• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Case Gallery] Oil Submerged HTPC Mark II

Macross

To view this case mod, go here.

Specs:
Intel E6500 @ 3.21Ghz
4Gb RAM
Nvidia GTX550 Ti
Swiftech MCP655
Koolance Quick Disconnects
60Gb Vertex SSD

Mods:
This is my second oil submerged HTPC. First one can be seen here http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2144.html
The original one has run for around three years with not one problem. The hardware was getting old and needed an upgrade so decided to build a new tank.
Same basic idea with some refinements. Submerged the pump in the oil to eliminate noise and make the entire computer one unit that can be removed from the oil by using the handles. Quick disconnects make is easy to remove the radiator. With the fans on low speed the machine is totally silent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macross

Just pushed up a youtube vid from my iphone

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Computer MkVIII
Processor 2500K @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth P67
Cooling CPU: 212+ EVO GPU: Stock
Memory 16gb G.Skill Ares @2133mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 SC
Storage 1x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Display(s) 24" Asus VE248
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX-650
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Love it, always wanted to try something like that, just looks so peaceful and out of this world, I mean who expects to see a PC submerged like that lol.

9/10 :D

Trifixion

i seen this done a few times but none look as good as this, but why the cpu heat sink? why not a spot fan strait on the cpu.
9/10

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Extreme 6
Cooling Thermalright Venemous X
Memory 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 480
Storage A-Data 128GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) HANNspree 25" 1080p 2ms
Case Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) Creative XFI
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 750w
Software Win 7 pro x64
I voted 4/10 because:

dont see the point in it

There is no point. It's like building a drag car --what's the point? You can't drive it anywhere except on the drag strip, it doesn't turn, it sucks on gas and will probably overheat at every red light. People still do it.
i seen this done a few times but none look as good as this, but why the cpu heat sink? why not a spot fan strait on the cpu.
9/10

Um.....because it's submerged in oil o_O

10/10. I know it's not the first one I've seen, but these are awesome. It takes BALLS and a lot of ingenuity to build something like this.

Macross

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Much appreciated.

Trifixion, you still need to dissipate the heat from the CPU over a large surface area. The CPU die heat spreader is just not enough area to get the heat away unless you dump liquid nitrogen on it. The CPU cooler just gives you a big surface area to het the heat away with. Plus the fan moves the oil around and it had a green LED :)

Macross

Wouldn't try this with a lga 2011 system!

Why not... there is no harm to the components... other than distroying your waranty and not wanting to plug them into any other system ever again. :D But other than that, they run perfectly. My last oily hardware ran for three years without a hitch... the only reason they stopped is cause i needed to upgrade.

Trifixion

There is no point. It's like building a drag car --what's the point? You can't drive it anywhere except on the drag strip, it doesn't turn, it sucks on gas and will probably overheat at every red light. People still do it.

Um.....because it's submerged in oil o_O

10/10. I know it's not the first one I've seen, but these are awesome. It takes BALLS and a lot of ingenuity to build something like this.

Um.....is that you sherlock? i just thought heat dispersing directly into the oil rather then a heat sink first would be better, not much surface area in my cpu water block.

Nemesis881

System Name Nemy's comp
Processor AMD Athlon x2 4200+ @ 2.61ghz
Motherboard ASUS A8M2N-LA
Cooling 1x250mm (side), 2x120mm (one front and back), 6000+ stock cooler
Memory 3Gb Corsair value select PC2-4200 (2x512mb and 2x1gb))
Video Card(s) XFX HD7770
Storage 320gb Seagate Baracuda / 160gb western digital
Display(s) ASUS 19" widescreen LCD. 1440x900
Case Apevia Jupiter-JR S-Type
Audio Device(s) on-board. Audigy died D;
Power Supply Ultra 600W X-pro
Software Vista Home Premium
This is probably the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life. I want to make one of these now...or at least change out my blue LEDs for green ones.

I have a few questions though:
-What kind of "oil" is that? Non-conductive liquid for water cooling I assume?
-Does the fluid evaporate over time? Do you have to keep topping it off every now and then?
-Is that a fish tank or a custom made tank?
-How much cooler does it make your processor/GPU compared to a standard air cooled comp?

oh and P.S.
10/10!!!

