• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hardware idiot looking for advice on a build.

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Memory 16Gb Adata Spectrix 3600 Cl18
Video Card(s) Palit GTX970 SLI
Storage Adata 512Gb SX8200 pro
Display(s) 3x 27" 1080p Lg's
Case Coolermaster 690 II pure black
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 750W Masterwatt
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
Maddeningly, Photoshop CS5 still does not support any native CUDA-accelerated functions, leaving us in the same boat as After Effects...until we realized that some plug-ins for Photoshop actually use CUDA. Sweet! When we found Digital Anarchy’s Beauty Box Photo plug-in, it was love at first sight.

Also taken from the same source. Opening paragraph in fact.

The vanilla CS5 without extra plugins doesn't use CUDA.

The situational use of plugins that do use CUDA means the feature is nigh on worthless. If PS released a statement to say they were going to implement it in CS6 then all workstations would be on Nvidia. As it stands unless your doing specific things that take the CUDA programming into consideration then it's just a pretty feature.

If you had a use for the plugin and used it on a regular basis. for example a beauty/fashon photographer then it's great. But for normal PS work with any image you'll spend more time looking for plugins that take advantage of the feature than you will loose on waiting for the render to finish.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
For what the OP wants to do I would suggest 16Gigs of ram instead of just 8Gigs. I know of someone who's doing the same trade and needed more then 8 Gigs in the long run. He went with 12Gigs. But in order to keep dual memory channel it's just easier to get 8x8 Gigs.

Lucid

I really don'tuse much in the way of plugins. A few on occasion, but nothing intense. I'm still using CS2 at the moment.

System Name Little Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz
Motherboard Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Supertalent 4GB (2*2GB) 8-8-8-24 @1600MHz
Video Card(s) X.F.X. AMD Radeon HD 5750 (@845/1375 MHz)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12 SATA II
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 633NW 15"
Case Thermaltake WingRS 301
Audio Device(s) Integrated in Mobo
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 430 Watts
Software Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bits
+1 to Core i7 2600k it will benefit a lot your Photoshop and heavy multi-threaded programs, if you just need to Multi-Monitor Nvidia graphics would require SLI or a very expensive multi-monitor solution, the best is going on AMD graphics card.

Please be more specific about gaming, if you gonna try Game in Multimonitor setup you'll need a BIG horsepower graphics card, in the other way you could even work at multi monitor with a very cheap solution like a 6750 or something. Like cadaveca said before, the sweet-spot for multi monitor is 2GB of VRam so there you have it.
Nice multi-monitor setup + gaming = Radeon HD 6950 2GB (Preferably FlexEdition)
Multi-monitor setup for just work or light gaming = AMD Radeon HD 6870 FlexEdition.

I recomed FlexEdition because you will be more relaxed assembling the PC on the outputs without buying more confusing stuff.

BTW 8Gb of RAM really makes a difference, my syster renders faster than me even with 8GB 1333Mhz and mine is 4Gb 1600MHz - 8CAS.

You won't need a big case like that unless you'r planing to get big components on it. Mid-Tower Cases will fit nicely the 6950 and can be crossfired too. (Cooler Master, Corsair and NZXT have the best cases IMO). CM 690 II Advanced it's nice and have a good price.

+1 To SSD for Cache of the HDD Like TRWOV said, it's gonna improve your rendering like day and night, but SSD cache of the HDD can only be used on Z68 chipset, that's why most of us recomend that chipset.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
Well if I was you here would be some stuff I would look at

If you want a full tower I would get the Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminu... by the way it has a combo deal to get the 800D and your 2TB Hard drive Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, L... Or you can get that case and get a deal on the I7 2600K Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, L...

If you want a more professional look I would get the Antec P280 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Last edited:

Lucid

+1 to Core i7 2600k it will benefit a lot your Photoshop and heavy multi-threaded programs, if you just need to Multi-Monitor Nvidia graphics would require SLI or a very expensive multi-monitor solution, the best is going on AMD graphics card.

Please be more specific about gaming, if you gonna try Game in Multimonitor setup you'll need a BIG horsepower graphics card, in the other way you could even work at multi monitor with a very cheap solution like a 6750 or something. Like cadaveca said before, the sweet-spot for multi monitor is 2GB of VRam so there you have it.
Nice multi-monitor setup + gaming = Radeon HD 6950 2GB (Preferably FlexEdition)
Multi-monitor setup for just work or light gaming = AMD Radeon HD 6870 FlexEdition.

I recomed FlexEdition because you will be more relaxed assembling the PC on the outputs without buying more confusing stuff.

BTW 8Gb of RAM really makes a difference, my syster renders faster than me even with 8GB 1333Mhz and mine is 4Gb 1600MHz - 8CAS.

You won't need a big case like that unless you'r planing to get big components on it. Mid-Tower Cases will fit nicely the 6950 and can be crossfired too. (Cooler Master, Corsair and NZXT have the best cases IMO). CM 690 II Advanced it's nice and have a good price.

