• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please help Newbie decide on Motherboard, THANKS!!!!!!!

So a couple of days ago I posted about upgrading to a Phenom II x 4 645 with a combo deal through Ascendtech from my crappy Intel E2200 chip. Well anyways after further research and pulling some of my reserve money, I was able to purchase the following:

Intel i5 2500 (non K version, don't plan on overclocking, no online gaming)

I plan on also purchasing the following:

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

I already upgraded to a 600W Cool Master PSU over my stock 250W. I plan on using the existing equipment from my current PC:

SAMSUNG HD501LJ [Hard drive]
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10L [Optical drive]
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190S [Optical drive]
Front Mounted Memory card reader
Front Mounted USB/audio ports

Case I am using is an HP Pavillion a6442p (link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01403218&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3715502&tmp_track_link=ot_search#N77)

I have never built a computer before, but have been reading loads of materials in preparation for the swap. I also am willing to take it into a "professional" if needed and pay them $50 to do so, but am hoping I can do it myself. Research has shown me that I have to meet at least the following conditions:

Form Factor: micro ATX
Socket: 1155
Chipset: H67 (this is because I don't have money to purchase separate graphics card right now and P67 does not have a graphics controller which will access the internal graphis built into the i5 2500)

Now I would like to purchase from Newegg (which is where the memory will come from) so I can take advantage of the free 2 day shipping. I would like a cheap (but decent) motherboard. Here's a couple I have found and just can't decide between them. Could you please give a preference and explain why (as I am new to this and don't know that much):

MSI H67MS-E23 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 - $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130598
MSI H67MA-E35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 - $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130569
MSI H67MS-E43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 - $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130584
ASUS P8H67-M LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131712

There are several more, but I have never heard of Biostar or ASRock brands. I also don't know about Intel brands. My price cap is around $110 (but less is better if at all possible). If you see another one on Newegg you would recommend would you please post it. Only thing I am concerned with as far as performance is speed in DVD ripping. From what I understand my HDD and optical drives are SATA drives. I have no known need for ide support. If you could help me decide, I would appreciate it. Also one last thing, when I install my new CPU I plan on using a Fujipoly Thermal Pad (6.0watt/mk) or a Phobya Thermal Pad (7W/mk). Could you tell me which one is better and what thickness I would probably need (.5mm, 1.0mm, 1.5mm). Thanks again.

Processor just a few i7's all AMD's gone to friends
Motherboard Mother F%#@& am I board
Cooling It's called Alberta Canada.
Memory Don't remember.
Video Card(s) Hope for blckjack
Storage hurt my toe's when droped
Display(s) never big enough
Case I think they call it a lost case
Audio Device(s) What speek up I'm old.
Power Supply Good old coffee
Software when you get this old everything is soft
Benchmark Scores Always on the bench never on the field.
If you don't plan on overclocking the MSI H67MS-E23. When you install the CPU don't use thermal pad's, the stock thermal paste that comes with the chips cooler will be better.

If you don't plan on overclocking the MSI H67MS-E23. When you install the CPU don't use thermal pad's, the stock thermal paste that comes with the chips cooler will be better.

Thanks, there is also this one in case Biostar is a decent brand:

BIOSTAR TH67+ LGA 1155 Intel H67 - $105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138296

One other question, when installing memory I see on some boards there are 4 slots, usually two of one color and two of another. If you are only using two memory cards do you put them in the same color, opposite colors, or put both in the two slots closets to/furthest away from the CPU (if that makes since) or does it not matter. Should I stay away from Intel boards. I just thought that since its the same make as the chip it might be better. Also, what about AsRock (decent brand or not). Thanks again

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
One other question, when installing memory I see on some boards there are 4 slots, usually two of one color and two of another. If you are only using two memory cards do you put them in the same color, opposite colors, or put both in the two slots closets to/furthest away from the CPU (if that makes since) or does it not matter. Should I stay away from Intel boards. I just thought that since its the same make as the chip it might be better. Also, what about AsRock (decent brand or not). Thanks again

It depends on the motherboard. It will be in the manual where to put the ram. :)

Memory Don't remember.
If you don't need HDMI out I would stick with the MSI.

