• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB - No output display

Status
Not open for further replies.

dat789

Hi techies!
Hoping to seek some advices here. First, thanks in advance for the welcome wishes :) Feel at home already.

I have installed the above graphics card to my system and been running for 3 days (since Wednesday). Updated its driver + installed Catalyst on Wednesday from its website and no changes since. Everything seems fine until this morning -- no display. Monitor says "No signal input"

I hope you can make something out of this. Before the new graphics card, I have the following:
  • 500W PSU
  • ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard (1 PCI-e slot)
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 500 GB SATA HDD
  • 500 GB SATA HDD
  • XFX nVIDIA GeFORCE 9800 GT 512 MB
  • Intel Core2 Duo E6600 @ 2.40GHz

These have been running without problems for over 2 years. I recognized that the HD4870 requires a minimum of 500W PSU, which I think is fine as I do have it. When I switch on my system this morning fans, lights, everything else is fine... just that the screen says "No input signal".

Connected display with laptop and it works. So here ruling out fault monitor.

Put back old graphic card (the GeFORCE 9800 GT). Nothing. Same message -- "No input signal".

I'm stucked. Help?

System Name Cannon
Processor Intel Core i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus Z690-P D4
Cooling Corsair H100i PRO XT w/ Corsair ML120 White LED x2
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual 8GB
Storage 1TB 980 Pro w/Heatsink + 500GB 970 Evo Plus NVMe + 2TB MX500 + 500GB 850 Evo
Display(s) 34” Dell S3422DWG 3440x1440 144hz Curved + 27" Dell U2713H IPS 1440p + Dell P2219H IPS 1080p
Case Corsair 4000X RGB - 3xSP120 ELITE RGB (Front Intake) + 1xML120 White LED (Rear Exhaust)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE + Logitech z623 2.1
Power Supply Corsair RM850x SHIFT
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 || Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores None. Primary uses are browsing, music, gaming (mostly Battlefield & Doom) and virtualization!
Welcome! Sounds like the cable or the monitor then? Do you have any access to other monitors or cables? If so, try them to confirm whether its the monitor or pc

JustaTinkerer

System Name Just need to tidy it up now
Processor FX-8120
Motherboard Asus M5A99X EVO 990X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 280 H2OC
Storage OCZ ocz vertex plus(60GB), 2TB hdd
Display(s) 1x ACER x19ws ( need new one)
Case Custom
Power Supply (GOT) OCZ GameXStream 1010 Watt
Software LOL
Benchmark Scores Soon, very very soon, just need to tidy it up.
Check the cable 1st but could be the PSU, the 1st place I would be looking anyway.

Like many others here I work daily with computers and without doubt, for myself, with hardware, I have seen more PSU issues than any other part of the PC.

Just because fans are spinning etc dont rule out the PSU as most of the time the power doesn't just "die" another fault could have occurred in the supply

System Name Cannon
Processor Intel Core i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus Z690-P D4
Cooling Corsair H100i PRO XT w/ Corsair ML120 White LED x2
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual 8GB
Storage 1TB 980 Pro w/Heatsink + 500GB 970 Evo Plus NVMe + 2TB MX500 + 500GB 850 Evo
Display(s) 34” Dell S3422DWG 3440x1440 144hz Curved + 27" Dell U2713H IPS 1440p + Dell P2219H IPS 1080p
Case Corsair 4000X RGB - 3xSP120 ELITE RGB (Front Intake) + 1xML120 White LED (Rear Exhaust)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z SE + Logitech z623 2.1
Power Supply Corsair RM850x SHIFT
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 || Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores None. Primary uses are browsing, music, gaming (mostly Battlefield & Doom) and virtualization!
Check the cable 1st but could be the PSU, the 1st place I would be looking anyway.

Like many others here I work daily with computers and without doubt, for myself, with hardware, I have seen more PSU issues than any other part of the PC.

Just because fans are spinning etc dont rule out the PSU as most of the time the power doesn't just "die" another fault could have occurred in the supply

Hadn't thought of that! Good shout! :toast:

dat789

OK. I've ordered a OCZ 650W PSU unit. Will probably arrive in 2 days time. Will let you all know the outcome.

dat789

Pins in the vga/Dvi plug lead are there bent or out like that

No, I've seen and the pins look normal. There aren't any noticeable anomalies.
I've checked the monitor's cable by plugging to laptop to work as an extended display and it works fine.

