• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Lightning Bolt is USB 3.0 Over DisplayPort

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
So Amd plan is not to compete with intel.....but simply copy everything intel does........BRILLIANT

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I thought(I know, in fact, was USB and daisy-chaining devices, and AMD had a hub that they never released for the daisy-chaining side of things) DP 1.3 supported USB over DP anyway...what's the big deal here? Is it the hardware that joins the USB 3.0 with DP, or what? I am missing something here...

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel is the one who created the actual Thunderbolt specification and they own it and allow anyone to use it royalty-free.

While it is true that Intel is the one who actually created the Thunderbolt spec, if it is royalty-free and as good/fast as it is, why isn't everyone jumping on it yet instead of just Apple? Riddle me that.

Not positive on this

USB uses 5V where most monitors and the like would like at least 12V.

Maybe 12V for powering but most likely not for actually communication. I am no video communication signaling expert but I am pretty sure no standard video communication uses 12V on the cable due to power/heat issues (for the silicon) and EMI/crosstalk. 5V/3.3V/2.5V/1.2V LVDS are the general signaling used in such systems as far as I know.

From the sounds of it, they're talking two data packets and two power lines in one cable. That's not innovative; that's fumbling.

I will agree if this is the case. Hopefully though they are actually working on combining the technologies in some way. To my knowledge both USB3.0 and DP use 5V differential signaling using 8b10b encoding which seems to suggest that they could be reworked with a moderate amount of effort to allow both techs to exist on the same line.

System Name Queen Bee
Processor 3570k @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte UD3 Z77
Cooling Water Loop by EK
Memory 8GB Corsair 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming WaterCooled
Storage 1x Western Digital 500GB Black 1x Intel 20GB 311 SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2420G
Case CoolTek W2
Power Supply Corsair 650Watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
It's like a lower cost Thunderbolt, with about half the speed, that's actually really cool. Thunderbolt has a fairly expensive controller, plus 10Gbps is more speed then what is needed, 5Gbps is more then what a standard external hard-drive can take advantage of. Yes in the future Thunderbolt with double the bandwidth is more future proof, but as a right now solution Lightning Bolt is the better alternative.

System Name The Black Mamba
Processor AMD FX-8150 @ 4.8 GHz + 2.5 GHz CPUNB
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Cooling Custom water, HeatKiller 3.0 LT, Swiftech MCR320, 3 GentleTyphoon 1850 RPM, OCZ HydroPulse 800
Memory Super Talent 2000 CAS 7 @ 2100 7-7-7-21 1.70v / GSKill Pi 2133 CAS 7 @ 2250 7-10-7-27
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire Vapor-X HD5770's @ stock
Storage 2x 640GB Caviar Black in RAID 0
Display(s) 22" ASUS something + 20" Sceptre something
Case Lian-Li "Lancool" PC-K62
Power Supply XFX Black Edition 850w 80 Plus Silver
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Too many to list ;D
Everyone here is confused and broadcasting confusing information.

Intel/Apple Thunderbolt Codename "Light Peak": PCI-E 2.0 x4 + DisplayPort combined to make a high speed, versatile interface for all your peripherals. Devices are daisy chained and any device in the chain can access another. Peak bitrate is currently 10 GB/s. However, it's really only used for displays right now, which makes no sense as it takes up lanes on the PCI-E bus and we already have outputs from video cards themselves. Cables are active and cost $40-50...not exactly Intel or Apple's smartest ideas, however Apple can market even a turd to consumers. I usually call their MacBooks "polished turds".

AMD Lightning Bolt (they should watch they don't get sued for the name): USB3.0 + DisplayPort + Power over Lightning Bolt combined to make a high speed, versatile interface for all your peripherals. Devices are daisy chained. Peak bitrate is 5 GB/s (USB 3.0 standard). It does what Thunderbolt does and provides power however peak rate is 2-4x slower.

SSD's can barely saturate 5GB/s right now, why people are whining about peak speed I'm not sure. Half of us don't even have internet a fifth the speed of the rest of the world. Most I can buy here is 15/1 MB/s @ $65 a month while in other countries 50/20 MB/s can be had for 35 euro. I choose to complain about what's more important.

Last edited:
System Name ITX Desktop
Processor Core i7 9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi Z390
Cooling Arctic esports 34 duo.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC White PRO
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Intel SSD 660p
Case NZXT H200
Power Supply Corsair CX Series 750 Watt
.......of the most trusted computer hardware websites that's been around....

Yeah.Anand is one of the most TRUSTED websites , like Toms, SA, fudzilla,hardocp.....

