• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tkpenalty's X1950~HD4k Clubhouse

xXDynamosXx

Processor AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 2.8Ghz @ 3.0Ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4
Cooling Aspire LED fans, 2x 120mm 1x 80mm, Stock cpu cooler
Memory 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 PC6400 Dual channel
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X1950XT (HIS)
Storage 250GB Western Digital Sata, 320GB Western Digital Sata
Display(s) Sony LCD Moniter
Case Xion XON-001
Audio Device(s) Realtek High definition Audio (Integrated)
Power Supply Xion Supernova 600W
Software Windows XP x64 edition, F.E.A.R
is this what your looking for?

also onthe main page my Draw goes from 2.5A to 5.5A.. seems a bit low for a card that requires 34A on 12V rail... but I dont know

Attachments

• Volts.PNG
    Volts.PNG
    25.1 KB · Views: 535

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
is this what your looking for?

also onthe main page my Draw goes from 2.5A to 5.5A.. seems a bit low for a card that requires 34A on 12V rail... but I dont know

the draw goes up from when you start useing 3d things games/atitool fuzzy cube etc.

:eek: yep your volts are to low this is what mines at at 3d

Attachments

• atitool.jpg
    atitool.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 481

xXDynamosXx

Case Xion XON-001
Interesting I can set the voltages to that of yours and it doesnt reset when I run 3D at 621/900 but it sytill seems unstable So is this a Powersupply issue than or not

FYI the power supply im using does not have a dedicated 6pin PCI-E rail im using an adapter with a standard 4pin molex rail

Simple question :)

Do you think the Sapphire X1950XTX has the very same cooler of the 1950XT 256MB?

xXDynamosXx

Case Xion XON-001
Not sure but If I we're you i'd stay away from saphire all together, their Cards runs at a higher temp than that of HIS

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
Interesting I can set the voltages to that of yours and it doesnt reset when I run 3D at 621/900 but it sytill seems unstable So is this a Powersupply issue than or not

FYI the power supply im using does not have a dedicated 6pin PCI-E rail im using an adapter with a standard 4pin molex rail

why do you think its unstable? what is it doing that makes you think that?

and i cant tell you if the adapter is the prob. never used one before sorry

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
Simple question :)

Do you think the Sapphire X1950XTX has the very same cooler of the 1950XT 256MB?

:wtf: no XT's have the same as the 1900's did

xXDynamosXx

Case Xion XON-001
It atifacts for one and resuming fro mthe screensaver is very messed up makes the screen very artifacted for a breif moment.. so im not sure... those voltage levels are those stock or did you modify those on your own?

Also, When the voltage is turned up and im running the fuzzy cube thing at 621/900 its really jittery and not fluent and also the draw is at 27.5A whats your run at?

Last edited:

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
It atifacts for one and resuming fro mthe screensaver is very messed up makes the screen very artifacted for a breif moment.. so im not sure... those voltage levels are those stock or did you modify those on your own?

Also, When the voltage is turned up and im running the fuzzy cube thing at 621/900 its really jittery and not fluent and also the draw is at 27.5A whats your run at?

the voltage are stock 3D volts, and on draw I get 27.3A and 24.5A it changes back and forward

also when I run the fuzzy dice try not to have you pointer on anything that would bring up text, cuz mine starts to kind of skips when I would put it on atitool on the temps and the text would come out then it would start skiping

and the artifacts does it just happens when atitool open ? try running some beanch marks and see if you get any artifacts like 3DMARK 05,06 for examples

xXDynamosXx

Case Xion XON-001
I will try 3dmark05 as soon as it download here, however im pretty sure that this is a Inadequate power supply problem here

sym8olo

Hi,
I have been reading the Sapphire forum and others and making occasional posts for some time now (since early Jan) I really hope someone out there can suggest something that I haven't read (and tried) on any of the many forums I have combed through looking for an answers. I've piled hours and hours into this card and I'm at the end of my teather. I have been waiting for the DFI street forum to re open, as I think I may have an incompatability, or as least there may be some advice here that I cant get elsewhere re motherboard compatability. So please be patient and read this carefully I know its alot of info but I dont want to have to repeat myself too much. Here's the story so far.