Also, it's a NEW graphics card. I used it for about 3 days before this happened. What else could be the reason? I've just ordered a new PSU 650W. Will post the outcome here.

JustaTinkerer

Processor FX-8120
Cooling Custom Water
Case Custom
Software LOL
No, I've seen and the pins look normal. There aren't any noticeable anomalies.
I've checked the monitor's cable by plugging to laptop to work as an extended display and it works fine.

Also, it's a NEW graphics card. I used it for about 3 days before this happened. What else could be the reason? I've just ordered a new PSU 650W. Will post the outcome here.

95% sure the PSU will do the trick, hope you get back and tell me if i'm wrong.

afreire

Good afternoon colleagues

I bought an ATI HD 4870 4800SERIES more precisely and installed 512mb 256bit up there all beauty crisys ran second in Maximo without ceremony, but had the unfortunate idea to format the machine using Windows 7 64bit and gain more memory.
Follow my procedure I did for a better view of events.
1 E7500 processor configuration, the source of 600w cooler, 4gb Ram, ATI4870 series HD, 300GB HD divided into two partitions.
2 worked fine on Windows 7 32bits
3 ° 64-bit Windows installed on the primary partition without the video card connected (note do not format the partition).
4 ° After the boot connected to the plate and was recognized in Windows 7 but kept the exclamation driver error 19 but I am mistaken.
I was 5 ° on ATI's site download the latest driver 11.11 (obs also tried the old so the new driver software so cataclysm) and installed as was done last time, after installing the driver asks you to restart windows but when loading the bios in windows 7 is just a few seconds after loading lock.
6 ° back to Windows 7 32bit now ta giving the same problem.

Conclusion!
-after installing the ati driver that give ta stick if I uninstall the card driver starts normally with the windows driver (but is recognized with exclamation mark).

next attempts
Delete the primary partition and create new windows 7 32bit then install again.
Install vista or XP to test.
Reset the BIOS on the motherboard.
Make a voodoo
cry

kyussgr

Hi techies!
Hoping to seek some advices here. First, thanks in advance for the welcome wishes :) Feel at home already.

I have installed the above graphics card to my system and been running for 3 days (since Wednesday). Updated its driver + installed Catalyst on Wednesday from its website and no changes since. Everything seems fine until this morning -- no display. Monitor says "No signal input"

I hope you can make something out of this. Before the new graphics card, I have the following:
  • 500W PSU
  • ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard (1 PCI-e slot)
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 500 GB SATA HDD
  • 500 GB SATA HDD
  • XFX nVIDIA GeFORCE 9800 GT 512 MB
  • Intel Core2 Duo E6600 @ 2.40GHz

These have been running without problems for over 2 years. I recognized that the HD4870 requires a minimum of 500W PSU, which I think is fine as I do have it. When I switch on my system this morning fans, lights, everything else is fine... just that the screen says "No input signal".

Connected display with laptop and it works. So here ruling out fault monitor.

Put back old graphic card (the GeFORCE 9800 GT). Nothing. Same message -- "No input signal".

I'm stucked. Help?

Try to gain access by doing the following:

1. Unplug the PC
2. remove the bios battery
3. leave the battery off for a few secs
4. Put the battery back on

By doing the above the motherboard bios settings will revert to the factory standard settings.

5. Turn the PC on
See if that makes a difference, if it does don't forget to go into the bios settings to put the correct time / date values.

Something else that you can do is to take the memory modules off and then put them back on.

I had huge problems with an ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard a couple of years ago and it turned out that the problem was the motherboard.....

dat789

Try to gain access by doing the following:

1. Unplug the PC
2. remove the bios battery
3. leave the battery off for a few secs
4. Put the battery back on

By doing the above the motherboard bios settings will revert to the factory standard settings.

5. Turn the PC on
See if that makes a difference, if it does don't forget to go into the bios settings to put the correct time / date values.

Something else that you can do is to take the memory modules off and then put them back on.

I had huge problems with an ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard a couple of years ago and it turned out that the problem was the motherboard.....

