• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Launches the XPS 13 13.3-inch Ultrabook

Dell today unveiled its ultraportable XPS 13 laptop, the most compact 13.3-inch Ultrabook featuring an edge-to-edge glass, near "frameless" display, all-day battery life, and the latest innovative technology for a superb overall user experience.

Starting at 2.99 lbs., and less than a quarter-inch at its thinnest point, the XPS 13 combines performance-oriented thoughtful design with the latest Intel technology, such as Rapid Start and Smart Connect, to enable users to be productive, connected and responsive anywhere.

The latest and most mobile laptop in Dell's portfolio, the XPS 13 is part of Dell's high-end XPS brand, which is now 20 percent of Dell's total consumer laptop business. Revenue for XPS laptops has increased 207 percent over last year when the company re-launched the brand to better meet the needs of today's mobile professionals.

The XPS 13 delivers second-generation Intel Core i5 or i7 processors, Intel HD 3000 graphics and a bright high definition WLED 300-nit display for outstanding viewing experiences, packaged in an elegantly-designed, ultraportable laptop. For users who store movies, music and photos, the XPS 13 has 128 GB and 256 GB solid state hard drive options, plus an additional 100 GB of cloud storage through Dell DataSafe for seamless content backup and sharing at no additional cost. Additionally, all XPS 13 units include a 12-month Skype Premium subscriptioniv to always stay in touch.

"The XPS 13 is the culmination of an extensive design and development process focused on creating the best Ultrabook on the planet," said Jeff Clarke, vice chairman, Global Operations and End User Computing. "It is specifically engineered to help both our consumer and commercial customers be more productive and connected in every way possible. From the edge-to-edge frameless display that packs more screen into a compact body, to the innovative carbon fiber base that is lightweight and cool to the touch, the XPS 13 exemplifies our commitment to offering industry-leading mobile solutions that deliver durability and performance without compromise."

Lead with Style and Never Miss a Moment

Purposefully designed and artfully built since it was first conceived in 2010, the XPS 13 maximizes the Ultrabook experience for users: edge-to-edge display with hardened Gorilla Glass; a full-size backlit keyboard with a large glass touchpad with integrated buttons and multi-gestural support; and up to eight hours, fifty-three minutes of battery life. All in a package starting at 2.99 lbs.

The 13.3-inch high definition display with slim bezel fits in a body size similar to the form factor of an 11-inch product, making it the most compact Ultrabook available. (Other 13.3-inch laptops offer the same viewing area but with up to a 15 percent larger footprint.) The carbon fiber composite base extends the design process, offering a premium visual appeal, and is lighter and cooler to the touch than aluminum.

Keeping connected and getting online quickly is now a reality. The XPS 13 is one of the first Ultrabooks to feature Intel Smart Connect technology, which wakes periodically to detect known networks and update calendar and email. With solid state drives and Intel Rapid Start technology, the XPS 13 boots in seconds, giving customers the performance of a laptop with the instant gratification experience of a smartphone. Dell will also integrate location awareness via Skyhook and Google Places shortly after launch. Because the ultrathin and compact XPS 13 is ideal for use on the go, staying connected will be even easier for those who are first to buy one. The first 10,000 customers to purchase an XPS 13 in the U.S. will receive a free T-Mobile 4G Mobile HotSpot and 90 days of free mobile broadband service at up to 4G speeds on America's Largest 4G Network with no annual contract at time of purchase. The T-Mobile 4G HotSpot lets customers stay connected on the go by linking up to five WiFi devices to high speed Internet using America's Largest 4G Network.

"When Dell began the conversation of what an Ultrabook could be, we carefully considered how to provide customers not only incredible mobility, but also the kind of performance experience you would expect from something much larger," said Steve Felice, president and Chief Commercial Officer of Dell. "A 'good-enough' Ultrabook wasn't good enough for us. We were committed to developing what an Ultrabook can and should be with the XPS 13 and providing a superior user experience."

"The XPS 13 represents the most balanced of the Ultrabook class of notebooks to hit the market so far," said Rob Enderle, Analyst for the Enderle Group. "Ultrabooks started by forcing people to make a choice between beauty and practicality and Dell took the time to make sure their offering would not only be very attractive, but address the critical needs of business and education buyers as well. Perhaps the best way to describe the XPS 13 is 'beautifully uncompromised.'"

Best of Both Worlds - Enterprise Friendly Features that the IT Department will Love

Dell went a step further with the XPS 13 to create appeal for all customers - for work and for play - and has made it easier for IT departments to choose laptops that offer the security and services they value in a fit and finish executives and employees demand. Enterprise-friendly features include standard Trusted Platform Module for BitLocker Data Encryption and optional ProSupport after-sales service and Configuration Services such as custom imaging and asset tagging. Combined with available customer service options, including concierge and software support, the XPS 13 is one of the most balanced Ultrabooks available for any need.