The problem. No POST except twice ever.

When I have had the card running, it works like a dream, and temperatures are well below anything that would cause concern.

I've used-
HIPER Type R 580wPSU - no post no fans, didnt even work with my geforce 6800gt. RMAd, and refunded.

Corsaire HX620W - Runs system with my old card fine, No post beep but all fans 100%, just a black screen.
Cleared Bios -nothing
Tried with no CD, DVD, Sound card, just one stick of ram and graphics - NO Post.
changed ram bank and module around, NO Post
changed leads to PSU around in every combo on every connector- nope

Played with Bios settings- Init Display First - tried every option - nothing

RMAd and refunded

Finally Liberty Enermax 620W and POST and played for 3-4 hours with 1950pro -no artifacts and delighted.
restarted several times no problem BUT powered off, powered on and ,,, no POST

Tried with no CD, DVD, Sound card, just one stick of ram and graphics - NO Post.
changed ram bank and module around, NO Post
changed leads to PSU around in every combo on every connector- nope

Played with Bios settings- Init Display First - tried every option - nothing

re-installed latest mobo bios and chipset drivers- nothing

Checked the heatsink is contacting the memory properly and it is.

RMA'd the card back to Overclockers. Who tested it (probably once) got it to post and run 3dmark and sent it back.

Installed the card as before (uninstalling my Nvidia card, using driver cleaner pro in safe mode as appropriate) nothing.
Powered off then on and CARD POSTS FINE! with all my ram and devices plugged in. I installed the drivers off the CD and had a fantastic 4 hours play loving it! Updated to the 7.1 catalyst and restarted and everything.

Powered off, powered on and - NO POST..
Tried about 50 times. no joy..

Submitted a support ticket to Sapphire asking whether the card requires you to manually set AGP drive strength. see below quote re what that is, but this is clutching at straws and I dont expect that to get an answer.-
"This BIOS feature will only be activated if you set the AGP Drive Strength BIOS feature to Manual. It determines the N transistor drive strength of the AGP bus.
The drive strength is represented by Hex values from 0 to F (0 to 15 in decimal). The higher the drive strength, the greater the compensation for the motherboard's impedance on the AGP bus.
In conjunction with AGP Drive Strength and AGP Drive Strength P Ctrl, this function is used to bypass AGP dynamic compensation in cases where the auto-compensation circuitry cannot provide adequate compensation. Please check with your graphics card manufacturer if your card requires the N transistor drive strength to be manually set."

I am so sick and tired of all this f-ing around but i cant get a refund and I would rather not loose the £140 on top of the phone bills and delivery costs for all the returns I've had to do.

Please help because this is a fantastic card and all I read are people having minor issues but then solving them or getting new and perfectly functional cards and LOVIng it.. I BEG you to help me as this is the last chance before I take a hammer to the card and despair.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Firstly could you go to "user CP" and post your full system specs there , it makes it easier for people not to have to read the post over and over.

You seem convinced it's the 1950Pro yet you have thrown so many other ingredients into the pot so that may well be uncertain, for example, system didnt work with Hyper 580 so you RMA'd it, you have tried the 6800 and no post etc, etc, as you have probably gathered it makes it so much more difficult to pin down when you put so many options in the hardware basket so to speak.

On the surface of it I would say that you could have a motherboard fault, bad bridge connection or something that intermittently is letting power thru to chips/controllers on the board or it could be a faulty mainboard power connector that occasional gives contact. If you have tried the 6800 in there and it's not worked could even be a faulty PCI-E slot.

When you have cleared CMOS on the many attempts have you removed battery also? Silly I know but I assume when you have "played with BIOS" you have Primary graphics set to PCI-E and not PCI?

With your specs up we can check motherboard and the rest so idea's might start coming in.

xXDynamosXx

Case Xion XON-001
@ Dom

I tried running 3dmark 05 and when i start the benchmarking the systems freezes and reboots :cry:

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
@ Dom

I tried running 3dmark 05 and when i start the benchmarking the systems freezes and reboots :cry:

well can you try another PSU? cuz you OC on your CPU is 100% stable right ?

xXDynamosXx

Case Xion XON-001
yea my cpu is 100% stable never crashes the OS.. however i was running 3dmark05 on Vista now that im back on xp x64 im going to try it one more time

Sorry guys who haven't been added... I got shaped and yeh T_T... also I'm too busy atm.