Did this and this worked. Got my display back. But I don't really know if the blackout will recur. The PSU is now sitting at the post office depot. Dammit!
By the way, which Mobo are you using now or which would you recommend?

Thanks!
dat789

kyussgr

Did this and this worked. Got my display back. But I don't really know if the blackout will recur. The PSU is now sitting at the post office depot. Dammit!
By the way, which Mobo are you using now or which would you recommend?

Thanks!
dat789

Hi,

I am glad it worked:)
Which one solved the problem? the bios or the memory fix?
I now have a DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS but these are out of production cause DFI killed its Lanparty range. It is rock steady 24/7 at 4.0Ghz but I would not recommend it as the support from DFI is very limited (I am running a beta bios right now :shadedshu)
Now if the problem reoccurs there are 3 avenues to choose.
1. Get a new socket 775 motherboard but....
You will soon realize that right now there are NO HIGH END socket 775 motherboards (especially the DDR2 variety). So whatever you find will be inferior compared to the current one in terms of specs. !update! Had a quick look on overclockers and scan and I couldn't find ANY socket 775 DDR2 boards. Buying a socket 775 DDR3 motherboard doesn't make sense cause if you are to change motherboard and memory give a few more pounds and go for options 2, 3
2. Get now an Intel socket 1155 Sandybridge combo (motherboard, CPU, DDR3) - in this case don't send the PSU back - ;) Although in terms of PSUs I would definitely recommend Seasonic. I have 2 of them, never had any problems no matter how hard I push (24/7, overclocked, 4 hard drives, raid, SSD raid, high end graphics etc.)
3. Wait till April or May 2012 for an Intel Ivybridge combo (motherboard, CPU, DDR3) which will support PCIe 3.0 - This is what I am planning to do.
Hope this helps.:D

Last edited:

dat789

Which one solved the problem? the bios or the memory fix?

I did both the removing of memory from mobo, and taking the battery out.
It's still running on the existing 500W PSU.
@JustaTinkerer said it could be a 95% probability it's PSU related? Well, it could be but it still doesn't quite fully explain why it's still running.

JustaTinkerer

Processor FX-8120
Cooling Custom Water
Case Custom
Software LOL
@JustaTinkerer said it could be a 95% probability it's PSU related? Well, it could be but it still doesn't quite fully explain why it's still running.

Bit obvious I was wrong, in my line of work, almost 100% hardware based, I see more problems with PSUs than any other part of the PC.

If resetting the BIOS is what fixed it then thats what fixed it. If it was re-seating the RAM then there was the answer.

If your looking for reasons why then all we can do is speculate.

Did you knock the RAM while taking out the graphics, putting it back in? etc etc

If you looking for me to qualify my statement then I can only go with my experiences, just as kyussgr went with his ASUS P5B Deluxe experience, I also owned one but never had any issues.

kyussgr

I did both the removing of memory from mobo, and taking the battery out.
It's still running on the existing 500W PSU.

Hi,

My P5B Deluxe developed a different but far far far more serious and nerve wrecking fault (cause it was not obvious and not common). But over the years (more than 25) and after lots of trial and error I developed a methodology to deal with these problems.

First rule is that you never make assumptions and you never rush to buy things.

Second rule is that before you do anything else you should try the following:

1. Clear the Bios
2. Get all the cards out of the PC (except from the graphics) and re-seat the memory
3. Try using another graphics card
4. Try to start the PC with one memory module (only)

If you do all the above and nothing happens, then go and buy another power supply (unless you have a spare one) ALWAYS running the personal risk that it is a mobo problem and not a PSU problem. Of course all the above is a crude methodology but it should point you to the right direction.

In JustaTinkerer 's defense the problem you reported is consistent with the failure of one or more rails of the power supply (I've seen that with an Enermax Galaxy 1000W PSU) so don't accuse him of giving you a bad advice.

You have to understand that asking for advice in a forum is like asking the doctor to make a medical decision without him properly examining you :)

Look at it another way.... Now you know how to deal with something similar in the future:toast:

Last edited:

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
your PSU is of which brand? how many amperes does it allow on the +12V rail?

dat789

Bit obvious I was wrong, in my line of work, almost 100% hardware based, I see more problems with PSUs than any other part of the PC.