America's Best Protection Plan for Consumers

Dell wants its home customers to experience the XPS 13 with the best standard protection planv in the industry. In addition to the Limited Hardware Warranty, Dell is including one year of Accidental Damage Service and one year of theft protection with Computrace LoJack for Laptops Theft Recovery Service as standard. Accidental Damage Service provides customers with peace of mind by protecting against drops and spills and other accidents that may occur. Computrace LoJack for Laptops Theft Recovery Service helps track, locate, lock down and recover a stolen system, and can even remotely delete sensitive data.

Understanding its customers' need to purchase responsible products, Dell designed the XPS 13 with the environment in mind. Its energy-efficient LED displays have no mercury or arsenic and Dell eliminated harmful toxins such as Brominated Flame Retardants and Polyvinyl Chloride (BFR/PVCs). The XPS 13 is shipped in many locations with sustainably harvested bamboo packaging material. Every XPS 13 can be configured to be ENERGY STAR qualified, helping customers reduce energy costs. When the time comes, Dell offers multiple recycling options (learn more at Dell.com/recycling).

Detailed Information:

- Ultrathin laptop (0.24-0.71"/6-18 mm) with Microsoft Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium; precision machined aluminum with a carbon fiber composite base
- Intel Core i5 2467M and i7 2637M processor choices
- 13.3" HD WLED, 300-nit (1366x768) 720p; edge-to-edge hardened Gorilla Glass
- Intel HD 3000 video graphics
- 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz memory
- 128 GB SSD or 256GB SSD drive options
- Full size, backlit chiclet keyboard; glass integrated button touchpad with multi-gesture support
- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 802.11 A/G/N and Bluetooth 3.0 wireless connectivity
- High definition audio with Waves MaxxAudio 4
- Built-in 47 WHr 6-cell battery (Dell XPS 13 batteries are built into the laptop and are not replaceable by the customer) offering up to eight hours, fifty-three minutes of battery life; 45W AC adaptor
- USB 3.0 (1) + USB 2.0 with PowerShare (1), mini Display-Port, and headset jack (1)
- Built-in 1.3 MP webcam (H.264 enabled via Skype) with dual array digital microphones
- Dell ProSupport for business customers, Dell Configuration Services and Windows Trusted Platform Module options for commercial models
- Dimensions: Height: 0.24-0.71" (6-18 mm) / Width: 12.4" (316 mm) / Depth 8.1" (205 mm); Weight: starting at 2.99 lbs (1.36 kg)

The XPS 13 will be available at the end of February in the United States through www.Dell.com, and in select retail stores nationwide at a starting price of $999 with an Intel Core i5 processor, 128 GB SSD hard drive and 4 GB memory. Customers can reserve the XPS 13 on www.dell.com starting today. The first 10,000 customers in the U.S. to purchase an XPS 13 will receive a free T-Mobile 4G Mobile HotSpot and 90 days of free mobile broadband service at up to 4G speeds on America's Largest 4G Network with no annual contract at time of purchase - a value of more than $200. The XPS 13 will be available in select geographies around the world in March 2012.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
I know all these manufactures are just spitting these ultrabooks out like hotcakes from some reference design, but don't you think ONE of them would actually design a mainboard and throw in a mid range videocard? That's all we want. I am not asking for a Blade or anything

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
1366x768?hd3000? really? in 2012? bah.

System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
how does this even have the XPS branding for such a meh specced laptop. :/

1366*768 is not high definition. If people stop buying such trash maybe the OEM's will get the memo about the shitty low resolution screens.

Processor Intel Core i5 4570
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Kingston ValueRAM CL9 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTS450OC-1GL
Storage 1TB WD Black + 1.5TB WD Black + Kingston V300 120GB
Display(s) T200HD
Case Delux MZ401
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Enermax NAXN 500W
Software Windows 8 Pro x64
Why u no understand this :banghead:
Now seriously... The purpose of the ultrabook was that many manufacturers make many models on the same barebone which was defined by Intel. That's why all of them have these CPU choices and none of them has dedicated graphics chip. If it has it is not a an ultrabook anymore.. it is just an ultrathin multimedia laptop then. The ultrabooks are designed to offer multimedia performance in a small size, they have nothing to do with anything more than that, and for its purpose the HD3000 is enough so is the screen too. You will have a HD or HD+ 13 inch screen on such a computer you will only be able to use it at HD movies to span on the whole screen because for daily use the 1366*768 res is much more confortable.. of course cheaper to produce. This is basically intended to be the netbook done right.. a bit bigger..packs more punch.. but should be used the same way as a netbook or a htpc at most.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
... but should be used the same way as a netbook or a htpc at most.

Perhaps it's because my HTPC packs a couple HD6990's in Crossfire! :D

The reason it has 720p is because of text size. If you put full 1080p on it, you will need a magnifier to read text. Even 900p will be pushing.

