670 1gb GDDR3 w/ Arctic Cooling Accelero L7
Storage 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
Display(s) Philips 191EL 18.5"
Case Thermaltake V4 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 600W
Software WinXp
I'm with erocker. Get the iPhone.

JustaTinkerer

System Name Just need to tidy it up now
Processor FX-8120
Motherboard Asus M5A99X EVO 990X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 280 H2OC
Storage OCZ ocz vertex plus(60GB), 2TB hdd
Display(s) 1x ACER x19ws ( need new one)
Case Custom
Power Supply (GOT) OCZ GameXStream 1010 Watt
Software LOL
Benchmark Scores Soon, very very soon, just need to tidy it up.
He can't sell it it's a work phone.

Other wise I would say Iphone aswell, then I'd sell it to a suka and get myself a phone for £200-300 quid :laugh:

Not about selling it, who wouldn't want the most expensive gadgets to play with?