There is a reason why I come here for news and reviews.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Maybe 12V for powering but most likely not for actually communication. I am no video communication signaling expert but I am pretty sure no standard video communication uses 12V on the cable due to power/heat issues (for the silicon) and EMI/crosstalk. 5V/3.3V/2.5V/1.2V LVDS are the general signaling used in such systems as far as I know.
The 5v and 12v is to power devices off the cable without requiring a second cable. It's only power--no data.

I will agree if this is the case. Hopefully though they are actually working on combining the technologies in some way. To my knowledge both USB3.0 and DP use 5V differential signaling using 8b10b encoding which seems to suggest that they could be reworked with a moderate amount of effort to allow both techs to exist on the same line.
If they're both on the same wires, it further erodes the available bandwidth. Let's also not forget that Thunderbolt has far longer cable length capability than USB and DisplayPort.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
While it is true that Intel is the one who actually created the Thunderbolt spec, if it is royalty-free and as good/fast as it is, why isn't everyone jumping on it yet instead of just Apple? Riddle me that.

Because (as yet) few manufacturers see the need for it. It's expensive to implement and is very much a niche interface for high-bandwidth low-latency applications like external graphics cards. For everything else, USB 3.0 does what's needed at a fraction of the cost.

Apple has an advantage here because they can integrate Thunderbolt on all their machines and you get it whether you want it or not (that assumes you're dumb enough to buy overpriced Apple shit in the first place). Whereas notebooks, and particularly motherboard, manufacturers have to decide whether adding $50 (or whatever the Thunderbolt implementation cost is) to the price of their hardware will make for something the consumer wants to buy, or will simply put their product in a price range no consumer will pay for.

For example, if you can buy a motherboard for $299, or you can buy one for $349, and the only difference between them is that the latter one has Thunderbolt... which one are you gonna buy? If you don't need Thunderbolt - and most people won't - you'll go for the $299 board.

Simple economics.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
Yeah.Anand is one of the most TRUSTED websites , like Toms, SA, fudzilla,hardocp.....

There is a reason why I come here for news and reviews.

If you think that your opinion will gather more respect than Anand you are seriously mistaken.

Syborfical

I love how everyone has there 2 cents about this technology but no one is using it :)

System Name ITX Desktop
Processor Core i7 9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi Z390
Cooling Arctic esports 34 duo.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC White PRO
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Intel SSD 660p
Case NZXT H200
Power Supply Corsair CX Series 750 Watt
If you think that your opinion will gather more respect than Anand you are seriously mistaken.

I don't want to gather any respect.

Biased sites are biased.:shadedshu

The 5v and 12v is to power devices off the cable without requiring a second cable. It's only power--no data.

I must be misinterpreting your original post. I was under the impression you were saying 12V is supplied in the video cable. Guess I am guilty of trying to read between the lines. Anyways, it sounds like you're on the same page since what you are saying here is exactly what you quoted me on.

If they're both on the same wires, it further erodes the available bandwidth. Let's also not forget that Thunderbolt has far longer cable length capability than USB and DisplayPort.

Bandwidth is only a concern if you are using it. Are you telling me that everyone uses their system to their maximum bandwidth...I don't think so. I think you should look at the technology as adding more flexibility and purpose to a graphics system. Mainstream users don't utilize most of their systems capabilities/bandwidth; if AMD can find new ways to allow endusers to use unused ports then kudos to them. Don't get me wrong...if I had a choice between this and Thunderbolt, I would choose thunderbolt (atleast at this point in time).

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

They had an exclusivity agreement with Intel. One that is now expired.
I must be misinterpreting your original post. I was under the impression you were saying 12V is supplied in the video cable. Guess I am guilty of trying to read between the lines. Anyways, it sounds like you're on the same page since what you are saying here is exactly what you quoted me on.

Bandwidth is only a concern if you are using it. Are you telling me that everyone uses their system to their maximum bandwidth...I don't think so. I think you should look at the technology as adding more flexibility and purpose to a graphics system. Mainstream users don't utilize most of their systems capabilities/bandwidth; if AMD can find new ways to allow endusers to use unused ports then kudos to them. Don't get me wrong...if I had a choice between this and Thunderbolt, I would choose thunderbolt (atleast at this point in time).
Bandwidth may not be an issue for a single device, but will add up to an issue as you add more devices to the chain. Hell, a single serious RAID array will easily saturate either interface.

While Thunderbolt is definitely a niche product with few mainstream uses, Lightning Bolt is nothing but a kludge.

R_1

I hope your ;)
So, to avoid thunderbolt license fees (or less than a $) we now substitute those fees for USB3.0?
There is no licensing. Intel is the sole producer of Thunderbolt controller and it is pricing it at $25 per chip. USB 3 is incorporated in AMD A75 chipset, so it's free. They will do that new thingy as native support. Some additional feature of the chipset , like Intel Smart Response. No additional hardware needed, effectively free for the end user.