• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

U.S. Army Attacks the CryEngine

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Does it train you to stay calm and focused under enemy fire? I mean really, how can a game prepare you for a 5-mile insertion with 100 lbs on your back and the slightest pain?

It's not to physically train you.

It's to simulate your expected mission in a sandboxed environment, without the immense risk of an IRL convoy with blanks, full gear.

Mission logistics are multiple times more complex than Call of duty. Being physically located in an area you have never been, looking for something or somewhere, with only a GPS to guide you, and no little mission arrow to point you is an extremely different scenario than most video games paint it to be.

IRL Simulations (Even CONUS at places like NTC) commonly have major injuries and even deaths, in preparation for OCONUS missions.

I've used similar convoy simulators, and they are very fun, while eye opening at the same time as to the real situations you may occur.

I programmed battle simulations when I was in the Army back in the mid/late 90's. They of course were nowhere as graphically pimp as this. If we had this kind of power back then, wow, can only imagine how much more fun we could have had.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
The combat simulator we had at Ft Drum was very nice but GFX wise it was outdated. It was the full room with a hmmwv setup and a screen in front and you are driving down the road in a urban combat environment then you take contact and react.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
The combat simulator we had at Ft Drum was very nice but GFX wise it was outdated. It was the full room with a hmmwv setup and a screen in front and you are driving down the road in a urban combat environment then you take contact and react.

-or-
RUN OVER ALL THE THINGS!

manson_ze

System Name Asus G50 vT
Processor C2D 8300 3mb
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800 GS 512 DDR3
Storage seagate 320 gb
Display(s) 15"
Case Cooler Master CM690
Software WIN Vista 64 bit