• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Develops Next-generation Display, 'Crystal LED Display'

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Full HD 55-inch Prototype model Exhibited at 2012 International CES

Sony Corporation ("Sony") today announced that it has developed the next-generation self-emitting display, "Crystal LED Display", and presents a Full HD, 55-inch prototype model at the 2012 International CES (International Consumer Electronics Show held in Las Vegas, Nevada, from January 10 - 13, 2012). It is the industry's first 55-inch Full HD self-emitting display using LEDs as the light source.

"Crystal LED Display" Full HD 55-inch Prototype

The "Crystal LED Display" is a self-emitting display that uses Sony's unique methods to mount ultrafine LEDs in each of the Red-Green-Blue (RGB) colors, equivalent to the number of pixels (approximately six-million LEDs for Full HD). The RGB LED light source is mounted directly on the front of the display, dramatically improving the light use efficiency. This results in images with strikingly higher contrast (in both light and dark environments), wider color gamut, superb video image response time, and wider viewing angles when compared to existing LCD and plasma displays, with low power consumption. Furthermore, due to the display‟s structure, the "Crystal LED Display" is also ideal for large screens.

Compared to existing LCD displays, the 55-inch prototype exhibited at CES is boasting approximately 3.5 times*1 higher contrast in light environment, approximately 1.4 times wider color gamut, and approximately 10 times faster video image response time (all values based on current Sony models). Sony envisages a wide range of applications for its "Crystal LED Display", ranging from professional to consumer use. Parallel to its continued development and commercialization of organic light emitting diode (OLED) displays, Sony will work conscientiously to bring the "Crystal LED Display" to market.

Main specifications of the prototype
Panel size: 55-inch
Number of pixels: 1,920 x 1,080 x RGB (Full HD: uses approx. 2 million each of RGB LEDs,
a total of around 6 million LEDs)
Display elements: RGB LEDs
Brightness: Approximately 400 cd/m2
Viewing angle: Approximately 180 degrees
Contrast (dark environment): More than measurable limit values
Color gamut: More than 100% compared to NTSC (xy)
Power consumption (panel module): Under approximately 70W*2
Notes to editors

*1 Average of the front of the screen and a diagonal direction (45 degrees), with environmental illuminance of 100 lux
*2 Average power consumption using moving picture video signal stipulated by IEC62087 Ed.2.0
For more information please contact
Sony Europe PR Team
e: press@eu.sony.com

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Effectively an LED based OLED TV

Wrap your head around that :laugh:

System Name Raptor
Processor Core i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 Tomahawk WiFi
Cooling ArcticFreezer 420
Memory Corsair VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz C36
Video Card(s) Palit GameRock 3080Ti OC
Storage M.2 Addlink S70 Lite , Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB, SanDisk Ultra II 480GB, 1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG27AQL1A
Case LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) Realtek® ALC4080 Codec + Philips SHP9500
Power Supply Seasonic GX-1000
Mouse G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard ASUS CERBERUS
Software Windows 10
1920x1080 @ 55-inch :wtf: next generation Minecraft.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
It really makes me wonder why Sony is doing parallel development on LED & OLED, since it appears that the display quality is about the same. The LED version is likely to have longer life, too.

Having LED finally replace the compromise that is LCD technology is very exciting to me, so I'd like to do an editorial comparing Sony's strategy with the two technologies, but I really don't know enough about them to comment meaningfully. If anyone can help find more info on them and let me have it I'd be very grateful.

LED/OLED would be the true successor to CRT & plasma displays.

turtile

It really makes me wonder why Sony is doing parallel development on LED & OLED, since it appears that the display quality is about the same. The LED version is likely to have longer life, too.

I'm pretty sure Sony dropped OLED development a long time ago (at least for large screens).

Near 180 degree viewing angle and huge color depth look amazing!

Benetanegia

Having LED finally replace the compromise that is LCD technology is very exciting to me, so I'd like to do an editorial comparing Sony's strategy with the two technologies, but I really don't know enough about them to comment meaningfully. If anyone can help find more info on them and let me have it I'd be very grateful.

LED/OLED would be the true successor to CRT & plasma displays.

I remember reading about SONY quitting OLED bussiness or something. It was here on TPU just a few days ago, I think.

EDIT: lol you posted it, qubit -> http://www.techpowerup.com/158255/Sony-Quits-Consumer-OLED-Display-Business-For-Now-Only-.html

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I remember reading about SONY quitting OLED bussiness or something. It was here on TPU just a few days ago, I think.

That was me. :)

I'd like to know why they've moved from OLED to LED - and that's a much harder question to answer without some quality info. The main thing I can think of, is the lifetime of OLED panels must still be an issue. I suspect that OLED might actually give a better picture than LED, which is why they are still making it for rich corporate customers who can afford to replace expensive panels frequently, but without any hard info to go on, it's all speculation.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

I'd like to know why they've moved from OLED to LED - and that's a much harder question to answer without some quality info. The main thing I can think of, is the lifetime of OLED panels must still be an issue. I suspect that OLED might actually give a better picture than LED, which is why they are still making it for rich corporate customers who can afford to replace expensive panels frequently, but without any hard info to go on, it's all speculation.

OLED's are to good and amazing and they want to sell other crap first. IMO.

turtile

I'd assume it's cheaper to make.

Benetanegia

Yeah, I'd like to know too. It looks like just another Sony technology that is very similar to a tech that everybody else is working on, but Sony decides to do differently, just for the sake of it. Sony likes doing this kind of thing for some reason and I dont think it ever ends up in profit overall, but I guess the accountants know better. Blu-ray did work out well for them, but it's only 1 out of 10 times that works. I don't know.

As for this LED technology, idk either, iirc most everyone abandoned the idea because it was difficult to get "ordinary" LEDs to emit enough light or OLEDs were far easier and cheaper or something. It looks, again, like Sony pushing a tech that is more expensive and has doubtful if any advantages, but which has Sony controlled IP. Just like Intel does, being a large corporation they can sometimes force ther own "standards" over the others.

OLED is amazing tech. I've been lucky enough to see a demo, and with infinite contrast comes picture quality that actually looks real.

Its really, really good stuff.