+1 To SSD for Cache of the HDD Like TRWOV said, it's gonna improve your rendering like day and night, but SSD cache of the HDD can only be used on Z68 chipset, that's why most of us recomend that chipset.

I chose the big case, because really, no matter what I want to do in the future that case should be able to handleit all. One case, and I shouldn't have to look at another for the foreseeable future. At least that's how I'm looking at it.

If there's one part of my selections I'm confident on, it's my GPU. For thebalance of money and power I think it offers me everything I need. Realistically, I will probably never game on the box. I'm a console gamer til the end (awaiting the flurry of PC-gamer rage, lol)

Mobo/CPU I'm a little unsure on, but it's starting to sound like the i7 2600k might be the better choice.

RAM I suppose I can add as needed, but it's really not going to break the bank on me to load her up. I'll probably just go with 16gb of 1600mhz in the end.

I'm also looking at my options for getting an SSD in there, seems like the way to go from what everyone has said.

Thnx

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
@CJCerny

Neither did I say Max Gene Z was a proper choice either. What I am saying is get a board with stuff that the OP will use, P67 if no SRT, don't NEED SLI but it would be a plus, same can be said with the IGP of Z68.

Lucid

Looking for a few more opinions on whatbrand and size of SSD to go with, starting to re-piece together a parts list again.

The ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z really isn't out of my budget for the mobo at only $220 shipped, so I think I'll just go for it.

J

John Doe

You in no way need a Maximus or a 6870 if you aren't going to game or OC. I'd get the AsRock Extreme3 (which AsRock has hit the nail on) that was mentioned along with some cheap AMD GPU that has triple monitor output. You don't need an EyeFinity card for three panels

Lucid

This is roughly what I'm sitting at right now...

SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD SATA III 6GB/s MKNSSDCR120GB ASYNC 90000 IOPS SATA3

HDD: Western Digital WD2002FAEX Caviar Black 2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz RAM

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W 80+ Bronze

Case: Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower Case

MOBO: ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z Motherboard/LGA1155/Z68/SLI/CFX

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core LGA1155 3.4GHZ CPU

GPU: Visiontek Radeon HD 6870 2GB GDDR5 Eyefinity 6

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
sounds good but id deffinately hold out on purchasing a gpu at the min a month or 2 and itll be cheaper or better out for same money but mainly because ya never know just how mouthwaterin that next gpu out is and its nice to be on the edge , i got a 5870 day 1 was mint for at least 2 months just because it was the best you could get

and tomos is another day you may game with a better pc ayway

Lucid

You in no way need a Maximus or a 6870 if you aren't going to game or OC. I'd get the AsRock Extreme3 (which AsRock has hit the nail on) that was mentioned along with some cheap AMD GPU that has triple monitor output. You don't need an EyeFinity card for three panels

For the $40 I'll save on the motherboard, I don't wsee why going for the Maximus is a big deal. Might as well.

I see a lot of cheaper AI GPUs I could use to run three monitors, but which will handle what I want to do still with efficiency? I'm looking at 3 24" monitors, and it's got to keep up with photoshop and Premiere. That's all I really care.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
get the 6950. I have two, and three monitors, but I game. I photoshop, do a bit of html(or whatever it is I use for my reviews), but I also game and such.

I won't ever recommend AsRock boards until they send me samples. I have no idea about them, and there are mixed reports of customer satisfaction.

I recommend the ASUS Gene-Z becuase I have it sitting here in it's box.

My review is here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Maximus_IV_Gene-Z/

System Name Little Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz
Motherboard Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Supertalent 4GB (2*2GB) 8-8-8-24 @1600MHz
Video Card(s) X.F.X. AMD Radeon HD 5750 (@845/1375 MHz)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12 SATA II
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 633NW 15"
Case Thermaltake WingRS 301
Audio Device(s) Integrated in Mobo
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 430 Watts
Software Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bits
Counting on your considerations i think you could perfectly use this parts.
-Added Intel 2600K for Horsepower CPU
-Added Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 FlexEdition due to the fact it can connect Eyefinity without requirig extra cables and can support 5 Displays at the same time.
-Added Cooler Master H.A.F. 932 Advanced Model, it's very similar to the H.A.F. X, and can fit the longest Graphics Cards and a lot of Air Coolers without messing the airflow, plus this one is black on the inside and have USB 3.0.
-Motherboard is ASRock because of the features for the price, they work terrific and have the features of overclock and Intel Smart Response Tech at a great price. JrRacinFan it's right, Asus have Incredibly Great Overclocking features, if you plan to overclock in the feature with SLI/CFX feature, you should really look for the Maximus IV Gene-Z, if you don't this ASRock board will work great.
-16GBs of RAM 1600MHz CAS9; 1.5TB HDD + OCZ 60GB SSD For Cache; and Cooler Master 212+ for keeping the CPU cold or just in case you want to use the "K" of your CPU.