If you don't need HDMI out I would stick with the MSI.

Well I figured now it's gonna have to be the second MSI board I listed or the ASUS. Haven't decided yet about HDMI. Don't nee it right now, but might in the future. Thing I just realized is the first and second board I just posted don't have USB 3.0 ports, only 2.0. For me that's a "no go" as I plan on transferring my DVD collection to an external Hard Drive and the extra speed will come in handy.

Ok, this might be a time for stupid questions, so disregard them if you want.

1) Do you believe windows will transfer as long as the HDD does? If you don't have the activation code for a retail copy of windows, and change hardware substantially, you're looking at another $100 minimum for an OS.

2) No overclocking, and a tight budget, seem to be your constraints. As such, you might want to consider an H67 based mobo.

3) Branding is fun.... By this I mean brands often vastly fluctuate in quality, depending more on price than a name. This being said, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, and Asus are all decent names. Avoid Biostar and DFI like the plague. This is, of course, only my opinion. Other people's experience may vary.

Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu

1) Do you believe windows will transfer as long as the HDD does? If you don't have the activation code for a retail copy of windows, and change hardware substantially, you're looking at another $100 minimum for an OS.

2) No overclocking, and a tight budget, seem to be your constraints. As such, you might want to consider an H67 based mobo.

3) Branding is fun.... By this I mean brands often vastly fluctuate in quality, depending more on price than a name. This being said, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI, and Asus are all decent names. Avoid Biostar and DFI like the plague. This is, of course, only my opinion. Other people's experience may vary.

Biostar is now a very viable brand, above MSI IMO, and on the same level of Asrock, and just behind Gigabyte and Asus.

luckystelephones

Can I ask you why you say avoid DFI? (being a DFI CFX3200-DR user for many years) I'm considering a new build using ASUS but just wondered, I realise it's only your opinion so don't want to start an argument but what do you base that opinion on?
Cheers matey, Lucky

Memory Don't remember.
I'm with Paulieg on Biostar boards. Just take the time to read some of Dave's reviews here on TPU.:)

1. No, I bought my PC with Vista and have a Windows 7 Disk to reload with. I know I will have to call Microsoft and probably get another Activation Key after explaining the situation (at least this is what I hope I am able to do).

2. As far as overclocking, I understand I can a little on the i5 2500, but no where like the K version. However, I just didn't plan on doing so. I do no online gaming and am so new at this, I didn't even know what overclocking was until about a week ago. I did state in my original post that I will need an H67 board in order to use the internal graphics in the CPU, because if I read correctly the P67 series does not and I was hoping not to have to buy a graphics card at this time.

3. Thanks for the suggestions, there are so many brands and for someone just getting started it's hard to know prior reputations of such brands without having used them.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Last edited:
So far here's the three finalist:

MSI H67MA-E45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130570

ASRock H67M-GE/HT (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157235

ASUS P8H67-M LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131712

Please Help

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
The Asrock but really, I think you should get a Z68 board.

If I understand correctly, can the Z68 Chipset also use the internal graphics in the Intel iCore CPU's without an external card like the P67? If so, "dang, it more choices". (I can always add a card later, but blew the card money on the CPU)

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
Yup, all Z68 boards can utilize the iGPU and they have the option of overclocking at a later point in time. Must add if you ever wish to add on an SSD, it can utilize SRT.

If you don't mind going an extra tenner, it's a little bit better board.
ASRock Z68 PRO3-M LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb...

Yup, all Z68 boards can utilize the iGPU and they have the option of overclocking at a later point in time. Must add if you ever wish to add on an SSD, it can utilize SRT.

Thanks again. Decided not to be so frugal and disregarded the Anthlon II x 4 640 and build more toward something I'll be happy with over the next couple years.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
Yeah, I see that. At stock it's quite a bit faster than the 640. Will let you go though, just giving you more options to check out. :)

EDIT:

Hey, you already purchase the i5 2500? Another option is to go and base it on an FM1 socket/A75 Hudson chipset although would wait for Boxing day as thats when the new unlocked k series cpu's gets released for it. Gets you twice as good integrated video for a little cheaper, although MAY be sacrificing CPU speed a tad.

Last edited: