• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BF3 Helicopters Too Much Like The Real Thing – May Be Decommissioned

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
In a somewhat ironic case, Electronic Arts is claiming First Amendment rights to depict helicopters made by Textron, parent company of Bell Helicopter, without permission. EA has been in talks with Textron about using the likeness of their helicopters in EA's games, but the two sides are unable to come to an agreement. Now, EA can feel a lawsuit from Textron coming on, so they have made a pre-emptive strike with one of their own, according to a copy seen by Kotaku, which was filed on January 6th in the federal court for the Northern District of California. On December 21st, Textron had demanded that EA stop depiction of three of their Bell helicopters, the AH-1Z Viper, an attack helicopter (pictured) the UH-1Y, a multipurpose/transport helicopter; and the V-22 Osprey (jointly produced with Boeing) whose distinctive tilt-rotors allow for vertical and short takeoff and landing.

EA has a better chance of winning this than one might think, since a landmark Supreme Court ruling in June that video games have the same free speech protections as other expressive works as film, books and music. Since that ruling, EA has prevailed in a similar case, where a federal judge ruled that EA's depiction of a recognizable, but unnamed real-life college quarterback without his permission, was within the bounds of free expression.

And why is it ironic? Because big media companies are always complaining about 'piracy' and people misusing their intellectual property without proper compensation. They then get dodgy internet censorship laws like SOPA drafted in to supposedly combat it. However, they are more than happy to do the same to others, in this case Textron, hence this is just another case of hypocrisy - and why didn't EA sort this out before releasing BF3 in the first place? If Textron said no, regardless of what kind of deal EA tried to make, then they should simply respect Textron's decision and use different helicopters, not demand use of them without any compensation under "fair use". Of course, they might have a bit of a problem in picking which other helicopters to use, as all of them are made by someone, who is likely to object, but that's another story. So, be prepared for some very generic-looking helicopters if EA lose this one.

See here and here for previous examples of hypocrisy that we've reported on.

These are the real-life versions of the three disputed helicopters, the AH-1Z Viper, UH-1Y and V-22 Osprey:

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Thanks to INSTG8R for this great tip. :toast:

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Yeah what is good for the goose should be good for the gander . But when it comes to these Hypocrites it is a one way street . They love to hide behind laws like freedom of expression and the like but on the back hand tell every one how it is illegal to do the same thing . I hope they loose just because they are being so one sided then draft up laws to limit our freedoms !

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
They just need to rename them and change some of the body panels. They should have known better to use them without permission of the company that owns the trademarks to them.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I think the bitch here is Textron, not EA-DICE, there's no irony. Games are works of art, like films. No filmmaker comes to an agreement with the maker of the props he's using. EA clearly disclaimed on the box of BF3 that it doesn't intend to endorse manufacturers of any of the weapon-systems depicted in the game. Textron is instead jeopardising the free PR it's getting through the game.

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
what are they gonna sue every company that ever made a flight sim next? seriously they need to just GTF over it. are they gonna sue valve next for using the osprey in Half-Life... its not like EA is making knock-off helis...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I think the bitch here is Textron, not EA-DICE, there's no irony. Games are works of art, like films. No filmmaker comes to an agreement with the maker of the props he's using. EA clearly disclaimed on the box of BF3 that it doesn't intend to endorse manufacturers of any of the weapon-systems depicted in the game. Textron is instead jeopardising the free PR it's getting through the game.

I'd say they're both the "bitch" on this one, if one really thinks about it. Textron is certainly getting free PR - and lots of it. The irony, is as I explained, because of the hypocrisy involved.

Reactions: Fx

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'd say they're both the "bitch" on this one, if one really thinks about it. Textron is certainly getting free PR - and lots of it. The irony, is as I explained, because of the Hypocrisy involved.

No, just Textron. There's no hypocrisy. EA didn't 'steal' designs, it's not a weapons manufacturer. < insert filmmaker > doesn't have to come to agreement with Lamborghini for the Gallardo he's about to crash in the film. I'm sure EA didn't come to agreement with Lockheed over depicting F35 Lightning II (in Back to Karkand), no weapons manufacturer enters such agreements to begin with. I know UAC-Sukhoi Bureau won't (which had its Su27 airframe design stolen by China's Shenyang bureau). You don't see them bitching about it, because they're getting free PR.

In Battlefield 2, where you could play as PLA, Chengdu J10 was depicted, do you know how popular it made that fighter? International depiction on a videogame? It became a pride for Chinese to 'fly' a J10 or 'ride a Type98 tank (both Chinese in-house designs), in battles against Abrams and F16s, and inspired many other local game studios to make games on PLA. Beijing was OK with it.

To get your product depicted in a video game is an achievement, not an IP issue.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
what are they gonna sue every company that ever made a flight sim next? seriously they need to just GTF over it. are they gonna sue valve next for using the osprey in Half-Life... its not like EA is making knock-off helis...
Most got permission in advance. If Valve never claimed it was a V-22 Osprey in the game, they likely wouldn't care.

I don't have Half-Life so I can't check the credits for "V-22 Osprey design used under license from Bell/Boeing." BF3 has AH-1Z Viper written all over the place.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
This is just a BS case. Those choppers are the best to control in game vs the Russian counterparts. Flown them all multiple times and can honestly say I prefer to fly them vs the Havoc/etc. If anything, it advertises for Bell. Really, take the positive advertising ya jerks!

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
No, just Textron. There's no hypocrisy. EA didn't 'steal' designs, it's not a weapons manufacturer. < insert filmmaker > doesn't have to come to agreement with Lamborghini for the Gallardo he's about to crash in the film. I'm sure EA didn't come to agreement with Lockheed over depicting F35 Lightning II (in Back to Karkand), no weapons manufacturer enters such agreements to begin with. I know UAC-Sukhoi Bureau won't (which had its Su27 airframe design stolen by China's Shenyang bureau). You don't see them bitching about it, because they're getting free PR.

In Battlefield 2, where you could play as PLA, Chengdu J10 was depicted, do you know how popular it made that fighter? International depiction on a videogame? It became a pride for Chinese to 'fly' a J10 or 'ride a Type98 tank (both Chinese in-house designs), in battles against Abrams and F16s, and inspired many other local game studios to make games on PLA. Beijing was OK with it.

To get your product depicted in a video game is an achievement, not an IP issue.

Well, it's funny how much we agree. :) The only slight difference, is that I say they're both being jerks, while you only think Textron are being jerks. Let me put it in different words and see if we can reach a full agreement. I disagree with this bit only: "No, just Textron. There's no hypocrisy."

Textron: their brand is undoubtedly being enhanced by being featured in BF3 and should be glad to be in it. However, for dumb mystery reasons known only to them, they don't want to be in it, likely without some sort of payment or royalty from EA. :rolleyes: I think this is wrong of them, but it's their right. One could also argue in Textron's favour perhaps, of how much difference does it actually make to sales of their helicopters anyway? Think about it, governments aren't gonna buy their products because they featured in some video game! No, they'll go by the usual tendering processes that have been around forever. Therefore, one could argue that it's reasonable for Textron to demand payment from EA, as the benefit is not mutual.

EA: They should respect the wishes/rights of another company's intellectual property, regardless of whether they are being reasonable about it or not. If Textron want to take a hatchet to their brand and not feature in an uber game, then EA should respect that and use something else. We well know that if EA didn't like something of theirs featured in another product, they'd damned well bring out the rottweillers lawyers and expect everyone else to respect their IP rights, regardless of whether EA is right or wrong about them. However, because the case is the other way round, they're bleating on about "fair use" and trying to use Textron's IP against their wishes. Do me a favour! :rolleyes::rolleyes: This is where the source of the hypocrisy comes from.

I do very much agree with your last line. If I were Textron, then heck, I'd probably be handing out detailed schematics (nothing classified of course) to EA to help them make their simulated helicopters as realistic as possible, regardless of any direct and obvious commercial benefit to me. But that's just me.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Hmm hope smith and wesson not to mention all of the other gun manufactures don't get a stick in there ass. Funny how the entire COD series depicts AK47's, AK74's, M16's, M4's, etc without repercussion helicopters are no different IMO.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
< insert filmmaker > doesn't have to come to agreement with Lamborghini for the Gallardo he's about to crash in the film.

You are wrong, if there is a Logo/Model name they have to. There is a lot of TV series where you can see cars with brands covered up.
If it's a trademark it doesn't matter where you use it you need owners approval. Dice fault that they didn't ask for it before using. But I think its a smart move from DICE as if they would ask each company if they can use it in their game 100% of trademark/name owners would reply with a price. This way they only need to handle them picky companies that notice it and the rest which is ignored/unnoticed they get free.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
You are wrong, if there is a Logo/Model name they have to. There is a lot of TV series where you can see cars with brands covered up.
If it's a trademark it doesn't matter where you use it you need owners approval. Dice fault that they didn't ask for it before using. But I think its a smart move from DICE as if they would ask each company if they can use it in their game 100% of trademark/name owners would reply with a price. This way they only need to handle them picky companies that notice it and the rest which is ignored/unnoticed they get free.

Interesting point. It's a classic cost-benefit equation.

Processor e8200 3.93mhz@1.264v
Motherboard P5E3 Pro
Cooling Scythe Infinity
Memory 4gb of G.Skill Ripjaw 6-7-7-18@1404 and 1.62v
Video Card(s) HIS 5770 v2 940/1275mhz stock volts
Storage 1TB Hitachi
Display(s) Acer 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Blue Cooler Master Centurion
Audio Device(s) Onboard audio :(, and Klipsch 5.1 Pro Media's
Power Supply 650 Watt BFG
Software Vista 64 Ultimate
I am sick of all the software pirates jumping at any and every justification they can. I am disturbed by our news writer who advocates piracy. It needs to go! It is just a matter of time before this becomes a pirates haven. Besides, I thought we came here for hardware not software!

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I don't see EA changing the design of the choppers and giving them fake names. This would change the way EA has done many things in the past and that is realism (Of sorts). Having real weapons and weapon names is what makes battlefield (along with other aspects).

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I am sick of all the software pirates jumping at any and every justification they can. I am disturbed by our news writer who advocates piracy. It needs to go! It is just a matter of time before this becomes a pirates haven. Besides, I thought we came here for hardware not software!

Yes, indeed you must be disturbed to actually think I'm advocating piracy. :laugh: I think this must be the best pathetic whinge I've seen in a while, lol.

And I'm a 'him', not an 'it', thanks. ;)

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I fired up BF3 today trying to find the "disclaimer" but damned if I could find it. Was something along the lines of the tech portrayed in the game yada yada. Kinda like the end of films to the effect likeness etc is purely coincidental. I wish I could remember it and where the heck I saw it. I think they have their butts covered to a certain extent.

I mean is General Dynamics Land Systems gonna come after EA because of the Abrams? Are all the gun manufacturers gonna be next? Honestly I think it's a bit over the top and well frankly a little late. IF Textron has such a big problem with their products being portrayed in this game they coulda stopped this during the long beta period...I think they should be proud that so many of their products are represented in the game...

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
These are war machines. They don't need any brand recognition or advertising. I don't give a shit how much money anyone on this forum has... You can't buy an armored Viper, Cobra, Osprey, Lightning, Frog, Shitter, Sea King. These contracted purchases.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Or getting more by going through all this garbage which financially seems incredibly silly. :confused:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
The Osprey is junk anyway. Let em remove it.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.