Seeing the SSD you chose i recomend to hold it back to 64GBs, that's the maximun allowed for ISR.

J

John Doe

This is roughly what I'm sitting at right now...

Look, if you're going to throw $220 on a mobo you don't need in any way, get the Asus WS Revo. It's much better than the Maximus Gene. Otherwise, pick up an AsRock Extreme3. If you aren't going to overclock or even game on that machine, then why are you getting an EyeFinity 6 card? Are you going for a 6 panel setup? No. Also, why the 750W PSU? You don't need that much for that setup. As pointed out in the thread title, you're going to waste your money idiotically if you don't listen to people's advise.

Lucid

sounds good but id deffinately hold out on purchasing a gpu at the min a month or 2 and itll be cheaper or better out for same money but mainly because ya never know just how mouthwaterin that next gpu out is and its nice to be on the edge , i got a 5870 day 1 was mint for at least 2 months just because it was the best you could get

and tomos is another day you may game with a better pc ayway

I'm not about to start worrying about whats just around the corner, there's always something bigger and better just around the corner when it comes to electronics. Took me 2 years to buy a new TV waiting for that bigger and better before I finally said screw it and went for one, lol. 2 Years I could have been happy with something completely satisfactory.

I ran an $800 Staples out of the box HP Pavillion for 4 years before the board caved up until recently. I'm sure whatever I build will last me plenty. and keep me good and happy along the way...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Look, if you're going to throw $220 on a mobo you don't need in any way, get the Asus WS Revo. It's much better than the Maximus Gene. Otherwise, pick up an AsRock Extreme3. If you aren't going to overclock or even game on that machine, then why are you getting an EyeFinity 6 card? Are you going for a 6 panel setup? No. Also, why the 750W PSU? You don't need that much for that setup. As pointed out in the thread title, you're going to waste your money idiotically if you don't listen to people's advise.

Gene-Z is 169.99 @ newegg:

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155

Not everyone is so concerned with saving money as you are, BTW. Sometimes colors of a board or slot layout are all it takes to make it worthwhile. Someone chosing something they like, for whatever reason, doesn't make them idiotic.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
np g your happy im happy(well not assed if honest):)

J

John Doe

Gene-Z is 169.99 @ newegg:

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155

Not everyone is so concerned with saving money as you are, BTW. Sometimes colors of a board or slto layout are all it takes to make it worthwhile.

So you're basically comfortable with suggesting the OP to throw away his money. lol. If we're to discuss about these things, the red-black color scheme of Asus is overused and crap IMO. You can get either of these two boards in that price range, both of which are superior. In fact, he doesn't need any of this if he isn't even going to OC at all. Irony.

ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PROFESSIONAL (B3) LGA 1155 Int...

MSI P67A-GD80 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s U...

Lucid

So you're basically comfortable with suggesting the OP to throw away his money. lol. If we're to discuss about these things, the red-black color scheme of Asus is overused and crap IMO. You can get either of these two boards in that price range, both of which are superior. In fact, he doesn't need any of this if he isn't even going to OC at all. Irony.

SO now we're back to the P67 chipset? i thought the consensus was leaning towards the Z68?

J

John Doe

SO now we're back to the P67 chipset? i thought the consensus was leaning towards the Z68?

You only get the option of an onboard SSD and video on Z68, which you don't need since you're already picking up one. Other than that, it's the exact same chipset as P67.

cadaveca

My name is Dave

Again, it's about BIOS, product quality, and product support. I won't recommend P67 to anyone at this point. For cheap Z68, single card, no OC, the Biostar Z68 gets my vote, as it's cheaper than both those boards you listed.

Again, here's my review for that board:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Biostar/TZ68A_PLUS/

Of course, I have the boards I recommend, so my recommendations always come from having personally used each product. If I don't have it, I don't recommend it.

;)

J

John Doe

Again, it's about BIOS, product quality, and product support. I won't recommend P67 to anyone at this point. For cheap Z68, single card, no OC, the Biostar Z68 gets my vote, as it's cheaper than both those boards you listed.

Of course, I have the boards I recommend, so my recommendations always come from having personally used each product. If I don't have it, I don't recommend it.

That's a completely absurd statement. Both the P67 and the Z68 are "Cougar Point". They're the same chipset, with one having the ability to have an onboard SSD (for cache) and onboard video.

The P67-GD80 has high current inductors and Tantalum caps, so it's obviously not "low quality". For a sober fact, it's the best built Sandy board out there. It has more slots. As for the P67 Fatal1ty, it again has a bunch of slots with an expander, comes with mouse port HZ management and a better UEFI than a Biostar. You suggest Biostar, yet ditch these boards? What kind of logic is that? The boards I test are good. The ones I didn't must be crap. Wow.

And you know, if you want me to show off (like you), here you go.