• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony's Anti-Class Action ToS Attracts Class Action Lawsuit!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
In perhaps one of the more ironic legal moves to be seen recently, Sony's clause in its Terms of Service preventing PlayStation 3 owners from filing class action lawsuits has itself attracted a class action lawsuit! The lawsuit was filed in Northern California in November, by a man on behalf of PS3 owners who signed up for the PlayStation Network before September, when the ToS were updated and this anti-class action clause added.

The killer clause is buried deep into the contract and is very hard to spot, requiring the contract to be read all the way through with a fine toothcomb - if the reader can rise to the challenge of reading the complicated and dry legalese it's written in. Compounding the problem is that the agreement isn't even readily available online for anyone to study - it can only be viewed on the PS3 itself (so the console is already used before you can even see the agreement - hardly fair?) and appears near the bottom of the 21-page form. Previous agreements had been posted online for anyone to inspect. On top of that, the only way of opting out of it, is to mail a physical letter to Sony within 30 days of agreeing to the ToS - very inconvenient and likely to be forgotten by the average person. The main thrust of the lawsuit are allegations of unfair business practices, since PS3 owners are forced to choose between forfeiting their rights or access to the PSN. Note that since Sony introduced this clause, Electronic Arts and Microsoft have both introduced similar clauses, which doesn't put them in a very good light either and potentially at the receiving end of a lawsuit themselves.

In its defence, Sony points to a previous Supreme Court ruling, which allowed it to do something like this. In it, the court ruled that AT&T was legally allowed to include clauses in employees' contracts preventing them from taking part in class action lawsuits against the company. We'll see if that ruling applies to this case and hopefully this effort won't be a complete flop for PS3 owners like the OtherOS lawsuit recently.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
Good article... contract difference is PS3 owners are not employee's and I'm sure AT&T employees were able to see the "contract" better than PS3 owners... sony is grasping at straws imo... Down with the network! lol

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Good article... contract difference is PS3 owners are not employee's and I'm sure AT&T employees were able to see the "contract" better than PS3 owners... sony is grasping at straws imo... Down with the network! lol

Thanks. :) Looks like a touch of Anonymous would help here. ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Gary said it all. I'll be interested to see how this works out. Will take years though.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
I bought all these games to play online and now I can't play them online cause I have to agree to the new TOS.

Count me in.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Well I hope SONY fails on this one and is severely fined.

Contracts between two parties should be clear, transparent and agreed in advance. And should not allow one party overt power to prohibit the other party from redress.

It certainly shouldn't be allowed that one party can significantly change or switch the terms after agreement/purchase UNLESS the other party explicitly and knowingly agrees and it is not a one-sided uncompensated event.

If the seller want to "force" a change, and if the buyer does not agree to this "forced change" then the buyer should have the right to claim the product can no longer be used in the way intended when purchased and can therefore claim refund by returning the item.

I fully disagree with "you buy the proprietary hardware" but only "license the proprietary software" and we can take that away from you. No. Because the proprietary hardware is useless without the software. In which case the seller should be obliged to buy back the hardware.

All rather complicated. Keep us updated with news.

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
Pretty much exactly what I was gonna say lol

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Well I hope SONY fails on this one and is severely fined.

Contracts between two parties should be clear, transparent and agreed in advance. And should not allow one party overt power to prohibit the other party from redress.

It certainly shouldn't be allowed that one party can significantly change or switch the terms after agreement/purchase UNLESS the other party explicitly and knowingly agrees and it is not a one-sided uncompensated event.

If the seller want to "force" a change, and if the buyer does not agree to this "forced change" then the buyer should have the right to claim the product can no longer be used in the way intended when purchased and can therefore claim refund by returning the item.

I fully disagree with "you buy the proprietary hardware" but only "license the proprietary software" and we can take that away from you. No. Because the proprietary hardware is useless without the software. In which case the seller should be obliged to buy back the hardware.

All rather complicated. Keep us updated with news.

Yes, I absolutely agree. It's only one sided like this, because it's a big corp against the little guy. The bold bit especially, is a really good point - Sony can trash the whole product just by a little tiny software change, so why shouldn't they be liable for the whole thing which the customer paid a lot of hard cash for?

Why do I have the horrible feeling that you're right. :(

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Because the precedent is there, unfortunately. It was decided by the SCOTUS already.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Memory GSkill 8GB Dual Channel DDR4-2800
Video Card(s) MSI GamingX RX580 4GB
Storage Kingston V300 240GB SSD + WD Green 2TB
Display(s) ACER K212HL 27" + Haier 55" + Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset
Case Enermax Ostrog (Red)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA B2 750W
Software Win10 64bit
I feel like we have been talking about legal/illegal/patents…etc stuff way to much recently.

It's sad and takes the fun out of the video game/computer hardware hobby.

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Because the precedent is there, unfortunately. It was decided by the SCOTUS already.

One minor detail here: this lawsuit is on behalf of those people who used the PlayStation Network before the ToS change. The Supreme Court case that you sited would apply to new users. Completely Bonkers has a valid point about a forced change that prevents you from using it the way you previously had. We can only hope that the judge sees it that way, too.