If resetting the BIOS is what fixed it then thats what fixed it. If it was re-seating the RAM then there was the answer.

If your looking for reasons why then all we can do is speculate.

Did you knock the RAM while taking out the graphics, putting it back in? etc etc

If you looking for me to qualify my statement then I can only go with my experiences, just as kyussgr went with his ASUS P5B Deluxe experience, I also owned one but never had any issues.

:) Chill. When I was quoting you, never in my mind did I intend to accuse or rebut your suggestion. Apologies if I have come across as such but I have not. I just didn't understand the underlying problem.

Thing is... I believe you guys which was the reason why I did what was suggested in this very forum. It did work, yes? Thank you! :rockout: You guys rule! I'm not calling any of you bluff. haha! That'd be silly.

I came here to seek advices and learn.

Well, I've 'rushed' to get a new PSU anyway. I would need that sooner or later as I plan to have 2 displays. That'd tax the PSU too , right?

Let me know

dat789

your PSU is of which brand? how many amperes does it allow on the +12V rail?

I don't know about this yet but will let you know when I check it again when back from work.
Thanks! :toast:

dat789

I don't know about this yet but will let you know when I check it again when back from work.
Thanks! :toast:

It's an iCute 500W (www.icute.com.tw)
:)

Also, just checked the specs -- on a +12V1 and +12V2, it allows 20A for both.

How can we make use of this information (the +12V) to the new card I just installed? Is there a reference?

Last edited:

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
i am sure the PSU is causin problems. TBH i prefer a well branded one.

also your 4870 is 150W at stock settings. this means it will draw around 13Amps from the power supply.

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
I can definitely say iCute is not the most reputable brand.

It is a possibility the PSU has had enough.
Been opening up recently made PSUs as of yesterday and have been shocked to see the quality of some of these not well known brand names.

In my experience though, when this problem arises, it is usually a failed system board or some PCI card, generally an old 56k Modem which needs to be removed and reseated.

None the less, getting a reputable PSU is always a very important thing.
Unfortunately not many average consumers will go for a decent PSU when selecting components to build their rig.

dat789

I can definitely say iCute is not the most reputable brand.

It is a possibility the PSU has had enough.
Been opening up recently made PSUs as of yesterday and have been shocked to see the quality of some of these not well known brand names.

In my experience though, when this problem arises, it is usually a failed system board or some PCI card, generally an old 56k Modem which needs to be removed and reseated.

None the less, getting a reputable PSU is always a very important thing.
Unfortunately not many average consumers will go for a decent PSU when selecting components to build their rig.

Thanks. I've just got the 600W by OCZ. Would this be classed as one of the reputable brand?

dat789

i am sure the PSU is causin problems. TBH i prefer a well branded one.

also your 4870 is 150W at stock settings. this means it will draw around 13Amps from the power supply.

Installed the 600W PSU. Seems to be working fine.
Well, to be perfectly honest guys, while I may not know what caused the no-display, reseting the bios (taking battery out and back; also doing the same for RAM) seems to work fine. If that's the answer, then that is the answer to the solution. However, I still think to be safe is to have at least exceed the minimum wattage required by the graphics card in your PSU.

Would you all agree?
:toast:

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
It's a much better brand than iCute.

OCZ definitely as a good reputation for the most part in RAM and more recently SSD.

I don't know too much about the quality of their PSUs, but if the overall quality of the other components are something to go by then you can be assured the PSU will be of similar quality.

I'd say if you had the chance to open up the iCute PSU, you may find leaking capacitors rather than a lack of wattage, more of a problem sustaining the wattage.

What ATi recommends is based on a fully loaded system.
Which means a system that has all PCI slots used, all SATA ports used.

garaventalution

my radeon HD 4870 no signal problem!

hello
i was playing call of duty world at war on my pc with my friend on a skype call and all the sudden my computer froze and then i shut it down. or my computer shut down but anyway now sence that every time it turn on my computer my monitor does not even wake up it just sleeps so then i turn it on and it says no signal. i have tried another monitor and same thing i dont know what the problem is!
i would love to know what the problem is and what to do fast because im a youtuber and i get 10 or so msges a day asking when am i gonna get my computer fixed!
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.