Macross

This is probably the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life. I want to make one of these now...or at least change out my blue LEDs for green ones.

I have a few questions though:
-What kind of "oil" is that? Non-conductive liquid for water cooling I assume?
-Does the fluid evaporate over time? Do you have to keep topping it off every now and then?
-Is that a fish tank or a custom made tank?
-How much cooler does it make your processor/GPU compared to a standard air cooled comp?

oh and P.S.
10/10!!!

Thanks Nemesis881.... I have to admit that i spend a lot of time just watching the bubbles flowing around the fans and components... its mesmerizing.

The oil is highly refined mineral oil. You can get it pretty easily. I buy it in 20L drums. It dosnt conduct electricity. In fact its used to cool large electrical transformers that hang off power polls in most neighbourhoods.

The oil level does drop over time.. but very little. My last oil PC only needed a slight top up after over two years of operation.

Yes, that is a regular fish tank. Choosing one around the right size is the hard part. Also finding one that you can get the perspex lid to sit in can be a bit trickey. I had to do a bit of dremel work to get the tank ready so the Perspex lid just sits in the right spot.

As for cooling, i dont know that it makes a huge drop in operating temps. The thing that i notice is that the system as a whole seems more stable as the heat is dissipated evenly over the whole system.. rather than getting hot spots here and there as you do when air cooling. I have overclocked this machine a little, but at the end of the day, the oil submerssion is for visual effect rather than any sort of super dupper overclocking. Its great fun and is a fantastic display in our living room... guests just loose thier minds when they see it!

System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
Missed one bit out on your system specs :p
For everyone else: Thermaltake Toughpower 550W EVO_Blue (I love these PSU's)

9/10

Processor Intel Xeon x5660 (4.2ghz)
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 24gb (6x 4gb DDR3 1600) Kingston Hyperx
Video Card(s) XFX Black r290x 4gb ddr5 OC
Storage 6x 2tb 64mb WD drives, Patriot Pyro sandforce2 drive ,intel 180gb ssd
Display(s) HP w2558hc
Case Corsair Carbine 500r
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Pro Fatality
Power Supply XFX 750 watt
Mouse Thermaltake Theron ee Sports+
Keyboard Corsair Vengence k70 RGB Cherry Red
Software Windows 8.1 x64

Macross

Oh cool... i just found some green EL Cable from a really old case mod i did and it still works.... wonder how i could best incorporate it into the oil PC without it looking too 80's 'Tron' like. any suggestions anyone?

KenHart1969

I like it.

I cant understand why you get a person giving you a 4 because they dont get it.

Case modding is unique to the person building it and this is a place to show your ideas and how you did them.

Regardless of colours and specs what really matters is in how it has been constructed and cables routed.

I too have seen mineral oil rigs before but I can see alot of time and effort in this one - nice rig.

System Name Salvaged
Processor AMD Phenom II X6, 1055T
Motherboard MSI (cant remember model..)
Cooling Antec Kühler + extra fans (Antec, Zalman, Coolermaster, Generic brand)
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD6870
Storage Samsung 1TB, 320 Seagate, 250 Samsung
Display(s) LG Electronics
Case ANTEC Sonata III 500 (found/salvaged + modified)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Power Supply It's made in Denmark, never seen a PSU made there..
Software Win7 X64 Ultimate
Damn, didn't notice that the PSU was in the oil aswell!
Great work!

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
Nice work! I've seen a few of these online over the years, none have been this high quality other than one called the HardcorePC Reactor. But that was a done by a company and sold for huge $$$.

Awesome :)

System Name Rigger
Processor i7 6700k
Motherboard MSI Z170 M5
Cooling CM SEIDON 240mm
Memory 16GB 3200
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA GTX 970 SSC
Storage 4TB WD Black/512 GB M2 SSD
Display(s) Acer M230HD
Case CM Storm Stryker
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply OCZ Fatality 850
Software WIN 10
this is freaking crazy.................. different

btw can anybody tell me which song in the video?