I currently have Clevo 151 which is a 15 inch laptop with 1080p. The text are pretty small, barely big enough for me to read comfortably.

The reason it has 720p is because of text size. If you put full 1080p on it, you will need a magnifier to read text. Even 900p will be pushing.

I currently have Clevo 151 which is a 15 inch laptop with 1080p. The text are pretty small, barely big enough for me to read comfortably.
Any modern operating system can scale the UI if needed without any issues. That argument isn't valid, I'm afraid.

Any modern operating system can scale the UI if needed without any issues. That argument isn't valid, I'm afraid.

Nope, UI can scale down with issues. I've tried it, it has issues. Thus, I am stuck with 1080p on 15inch screen. I'd have preferred 900p on 15inch and 1080p on 17inch. 720p on 14in and smaller.

djcl.ear

I dont understand DELL...

This XPS design is just superb for portability-needing Audiovisual technicians...
And at Jan 2012 -via Ivy Bridge- we are at a few months of Thunderbolt included in Win Laptops, that means firewire, Madi, and etc, etc meaning a plaetora of PRO connections that translates in very low latency connections and wide versatility.
(Magma has just released a Thunderbolt to PCIe external portable box).

Additionally Ivy will also mean, from 2-3hrs to 4-6hrs of real battery capacity augment PLUS lowering the laptop temperature for the same processor performance...

Therefore many potential users are waiting to see Ultrabooks with capacities like said here and DELL's XPS and Vostro lines are expected to bring those to the table... let's say at may 2012.

I just don't understand this release, even if Intel makes this XPS Ivy Bridge upgradeable (which so far has negated it for cougar point mobile chipsets) and carries ExpressCards (to replace thunderbolt versatility at low latencies), Ultrabooks like this one still would lack native USB3, while functioning at high temperatures and with comparable lower battery capacity...
In sum, this line will be obsolete for mid 2012!!!

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
Now seriously... The purpose of the ultrabook was that many manufacturers make many models on the same barebone which was defined by Intel. That's why all of them have these CPU choices and none of them has dedicated graphics chip. If it has it is not a an ultrabook anymore.. it is just an ultrathin multimedia laptop then. The ultrabooks are designed to offer multimedia performance in a small size, they have nothing to do with anything more than that, and for its purpose the HD3000 is enough so is the screen too. You will have a HD or HD+ 13 inch screen on such a computer you will only be able to use it at HD movies to span on the whole screen because for daily use the 1366*768 res is much more confortable.. of course cheaper to produce. This is basically intended to be the netbook done right.. a bit bigger..packs more punch.. but should be used the same way as a netbook or a htpc at most.

Well buddy the fact is we do understand, and frankly so does APPLE[MBA-1440X900]

SO WHY THE HELL CANT DELL DO IT? they want our money, so make a damn laptop that has a decent resolution for crying out loud, its the MAIN INTERFACE =THE SCREEN!!!
They could do it, and folks would pay more for it, its a marketing ploy to allow upgrade envy when they do finally do it on preceding models i feel.:mad:

System Name GaMEr / HTPC
Processor FX8320 4.5ghz so far NB- 2815mhz / X2 255 @ 3.2ghz (Temp till BD)
Motherboard 990FX-UD5 / GA-MA785GPMT-US2H
Cooling XSPC - 240rad 480rad 5 x 120mm out, 6 x 80mm in / H220-edge 1/2" & 2 x 120mm Magma
Memory 4gb PI 6,8,6,18 1T 1706mhz / 4gb Crucial D9's 1400 @ 6,6,6,18,1T
Video Card(s) 3gb HD7950 / Onboard
Storage 2 x 120gb Sandisk ultra plus 2tb WD / 60gb vertex 2 + 2 x 2tb WD Greens
Display(s) 3x24in Dell Ultra (portrait) / NEC 32" FullHD LCD
Case LL PC71A Full tower / Antec fusion black with Imon remote Modded for WC
Audio Device(s) OB / Auzentech cinema 7.1
Power Supply TT 700w TR2 / TT 600w Litepower modded with Noctua S12 fan.
Software 7 Ult / 7 premium x64
I think people miss the point here - The screen res at that size screen is more than adequate, I have a 14in lappy with that res and it looks at good as my 24in at 1920. They are not designed to be gaming or mulitmedia powerhouses. They are designed to be ultrathin, ultraportable laptops for everyday use and the i5 / hd3000 combo does this perfectly. If they were to have dedicated gfx cards they would need more cooling, more airflow, more heatsinks and hence more weight taking them out of the ultrabook category and into the general notebook category. Simple!

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
It is fine if you don't want a higher resolution display DrunkenMafia but I do, I have been pissed for years that we are still on 1920x1080 when we should be to denser display types by now.

960×640 in 3.5in. I want that kind of dpi/ppi on my notebook.