K... Dynamos, Vista will not allow 3DMark05 do some of the benchmarking because Vista thinks the procedures may involve "non premium content".

xXDynamosXx

Case Xion XON-001
im installing MCE 2005 on a friends PC at the moment and I will be installnig 3dmark05 on my pc afterwards, i'll post the results after:)

sym8olo

Hi Tatty, long time no see well. now you know why!! lol the CPU Still runs nicely at 2400 normal volts thanking you kindly! But obviously not when trying to install the new card (iust stock all attempts)!
I've had my system spex in User CP for a while- doesn't it show ? Well I've just changed my signature so it should follow my posts now. In answer to your questions:
Yes I tried every PSU with my old setup and the HIper didnt work with it but the others worked fine.
Yes I took the battery out when clearing the CMOS.
Whats next? or would you indeed now conclude its the motherboard fault?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
Hi Tatty, long time no see well. now you know why!! lol the CPU Still runs nicely at 2400 normal volts thanking you kindly! But obviously not when trying to install the new card (iust stock all attempts)!
I've had my system spex in User CP for a while- doesn't it show ? Well I've just changed my signature so it should follow my posts now. In answer to your questions:
Yes I tried every PSU with my old setup and the HIper didnt work with it but the others worked fine.
Yes I took the battery out when clearing the CMOS.
Whats next? or would you indeed now conclude its the motherboard fault?

Ohhh it's you! I am starting to think it may be the motherboard, I went through some similar grief last summer, what you need to do is go thru all the variables so everything needs to go to stock, all timings and volts on "auto". You then need to borrow a graphics card for half an hour and see if the system will boot, if it will, fine then its prob your card if not then go thru the process disconnecting periphials, using one stick of ram and if still no posts then its likely to be mainboard.

sym8olo

Ohhh it's you! I am starting to think it may be the motherboard, I went through some similar grief last summer, what you need to do is go thru all the variables so everything needs to go to stock, all timings and volts on "auto". You then need to borrow a graphics card for half an hour and see if the system will boot, if it will, fine then its prob your card if not then go thru the process disconnecting periphials, using one stick of ram and if still no posts then its likely to be mainboard.

Yes its meeeee. I've done that, I have my old card and it does post fine, as i say, theres no problem with the system as is, nor any ram module, I've benched and stressed everything during my overclocking exploits. Now I have everything set to stock and I've gone through the process above and nada. :(

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Overclockers and they say they probably wouldnt have powered off and then on again when testing, so I got them to issue me another RMA. We will see if I send it or not, in the mene time any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
Looks like rma time then I am afraid, ask for your money back and I'll let you have a brand new (warranty return) 1950XT or worse case 1800XT for cheaper :D

You gotta watch them ATi cards tho, they can be a bit dodgy!

sym8olo

Looks like rma time then I am afraid, ask for your money back and I'll let you have a brand new (warranty return) 1950XT or worse case 1800XT for cheaper :D

You gotta watch them ATi cards tho, they can be a bit dodgy!

AGP?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64

Stikk

Power Issues

Hey everybody!

sorry to be a pain, im sure this has been covered before, but i just got myself a PowerColor X1950PRO (AGP) and i went to install it last night only to find the box had some ridiculously high power requirements on it!! My PSU is pretty weak, 350W with 15A on the 12V rail and i kinda knew i needed a new one before i could use this card and 450W is not excessive but 30A?!?! Where the HELL am i gonna find a PSU that will give me 30A! The highest i can find (at a reasonable price) is 500W and 25A on the 12V rail.. Will this PSU drive my card or do i really need 30A? If so, where should i look for one cuz i live in Perth, Western Australia (the biggest small town in the world, for all of you who have never been here :p ) and there are a few decent computer shops but i cant find a PSU that powerful! Also, i dont wanna end up spending as much as i spent on the card on a new PSU!

Please help! This is really annoying me!!

Thanks in advance
Ollie